chpt.18 RETURN TO CHILDHOOD PART V

Looks Like Love

hi guys!! it's the last chapter for the RETURN TO CHILDHOOD. don't forget to subscribe, comment, and vote! ;) MINSUL FIGHTING. 

 

--

 

 

“Minho-sshi! You took your medicine, right?”

Sulli asked as she crawled comfortably into Minho’s lap. They were sitting in his room the day after he had been sent to the hospital and given his diagnosis.

He couldn’t tell Sulli about what the doctor had said. She was too young and pure. Minho knew that the news would hurt her and he could not stand to see her lose that bright smile and innocent face.

He told her that he simply had a mild concussion and the prescribed medicine would heal him in no time.

 

“I haven’t taken it yet. It’s too bitter so I need to drink Sulli’s orange juice with it”

Minho wrapped his arms around Sulli from the back like a protective bear. 

“You better take it now so you get well soon! Or else I’ll be sad”

Sulli demanded and lightly hit Minho’s shoulder.

“Ya! No manners!”

Minho pretended to be mad and started to tickle little Sulli. She started to laugh hysterically with open and threw her arms around Minho’s neck.

“You are turning seven years old soon and you are still not like a lady at all. Gujil gujil”

Sulli instantly let go of Minho and frowned.

Minho laughed and grabbed her hands back. He kissed her pouty cheek and then gave her a peck on the lips.

“Why do I have to act like a lady around you? Why can’t I just be myself?”

Sulli stuck her bottom lip out. Minho cupped her face in his hands and kissed her again. Then, he looked seriously into her eyes. He loved the way her good-natured eyes made her look so naïve.

“Aish, Sulli-yah, I am in trouble. No matter how foolish you are, I keep on loving you like a fool myself. Two fools together… how did this happen?!”

“It is because you are in the habit of spoiling me! You always let me get away with everything”

“Ne, I will always love you no matter what. Even if I lose my mind, my heart will keep loving you”

With those words, Minho hugged Sulli tightly and didn’t let her go for a long time.

--

 

The scheduled date of Minho’s surgery was approaching quickly. Although Minho was only eight years old, he knew the seriousness of his disease.

There was a chance he wouldn’t survive the operation. Even if he did, many of his brain functions would be lost. He could become mentally disabled or physically paralyzed. He was scared for his health, but he was even more scared for how Sulli would take it.

He cherished each day with Sulli. It was spring so they spent many of their days walking outside together through parks full of cherry blossom trees or shops full of colorful pastries.

At school, he couldn’t see Sulli too much.

Yuri always looked for him to talk but he never paid much attention to her. Actually, he knew that she always fooled around with the older boys who were already in middle school. He didn’t understand why she liked him.  

 

Three days before the surgery, Taemin came into the empty classroom where Minho was studying. It was lunchtime for Minho but Sulli was still in class, so Minho had wanted some peace and quiet.

Taemin walked over to Minho and touched his back gently.  

“Hyung… have you been feeling well?” Taemin sounded concerned.

Minho turned around to look at his closest friend. Taemin’s face was usually sweet and peaceful, but now he looked anxious.

“Of course. Why do you ask?” Minho tried to hide the shakiness in his voice.

Taemin may have seemed like just a pretty boy but he was actually very perceptive. It was almost impossible to hide anything from him, especially since he was always looking out for Minho.  

“I have seen you often looking like you’re in pain. At first, I thought it was because you were nervous about the soccer program but that can’t be it because you would appear confident even if you were worried about the results. Yet I always see you pressing your hand against your head or walking rather unevenly. Sulli has noticed it too but she doesn’t want to bother you with questions…”

Taemin reached over and held Minho’s hand. Minho just stared ahead without knowing what to say. It was true that there were times when his head hurt so much that he couldn’t even see straight or stay standing. It was beginning to become harder and harder to pretend he was fine. But he couldn’t make it a burden to his friends, especially not Taemin and Sulli.

 “A-Aniyo… Just forget it. I had a concussion a few days ago so I am still feeling some of the effects but it will be fine soon”

Minho said quietly without looking at Taemin’s eyes.

Taemin stared at Minho and opened his mouth to say something but Minho quickly interrupted him.  

“I need to finish studying so let’s talk later, okay?” Minho said.

Taemin nodded slowly, knowing that he shouldn't push Minho. He gave Minho a quick hug and then left the classroom.

 

After a while, Minho noticed that Taemin had left his assignment book in the room.

Doesn’t he need this to do his work today? I better bring it to him. What class is he in right now?

Minho opened the notebook to look for Taemin’s schedule.

Taemin had scribbled all over the book. On one page, he had even written “I’m fabulous like Bi Rain”

Minho smirked as he continued flipping through the book.  Suddenly, the word “Sulli” caught his eye on one of the pages.

What is he saying about Sulli?

 

“Sulli, Minho, & Taemin… happy family~~ always there for each other”

Minho smiled and kept reading.

“Actually we cannot be children forever. I know that Minho is hiding something about himself. He must not be feeling well but he doesn’t want us to worry. I want to be there for him. Sulli too… Even though we treat her like our dongsaeng, she is the one taking care of us and easing our hearts when our lives get hard. But she has her own issues”

Minho continued to stare at the page. What issues does Sulli have?

He flipped the page.

“SM Agency has noticed Sulli and they want to train her to debut as a model even though she is not even seven years old yet. Her parents want her to debut since their family is poor and could not even send her to a good school in their hometown. It is an opportunity that only comes once in a lifetime. But Sulli refused because she needs to take care of Minho. They finally confessed to each other. Even the way they stand next to each other looks like love. I am happy for that~~ But now, I might lose both of them?”

Clipped on the page was the photo that Sulli had taken on the day Minho won the soccer game. It was small so the faces were hard to recognize, but Minho could see Sulli’s youthful smile and fresh white dress.

It had only been a few weeks ago, but suddenly, it felt like so long ago…. Those innocent days when everything felt so simple and happy.

Why didn’t Sulli tell me about this? So SM noticed her even before they recruited Yuri… This is her chance, but I am selfishly holding her back. I cannot continue to keep her by my side like this. She would just be stuck wiping away my drool and feeding me medicine after my operation. She can do so much better. 

Why do I keep taking her for granted?

I must set her free…

 

--

 

“Minho-sshi!”

Sulli ran over to Minho. She had been trying to grow her hair so she had tied it into adorable pigtails. She had even started to tuck her shirt in and wear the lavender-scented perfume.

Sulli is growing up…

Minho gazed at her smiling face. It was like the sunshine that melted away all his problems.

 But she wasn’t his to keep. Soon, the whole world should be looking at Sulli’s beauty the way they look at the rising sun.

 

“Minho-sshi! Why did you start walking back home without me?”

Sulli panted when she caught up with Minho.

“Why do we always have to walk together? You were too slow so I left without you” Minho said coldly and continued walking without even a glance at Sulli.

Sulli frowned and struggled to keep up clumsily.

“What’s wrong? Why are you unhappy today?”

Sulli reached over to touch Minho’s cheek but he moved away and stared at Sulli expressionlessly. His sudden movement caused Sulli to stumble.  

Instantly, Minho grabbed her arm to make sure she didn’t fall over.

“Why are you so clumsy? I am going to go ahead”

Minho let go of Sulli’s arm and walked away quickly. He didn’t dare turn back because he was afraid of seeing Sulli’s face.

How could I hurt her?

 

--

 

“Let’s not be together anymore” Minho said.

Sulli had called him to ask if they could meet on the soccer field after class. That morning, Minho had left for school without her. When she called out to him in the hall, he ignored her coldly.

Minho decided it was time to end it with her. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to stand the pain of letting her go, but this was for the best.

Sulli was still young so she would find someone else who wouldn’t be a burdensome brain disorder patient. Even though Minho wouldn’t be able to stay with her, seeing her happy would be enough…

This was Minho’s decision.

 

“Why? What happened? Can’t you just tell me? We’ve always been able to tell each other everything…” Sulli whispered. 

“I don’t love you. You’re not beautiful and you’re not good at anything, so don’t say you love me anymore. It’s so burdensome” Minho said.

Before Sulli could respond, he turned around and ran away. He knew that there was no way he would have been able to keep his resolve if he saw her start to cry. Sulli’s tears were his greatest weakness.  

Every moment he had with Sulli flooded his mind.

That first day they met in the apartment building, she fell back into his arms. Even back then, Sulli was always falling and Minho was always trying to catch her. But it was really Sulli who was the one saving Minho.

The way she pouted when Minho . The look in her eyes when she smiled. The bandages on her fingers when she was learning to sew for him. The cute tiger costume she wore.  The sweet orange juice she brought for him.

Sulli gave him so much but he couldn’t do anything for her…

“Whatever you do, don’t let me go…”

 

--

 

“Minho-sshi! Come on!” Yuri called out.

She was finally on her date with Minho after she saved up months of allowance to win at the auction.

They were shopping in the marketplace. Minho seemed rather distracted, which made Yuri more and more frustrated. Everyone knew that he liked her, but he seemed so uninterested.

“Look at this! Let’s buy these couple rings”

Yuri pointed out a pair of rings on display. She smiled sweetly at Minho and pulled him over by holding onto his hand.

Minho nodded politely and paid for the couple rings. Yuri happily placed one on her finger and the  other one on Minho’s finger.

Minho accepted it without saying much.

After meeting with Sulli on the soccer field yesterday, he had called Yuri to schedule their date. He felt it was best, so that Sulli would be able to give up on him completely.

In the end, he was here with Yuri but he was filled with thoughts of Sulli.

He could tell Yuri was becoming displeased.

“Noona, why do you like me?” Minho asked.

“You know I spend time with many older boys, but none of them are like you. You are like a perfect guy. You are handsome and athletic. And you get high scores on your exams too. Everybody likes you since you’re so charismatic”

Yuri didn’t truly know him. He was not perfect at all. Sulli would have told him that he was too competitive and serious. He shouldn’t be so masculine all the time. Only Sulli could make him let down his guard and laugh like a foolish child.

“Minho-sshi… What are you thinking about?”

Yuri looked at Minho curiously.

“Ah… I’m hungry. Let’s go find something to eat” Minho said.

“Wait, can I tell you something, Minho?” Yuri said softly.

She tucked a strand of hair behind her hair shyly. Minho nodded.

“You know, I am leaving and training to become a model soon. I want to remember you. S-so will you give me a kiss?” Yuri asked.

Minho was paralyzed. He didn’t know what to do. Yuri was leaning toward him. 

Before he could react, she pressed her lips against his.

Minho quickly moved away.

Yuri looked shocked and hurt so he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Noona, you have to remember that I am younger than you” Minho whispered.

Yuri reached for his hand but then someone suddenly tugged on his arm.

Minho turned around in shock and saw Taemin looking upset.

“Ya! Choi Minho! Come with me”

Taemin did not even look in Yuri’s direction. He just pulled Minho away. 

 

“What do you think you’re doing? You know that I would never tell you what to do, but have you lost your mind?”

Minho had never heard Taemin raise his voice.

“W-what are you talking about? I was on a date” Minho said.

“Did you just forget Sulli? Is this how you treat the one person who loves you more than anyone else? I don’t believe that you are truly this kind of person!”

“I can’t be with her. It will never work between us” Minho said quietly.

“This is your last chance. She told me earlier today that she’s going back to her family's home in Ilsan. No matter what happened between you two, I don’t believe that you can’t resolve it together”

“It’s better this way. Isn’t she going to become a model? She'll be successful...”

Taemin looked like he wanted to hit Minho.

“How can you be so blind? After all this time, how could you not know that you are the source of Sulli’s happiness? She never wanted to model. Do you think someone like Sulli, who never cares about her image, would be happy as a model? All she has ever wanted is to stay with you”

Taemin shook Minho’s shoulder. Minho stared at Taemin in shock.

“She never wanted to be a model…?”

“Aniyo!”

“B-but I hurt her so much. How can I get her back now? I have no right. She must hate me”

“What does it matter if you have the right or not? She is leaving for the train station now. No matter what problems you are going through, let me ask you... Can you live without Sulli?!”

 

Minho did not even answer. He turned around instantly and began to run toward the train station.

Can you live without Sulli?

Minho had never felt so stupid. No matter what, he could not live without Sulli. He thought that heartbreak would become easier overtime, but now he knew that it would only become more painful. If he couldn’t see Sulli, he would not be able to stand it.

Please, Sulli, wait for me!

Suddenly, he heard a loud honk.  He didn’t even have time to wonder what the sound was.

The last thing he he saw was the bright white sun as a car collided into his body.

 

--

 

Please leave a message after the – BEEP.

“Sulli-yah! I don’t know where you are now, but something has happened to Minho-sshi. He’s in the emergency room right now after being hit by a car. P-please come back. I don’t think he can survive without you!”

Sulli replayed the message over and over again as tears flowed down her cheeks. Even though her heart hurt and she could hardly breathe, she knew that she couldn’t do anything.

Minho is no longer mine to save. Only Yuri can be there for him now… 

 

--

 

aahh I wonder what will happen now in the present? subscribe to find out! thank you all for the support. you are such kind readers that make me so happy! 

 

fun facts:

1. minho likes a girl with good-natured eyes. 

2. taemin actually did write "fabulous like bi rain" in his assignment book when he was in grade school hahahahaa. isn't he cute?!