Chen, Lay and Kris

These Men of Mine

I want to thank disobey for this story idea. It will probably not be a one shot (not that my other stories have been one shots) but since 3 members are supposed to like Aileen I want to stretch it out so it can be believeable so Aileen will have a tough time choosing between members. Enjoy

 

 

Ring…ring…ring…ring

 

“Hello you have reached the party house of…”

 

“Really Lay be professional,” said Aileen

 

“But this is the party house,” he squeaked

 

“Guys it’s recording, jeez. You have reached the house of Chen,”

 

“Kris,”

 

“Lay,”

 

“And Aileen. We aren’t home right but if you leave your name, number and a brief message; we will return your call as soon as possible. Thanks,”

 

BEEP

 

“Aileen Banks this is Carly Jacks. I am Nicole Wrights’ lawyer. If you would call me back as soon as you get this. It’s very important. Thank you,”

 

Aileen hadn’t heard the name Nicole Wright in a while; maybe because the loss of that person was great. Nicole and Aileen were best friends for most of their lives. They used to do everything together and you never saw one without the other. When Nicole became pregnant by a guy who refused to take care of his responsibilities Nicole’s grandmother helped out and Aileen was named the godmother. She was excited for her friend who had always wanted someone to love her. Autumn May Wright was born and Aileen felt an instant connection with that baby. But sadly 2 years into the child’s life Nicole’s life was taken away. Aileen mourned her best friend and the grandmother stepped in to take care of Autumn. It has been 3 years since she has physically seen Autumn but she always tried to keep in touch through letters, phone calls and Skype since Autumn lives in Florida.

 

Aileen got off work early to find the message Carly left for her. She instantly picked up the phone and called Carly.

 

“I’m so glad you got back to me right away,”

 

“What’s wrong Carly? Is Autumn alright?”

 

“Autumn is fine. It’s Mrs. Wright who isn’t fine. She’s old and she’s currently in the hospital. I’ve had to put poor Autumn in foster care since she has no one really to take her in. And foster care isn’t working for her either. She’s such a quiet soul; she hardly speaks. I’m asking you a huge favor but since you’re the godmother and if anything happens to Mrs. Wright the responsibility falls on you…”

 

“Of course I’ll take her,”

 

“Are you sure? This is a huge…”

 

“I’m aware of my responsibilities. Nicole and I were like peanut butter and jelly, white on rice, butter and toast. I can’t image little Autumn being in foster care…” Chen just walked through the door to find Aileen on the phone with a serious look on her face, “…I love that girl so of course I’ll take her in. I’m financially stable and I have a nice size loft. She can stay as long as Mrs. Wright is in the hospital,”

 

“I want to be frank with you though. Mrs. Wright doesn’t have long. I just want to prepare you that it may be permanent and if you can’t fully care for the child, she will be put into the system. That’s a possibility,”

 

“Well then it’s up to me. And she won’t be put into foster care; not as long as I’m alive and well,”

“Well that’s good news. We will be traveling to D.C. by the end of week; so you can prepare for her arrival,”

 

“Thanks Carly,”

 

“It’s my job,” they hung up the phone

 

Aileen was so focused she was unaware of Chen’s presence. He looked at the young woman and cleared his throat.

 

“Am I that unnoticeable,” he laughed

 

“The world doesn’t revolve around you Chen Chen,” she smiled at him

 

“What’s going on?”

 

“Changes; big changes. You may have to find another roommate,”

 

“What? No, no, no. We are all in this together,”

 

“This isn’t high school musical. This is real life. I’m the godmother of a little girl named Autumn May and she needs to come stay with us for a little while. Her grandmother is old and sick and she can’t care for her. Autumn was put into foster care and now that isn’t working out. I can take care of her. My only problem is you three,”

 

“She can stay with us. I don’t have a problem with kids,”

 

“I have a problem because you guys are guys and the dynamics would just not work out. I highly doubt Kris would approve and Lay who knows; with all the women he brings through this place,”

 

“You can’t move out. We can make it work. Family meeting tonight. You’ll see; they’ll love the idea,”

 

LATER THAT NIGHT

 

“I don’t think this is going to work. You’re going to have a 5 year old stay with us? For how long? What if the grandmother doesn’t make it? We’ll be stuck with her forever,” pouted Kris

 

“She’s not your concern anyways Kris! How insensitive can you be? Like i told Chen, I will move

out. End of discussion,”

 

“No the lease isn’t up until May. You have 3 months. You can’t just move out now. You can stay with us till then and then you can move out. Kris have a heart,” Lay frowned at his best friend since birth

 

“Wow so now I’m the bad guy,”

 

“Looks like it man. You’re outnumbered so deal with it,” said Chen

 

“Well where will she sleep?” asked Kris

 

“With me. Gosh she’s only 5 Kris. She doesn’t take up a lot of space and I doubt she will have a lot of things,”

 

“Aren’t 5 year olds usually rowdy at this age?”

 

“Apparently she’s a very shy and quiet child. Look she hasn’t had a great life. Her father bailed on them before she was born. At the age of 2 her mother died in a car accident and now her grandmother is in the hospital. I’m the only family she has left. I mean she was put into foster care because she has no one. I am all she has and I’ll be damned if I let my best friends only child suffer in the system. I love that little girl,”

 

“We’ll love her too,” smiled Chen

 

“Don’t be up Chen Chen,” said Kris as he smirked

 

“Oh come on, it’ll be fine. We’ll just have to adjust. No wild parties or strange women coming in and out of the house Lay,”

 

“Hey don’t single me out Chen. You’ve had your fair share of women,” said Lay

 

“I’m a new man now,” he eyed Aileen but Aileen didn’t notice; only Kris who sat upright to look at his friend

 

“No way,” he whispered to himself

 

“So you guys are good?” asked Aileen

 

Kris stood up from the couch and smiled at Aileen, “Do you know her favorite color. Maybe I can paint an accent wall for her in your room. At least she could feel a little more comfortable,” Aileen smiled sweetly at Kris

 

“So you’re not going to be a Scrooge about this after all,”

 

“No not after what you just told me. So what’s her favorite color? I have other projects to do this week but I can squeeze it in for you,”

 

“Yellow,”

 

“And I can buy her some stuff animals,” said Lay

 

“And I can buy her clothes or other necessities,” said Chen

 

“Thanks guys. She should be here by the end of the week,”