Chapter 7

The Phone Call

 

"So how do you propose we do this?" the emcee questioned Changmin after the commotion had died down, seeing as Changmin was the one who suggested it.

 

"The phone there," Changmin pointed to the phone Yunho was still holding in his hand, "has all three of their numbers correct?"

 

The emcee nodded, not quite getting what Changmin meant.

 

"We can use that phone to hold a conference call with three of them at once."

 

"What about you two?" the emcee asked.

 

"We both will be on the receiving end of that phone." Changmin answered.

 

"I see you've got everything covered huh?" the emcee stated, "Tensai Changmin is Tensai Changmin after all."

 

Changmin smiled politely back to the emcee. If he was honest with himself, he did not know where he was going with this either. He was just so sick and tired of Yunho running away from the situation and Jaejoong pining for him and hating him for it that he just felt that he had to do something about it. Making a phone call was the best thing he could think of. 

 

After all, had he not patched up with Yoochun and Junsu through a very phone call? Since they both were still in love with each other, surely this phone call would present an opportunity for them to air all their feelings out?

 

"However, emcee shii," Changmin's voice dropped a tone, replying to the emcee, "this phone call would be made entirely private to us only."

 

That startled Yunho out of his thoughts. Turning to Changmin who had spoken, he was surprised to see a hint of worry in Changmin's eyes directed at him.

 

From that, Yunho could tell Changmin was not only worried if this phone call would worsen the relationship between him and Jaejoong. He was also worried that he might be mad at him for his interference.

 

Suddenly, Yunho recalled all those instances that Changmin's eyes revealed that expression, and displayed such behaviour. It was nothing noticeable. A tug of the shirt when Yunho got up abruptly to use the toilet, a tear escaped when Yunho went out without telling him and a crease of the eyebrows when he was greeted with an empty room in the morning. Still, they all pointed down to something; Changmin's fear of abandonment.

 

It was an insecurity that he had then which did not change over the years. Yunho remembered. When the lawsuit first broke out, he had fallen into depression. Instead of being the strong leader he was supposed to be, Yunho fell apart, leaving Changmin to pick up the pieces behind him. Changmin never complained though. Stepping up to the plate, he became the leader of them two, guiding Yunho along and advising him on important decisions, lifting him up and providing him a way out of the darkness.

 

If not for Changmin being such a strong pillar of support for him, would Yunho have survived those days? He highly doubted so. Yet, at times like these, he was reminded that Changmin was still his maknae, a maknae that needed someone to take care of him. A maknae that feared Yunho would abandon him someday like his precious three other hyungs did.

 

Yunho smiled back at Changmin like it was the most natural thing for him to do, reassuring him of all his insecurities. Instantly, the slight frown on Changmin's face was replaced by a bright smile. Although worry still remained, confidence that Yunho would be by his side no matter what he did gave him strength to continue on with what he was doing.

 

"So without further ado, shall we commence the phone call?" the emcee asked, breaking the moment between the two.

 

Changmin reached out and held Yunho's hand, squeezing it in comfort as Yunho in a quick breath of air at the emcee's question.

 

"Begin it then. No point dragging it further." Yunho spoke, willing his heart to stop racing. He might appear calm on the outside but inside, he was a complete nervous wreck.

 

Changmin nodded at Yunho's statement. Prying the phone gently from Yunho's hand which was gripping it tight, Changmin pressed the numbers on the phone, dread filling him with every single push. Silence descended upon them and neither spoke a single word as the dial tone rang between them. Both stared intently at the phone, stiff in their posture as they waited together for the ominous click that would determine their fate.

 

"Why are you making a conference call? Are you still in that fan meeting?" Junsu's bubbly voice was heard the moment the phone call got through.

 

Yunho chuckled. Junsu did not greet as usual, a habit that had not changed since the past. It was as though they had returned to the old times. It was as though everything was fine once more. The familiarity of Junsu's behavior assuaged Yunho's fears. Perhaps not everyone had changed in that span of time they were separated? Perhaps there was still hope for them yet?

 

Yunho laughed as Junsu continued questioning, not giving Changmin a chance to explain his reason for the phone call. Memories assaulted his mind at the sight of Changmin's exasperated expression, remembering that he had once felt that way a few years ago. Just like that, Yunho was dragged back to the past, reliving a memory during a time when they were still five.

 

"Yunho hyung! What have you been doing for your Nagoya promotion? Have you been doing any promoting at all? You and Jaejoong hyung are like bunnies going at it I swear. So how's Nagoya? Is it pretty? I've always wanted to return there because of the food." Junsu had uttered, his infamous dolphin voice heard over a distance.

 

"Juns-" Yunho spoke before he was rudely interrupted by Junsu who seemed to have not heard him at all. Sighing, Yunho held the phone at a distance as Junsu continued ranting on. Once Junsu started, he could hardly be stopped. It was best to let him talk it all out.

 

"You're so lucky you get to eat there man!" Junsu continued speaking, taking Yunho's silence as a sign that he was listening, "By the way, is Jaejoong hyung there with you? Can I talk to Jaejoong hyung too? Wait a minute. Why are you so quiet? Don't tell me you both are.. Oh no! Have I disturbed something I'm not supposed to? I'm hanging up now then. Bye bye!"

 

Junsu hung up before Yunho could say another word. 

 

"Sometimes I wonder, does his mouth never tire?" Yunho mused, snaking an arm around Jaejoong's waist and pulling him closer while snapping his phone shut, "Surely it is inhuman to be able to talk so much in one single breath?"

 

Jaejoong laughed. Pinching Yunho's nose which turned red, Jaejoong blew at it, sending trickles of warm air down Yunho's spine.

 

"Jae, what are you doing?" Yunho grunted, scrunching his nose as he tried to avoid Jaejoong's warm breaths.

 

"Well, I just thought I'll follow through with Junsu's suggestion." Jaejoong whispered, a sly grin on his face as he watched his boyfriend squirmed about. Yunho stared at him. He was still taking in the implication of what Jaejoong was saying when Jaejoong planted a wet kiss directly on his lips.

 

"Wha-" Yunho protested before he was silenced by Jaejoong's kiss.

 

"You're so slow." Jaejoong pouted at his boyfriend who seemed to have frozen as still as a statue, "I guess I'll just have to kiss you more so that it'll get into your head."

 

"Sounds like a perfect plan." Yunho breathed, regaining his senses immediately after a foolish grin made its way to his face. Allowing himself to be commandeered by Jaejoong, they walked up the steps of their hotel together, two pairs of footprints left behind.

 

A tear escaped his eyes as Yunho recalled those memories. It was those times that Yunho yearned for the most. Those times when Jaejoong was still his. Focusing his gaze on the LED board that wrote 윤재, Yunho could not help but sigh. He had reassured everyone that he was going to be fine, but was he really? Jaejoong had not even spoken a single word in the conversation so far and yet he already was overwhelmed by the memories with him. Memories triggered at the sound of Junsu's voice. How was he going to survive this phone call?

 

By controlling your feelings and not get distracted.

 

Yunho returned to the present as his beloved maknae started wriggling his eyebrows trying to catch Yunho's attention. A chuckle made its way up Yunho's throat as Yunho suppressed the urge to laugh at the sight of Changmin's face. Changmin was wriggling his eyebrows up and down madly which made him appeared to have seizures on his face. He looked rather like an idiot in Yunho's opinion, or a clown that belonged to a circus. Still, that had caught his attention so who was he to say that Changmin's face was ridiculous?

 

Changmin glared at Yunho whose face was turning red with contained laughter. Smoothing his eyebrows, he returned to the conversation at hand now that he had successfully caught Yunho's attention. Yunho could only marvel how Changmin could transit so quickly from wriggling his eyebrows to smoothing them as though nothing had occurred. His thoughts, however, were broken by Changmin abruptly. In a brisk voice, Changmin had interrupted Junsu's questioning and went straight to the point:

 

"Is Jaejoong hyung there?"