chpt.16 RETURN TO CHILDHOOD part III

Looks Like Love

SATURDAY MORNING 

 

Minho woke up in Sulli’s room with his head hurting and his entire body feeling numb.

Immediately, his mind flashed back to yesterday. The powerful current, the icy rain, and Sulli's little body being swallowed by the water.

"I won't go anywhere! I promise! I won't ever leave you"

Thankfully, Sulli was sitting next to him. She was sewing his jersey.

Minho looked at her with tenderness in his eyes and felt his headache fade away.

Sulli was really here next to him... he had to load her up in his eyes so that she was embedded in his heart. 

She wore a loose shirt that used to belong to Minho before he grew out of it. It made him feel like he was a part of her even though it was just a simple shirt.

Then, he noticed that her ankle was bandaged and it must have caused her pain. Yet she looked peaceful and healthy.

Sulli’s immune system is really first-class.

Minho smiled and reached over to mess Sulli’s hair affectionately.

 

“Oh! Oppa, you’re awake?”

Sulli turned to face Minho. Minho nodded and sat up.

He leaned his head gently on her shoulder and put his arm around her waist. She was surprised that he was being so close but she didn’t move away.

I used to think that I shouldn’t be too close to Sulli. I don’t want to be like the other guys who like her without understanding how pure-hearted she is. Deep down, my feelings are probably just as impure. All I want to do is make Sulli mine.

But I truly thought I would lose her yesterday. 

Sulli, just let me have this moment of weakness so I can hold you like this for a while longer.

Because, right now, I don’t know how to let go.

 

“Komawo, oppa. It must have been a real burden for you yesterday. I know I am too clumsy. I’m sorry” Sulli whispered.

“You should be sorry” Minho said. Don't you know that I wouldn't be able to stand it if I ever lost you?

“You should be sorry for giving your oppa so much heartache. You don't know how much I need you. Don’t ever cry like that in front of me. I can’t stand to see you hurt”   

 

Minho wrapped his arms around Sulli and pulled her close to him.

It is getting harder for me to keep a distance.

“Ya! Oppa, I am trying to mend your shirt. You’re in the way” 

Minho let Sulli go so that she could get back to sewing.

Unfortunately, this meant that he had to stay shirtless. He covered himself up with the blanket, even though he knew Sulli only saw him as a brother.

 

Wrapped in Sulli's soft blanket, Minho's eyes wandered around the sunny room. On her desk, there were pictures of her with her parents and brothers. Minho also noticed snapshots of her and Jiyoung wearing a matching couple necklace, and photos of her and Heechul holding a scarf against their faces.

Minho felt a slight twinge of frustration that there were no pictures of him with Sulli.

 

To take his mind off of his jealousy, he turned to talk to Sulli.

“Why do you have so many perfumes?”

He pointed to all the perfume bottles on her nightstand. 

“I like to collect perfumes. Because scents are always associated with memories. So collecting perfumes is like collecting memories”

 

Minho stared at her so that he could soak up every part of her into his memory. 

I will never forget Sulli. I want to stay by her side forever. 

When she was focused on sewing, she didn’t look like a little child anymore.

Even if everyone thought of Sulli as a fragile child with a lot of cuteness, Minho knew that she was actually very strong and thoughtful.

--

 

“Oppa, Taeminnie told me that your class is going to participate in the Spring festival. What will your class do as a fundraiser?”

Sulli and Minho were both lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling in quiet boredom.

“They are auctioning off dates with some students in the class”

“Are you going to be auctioned too?”

“I don’t want to. It is too much of a hassle dealing with all those girls. And it’s on the same day as the soccer championships so I should be practicing during the day”

“You are too competitive. Stop giving yourself so much pressure and just have fun at the festival! And you should participate in the fundraiser since you are the class president too. It will look bad if you don’t help the class raise money for a good cause”

“But I would have to dress in different outfits to show the audience. I don’t have any clothes other than sports clothes…”

 

“Oppa, if I create and style all your outfits, will you agree to participate in the fundraiser?”

Minho looked at Sulli in shock.

"How can you do something like that?”

“I am eager to learn so that I can design clothing just for you”

 

--

 

“Sulli, how are you not dying in the heat?”

Taemin walked over to Sulli and handed her a cool bottle of orange juice. His class and Sulli’s class were raising funds at the Spring festival by opening a café.

While Taemin was the pretty barista, Sulli was wearing a furry white tiger suit and standing out in the sun to attract customers.

 

“Sulli-yah, why did you agree to do this?!”

Minho was right behind Taemin.

As usual, he wondered why Sulli always got herself into troublesome situations. She was the prettiest girl in the entire school, yet she volunteered to hide her face in a thick tiger costume.

“None of the other girls wanted to do it! I thought it would be fun!” Sulli gulped down the cold drink in a very unlady-like manner.

“Gujil gujil, just look at yourself. Your short hair can never stay neat. It's always sticking up. Why can’t you be like other girls and let your hair grow long? You're not feminine at all…”

Minho shook his head disapprovingly, but he still tousled Sulli’s hair affectionately. 

Sulli crossed her arms.

“Minho oppa! If you think girls with long hair are beautiful, then I will grow my hair long!” Sulli said defiantly.

Little Sulli was so adorable when she was acting angry. Minho couldn’t help himself. He began to laugh. Taemin soon joined in.

“Dongsaeng is so cute no matter what”

Taemin patted Sulli’s shoulder in encouragement.

Even though she felt tired and hot, she beamed happily at her flower boy oppa.

Minho felt a small bud of jealousy again…

 

“Minho-sshi! Please come into the school building so that you can get ready for the auction!” called the teacher’s voice.

Minho didn’t want to leave Sulli yet but he had no other choice. He waved to Taemin and Sulli as he ran to the building. The girls who saw him run by started to squeal excitedly and snap pictures.

All these girls think they like me when they don’t even know who I am. It’s like I am just a pretty toy to them… Do I really have to be auctioned off to one of them?

 

In the school’s lobby, there were five girls and five guys who were to be auctioned.

Minho took out the clothes that Sulli had worked hard to design just for him. 

She and Taemin had even gone to Garosugil street to buy the fabrics. The two of them had such pretty faces and innocent expressions that shopkeepers sold them materials for half the price.

Sulli had selected to use very warm tones like the colors of the sunset.

“Because I first felt admiration for you when I realized oppa is like the bright flame of a sunset, always shining and inspiring me” Sulli had told Minho when she presented him with the finished clothes.

 

Minho locked himself into an empty classroom to change. The window was slightly open since it was so humid inside the room, so he could hear people talking outside.

“They say that Yuri and Minho are going to get the highest bids at the auction”

“Yuri has already been noticed by a modeling agency. Apparently she’ll become a trainee after she graduates from elementary school”

“Minho is so lucky to catch the attention of the most beautiful girl in school”

“As expected since he’s the most handsome guy in school, right?”

“But all he thinks about is sports. When will he stop being such a jock and just start dating Yuri already?”

 

Minho sighed. Why was everyone at this school so full of gossip?

Before Sulli had transferred to school, Minho had indeed admired Yuri.

She had a pretty face, flawless body, and good personality.

But all she cared about was her image. She put too much value on beauty and popularity. The only reason why she noticed Minho was probably because he got so much attention.

Yuri was nothing like Sulli, who didn’t care at all about her image but still stirred Minho’s heart with her foolish smile and messy hair.

 

Shaking the thoughts away, Minho quickly got dressed. Then, he noticed that there were still a few minutes to spare before the auction began.

He snuck out of the building without anyone noticing, and started to run all over the festival to search for Sulli.

Finally, he saw her tail sticking out from behind a tree.

“Sulli-yah!”

He ran over. Sulli turned around, her eyes full of bright spirit. 

 

“Why are you here when the auction is in only a few minutes?!”

“I wanted to give you something as thanks for designing all my clothes”

Minho reached out his hand and spread his palm to reveal the gift.

Sulli’s eyes widened in surprise. She gasped and tears began to form in her eyes from happiness.

 

Minho was holding out a lavender-scented perfume.

“Because people say that the lavender scent is healing. No matter how troublesome my life is, you always bring me a peaceful smile. So I hope that this fragrance will always fill you with memories of me”

Sulli flew into Minho’s arms and gave him a tight hug. Minho leaned down and kissed her cheek.

Sulli was like a lavender flower, with delicate buds and subtle fragrance.

 

He slipped the perfume into her hand and then ran off for the auction so that Sulli wouldn't see his face blushing.

 

--

 

“Next up is Choi Minho, the charismatic soccer captain and class president! Which girl here has saved up the most allowance to go out with him?”

Countless girls scrambled to bid.

Minho narrowed his eyes to see if Sulli was in the mob of girls. Unfortunately, there was so much movement that he couldn’t recognize anyone.

Finally, the winning bid was announced.

 

“Wow! This is an unbeatable bid… Kwon Yuri, please come up and claim your date!” 

 

 

--

 

 

hahahaaaa it's still leading up the painful memory! I am too scared to reveal it to you guys.

I think the full past will finally be revealed in two chapters, so please be patient with me.

comment and subscribe and vote, everybody!! all of you are the best <3

fun facts: 

1. sulli dressed up as a white tiger in to the beautiful you

2. sulli had short hair as a child! 

 

so recently I have been hearing about sulli getting hate. I want to respond to this. this is probably not the appropriate place to post this rant but I have nowhere else to post it. 

first of all, her beauty is so unique and untouchable. all these other kpop girls -- krystal, yuri, suzy, etc. -- are very pretty but they all look so generic that people always end up saying they look like each other. none of them are as naturally and purely beautiful as sulli, who is just in her own league EVEN WITHOUT PLASTIC SURGERY. she is those kinds of timeless beauties ... plus she can be any kind of beautiful: cute, pretty, y, HANDSOME too! 

however, even though she's sulovely, nobody can say she is just a pretty face because she is actually so much more. she is the idol with the most interesting personality in the entire kpop industry. 

she was a talented and promising actress even at a young age, and she is not afraid to explore new sides to herself. people think that she tries too hard to be cute and it seems fake, but she said herself that she has a masculine and rough side that isn't expressed. she acted very tough in punch lady. and now, by acting in to the beautiful you, she shows us that she is a serious idol rather than a silly girl who just wants to be cute all the time. 

in fact, in the I AM SMtown posters, it was krystal who said "I am CUTE" while sulli said "I am EAGER" because she wanted to learn as much as she could. in interviews, she always admits that she doesn't consider herself a good dancer or a beautiful girl. from the SMTown documentary we can see that she works very hard to the point of tears. even in running man, people criticized her for not being athletic but she truly tried her best and felt responsible for the team. kwanghee was a ing deadbeat but nobody bashed HIM. even though sulli laughs a lot, she actually is probably one of the most down-to-earth and hardworking idols under SM.  

she never tries to get attention but all different people are naturally attracted to her. even though she laughs loudly and acts foolish, so many people adore her: heechul, gdragon, yonghwa, kim jong kook.... even IU wrote an entire song about falling in love with sulli. 

and yet she is still so modest. while other girl idols name handsome boys as their ideal type, sulli named kwanghee as her ideal type because he has a funny personality (even though he isn't that good-looking) and actor ahn sung ki because he is kind (even though is like sixty years old). that's just evidence that she is the furthest thing from shallow or fake. she values people for MORE THAN LOOKS.

she is not useless to f(x). the group needs a sweet voice like hers. she also truly takes care of her members. luna has said that sulli is the best listener in the group and she always brings a light and caring atmosphere to any difficult situation.

sulli is such a caring and nurturing person. she always helps the needy. her fans gave her 500kg of rice wreaths and she donated it all to malnourished children. her vogue girl photo shoot was also part of a campaign to help needy families through the korean red cross. she hand-knit an entire ing scarf for heechul and showed support for SHINEE on her me2day. in his outcast days, everyone was scared of heechul but it was the innocent sulli who befriended him. there isn't a single part of her that is insincere, vain, or superficial.

SO NEXT TIME YOU SEE ANYONE BASHING SULLI, PASTE THIS TO THEM. share the sulli love.