Chapter 15

The Phone Call

 

After chasing Yoochun and Junsu off to the living room, Changmin turned his back and started heading to the room at the end of the hallway, knowing instinctively that the person he was looking for was in there.

 

"He never changed huh?" Changmin muttered as he glanced at the photographs hung on the walls of the corridor. 

 

Counting the number of photographs on the wall, Changmin smiled to himself as he found a total of thirteen photographs of them in all. Thirteen. An unlucky number to most but a perfect number to his hyung apparently. Changmin snorted. Jaejoong was still as weird as always. Going closer to take a better look at the photographs, he was just admiring a half selca of Jaejoong when he noticed that all the photographs depicted a smiling Jaejoong in it except for one. Stopping at that particular photograph, Changmin took the frame in his hands, eyes staring intently at the picture.

 

It was nothing special. There was not even a human in sight. It was a photograph that one would overlook in the multitudes of photographs hung on the wall, yet Changmin knew it was the most precious of them all. 

 

"A photograph of a ramen shop huh?"

 

Changmin whispered as his fingers touched the photo that was in black and white. He did not have to be the genius that he was to figure out who the photograph was for. He knew. Clutching the photo frame in his hands, Changmin turned it, curious as to the date the photo was taken.

 

He was met with disappointment. There was not a mark nor a smear on the back of the photo frame. There was nothing at all, save for an inscription. Changmin felt his throat tightened as his hands smoothed over the words, his heart weighing down like a ton of rocks.

 

"Always keep the faith."

 

He recited out loud, tears appearing at the side of his eyes. It should come as no surprise to him. He should have known that his hyung would not give up so easily, yet that knowledge struck him hard, and those tears made their way down his face once more.

 

His hands trembled as he placed the photograph back in its original position. 

 

Always keep the faith.

 

Those four words stayed with him as he lifted his leg and kicked the door open, the sound of wood breaking jostling a moping Jaejoong out of his senses. 

 

"Changmin?"

 

He questioned, his pupils dilating in shock, "What are you doing here?"

 

Letting the question breeze by, Changmin bent down and took a broken piece of wood in his hands. He looked up and met Jaejoong's astonished gaze.

 

"What do you think this is?" he questioned, holding out the broken piece of wood to Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong stared at the broken piece of wood before him.

 

"Wood?" he replied after a while, eyes never leaving the broken piece of wood that was now in his hands.

 

"Wood from?"

 

"My door?" Jaejoong replied, eyebrows furrowing to form a frown, "Changmin ah, what are you getting at?"

 

Once again, Changmin pretended he did not hear the question Jaejoong posed. Striding away, Changmin approached the table beside Jaejoong's bed.

 

"And what is this?"

 

Changmin pointed to the circular lamp before him, arms crossed as he waited impatiently for his hyung to answer.

 

"My lamp?"

 

Changmin sighed. Taking the lamp in his hands, Changmin threw it on the floor, the sound of glass breaking echoing throughout the room.

 

"What the hell did you do that for?" Jaejoong stood up, anger rising within him. Standing up, he stormed towards Changmin, his fists flying in rage.

 

Catching each and every one of Jaejoong's punches, Changmin merely stared at Jaejoong disinterestedly as Jaejoong grew angrier and angrier with each punch.

 

"Damn it." Jaejoong hollered, kicking the bed beside him. "Why the are you so strong?"

 

Changmin let out a bitter chuckle.

 

"Cause I'm Shim Changmin, what else?"

 

The weariness he caught in Changmin's voice startled him and Jaejoong looked up in surprise, his eyes meeting Changmin's accusing ones.

 

"What do you-"

 

"You know what I mean." Changmin uttered, cutting off Jaejoong cruelly, "And you know why I'm here."

 

"No, I don't." 

 

Jaejoong broke off the gaze between them.

 

"Other than venting out your anger at the objects in my room, I really have no idea what you are doing here." Jaejoong continued sarcastically, missing the minute flash of anger on Changmin's face.

 

"You don't know." Changmin spoke, an undercurrent of anger beneath his voice, "You say you don't know."

 

Taking in a deep breath, Changmin took another broken piece of wood from the floor.

 

"I'll show you what I mean then."

 

Snatching the broken piece of wood from Jaejoong's hands, Changmin pushed the piece he took from the floor and pieced the two broken pieces together. Glaring at Jaejoong, he waited as Jaejoong merely looked on with confusion.

 

"The broken pieces of wood fit together, I can see that, so what about it?"

 

Changmin gritted his teeth in anger at Jaejoong's reply. His hyung was prolonging the situation. He obviously knew why he was here. Why was he still feigning ignorance?

 

"It means they're fixed. It means they're whole again."

 

Grabbing Jaejoong by his hands, Changmin dragged Jaejoong out of the room, ignoring Jaejoong's protests.

 

"You see this photo?" Changmin pointed towards the only photo that was in black and white as they both stood in the hallway of Jaejoong's house, "You remember why it's here?"

 

"I don't," Jaejoong wrinkled his brows as he stared at the photo before him.

 

"Thanks for reminding me, Changmin. I was just about to take this photo off," Jaejoong continued,  "It looks weird with the rest of the coloured photos huh? I think-"

 

"I think you better shut up before 'one touch' makes its appearance again."

 

Jaejoong turned to Changmin in shock, having caught the anger in his voice.

 

"You're escaping, Yunho hyung is in denial, is anything even new around here anymore?" Changmin shouted, his fist banging the photograph beside him, shattering it into a million pieces.

 

"Changmin." Jaejoong whispered, his mouth wide open as blood started to drip from Changmin's fists, "Your hand-"

 

"Is perfectly fine," Changmin interrupted, "You're the one driving me mad Jaejoong hyung."

 

"Just look at yourself, Jaejoong hyung, you tell me you don't remember what that photograph is doing on the wall yet you are cradling the broken pieces of its frame like it's something precious to you."

 

Jaejoong's eyes widened. Falling to his knees, he dropped the broken pieces of the photo frame he never noticed were in his hands; the pieces that he had caught when the photo frame was smashed by Changmin abruptly.

 

"You tell yourself that you don't love him anymore. You lie. You deceive. Your friends are convinced. Your family trusts you. Heck, the whole world believes you. They believe that Kim ing Jaejoong has finally let go of the love of his life."

 

Kneeling down beside Jaejoong, Changmin took out another photograph from his back pocket.

 

"Yet you cannot lie to yourself. You cannot lie to your heart."

 

Changmin uttered as he took the photograph from the broken frame out, placing it next to the photograph he just took out from his coat.

 

"And this picture... This picture is the irrevocable proof of the truth I just spoke."

 

Jaejoong looked down at the picture the two photographs posed as they blended into each other and fitted perfectly. In the other photograph was a picture of a smiling couple and together, the two photographs depicted a couple smiling outside a ramen shop.

 

"This.." Jaejoong quivered as he took the other photo Changmin took out in his hands, "Where did you get the other photograph?"

 

It was the very first photo that they had taken as a couple. It was a photo that marked the day they pledged to be one. They had asked a passerby to take a photo for them at that time, both choosing the ramen shop as the venue of their first couple shot. The ramen shop that held the most memories for them. Jaejoong closed his eyes as his mind brought him to the memories of that time..

 

"What are you doing Jaejoongie?"

 

Yunho questioned as he watched Jaejoong took his scissors out and cut the photo they had just took into half. Passing the other half of the photo to a bewildered Yunho, Jaejoong smiled as Yunho's brows furrowed in confusion.

 

"Huh?" Yunho uttered as he stared at Jaejoong, "Why did you cut the photo?"

 

Jaejoong laughed at the pout he could see forming on Yunho's face. 

 

"That way, we both can have the same photo at once." he reasoned, ignoring the frown that deepened at his words.

 

"But why not just print the photo out twice?" Yunho replied grumpily as he looked at the broken half in his hands, "Why did you cut our first photo into half? It's all broken up now."

 

"You idiot," Jaejoong whispered as he kissed the pout off Yunho's lips, "That way it wouldn't be the same photo would it?"

 

The scene ended as his mind whisked him back to the present at the sound of footsteps approaching. Flipping the other photograph in his hand, tears welled up in his eyes as he stared at the words written behind, the handwriting ever so familiar to him...

 

Yunho. Jung Yunho. His other half. 

 

He trembled as Changmin's words echoed in his mind.

 

"Yet you cannot lie to yourself.." 

 

His heart lurched as his breaths came quicker, the walls creeping onto him.

 

"You cannot lie to your heart."

 

The first drop of tears fell and hit the photo before him just as the walls shut around him, forcing him to see the truth he was hiding himself from; the pain he was desperately trying to keep himself away from.

 

"What happened here?"

 

Jaejoong heard Junsu shouting through the painful waves of realisation that was coursing through him, wracking his entire body. His tears continuously flowing like a broken tap, not stopping even once.

 

"He remembered." 

 

Jaejoong murmured abruptly, stopping Junsu's tirade of accusations against Changmin. All three men turned to look at Jaejoong as he looked up, gazing at them with tearful eyes.

 

"He remembered." Jaejoong repeated himself at the dumbfounded looks he was receiving. "He remembered it till now."

 

"Remembered what?" Yoochun questioned as he knelt beside Jaejoong and Changmin, "What did he remember?"

 

Shaking his head, Jaejoong pointed to the words scribbled behind the photo he was holding, his tears preventing him from speaking.

 

"Two halves always make a whole?" Yoochun read out in confusion. How could those few words reduce his hyung into tears? He was just about to question Jaejoong when Changmin suddenly let out a breath of air in astonishment.

 

"What is it?" Junsu immediately questioned as he observed Changmin's face dawning with realisation.

 

"The two photos were supposed to be one." Changmin muttered to himself. "They were two halves of a whole..."

 

"So?" Junsu interrupted Changmin anxiously, "So what?"

 

Changmin lifted his head and met Junsu's eyes.

 

"Don't you see it Junsu hyung? That means that both inscriptions are linked!"

 

"I don't get you. How are they linked? It's just 'Always keep the.."

 

Junsu's voice died out just as the meaning of the sentence struck him, rendering him speechless.

 

Always keep the faith. Two halves always make a whole.

 

"Besides," Jaejoong murmured as he finally lifted his lips away from Yunho's, leaving Yunho gasping for air, "the photograph isn't broken. It's just in two halves, and anyone who studied mathematics will know that."

 

"Know what?"

 

Yunho's lips moved towards Jaejoong's, his hands tightening around Jaejoong's waist.

 

"That two halves always make a whole."

 

Jaejoong breathed just as Yunho's lips met his, completing that one perfect kiss.

 

Author's Note: Yay for an update! I've finally won against procrastination LOL! I've gotta admit though, writing this chapter almost took my life. YunJae is way too intense for me man! >< JUST GET BACK TOGETHER ALREADY! :( On a serious note, to all my readers out there, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for sticking with me all this while. :) You readers are the motivation that keeps me going~ Thank you! ^^