Case2- Hunter-Pt.1

Cold Blood

                                                                                          #Hunter                                                                            

“You need to go to Anjeong village, I already have someone sent there, so just pick one more person to go with you” he commanded. “Why should I go? Do they not even have police there?” Youngjae sneered “Why send people from Seoul for?”. “Just do as you’re told, and hurry, I told them you’ll be there soon” the Chief ordered.
 
“Who you’re taking with you” Himchan asked excitedly, “I’m taking Minki”. “What?” Himchan frowned “Why not me?”. “Didn’t you hear him, he said only one person, and that there’s already another detective there. Since it’s a small village I doubt it’s going to be anything special, I might even come back by tomorrow” He laughed happily at the though of the last part.
 
“You’re taking Minki with you?” Seon asked as she smiled at them, “I guess you’re love come to an end” she laughed at Himchan, who faked a cry “He found someone else” He said, covering his face, and walking over to Seon, for her to console him, making Youngjae laugh “ Because he’s forensic specialist He explained That’s my style now” he laughed, then growing serious “There’s three murders so far, and they do not even have any detectives or forensic specialist there, so they asked for help from us. I guess we are getting too popular now” he said, shaking his head.
 
-
 
“Damn this place looks scary” Youngjae noted as they drove down the road, having just passed the welcoming sign and then greeted by the thick fog. “That’s what it feels like standing next to dead bodies for a whole day” Minki replied casually. “Don’t make me regret taking you with me” Youngjae warned him, as he felt shivers going down his spine, “You should go out more, you look like a corpse yourself”. They drove for 20 more minutes before reaching one of the crime scenes. The right side of the road was closed off, with police standing around, and others walking into the forest.
 
After parking the car, they approached one of the officers, then introducing themselves. “Hello” One of the officers greeted them back “One of your colleagues is already here” he said pointing towards the forest. “Then why is this part sealed off too?” Youngjae asked confused. “Ah, here” The officer said pointing at the road, where some blood was visible “There was a women who ran out of the forest, and a driver ended up colliding with her. She’s not in a critical state anymore, but she still hasn’t woken up yet.  After he called us, we went to check the direction she came from, and found a dead women in the forest up there. So far this month, it’s the third person to get shot in the forest, and there isn’t any trace left behind” he explained, as he led Youngjae and Minki to the murder scene.
 
“Oh” Youngjae said approaching the familiar figure, that was standing alongside of other police officers around the murdered victims corpse. “What are you doing here?” he asked the other, who looked up at him, as if they just met for the first time “Shouldn’t you be back in Busan?”. “Don’t even ask…” Daehyun trailed off, as he looked back down at the corpse that was on the floor. Kim Minki came following after Youngjae, as he now squatted down, studying the corpse.
 
-
 
“Daehyun, you know it would be better for you to just go back to Seoul” The chief suggested, with an apologetic look. “But I don’t want to” Daehyun responded in anger. The chief gave out a sigh, as he looked at the other “You know I don’t want to be saying this to you” he said, pausing for a minute before continuing “This is for your own good; you know it would be better for you there then working here”. “So someone complained about me?” Daehyun smirked for a second, hurt showing on his face, “What will you tell Seoul police? How do you plan to explain why you moving me there for?” Daehyun began raising his voice now in anger. “Daehyun” He called out to the other, trying to calm him down “Don’t worry, I will think of something, for now, you can pack your stuff and go back to Seoul”. “So you really mean this?” Daehyun said, his expression showing how betrayed he felt. “Daehyun, you know that I’m doing this for you. Just go to Seoul, and I contact you when you can start working there” he assured him, “It will be fine”.
 
-
 
“Where you’re going?” Youngjae yelled at the other, as he followed after him. “Just looking around” Daehyun said in annoyance, noticing that the other was following him now “Try not to mess up anything, there should be some footprints left that we could follow”. “I doubt” Youngjae said looking around the forest, “Seems like it just rained recently and the mist is too thick”. “Doesn’t mean that we still shouldn’t try” Daehyun said annoyed. They looked for a bit more, before going back to Minki, who was now done examining the corpse.
 
“So?” Youngjae questioned, “Looking just from outside, there doesn’t seem to be any trace of violence or anything like that used, but the main cause of death is getting shot. If you look…” he said lighting her arm up and down “It’s really tensed, and here…” he said as he lifted up the long skirt to the knees, the lower legs showing “You see how these veins are popped out so visibly?” he looked up at Youngjae and Daehyun, who observed intensely “It seems like she ran for at least 20 minutes in an intense pace. I think she was trying to run away from the murderer.”
 
“So you think she was being chased?” Youngjae asked. “Well from the looks of it, yes” he nodded “I will need to look further to see if she was drugged, but from the way I see there wasn’t any physical contact with the attacker” he said, now standing up “Help me to take the body to the hospital” he requested to the officers around, “Make sure not to move the body too much” he warned them in a serious tone.
 
-
 
“Ah, there’s a path just up there” The officer from earlier told them, pointing further up the hill, “It’s something the high school kids use as a shortcut to school, we warned them many times not to use it, but they never listen. So far, the last two victims were both high school kids; their bodies found two days apart and the girl that was hit by the car yesterday is also from the same high school”.
 
“So they use the path above to get to school from the village” Youngjae asked, looking from his left to his right, as he tried to picture the path. “Yes” the officer nodded, “Most of the kids from our village attend the school down there” He said pointing to his right “If they follow the road it takes them around half an hour, and if they just cut straight through the forest it takes 10 minutes less”.
 
“You said the school is down there, right?” Daehyun said nodding to the direction, “Yes, It’s Woonam high school, if you would like I can take you there-” he offered.  “First we would like to see the driver” Daehyun cut him off. “Ah, Yes” he nodded, “We took him to the station”.
 
-
 
“It was already late when I driving home from work, I think around 8pm or 9pm; when suddenly I seen someone run out in front of the car” He explained his eyes going wide, as if he was reliving the moment, then going normal again “Trust me, the second I seen something I pressed on the brakes quickly, but I still heard a thud. At first I thought it was just some animal, but when I got out to check I seen a girl laying on the road, asking for help and before I could ask anything, she just fainted. I was so scared, so I just called the police and the ambulance. I really wasn’t speeding or anything, she just suddenly went out!” he explained “It really wasn’t my fault”.
 
“Did you see anything suspicious or anyone else around?” Daehyun asked. The driver thought for a while, then shook his head “You see it was already late, and the fog was too dense to even see anything close, so even if anyone was there… it would have been impossible for me to see anyone inside the forest”. “Well if you remember anything, please do contact us” Youngjae said as he stood up “Thank you for your cooperation” he bowed slightly at the other. “But I won’t get charged for this, right?” The driver quickly asked in panic. “No, no” Youngjae assured him, “It doesn’t seem like you could have avoided hitting her”. “Thank you” the driver bowed back thankfully “I promise to contact you if I remember anything else. Bye”.
 
-
 
“Three shot dead in the head in the middle of the forest at night, the other escaped and is now unconscious in a hospital” Daehyun said out loud to himself. “Three high school kids, and one women” Youngjae noted, turning to face Daehyun; who was squinting his eyes trying to see past the thick fog, as he followed the police car in front of him.
 
They finally reached the high school, with the police officer leading the way to the principal’s office. The school was quite big, the kids from all the local villages attending it. “Hello” They greeted the principle who looked surprised to see them, “Hello” she said, rather unpleased with the visit “How may I help you?” she inquired.
 
“We would like to ask students, that come here from Anjeong village, or any other student who use the forest path to go school if they have seen or heard anything strange or if they know anything-”. “Stop” The principle said, as she got up from her chair, “My students do not know anything, and I will not have you here scaring them. This is a school, and they need to concentrate on their studying and not to be disturbed by such matters. Their grades are more important than this.” She said firmly.
 
“Three students have died on their way from school and you’re talking about how not disturbing them is better?” Youngjae questioned confused, what kind of logic is that?. “I would like you to leave” She said, pointing towards the door “And please do not disturb my students” she warned them.
 
“I wonder how many more deaths will be required before you change your mind” Daehyun said getting up, as he snorted at her, before  leaving the room, Youngjae not being able to hide his smile as he for once felt proud of the others lack of sense and rudeness.
 
-
 
“So… where will we be staying?” Youngjae finally asked one of the officers that were passing by him and Daehyun. “Oh, there’s hotel down the road if you see” he said pointing out the window “You can stay there for the time being”.
 
-
 
“This place” Youngjae looked around, “It doesn’t look much different from the forest”. “I think even I have to agree with you this once” Daehyun said, also looking uncomfortably around at the old run down building, that was covered with weeds and different plants as if it was abandoned.
 
-
 
“Can we have two rooms” Youngjae asked the old lady that sat by the table, flicking through the channels “There’s only one free room” She told him, not even bothering to look up at them, as her eyes stayed glued to the TV in front of her. “Mine” Daehyun quickly said, pushing Youngjae out of the way “How much?” He asked, quickly taking out his wallet. “That’s not fair” Youngjae cried out feeling wronged, as he tried pulling away the other. “You said it doesn’t look much different from the forest, so you can just sleep outside” he defended himself. “And you agreed” Youngjae fought back. Both freezing for a minute, as they realised what they had said in front of the old lady, who was now finally looking at them and didn’t look pleased at all.
 
-
 
“You’re happy about this?” Daehyun said in anger, leaning his head back. “Who was the one who mentioned the forest first to her?” Youngjae said just as angered, as he turned to his side. “Well you were the one who mentioned the forest from the start! If you hadn’t said it earlier, I wouldn’t have said it inside!” Daehyun yelled at the other. “Why are you yelling at me for!?” Youngjae yelled back, “I’m also sleeping in this same damn car too you know!”.  
 
-
 
“Oh” The officer from earlier looked somewhat shocked at the figure that just entered the station “Is there a shower in this station?” Daehyun asks, as he glares at the other through his puffed out eyes, and heavy dark eye bags. “Down there” the officer said; pointing at one of the corridors, with Daehyun storming off.
 
“What happened?” the officer asks, watching Youngjae now walk in, looking just like the other. “We slept in the damn car” he said “You have no idea how freaking cold it is inside there at night” he shivers just at the thought of it, “I don’t think I can sleep there another night” he shook his head in somewhat fear. “What about the hotel I told you?” He asks confused “Was it full?”. “Ye-Yes “ Youngjae nodded “Let’s just assume that it was. Now tell me where did the other go” nodding to the direction Daehyun stormed off at. The officer looked towards where Daehyun went off “He asked where the showers were…” he answered, watching Youngjae walking off to that same direction now.
 
-
 
“We have to apologise to her” Youngjae said “I can’t sleep in the damn car again” he shook his head, at the thought with his whole body still shivering.  “I’m not sleeping there again” Daehyun agreed, as he finished washing his face, and grabbing a towel to dry it off “You go and apologise”. “What?” Youngjae cried out “Why me? What will you be doing?” he questioned. “I” Daehyun stopped for a moment “I will go to the hospital and see how the girl is doing, and see if Minki found out anything new” he finished, as he began walking off in quick pace. “Wait! That’s not fair” Youngjae cried out.
 
-
 
“I’m really sorry” Youngjae said, as he bowed 90 degrees, to the grandma that had finally looked up at him. “Young people are so disrespectful” She shook her head, “Then you shouldn’t be saying such things” she yelled, hitting on the back, with Youngjae jerking back, to avoid getting hit any further. “Ah” she gave out a sigh, “Only for two nights” she yelled “After that you can really sleep in the forest for all I care” she warned him. “Thank you” He bowed to her again happily, at the thought of not having to sleep in the cold, uncomfortable car again.
 
-
 
“So?” Daehyun asked curiously “What did she say?”. “She said she’ll let us stay for two nights… after that we can just sleep in the forest for all she cares” He said still annoyed that only he had to go apologise. “Good” Daehyun said simply, “Now let’s go to the forest” he said, nodding towards the direction. “Now? But it’s still early” Youngjae moaned, as he followed after the other. “We might meet some high school students” Daehyun replied, as he carried on walking and ignoring the others complaints behind him.
 
-
 
“What’s with the non-ending fog?” Daehyun said irritated, as he walked up the hill, squinting his eyes as he tried to see where he was stepping on. They finally reached the path which they assumed the police officer was talking about, as they looked around to see if anyone was there. “In which direction to we go?” Youngjae asked, as he looked back and forth between the two directions. “I think to the right, towards the school” Daehyun said somewhat unsure himself.
 
They walked for at least 10 minutes before seeing two figures. “Hey” Daehyun shouted out to them, yet the two figures quickened their pace. “We're from the police” Youngjae added, as the two figures slowed down a bit, allowing them now to make out the shapes of two high school girls, “Can you prove it?” They said, as they kept their distance, with Youngjae taking out his badge, and showing it to them. “Do you really think we can see it that far and through the fog?” They asked annoyed.
 
“Then here” Youngjae said, throwing them his badge, with one of the girl catching it mid-air. They looked at it for a minute, before coming over to them and handing it back over to Youngjae “What it is?” One of them asked “Hurry, or we going to be late for school otherwise”.
 
Why do you girls use this path?” Youngjae questioned as he looked around “Aren’t you scared?” he asked curiously. The two girls looked at each other, as they laughed “What could be scary about this?” they back. “Haven’t you heard about the three people getting shot in this forest?” Daehyun stepped up now, asking them in a serious tone.
 
“We have” They said, their faces growing serious at the topic. “Then why are you using this path?” Youngjae asked confused. “We only use it in the mornings, there are lots of others who use it too, so it’s not that scary” one of the girls said, “But we don’t use at night”, they shook their heads, “Some students say that they feel like their being followed when they use this path at night” they said, as they both gave out a shiver.
 
“But shouldn’t you not be using path at all then?” Youngjae moaned at them “Why not just use the road?”. “It doesn’t matter which way you go” they complained back “Heejoo only used the road, but she was still shot, wasn’t she?” they pointed out. “But the victims were found in the forest” Daehyun said. “We know, but she never used this path during the two years she went to school, so it doesn’t matter which way you go and we have to go to school somehow, since we have our exams soon.” They whined. “Oh” one of them jumped up “Were going to be late!” she shouted to the other girl, as they both bowed quickly, before running off “Bye” They shouted out, before disappearing into the thick fog.
 
“What was that about?” Youngjae complained “It’s seems like the exams are more important than their lifes…” he shook his head in disapproval, “What did Minki say anyway?” He asked curiously, at the still stunned Daehyun. “Daehyun?” Youngjae shook the other by the shoulder. “What?” He snapped out. “Minki” Youngjae said “What did he tell you?”. “Oh, I didn’t go” Daehyun said calmly. “What do you mean you didn’t go?” Youngjae squinted his eyes; confused “What did you do during that time!?” he raised his voice now. “I was eating” Daehyun replied, now walking off, along the path towards the village “We can just go now” he suggessted. “That’s not fair” Youngjae yelled in anger at him “I thought we agreed, but you lied! I even bowed to her and took a beating!”.
 
-
 
“Looking from the wound, the shot was made up close” Minki said, showing towards the marks on the girl’s forehead. “How close?” Youngjae said observing the hole between the girl’s eyes. “Mmm” Minki thought for a minute, “Maybe a meter distance?” he said, “Well not further then two metres” he assured him.
 
“From the mark, it seems like it was a hunting rifle”, he said, as he took out a book, which was full of pictures of dead bodies with wounds. He flipped through few pages, opening one in particular, and taking a picture with a shot wound out, “See” he said “Identical, right?” He seemed somewhat proud of himself.
 
Daehyun looked at the picture book, from which Minki just took out the picture “What’s this book” he asked, now flipping through some of the pages, that were full of different wounds. “This” he said pointing at the book, “Those pictures are of different marks left by different murder weapons, it helps when you need to identify how some of the wounds on the body were made, and what weapon was used, since every weapon makes a different wound”. “Oh” Daehyun nodded, still flipping through the pages curiuosly.
 
“So sick” Youngjae shook his head, “Wait!” Youngjae froze for a minute, both Daehyun and Minki looking up at him, “If there's only one hotel in this town… and you’re not sleeping there, then…” he said, his expression changing into a disgusted one, as he shook his head in disapproval, before leaving the room.
 
“What?” Daehyun looked up at Minki confused, “Where are you staying?” he asked confused. “I sleep here” Minki said not sure what was the big deal, Daehyun feeling his face turn sour, as he retrieved his hands from the book, “I think I’ll just go too now” he said, smiling in an odd way, as he bowed to the other slightly before leaving.
 
-
 
“Oh” Youngjae shivered “How can he sleep with the dead bodies”, he looked at Daehyun. “Let’s not talk about this” Daehyun said, somewhat not pleased with the topic, which Youngjae could clearly see.
 
-
 
“This is the famous room?” Youngjae said looking around the cramped room, with just one cupboard in it. “Well there’s still the forest and the car you can use” Daehyun said, as he walked to the cupboard, opening the doors, as he took out of the mattress and setting in onto the floor; Youngjae quickly doing the same.
 
“This village really gives me creeps” Youngjae said, feeling his whole body shiver. “Shut up” Daehyun replied plainly. “Don’t you think it’s just weird here?” Youngjae asked the other curiously, looking towards Daehyun, who was facing the other way. “Stop talking” Daehyun cried out, this time getting up and looking at the other “Why do you talk so much? If you want to talk, then go sleep outside with the dogs, maybe they’ll want to listen to you” he said in irritation as he fell back on to the mattress, and once again turning his back on Youngjae.
 
“You're one rude bastard” Youngjae cursed under his breath. “What?” Daehyun said, turning his head back, as he squinted his eyes “What did you call me?”. “Will you stop talking” Youngjae said annoyed, as he turned his back to the other now, hearing Daehyun give out a snort.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay...! I brought Daehyun back... in a confusing way that no-one will get for now, but later... don't worry, sometime later you will get it...XD

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________