chpt.29

Looks Like Love

 

“Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“I do”

“And do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do”

 

They embraced tenderly. He lifted her veil with an intimate smile and they kissed. The audience applauded and cheered as lovely petals showered upon them.

Luna and Onew were now blissfully married.

 

--

 

Sulli and Minho stood beside each other at the reception after the wedding. There was an awkward tension hanging between them. Just a few days ago, they had consummated their love. 

But now, Sulli might leave Minho for five years. SM agency was partnering with a fashion firm in America, and they wanted to hire Sulli as a consulting director to oversee the stylists. This was undoubtedly a highly reputable position that would launch Sulli to much greater fame. It started in only one month.

Minho didn’t know how he would be able to live without Sulli, but he knew that he could not stop her from leaving for America. He could not selfishly ask her to stay and limit her from this opportunity, because he knew she would be full of unhappiness and regrets.

But the thought of going day after day without seeing her and touching her made him feel miserable. He had already gone through years without her because of memory loss and months of conflicting schedules because of their careers..

He thought they would finally be able to be together. Why couldn’t they be like Luna and Onew, free to live happily ever after with each other?

Minho had even bought a ring.

 

He was lost in his thoughts when he felt Sulli reach for his hand. She brought her lips close to his ear so that he could feel her hair against his neck and her warmth against his face.

“Let’s go congratulate the newly-weds and then get some food” Sulli whispered to him.

Her stomach grumbled and she laughed at herself. Minho smiled at how adorable her eye smile was. She looked ravishing in the bridesmaid dress.

 

“Sulli-yah!”

Key waved and walked over to give Sulli a friendly hug. He was, of course, dressed very stylishly in a white suit and polka-dotted bowtie. Sulli had picked out the fedora on his head.

Minho instinctively bit his lip. Key had not reacted well when he found out about Minho and Sulli’s relationship. A feeling of awkwardness merged with a strong sense of jealousy, as Key kissed Sulli’s cheek and patted her head.

“Minho-sshi, you look so handsome!”

Key suddenly turned to Minho with a devilish smile. He gave Minho a sincere brotherly hug.

Sulli smiled warmly at them. Then, she abruptly walked away to go talk with the other bridesmaids, leaving Minho behind with Key.

“Uhh…” Minho said.

“Why the awkwardness? You are practically a brother to me now, since you and Sulli are together”

“But I thought you did not approve of me....”

“There are indeed many flaws to your character. Sometimes, you should stop trying to be so mature and cool. But I know you are a kindhearted person who cares for Sulli with every atom of your being. There is no one, after all, who can make her blush so prettily and smile so happily”

“I will try my best”

“Yes, don’t take my approval so lightly. You are the only one who I like for Sulli, but that will change the instant I see you hurt her”

“I promise that I will love and protect her with my all”

“Ah, there you go again, trying to sound manly. Protect her from harm, but realize also that you need protecting too”

“That’s true. Sulli recognizes all my vulnerabilities”

“When will you tie the knot with her anyway?”

“Uhh… That is, I don’t think it is the time—“

“Of course it is the time. We are all talking about it, ever since Onew saw you picking out a ring months ago”

“Bwo?!”

“Ne… We have all been expecting it for a while. But don’t worry. Sulli doesn’t know anything”

Key laughed lightheartedly but Minho was filled with sorrow. Everyone was expecting him to propose to Sulli, but Minho did not even know if they could stay together. She was going away…

He watched her laughing with all her friends and felt a great pain growing in his heart.

Sulli-yah, everyone will miss you.

 

--

 

-Flashback-

“Will you accept the position?”

Minho was sitting across from Sulli at the kitchen table. After Sulli told Minho about the job offer, they had risen from bed silently. Without a word to each other, they had cooked breakfast together. Now, they were picking at the food without much of an appetite.

 

“I haven’t had enough time to consider it” Sulli said quietly.

Her short hair was growing out prettily but she was becoming thinner these days due to her stressful schedule. Minho wondered what would happen if he couldn’t take care of his Ssul baby. But letting her go was the right thing to do…

“You should accept it. You may never have an opportunity like this ever again” Minho said.

Sulli looked at Minho with a look that was hard to read. Her eyes flashed.

“You think I should go to America?” she whispered.

“Yes” Minho said.

He wanted what was best for her.

“Then I’ll go”

 

They finished their breakfast in silence.

Then, Taemin returned home so they talked and joked as if there was nothing on their minds.

But Minho felt like part of his heart had already broken off.

 

--

 

The day of Sulli’s departure was approaching quickly. News of Sulli and Minho’s relationship had spread like wildfire and everyone was happy for them, but Sulli still hadn’t told anyone about her decision to leave for America. She didn’t want anyone to throw her a farewell party or shed tears over her.

Minho and Sulli half-heartedly discussed plans of staying together, but neither of them knew what would happen. Sulli said that she could return to Korea once a year, and Minho said that he could travel to America. However, the distance scared them both.

 

Ten days before her departure, Minho was in Sulli’s room to help her pack.

“Minho, let me keep this shirt and take it with me”

Sulli lifted up a shirt of Minho’s that she often wore to sleep. She tucked it neatly into her suitcase.

“Will you remember me every time you wear it? Don’t ever get tired of it” Minho said sadly.

Sulli leaned over and kissed his cheek.

She packed her lavender perfume – the brand that Minho had given her years ago. The little stuffed froggy went into the suitcase too. The striped shirt they bought with each other. The framed photos of her and Minho together…

Tears started to form in her eyes.

Minho wiped them away and sighed.

 

Suddenly, the door slammed open.

Victoria, Krystal, Key, and Jonghyun stood in the doorway with their arms folded.

“SULLI! What do you think you’re doing?!” Krystal demanded.

“W-what are you talking about?” Sulli stuttered.

Victoria handed her a popular American fashion magazine. It was turned to a page with Sulli’s face printed on it.

The title: RISING KOREAN STYLIST TO OVERSEE AMERICAN START-UP COMPANY

Sulli didn’t need to read the article to understand. It said everything: that she would be leaving Korea and staying in America for five years to assist the agency in its initial stages.

“Why are you abandoning us?”

Victoria was choking on her tears. Key’s pale complexion was flushed.

“How could you plan to leave without telling any of us? We are your closest friends, practically your family. You were just going to disappear for five years?! How could you—”

“That’s enough!” Minho said firmly.

Sulli was on the verge of tears. She covered her face with her hands and shook her head.

“Sulli will explain everything to you later. For now, please leave her alone” Minho said.

He shooed everyone out of the room.

As he pushed the rowdy bunch out of the door, a piece of paper fell onto the ground from Jonghyun’s pocket. Sulli picked it up. It was a clipping from a popular Korean tabloid.

 

“Is fame-obsessed Choi Sulli betraying her Korean roots for a higher position in America?”

Minho noticed the headline and instantly covered Sulli’s eyes. Tears started to stream from her eyes. She cried into his shirt as he her hair. She lay on his lap sobbing, but Minho could tell that she didn’t want to talk about it.

He let her cry it out.

After she wiped her tears, she continued to pack as if nothing had happened.

 

--

 

After leaving Sulli’s apartment, Minho drove back to his home. He sat in his car for a moment, rubbing his forehead. He was sad and exhausted, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to sleep tonight.

Suddenly, his phone vibrated. He picked it up without looking at who was calling.

“Yobseo?” he mumbled.

“Minho-sshi?” Yuri’s voice came from the other end of the line.

“W-what are you calling me for?” Minho asked.

He realized he sounded rather rude, but he was too tired to care. He was surprised that Yuri was calling. Dealing with her was the last thing he wanted to do.

“I just found out the news. Sulli’s leaving for America?”

“Ne…” Minho said.

“Minho, excuse my language, but why the are you just letting Sulli go? You put me through so much just so that you and Sulli could end up together. I gave you up to her. And now, you’re just going to let that all go without a fight? I’m really losing my respect for you. Don’t tell me you’re the kind of guy who loves someone but is too cowardly to hold onto her. Or is that you are really a playboy and you plan on forgetting her?”

“Aniyo! It’s not like that at all. I can’t selfishly keep her as my own. She has her own dreams…”

“Excuses!  If you love her, then make her stay”

That was the last thing Yuri said before she hung up abruptly.

 

--

 

Now, Minho was even more tired. He got out of the car and entered the building, only to find Key sitting outside the door to his apartment.

“What are you doing here?” Minho asked.

“I know it won’t do anything if I scold you. You are far too self-righteous to listen to me, so I simply brought you something”

Key took out a glossy mock-up (draft) of a catalogue. Each page had a vivid clothing design. Some designs were inspired by cherry blossoms (from Minho and Sulli’s childhood days of walking through cherry blossom trees) while others seemed to be portraying rainfall (from the day Minho and Sulli first kissed). The most recent ones were inspired by white petals. All of the designs were accented by the vibrant colors of the sunset.

“What are you trying to show me?” Minho asked.

“You should understand more than I do. Sulli’s artistic talent comes from her memories with you. Each of her works expresses her feelings when she’s with you. Her best pieces are created when she is touched. That is why she is such a brilliant stylist…”

“Thank you for saying that, although you are giving me too much credit” Minho said.

“Don’t act so modest. It’s very natural, isn’t it? People do the most beautiful things when they do them with love. Sulli loves you”

Key gazed steadily into Minho’s eyes, and then he finally turned and left.

--

 

I understand that everyone wants Sulli to stay, but why are they all scolding me? I am the most heartbroken of all. I am not so strong… How can I let her go without seeing a part of me die?

But I cannot be self-centered. We must be independent, after all. I cannot depend on her to stay with me. I will be miserable, but Sulli will be achieving her dreams.

That is my sacrifice for love.

 

--

 

Finally, the day for Sulli to leave came. Early in the morning, Minho picked her up to bring her to the airport.

All of a sudden, she looked so grown-up and sophisticated. She wore sunglasses. Minho knew it was because her eyes must be swollen from crying. Krystal, Amber, Luna, and Victoria had all slept over, and their good-byes must have been very painful.

“Sulli, I didn’t want to say this, but I can’t keep it inside. No matter what happens in America, remember that I am waiting for you. I won’t stop, I can’t stop loving you. There will be many American people who want to take you out for drinks, but just think of me once in a while, okay?”

A tear slid down Sulli’s cheek.

“How can you say that? You will be on my mind all the time, every minute and every second. A lifetime of love does not change just like that”

“Send me an e-mail whenever you can”

“Of course”

“I love you”

Minho stopped the car in front of the airport. He was in the drop-off lane so they had to bid their good-byes quickly. Sulli leaned over and gave Minho one final kiss on the lips.

Then, she got out of the car and entered the airport. Minho didn’t drive away for a while, even though Sulli was already gone and cars continued to beep behind him.

 

 --

Minho didn’t cry as he started to drive home. He felt an ache all over his body.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He picked it up instinctively.

“Yobseo?”

"Hyung? Are you driving back now with Sulli?”

Taemin’s sweet voice came through the phone.

“What are you talking about? I just dropped her off at the airport. She’s boarding the plane to America already” Minho said numbly.

“Bwo? I thought you would have realized by now…”

“Realized what?”

Taemin’s gentle laughter came through the phone.

"I have a question. Did Sulli ever say that she wanted the job as a styling consultant?”

“Bwo? Of course! Wait, no, she never said it exactly… But why wouldn’t she want it?”

“You know Sulli. Has she ever wanted fame or money? As a styling consultant, she doesn’t even get to touch any clothes. She’ll spend all day giving orders and reviewing catalogues from a dull office”

“But she never said she didn’t want that!” Minho said helplessly.

“Because she thought that’s what you wanted. Pabo, don’t you know that there is nothing Sulli wants except to love you? She is only passionate about clothing because she gets to create designs for you. Has anything ever made her happier than being by your side? She told me the other day that her dream is to have many babies and cook for all her family and friends. How blind are you not to realize that— Minho?”

 

Minho had already hung up the phone.

The tires of his car screeched as he sped to reverse his direction. He stepped on the pedal furiously and started to dial Sulli’s number.

The plane was scheduled to leave five minutes ago. But could there be a chance…? Maybe it is delayed? Sulli, please have your phone on, please pick up.

The phone seemed to ring endlessly.

 

“Yobseo?”

Sulli’s voice came through the phone.

“SULLI-YA! Has the plane left yet?! Get off the plane right now” Minho said.

Silence on the other end.

“Sulli?!” Minho practically screamed.

“Minho-sshi, I must be crazy. I didn’t board the plane. I was about to get on, and then I just couldn’t do it. I’m just standing in the airport, and the plane has already left”

“You didn’t get on the plane?!” Minho screamed.

His adrenaline was going insane. He felt suddenly exhilarated.

“I didn’t get on. Can you come pick me up?” Sulli’s voice was hardly a whisper.

“Wait for me” Minho said.

He hung up and stepped on the pedal.

 

--

 

Minho ran across the airport, desperately looking for his love. He hardly noticed all the people staring at him.

Finally, he saw Sulli. When she saw him coming over, she dropped her bags on the floor. When he was close enough, she pulled him towards her and embraced him tightly. She clutched onto his shirt and buried her face in his chest.

“You were really going to let me go all the way to America…” Sulli whispered.

Minho shushed her and cradled her in his arms.  

 

“I have something for you” Minho said when they finally let go of each other.

He took out a bottle of orange juice and handed it to Sulli. He knew she would be thirsty, especially since she had been crying.

She took the orange juice and opened it slowly. She began to drink while Minho gathered her bags.

 

Sulli gasped.

She had finished all the orange juice and she was now staring at the bottle. On it, there were four words written in orange ink.

WILL YOU MARRY ME?

Sulli looked over to Minho, who was on his knees, holding up a ring.

“Sulli, don’t ever leave me. Marry me”

 

 

---

 

NEXT CHAPTER IS LAST CHAPTER!

how has this story been, everyone? 

 

It has been a really interesting time writing this fic, and I'm so glad that all you lovely readers were able to share in my minsul love hehehe. It's been quite a journey, hasn't it been? (well, at least for me)

please please please leave a comment <3

I need to be filled up with lots of encouragement in order to write the ending of this fic! 

 

fun fact: 

sulli said recently in an interview that in twenty years, she sees herself with many babies and cooking for all the f(x) members.