Case 8- The Case Of Obsession-Pt.1

Cold Blood

                                                    

                                                                                          The Case Of Obsession                                                                                   

The time must have stopped. Or so it was how Youngjae felt. To act as if nothing happened was a bit too late, and even too late to say anything about it now, with the only way to go about it by pretending as if nothing happened.

 

Even so, to do that he at least needed to act like nothing happened, instead he could hardly even bring himself to look ahead at the road, with his eyes shifting within seconds to the side window, as he could somewhat make out Daehyuns face with the corners of his eyes. Good thing it was Daehyun driving, or making right turns would have been impossible.

 

-

 

“Looks painful” Youngjae remarked, as he cringed his face at the sight before him. “Yes” Kim Minki nodded in agreement “Although it looks like a random stabbing, seems like after only the last 15th stab did he die”.

 

“Mugging?” Himchan pondered, as he stood next to Youngjae; both looking down at the corpse in front of them. “Have you seen a mugger go out of his way to this degree?” Youngjae asked in a somewhat statement. “A normal mugging consists of 2-5 stab wounds…” Daehyun interrupted, as both turned their heads towards Daehyun, “And an actual taking of possessions” he added, raising his hand up; that held a wallet.

 

-

 

“Jang Seong, male, 28 years old” Cha Seon stated “Based on the driving license found in the wallet”.
 
“In total 15 sharp wounds, mostly consisting of the upper chest area, with last fatal stab to the heart. The weapon was most likely an 8inch kitchen knife. The time of death is between is 20:00- 21:00 yesterday.” Minki reported “From the location of the wounds, seems that the wounds were inflicted randomly”.

 

“Well these types of attacks are usually done in frustration, where the main point rather than killing the victim, is taking out their rage and frustration” Kim Bum added “So it could be anyone who had problems with the victim”.

 

-

 

“Should we give a visit to the fiancée?” Daehyun asked Youngjae, who sat at his desk, staring aimlessly into the wall. “Hello?” Daehyun said louder, now squinting his eyes. “What?” Youngjae snapped out, looking up at the other in surprise. “Should we give a visit to the fiancée?” Daehyun repeated. “Ah” Youngjae nodded “We should…” he trailed off, now getting up.

 

-

 

“Although she was his fiancée we still need to be cautious” Daehyun warned the other “Who knows if they had any arguments”. “Oh” Youngjae simply nodded, with Daehyuns face turning aggravated. “What is it?” Daehyun finally asked, stopping to look at the other. “Nothing” Younjae just shook his head quickly, as he entered the building first, leaving Daehyun to just follow behind him.

 

-

 

It was unsettling for either to watch as the fiancée so called cried her eyes out, at the sudden shocking news. “Just who?” She cried out, as she continued to sob, what was unsettling that blink of a second, after they told her the news, where it almost felt disgusting how the corner of her lip rose up in delight.

 

-

 

“I don’t like her” Daehyun clearly stated, “Who smirks when they are told their loved one had just died?” he raised his voice, as he opened the car door to get in. “You tell me” Younjae just said, just as equally left with a disturbing feeling in his gut.

 

-

 

“Anything?” Himchan asked, as they both entered the station. “If smirking at your fiancées death counts” Youngjae answered, before filling him in with the earlier visit.

 

“It seems like he cancelled their wedding a day before he died” Cha Seon said, as she walked in holding onto her notebook, “I think we should call her in”.

 

-

 

It didn’t take much, to get a confession from her, nor did it take long to find the knife in her house, hidden under her cupboard with her finger print on it.

 

The frustrating thing was, how they had new cases just coming in without a single break, and like always, with his so called partner, he had to go and investigate… not giving him a chance to get over what he has done to the other or what the other was.

 

-

 

 “Someone has an odd taste in art…” Youngjae trailed off as he looked over the body that was lying on top of the table. It was a body of a man, in his early thirties, with his whole body painted in some sort of symbols and whatnot that neither Daehyun nor Youngjae could understand. “Any finger prints, or-” Daehyun began, but got cut off. “Absolutely nothing” Minki replied. “Not trying to make it any easier for us” Daehyun sighed. “Any ID?” Interrupted Youngjae. “Actually yes” Minki answered, “Finger prints match with previously convict”. “Convicted of what?” Youngjae enquired. “Theft” Minki answered.

 

-

 

“Just what is this?” Daehyun complained as they walked to the car “No leads, no clue no traces or reasons of who and why done this” he rustled his hair, as he stopped by the car door, waiting for a moment before looking up, as he looked expectantly at Youngjae who was also standing on the other side of the car looking back confused. “Well?” Daehyun said, raising an eyebrow, “You’re ganna give me the keys or will we be standing here all day?”.

 

“Oh” Youngjae shook his head, as he began walking towards the other, he felt his heart beat increase as he looked at Daehyun, carefully and slowly passing the keys to the other. He held them with the tip of his fingers, and he tried to lay them in the others palm without actually touching the other.
 
“That’s it” Daehyun snapped, as he snatched the keys from the other hand “Let’s just switch partners, or do you want me to transfer different station?”. “What?” Youngjae asked, somewhat caught off guard, as the two stood on the police stations rooftop. “What?” Daehyun repeated “I can’t work with someone who’s always so cautious of me and tries to avoid me”.

 

“W-When did I?” Youngjae protested, trying to act ignorance, though he knew it himself that the other was right.
“When?” Daehyun repeated “Are you seriously asking me this now?”.

 

“Ok! Ok!” Youngjae said, trying to calm the other down “You…” he paused “…being the way you are, it’s not disgusting” he laughed lightly trying to lighten up the mood, with Daehyun just growing even more angry and cold “It’s not? Think…” Daehyun said mockingly, and if it was how it really was, Youngjae could see something in the other eyes “We went to the same school after all” he finished, before storming off first.

 

-

 

Youngjae thought for a while, as he sat on his sofa. “We went to the same school…”

 

 Was Daehyun badly picked on for who he was when they were in school? He couldn’t clearly remember him, so it was hard to tell, but he was sure it couldn’t be that bad that he had never heard of it.

 

*Flashback*
“You disgust me…” he mumbled under his breath “No, no, no, no, no!” Youngjae said, now holding onto his head “What kind of luck is this” he shook his head, as he let himself fall back onto the sofa “Why did it have to be him!?”.

 

He was sure he had bad luck, but it seemed the other was as badly off as he was, the day he got turned down by a girl he liked for 5 months, was the day Daehyun chose to confess to him. Any other day, Youngjae would have at least turned the other down nicely, but that day wasn’t the one.

 

Why did this not occur to him before? Although he knew he and Daehyun went to the same school, he never really gave a thought about it. Well it wasn’t like Daehyun was in his class to begin with, but if he really did try, he could of at least remembered this much.

 

-

 

“I’m sorry” Youngjae bowed, as he stood at the entrance of Daehyuns house. “I don’t want your apology” Daehyun simply answered, as he went about his business, sorting out a pile of books that were scattered across the floor and the coffee table. “Then…?” Youngjae asked somewhat unsure, as to what it was that the other wanted. “For you to stop doing this avoidance game. I didn’t work so hard to become an investigator, so I could play around with you” Daehyun explained, and Youngjae could almost feel the sincerity in the others words. It was time for him to get his act together, and to begin working with a sincere mind, rather than getting flushed by everything around him.

 

-

 

When Daehyun came into the office the next morning, and Youngjae tried act as normal as possible, hearing the others speech yesterday had made him feel too stupid for his behaviour. “Well to start with we need to find out what these drawing mean” Daehyun said, setting down the pictures of the body, onto Youngjaes desk. “I gave it some thought and maybe we should visit an art university?” Youngjae suggested. “So you’re capable of thinking?” Daehyun answered mokingly, before grabbing car keys “Let’s go”.

 

-

 

“Do you know what these drawing mean?” Daehyun asked the professor, “I’m not too sure, but I have a student who has interest in such art, if you’d like I could take you to her”.

 

-

 

“That’s her”, the professor stopped, as he pointed at the girl at the back of the class “One of my best students” he praised her, “The class should finish in 10 minutes” he said, looking at his wrist watch “So if you could just wait here for a while, I’m sure she will help you” the professor finished, nodding his head, as he excused himself.

 

-

 

“I’m not too sure” The girl said, as she studied the pictures of the dead body calmly, sending chills down Youngjaes back. How could someone just look at these type of pictures with such a relaxed and calm face.  “Well if you do find out…” Daehyun began, taking out his card, “Give us a call”. “I’m sure I will” She said with a chilling smile. 

 

-

 

Daehyuns phone rang that same evening, looking at his phone, it was an unknown number. “Hello?” He answered unsure. “Could the two of us meet?” the female voice asked. “Who is this…?” Daehyun enquired, at the unfamiliar voice. “The art student form earlier” The voice answered “I think I found out what the drawings mean”. “Ok” Was a simple reply from Daehyun, “When and where do you want to meet?”. “My place tonight, I will text you the address” was a quick answer as she hanged up, before Daehyun was able to say anything else.

 

-

 

Youngjaes phone vibrated. It was a text from Daehyun, the text read: ‘I’m going to that art students place right now, she said she might know what the drawings mean, if you want to come then here’s the address…’. Was he going to go? Originally no, but having seen Daehyuns outburst just the other day, and having reconciled, he didn’t want to risk having Daehyun having another outburst that Youngjae was once again avoiding the other, so the only choice left was to get his jacket and go. .

 

-

 

Youngjae was about to knock on the door, when he realised the door was slightly ajar, assuming that the other two were waiting for him. He walked in greeted by complete silence. He walked slowly towards the light coming in from one of the rooms, oddly not seeing a single person there. There was a fallen glass on the floor, with the liquid from the glass spread across the floor, forming a small puddle.

 

He was about to call out for Daehyun, till he heard a voice coming out from one of the doors. He walked towards them, looking at the stairs leading down, with a faint light shining on them. He couldn’t help but getting shivers, as he walked down them quietly, getting a bad feeling about it… based on the previous bad experiences he had so far with basements and anything that was below the ground. 

 

He stopped in his tract as he watched shocked at the topless Daehyun who was tied up on a table, with a bright light hanging up above him, and that same art student walking around Daehyun. 

 

Her finger tips, traced the others stomach, and whatever it was, it was making Youngjae feel so angry inside just from watching. He sent a quick text to Himchan asking for backup… just in case the female student was more than he could handle… seeing that obvious Daehyun couldn’t.  

 

“From the second I seen you, I decided that you will be mine” she smiled wickedly, “Unless of course, you want to end up like that other guy…” she said, faking sadness “Didn’t end so well for him, now did it?”. Daehyun had a tape over his mouth, but Youngjae could swear, if not for that tape, the other would have killed Daehyun by now already. He just knew it, if that tape was not there, he would of cursed the other and rambled on to the point where the other would of gotten sick of Daehyun and horrible temper.  

 

“Now wait my love” She said, walking across the room, to get something, and Youngjae didn’t even plan to wait, as he pulled his gun out, running over to Daehyun. “Do you always tie up the people you love?” Youngjae asked “Isn’t that just a bit too erted for your age?”, as the student turned around shocked by the others presence, grabbing a knife off a desk next to her in panic. “I don’t think so” Youngjae said, looking over at his gun.

 

-

 

Soon the police was there, with Youngjae explaining vaguely about what happened, as his eyes caught the figure of Daehyun who was walking away from the whole scene.

 

 “Where are you going?” Youngjae shouted out, as he somewhat caught up to Daehyun who just continued walking in an intense speed not even looking back. “You need to go to the station to testify” Youngjae explained, as he tried to grab the others wrist and walk the other back, with Daehyun just yanking it off, “Do I look like I want to go to the station right now?” Daehyun said with his teeth clenched; his face was all pale, and he looked scared and Youngjae could swear that the other was on a brink to cry.  Daehyun just continued to walk and Youngjae turned around, to look at the others, soon just shaking his head, as Himchan gave him a nod in reply, teling the other to just follow after Daehyun. “Wait for me” Youngjae said, as he ran to catch up to the other.

 

-

 

Youngjae watched almost surprised, by the sight of Daehyun drinking one shot of soju after another. “How much do you plan to drink?” He asked, as he looked around, at all the drunken people around them. Daehyun settled down with the first stall he found, ordering a bottle of soju, without even any side dishes, and has been at it for an hour now, with Youngjae sitting across from the other and just watching silently. “Just one more bottle…” Daehyun slurped out, as if knowing the other wanted to leave already, with Youngjae looking at the two bottles on the table already, with the third one in Daehyuns hands, trying to take off the lid. “Give it here” Youngjae said, snatching the bottle out of the others hand, as he opened the bottle and poured some into the glass cup. They had to be early at the station in the morning, and it was already late, so the only option was to help the other drink that last damn bottle quickly and leave for home.

 

It was only meant to be a one shot of soju, however it ended up being followed by one after the other. Soon one bottle turning into two and Daehyun shooting up from his seat. “Let’s go” He said, and Youngjae could swear the other looked 100% sober, or was it because he was somewhat just as drunk as the other was by now?

 

-

 

They walked together; or rather Youngjae was following the other. “How stupid of her” Youngjae laughed, clapping his hands intensely “Did she really think you would like it? Too bad for her that she’s not a guy…”. “Stop it!” Daehyun shouted, although it came out somewhat distorted, with somewhat watery eyes “It’s enough; you had your fun, so stop it”. “Oh” Youngjae faked a surprise, as he clapped his hands sloppily, “Did I say anything wrong?” He moved towards the other daringly, “Did you… like it?” he said in almost a whisper. That was all it took, before Daehyun launched a punch, towards the other, just too bad, the other caught it, as he fell back onto the trash bags, pulling the other along in process.

 

The smirk and all the joking was gone, as he looked at Daehyun, who was making his best attempt to get off him. Being drunk was Youngjaes worst poison, because being impulsive and acting in the moment, like this case, meant actions like pushing the other to the side, and pinning him underneath and…
 

                                                                                                                                                                                                             

So I bet those who have subscribed to this before, are probably going to be like "What is this? I don't remember subscribing to this...ಠ_ಠ" after seeing that it’s been updated... probably looks like something new, and you have most likely have forgotten what this story was even about....
 
... And for that I am sorry... _
 
p.s. sorry for any mistakes...