Chapter 25

Follow me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XXV Return 

“To tell the truth, though, I don’t think l deserve your kindness. I’m trying my best to be a much better person, but things aren’t going so well. The next time we meet I hope I’ll have my act together. Whether that will happen or not, I don’t know.”

- Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

 

***

 

The trip from Sungmin’s home was silent and cozy. The bus ride was slow and almost hypnotizing. They took the bus at evening and rode all night. The light from the passing cities illuminated the darkness that surrounded them. The steady rhythm of the wheels and thud of the bus lulled them to sleep. Their heads moved with the rhythm the vehicle made. The bus’s light lit up faces in a warm hue of amber. Ryeowook’s head wobbled on Kyuhyun’s shoulder as he dozed off. Kyuhyun’s eyes were half closed, peering beyond Ryeowook’s head and outside of the bus. They will be back to his apartment in a few hours and he already feared what will happen to them. All that time when Ryeowook was away, he tried to lure the enemies and search for Evil’s plan, but found nothing. The only thing that he discovered was the fact that they wanted Kyuhyun and Ryeowook to be together. Durring the past years without the other,  Evil didn’t show up. Kyuhyun knew it was risky to bring Ryeowook back, but it was the only way for him to know and catch Evil in his plan. He was an angel but Ryeowook? What did the other have that would make Evil so scared and alarmed, that he wanted to kidnap him?

 

The streets were empty and hushed, just some faint sounds of cars could be heard in the distant. : Their steps were heavy, laden with sleep.. It was almost a new day, yet the sun still was down as they went down the street. Their shoulders touched as they walked side by side, saying nothing.

The wooden stairs made an awful noise under their feet as they reached the apartment. The door opened with a click and Kyuhyun shifted a step away, giving Ryeowook access to get inside first. Entering the house - Ryeowook first, their shoes stayed in the hall as they wobbled sleepily into the living room. Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were greeted by the darkness of the room, their eyes gradually adapting to the dim light provided from the hallway.

“Nothing changed.” Ryeowook said, turning back, amazed by all of it.

“I I felt that I shouldn't change anything. Just in case you came back.” Moving across the hallway, Kyuhyun placed their luggage down

"Really? ... Thanks." Kyuhyun spies the blush on Ryeowook's face and opts not to embarrass him, and instead heads into the kitchen.

“Want some water before going to sleep?” He asked. After the latter nodded his head he poured water for both of them. “You must be tired. You know where the bedroom is right?” He handed Ryeowook the glass of water.

“I know, but you are sleeping there already.”

“Yeah, but you can take it back.”

“Must I? Why can't be share the bed together?” Ryeowook asked, Nonchalantly sipping him water as if the question wasn't strange.

“No, we can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Because...” Kyuhyun tried to think of a reason, yet couldn’t find one. He longed for Ryeowook but was scared that if he were to be too near to the other, he will take advantage of their proximity.

“Good answer but it’s not working for me. I’m going to shower then I’ll wait for you in your bed.” Ryeowook said and left  Kyuhyun speechless. It was so blatant, Kyuhyun wasn’t ready for it. Ryeowook really did change.

After taking a shower, Kyuhyun got inside his bedroom and saw Ryeowook on the bed already. Inside the other’s palm was the pot of forget-me-not.

“It grew a lot.” Ryeowook said, as Kyuhyun approached him. His fingers touched the plant gently.

“Because I took  good care of it.” The angel explained, laying on the bed next to the other.

“Indeed, you took great care of everything.” The human put the plant to their previous spot on the nightstand and snuggled into Kyuhyun’s side. He rested his hand on the other’s waist. “Did you take care of any other humans when I was away?”

“I did.” The other man said, looking that the shorter man into the eyes. “I took care of them but never like how I took care of you. I helped homeless people, gave them food, a place to sleep and other things. I couldn’t bring anyone here. To me, you’re the only that belongs here, no one else.” Ryeowook’s heart felt warm when Kyuhyun said these words. His words were like an indirect confession, that no one was the same as Ryeowook. Ryeowook just hummed with a nod, then smiled. He snuggled close to Kyuhyun and closed his eyes. He was about to fall asleep, but he remembered something.

“Kyu.” Ryeowook said, as he looked at the other’s face again.

“What?” The taller man asked looking back at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter