Drowning-Pt.3

Cold Blood

“I hope you have something good this time, or as you all know the case will be closed” the chief said with a smirk as he walked into the room. “Don’t worry” Youngjae smiled at him reassuringly “That won’t happen”, making the chiefs face turn grim.

 
“I was able to isolate some of the metabolites of succinylcholine, one of which was succinic acid.” Kim Seong reported. “From the autopsy of each victim I found also large quantities of this acid in the brain tissues” Kim Minki added on.
 
 “It seems that the murderer has used Succinylcholine” everyone in room had a blank expression on their face, giving Seong an obvious sign that nobody knew what it was “…which is neuromuscular paralytic drug.” She continued to explain, seeing the unchanging blank expressions on everyone’s face “This means that it works at the junction of the nerves and muscles, and causes muscular paralysis. It paralyzes all the muscles of the body, including those used for breathing. Without ventilatory support anyone who receives this drug will die from asphyxia.” She stopped for a minute, and then turned to Youngjae finishing “It means that the victims were wide awake and could feel everything while they drowned, so even though it causes muscular paralysis it has no sedative effects.”
 
“So the victims were purposely injected with this thing, to make them paralysed and then drowned?” Youngjae concluded. “So the victim from Busan…”Himchan began saying, “Yes” Seong answered “even though the water wasn’t deep, because the whole body was paralysed, he wasn’t able to move”.
 
 “You are probably looking for someone who works in medical field, to be able to obtain such drug is quite hard” Seong added. “So an anesthesiologist would have an access to anesthetic drugs?” Daehyun asked. “Yes, anesthesiologist have access to many anesthetic drugs, including the muscle paralytic drug succinylcholine” she answered “Is there someone you suspecting?”.
 
“The father of Sangtae is an anesthesiologist…” Kim Bum traced off, picking up the point that Daehyun just made. “Well take him in for questioning then!” The Chief commanded, anger fully shown on his face.
 
Everyone had left the room but Youngjae and the chief, “Just because you proved it’s not a suicide, doesn’t mean the case is solved” The chief highlighted to Youngjae “Don’t worry, I know that” Youngjae answered with a grin.
 
-
So you’re saying I’m going around killing people?” He smirks at Youngjae “If I wanted to kill them, do you think I would have waited this long? I would have killed them the second they made my son like this and-… but… I didn’t want to leave my son on his own in that state”.
 
Few minutes later there was a knock on the door, Youngjae looking up to see Himchan peeked in through the slightly open doors now, and waved him to come outside.
 
“What is it?” Youngjae asked as he now stood outside the interrogation room with Himchan. “Like he said, he had a night shift that started at 8 and finished at 7 in the morning on the first murder, and as for the 2nd murder, it would have also been impossible for him to get to Busan and make it back in time for his morning shift” Himchan said just as disappointed by the information as Youngjae was. “You sure?”, Youngjae still asked, though he knew it wouldn’t change anything. Himchan nodded his head “There’s CCTV recordings; there’s patients who confirmed he was there, doctors and nurses. It’s not something that he could have just fabricated, it seems like he really was in the hospital during both of the murders”. “” Youngjae swore, as he slammed his hand on the wall in anger, Himchan patting him on the shoulder.
 
-
 
“Even if his alibi is good, we should still do a stake out” Youngjae suggests. “I do it” Cha Seon said, “Since it’s just a stake out, I can do it by myself, it doesn’t seem like he’s the guy we are after anyway”. “You sure?” Youngjae asked, not quite happy about the idea. “Its fine” she nodded “I can just call for back-up if anything”. “Ok then” Youngjae continued “for now we need to split into pairs and guard the other two left, for all we know the murderer will be targeting them”.
 
“So theres the lady in Seochogu area and the guy in Jongnogu area” Kim Bum said, as he looked through his notes. “A lady?” Himchan smirked, “Put me in for that”.
 
-
 
Youngjae sat in the car, still full of disbelief. He couldn’t believe Himchan could betray him like this for some women he has never even spoken to. He gave a loud sigh, as he turned to look at Daehyun, whose face seemed as if carved from a stone, as his expression hasn’t changed since they got here. “Look at me again and poke your eyes out” Daehyun warned him annoyed. Having to pair up with Daehyun was really not something he wanted, and having to sit with him in the same car for who knows how long, wasn’t something Youngjae looked forward to.
 
“Oh, He’s going out!” Youngjae shouted excitedly, as he smacked Daehyun on the arm. He couldn’t explain how happy he was to finally be able move, instead of just sitting around in the car, since they have been sitting in the car since morning, and it was already dark outside.  After realising the car wasn’t moving he looked at Daehyun, who was rubbing his arm with his hand, and looking back at him with anger showing on his face, with a raised eyebrow. “I’m sorry! It’s a habit” Youngjae apologised as he tried to rub the others arm, but Daehyun just shaking him off in disapproval “Forget it”.
 
They drove around for at least 20 minutes, as they followed the guy, trying to leave some gap in between them not wanting to make it obvious that he was being followed. If the murderer really wanted to target him, they needed not to be seen by either of them.
 
The guy stopped by a park entrance, both Youngjae and Daehyun feeling confused and stopping a bit further away, not to attract themselves any attention. “Why here?” Youngjae said, looking around, as he reached to open the car door to get out, feeling Daehyuns hand on his wrist pulling him back, and quickly letting go “Not yet” Daehyun shook his head “We need to see if anyone will follow him in”. After few minutes they got out of the car, deciding it was safe now, as they carefully approached the parks entrance. They listened for any sound, but there was only silence and few seconds later they entered the park, observing their surroundings.
 
After following the sidewalk for a bit they noticed the guy, waiting by one of the benches. “Bend down” Youngjae whispered to Daaehyun, as they got off the sidewalk and walked into the bushes. “We should go closer” Daehyun suggested, “This is too far”. They walked for a bit more, trying not to make any noise or to be seen by the other, after reaching what they figured was the closest they could; they both squatted down, peeping through the gaps in the bushes. Daehyun patted him on the shoulder to get his attention, and then pointed for Youngjae to look out anything on the left side, with himself looking out for anything on the right side.
 
The guy stood there for 5 minutes as he looked around, then sat down on the bench in annoyance. Youngjae could swear his legs were melting apart as he felt tingles in his legs. Another 10 minutes and the guy got up, looking at his watch and then again around to see if anyone was coming. “” Daehyun swore in a whisper, as he rubbed his own legs. “I can’t” Youngjae said, as he sat down onto the cold ground, feeling the stinging and buzzing going through his legs. He rather sat on the cold ground, then having to stay squatted any longer.
 
“There” Daehyung said, as he grabbed onto Youngjae’s shoulder, and pointing at one of the sidewalks by a bridge, where a newcomer was walking past. He had a black jumper with his hood up, which was covering his face and both hands in his pockets, as he walked at a slow pace.
 
Youngjae got up slowly too, observing the guy. Even if it was a park and normal for people to be passing by, but at this late time of the night, they couldn’t help it but find suspicious. They observed intensely as the stranger was coming nearer and nearer the guy they were guarding, the intensity rising with each step the guy took, till he passed by, making Youngjae and Daehyun let out a deep breaths that they been holding in…but then feeling the tenseness coming back again, as they watched the newcomer stop suddenly, and then turn around as he began approaching the guy.
 
Youngjae was ready to jump out of the bushes and to go get the stranger, but Daehyun grabbed his shoulder and pushed him back down, shaking his head to tell the other to wait a bit longer. Youngjae didn’t like this, if the other indeed was the murderer wouldn’t it mean, that he could just take out a knife and stab the other.
 
They watched as the other offered him a can of coffee, and the other taking it. “Now” Daehyun said, as he slowly got up, winching in pain, as he held onto his knees, Youngjae snickering to himself in process, with Daehyun making sure to glare back at the other, before moving on.
 
“I wouldn’t drink that” Daehyun warned the guy as he approached them, with the newcomer looking up at them, and slowly retreating. “W-what’s happening?” The guy they were following asked as he took away the bottle from his lips. Before they knew the stranger began running, with Daehyun chasing after him, in somewhat slow pace at first as he rubbed his legs a few times, before beginning to run properly. Youngjae ran over to the guy, taking the can off him and then smelling it, then handing it over back to him “Wait here!” he said “And don’t drink that unless you want to die” he added on before running after the newcomer that Daehyun was chasing.
 
No matter how much he ran he just couldn’t seem to find Daehyun or the stranger; Youngjae couldn’t figure out if he was that slow, or they were just too fast. He stopped for a while to look around, trying to listen to any sound, but only hearing his own heavy breathing. He quickly took his phone out of pocket dialling for backup. He stood for a while longer, neither hearing nor seeing anything. “Damn” he cursed looking around once more, before running again. He came to a quick halt again, with the sidewalk splitting into two directions.
 
Before he was able to decide, he heard footsteps getting closer as he reached for the gun in his belt. He bent down, as he got off the sidewalk and hid behind one of the trees. He listened carefully trying to figure out how close the other was; deciding the other was close enough, he jumped out  pointing his gun at the other and receiving a kick to his crotch in return from a face that he recognised … “Ah” He gave out a cry, as he fell to his knees. “I’m sorry, it’s a habit” the other apologised sarcastically, as he walked off, leaving Youngjae to lay on the cold pavement in defeat, with tears forming in his eyes.
 
He walked back slowly, still feeling the pain his lower part, as he kept cursing Daehyun. After some tie of walking in pain, he could now hear and see the police sirens and cops walking around as they scanned the area. After getting closer, he seen Daehyun who was talking with one of the officers, pointing at the direction that Youngjae was coming from. Youngjae straightened himself up within seconds; trying to act as normal as possible, as he approached the others.
 
He could only glare at Daehyun, with the other just glancing at him with an uncaring look for a second and then looking back at the police officer he was talking to. He watched as Daehyun had his ring taken off him, with small trace of blood on it. Youngjae walked in quicker now as he watched it being put into a plastic bag and then sealed off. “That should do it” The officer said to Daehyun, as he patted him on the shoulder, before heading into the car.
 
“That is?” Youngjae questioned, with a pained voice. “One of the criminals blood” Daehyun said, now looking back at Youngjae, before beginning to walk to the car, with Youngjae following behind. “There was more than one?” Youngjae questioned confused. “Yeah” Daehyun answered, this time not bothering to even look back at Youngjae “And I think I know who they both are”. “Who?” Youngjae asked curiously as he watched Daehyun get into the car, then quickly getting in himself. “You’ll see” Daehyun answered with s smirk. “What about the blood on the ring?” Youngjae asked, remembering Daehyun giving his ring to the officer.
 
“When I was chasing him by myself, there was someone else who hit me on the back of the head, and when I swung my hand back to defend myself, my ring ended up scratching him” Daehyun explained “By the time I got up, they got into the car” he gave a sigh in annoyance “At least the blood on the ring will serve as evidence”.
 
-
 
“Why did you go to the park?” Daehyun asked the guy, who still looked somewhat startled.
 “I-I got a call from my friend, she asked to meet at the park… so I just went there.” He explained.
“The coffee contained traces of  Succinylcholine in it” Kim Seong reported, as she walked into the office “It only had a small trace of it, so it would of given them around 10 minutes before he had died naturally from not being able to breathe”. 
 
“So they planned to drown him at the lake in the park…” Youngjae noted to himself, “What about the guy?” Youngjae questioned curiously looking up to the guy again, who looked uneasy and slightly shaking.
“He offered me hot coffee since it was cold… I didn’t think much of it and so I just took it” he said defensively now “How would I have known there was something in it?”.
 
-
 
Youngjae slept on one of the couches in the office, as he decided to wait for the blood results, wanting to be the first one to find out who it was. “Youngjae” Kim Seong ran in, with Youngjae quickly shooting up “You wouldn’t believe whose blood it is” Kim Seong says, as if still surprised herself. “What do you mean?” Youngjae raises an eyebrow in curiosity “Whose?”.
 

                   ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whose blood do you think it is people?XD
____________________________________________________________________________________________________