chpt.17 RETURN TO CHILDHOOD PART IV

Looks Like Love

 

Minho distractedly kicked the ball up with one foot and then caught it with the other.

There wasn’t much time left until the soccer championships would start. Recruiters for the region’s top soccer program would be watching the game so Minho felt a lot of pressure.

Unfortunately, his mind was filled with distractions.

 

-Flashback-

“Yuri… why did you bid on me?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I like you”

“Bwo?!”

“Minho-sshi… let’s go out”

 

Minho kicked the ball in frustration. He didn’t know what to think.

He admired Yuri as a noona but she wasn’t Sulli. His feelings for Sulli were so strong that he forgot everything else when he was with her.

Then again, Sulli would only ever see him as an oppa and he would never let himself take away her innocence. Maybe it was best to ignore his feelings and start dating Yuri…

 

“Oppaaaaa!”

Sulli came running across the soccer field, waving her arms happily.

She had changed out of the tiger costume into a simple white dress.

Minho had never seen Sulli in a dress. Even though the dress wasn’t y or stylish like what other girls wore, it showed off Sulli’s bare shoulders and smooth legs. She looked like a fresh spring blossom with fair skin and pink cheeks.

Minho instantly felt himself blushing. He wished more than anything to wrap his arms around her soft body.

 

“Oppa, I know you are naturally competitive but you shouldn’t push yourself too hard. Just enjoy the game, please?”

Sulli worried over Minho.

“Don’t worry about me. Just wish me luck, ne?”

Sulli smiled and handed Minho a bottle of orange juice.

“What is this? I only drink energy drinks before a game”

“I put a magic good-luck spell in this orange juice. You have to drink all of it!”

Sulli said mischieviously. Minho laughed and opened the bottle to drink the orange juice. Even though he usually didn’t like such sweet drinks, it was refreshing because it came from Sulli.

“This is your form of good luck. Will you also wish me luck in my way?’

“What is your way?”

Minho leaned over and pointed to his cheek. Sulli pressed her soft lips to his cheek. Although it wasn’t unusual for his dongsaeng to peck him on the cheek, the kiss lasted a moment longer this time.

“Are you happy now?!”

“Sulli is like magic orange juice. She always makes me happy no matter what!”

 

--

 

"GO MINHO!" the crowd cheered. 

Minho was now at the best angle to shoot the ball. He looked to either side of him. Nobody was guarding him.

His heart beat fast and he felt the adrenaline rush in his body. This goal would break the tie and lead his team to victory.

The sun was beginning to set so he could see his shadow.

Instinctively, his finger went to the logo Sulli had stitched onto his uniform. He took a quick moment to look in the stands. Hundreds of fans were clapping and cheering, but his eyes auto-focused on Sulli. She and Taemin were yelling his name.

"You shouldn’t push yourself too hard"

Minho felt all the tension leave his body. He let himself relax and suddenly he felt free. With one swift easy motion, he kicked the soccer ball and smiled.

“SCORE!”

The ball flew straight into the goal.

Minho felt like his heart would burst. He raised his fists in victory as all his teammates ran to gather around him.

 

--

 

“Oppa, I'm so proud!!"

Sulli and Taemin met up with Minho on the field after the game. Sulli ran over to give Minho a hug while Taemin high-fived him. 

“It was all because of the luck you gave me”

Minho put one arm around Taemin and the other around Sulli. At that moment, he felt like there was nothing more he wanted in life.

Just let me stay like this forever and I will be the luckiest guy in the world.

 

“Let’s take a picture together!”

Sulli pulled out a camera and raised it up to take a self-camera photo. They got in closer together and smiled as the camera flashed. 

 

“Uh oh! Taemin was cut off!” Sulli pouted when she looked at how the picture turned out.

She ran over to Minho's teammate, who was still on the field. With an irresistible smile, she asked him to take a picture. Charmed by Sulli's aegyo, he agreed. 

Minho’s arms were still around Taemin. Sulli stood in the middle and smiled sweetly.

The camera went off.

 

The teammate handed the camera over to Sulli.

He stared at Sulli and Minho.

“Wow, how long have you two been together? It must be nice to be so close!”

“She is just my dongsaeng” Minho blurted out quickly.

“Really? But the way you guys look  at each other … It looks like love”

 

The guy shrugged and walked away.

Taemin smiled mischieviously at Sulli and Minho.

“Don’t wait for me to go back to the building today. I am going to go run a few errands for  my mother. I’ll leave now. Annyeong!”

Taemin waved and ran off, leaving Minho and Sulli alone.

 

Sulli turned to Minho but didn’t look him in the eyes. She looked at the ground.

“What’s the matter with you all of a sudden?” Minho nudged Sulli lightly. 

“Did you mean it when you said that I am just your dongsaeng?” Sulli whispered shyly.

Even though Minho couldn’t see her face, he knew that she was blushing.

“Of course you are my cherished dongsaeng. I know you have me and Taemin but you are my only dongsaeng so I have to take care of you, you know” Minho mumbled. He had always been very bad at lyind.

“But … that’s it? Do you see me as just a child? What do I truly mean to you?” Sulli whispered.

It sounded like she was about to cry. Minho started to panic. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt Sulli’s feelings. But he didn’t know how to answer the question. It was becoming more dangerous. He couldn’t just pretend he didn’t feel anything for her.

“There is nobody more irreplaceable in my heart…” Minho began to say.

“Minho! You’re so blind. Don’t you see what I am trying to say to you right now?” Sulli said with tears in her eyes.

Why did she just call me Minho instead of oppa?

“Minho… Saranghae” Sulli finally said.

Her voice didn’t waver at all even though tears flowed freely down her face. She turned around so that Minho wouldn’t see her crying like a child.  

 

Minho instantly grabbed Sulli’s arm and pulled her towards him.

Without a thought, he caught her soft lips with his.

His hands were originally on her bare shoulders but they moved to her small waist. Sulli’s arms stayed locked around Minho’s neck as they kissed for the first time under the brilliant sunset.

 

“I can’t lie anymore. Sulli, there is no one I have ever loved the way I love you. Every single thing you do, even just tucking your hair behind your ear, makes my heart go crazy. I am not pure or kind like you, but I still can’t help wanting you to be mine. Please don’t run away. Stay with me”

Tears continued to flow from Sulli’s eyes as she kissed Minho’s cheek, and then his nose and his forehead and even his eyelids.

“Ya! Didn’t I tell you not to cry in front of me?”

“But I need you so much that I can hardly stand it!”

Minho wrapped Sulli in his arms and felt her head lean on his shoulder. He didn’t let go for a long time.

 

--

 

The sun set had set and the stars were out.

Minho and Sulli held hands as innocent children while they walked back to their building.

“Sulli, let’s wish upon a star together!”

Minho pointed at the night sky. Sulli nodded. They both stopped walking and closed their eyes as they turned to face each other.

Minho interlocked his fingers with Sulli’s as they made a wish.

 

“What did you wish for?” Minho asked.

“I can’t tell you that!”

“Just tell me! You can tell me anything, since you and I are a part of each other now”

“I wished for you to remember this moment forever. No matter what, don’t forget that I kissed you like this. My heart belongs to you now”

Sulli leaned over and gave Minho a quick but sweet kiss on the lips.

I won’t forget.

 

--

 

“Sulli, will you help me?!”

Minho’s mother was at the door to Sulli’s apartment with desperation in her eyes. 

“Minho’s head is in a lot of pain but he refuses to go to the hospital unless you go with us! Please come. He keeps screaming in agony”

Minho’s mother pleaded. Sulli immediately ran across the hall to Minho’s apartment.

Minho was on the ground with his hands against his head. His eyes were shut tightly and he kept in pain.

“Minho-sshi! What’s wrong?!” Sulli asked.

Minho could barely respond. He just let Sulli help him stand up. Everything hurt so much that he could barely see or move. Sulli let him lean his body against her.

Then, he out.

 

 

“Minho has been diagnosed with a rare degenerative disorder in his brain. Without immediate treatment, the disease will expand rapidly and essentially eat his brain tissue. He would lose all mental functions and he’d have to spend the rest of his life in a coma. We recommend intensive surgery starting in just five days”

The doctor delivered the bad news.

Minho’s mother could hardly stifle her sobs. Minho showed no expression as his heart sank. It had only been a few weeks since he and Sulli confessed to each other. 

He looked over to Sulli.

She was lying in Minho’s mother’s lap, sleeping soundly. 

 

--

 

 

 

the next chapter will reveal everything. are you guys ready??!! 

comment and subscribe!! you readers are so good to me! 

hehe although I think I lost subscribers because of my rant from last chapter. and I know you guys are impatient for everything to be revealed.  sorry, readers <3 

I am such a bad author! I actually was putting off this chapter because I didn't know if I could write it well. In the end, another minsul moment happened at the mbc music show champion... so I was motivated. but I hope this chapter isn't a disappointment ): 

 

fun facts: 

1. when you read about sulli's white dress in this chapter, think of the one she wore at the SBS drama awards! 

2. minho likes when a girl flips her hair behind her neck as she's studying. thanks @hafizaz!