The Hunting Past

Cold Blood
                                                                        The Hunting Past                                                              
“I can’t believe that lady” Youngjae moaned as he brushed his hand through his hair “The neighbours were kind enough to call police for her, and she just turned us down, even though it’s obvious she’s getting abused by her husband”. “It’s her choice” Daehyun answered simply as he continued to walk. “But why would she let him beat her up like that?” Youngjae continued pressing on, as he walked behind Daehyun. “Sometimes there are reasons…” Daehyun said in angry tone now, warning the other to stop talking about it “Let’s just hurry up and go to the car, we wasted enough time already, we need to go back to the station quickly”.
 
‘Sometimes there are reasons’ rang through Youngjae’s head, as he watched the others back. Daehyun’s words just gave him more confusion then he had before, why would anyone agree to such thing? It just didn’t make any sense to him. Even more the thing that went through his head was Daehyun’s past… what was it that made Daehyun’s mother do what she did to him…?
 
-
 
 “Oh, Daehyun!” A young lady called out in front of them as she ran over to him “I heard you moved!” she said excitedly “didn’t think I would run into you here in Seoul”.
 
Youngjae watched as Daehyun just stood there lifelessly as he walked over to see who it was, till he met the women’s eyes, whose smile widened even more, “Youngjae!” she squealed, walking past Daehyun, whose eyes now widened as he came back to reality, his head turning back to Youngjae who was now greeting her.
 
“I can’t believe I’m even able to meet you here” She laughed “After you moved back to Seoul we missed you so much in Busan” she chuckled again, covering her own mouth with her hand in a girly manner.
 
Before he knew it, his legs began moving forward… what was he trying to escape from? His past…? Daehyun didn’t care, it felt like everything around him was a big blur as he continued to walk, hearing faintly Youngjae calling out his name, yet not being able to understand anything that was happening.
 
-
 
Daehyun sat in the car, blankly looking out through the side window with his chin resting on his hand. After a while he could hear the car doors open and Youngjae getting into the car. There were few minutes of silence before Daehyun spoke up, “You heard…?”  he asked which was rather a statement, as he didn’t  even bother to look at Youngjae.
 
Youngjae hesitated for a while if he should answer to the question truthfully or not. Should he pretend not to know anything, or was it better to tell the other the truth. After a heavy sigh, he nodded to himself “I did” he said, for now deciding to pretend like it wasn’t a big deal for him.
 
“Its fine” Daehyun said giving out a sigh “You can change partners, if you don’t want to say anything I will do it for you, if anything I will change to different department or some other station” he plainly stated, as he not even once looked at the other and just kept his head low.
 
Youngjae thought for a while to what he could answer to the other, as his throughts were cut off by the sounds of  the car door opening, with Daehyun pushing them open and quickly closing them after he has stepped out. Youngjae got out quickly “Where are you doing, we need to go back to the station?” Youngjae looked puzzled at the others back.
 
“Don’t worry, I will make my own way back” Daehyun waved, as he walked off. “What?” Youngjae said to himself confused… it wasn’t even as if he said anything to the other.
 
-
 
Youngjae sat in the car for some time, thinking deeply over everything. It wasn’t that he minded what he had heard that much, but still… it wasn’t an easy thing to accept just like that. He thought of the times he and Daehyun worked together, but none of the times did he felt like the others behaviour was suspicious. He didn’t even know how to behave around the other anymore, and if he should be telling anything to others, or if he should just keep quiet and let things be like they were… though could they really?