Chapter 26

The Phone Call

The air was stale and Yunho's cheeks were flushed as he cut through the crowd, heedless of the people around him. Just when he thought his world had finally settled down, it came crumbling down into pieces again. He did not know what to think or feel. His father had planned this all these while! His father actually approved of his relationship with Jaejoong. His father truly did not mind that he was gay!

 

 

His father loved him and that was something Yunho found difficulty in accepting.

 

 

Stepping out of the church entrance, Yunho took a deep breath in. In all honesty, he would like to pretend that the conversation he had just eavesdropped on did not happen. He would give anything to return everything to how it was supposed to be. In the natural order of the universe, his father hated Jaejoong and hated him cause he was gay. It was the way things were supposed to be. His father could not just change his opinion like that. How could that count? What was he supposed to feel now? All the misunderstandings and misguided feelings between the father and the son stemmed from Yunho's desire to be recognised by his father for who he is. Now that this was taken out from the equation, how was he to justify all the mean and hurtful words he had been saying to his father?

 

 

How was he to forgive himself if the only reason he had to forgive was taken away from him so harshly?

 

 

Walking down the street which led him to a park, Yunho remained completely absorbed in his thoughts as he moved forward, his head lowered and facing the ground. He wanted to run back to the chapel and question his mother on what he just heard. He wanted to scream at her. He wanted to destroy everything he saw. How could they keep it from him? How could his mother help his father deceive him? Did he not deserve the truth? Did they deem him too weak to accept reality? How could they do that to him?

 

 

The wind blew by, ruffling the loose strands of his fringe and blinding his vision momentarily. Brushing the loose fringe away from his face, Yunho looked up from the ground he was previously staring at. He was greeted with a sight of a father and his son who were playing together in the playground next to him. The wind carried their laughter, the joy undeniable on their faces. Just then, the father lifted his son up and hoisted the son on his shoulder.

 

 

"Someday, you'll be as old as me," the father whispered as he smiled to his child, "and at that time, it'll be your turn to carry me up on your shoulder."

 

 

The son laughed, not knowing the importance of the statement his father had just made. Yet, the father appeared not to be bothered by the son's ignorance. He merely moved on, still proudly carrying his son on his shoulder as they walked till they became nothing but two distant dots in Yunho's vision.

 

 

It was just an ordinary sight; a scene that could be seen everywhere daily. Yet, it brought undeniable tears to Yunho's eyes. It touched him and Yunho did not even know why. Wiping the tears away, he walked to the now vacant playground and sat on the swing, closing his eyes as he did so.

 

 

Why did I cry?

 

 

Yunho questioned himself in his mind.

 

 

Is it because that father and son duo reminded me of Appa and me? Or is it because I know I can't do that with Appa again?

 

 

"After all, I don't have a father with me any more."

 

 

Swaying the swing back and forth, Yunho repeated the rocking motion as he mumbled to himself, his mind roaming freely as he opened his eyes and stared into the nothingness before him.

 

 

"Yunho do you truly think your father will fault you for not being there?"

 

 

A flashback of his mother speaking to him at the hospital appeared in his mind. 

 

 

"Your father didn't ask you to make that promise because he was ashamed of you. He asked you to make that promise because that was the only way he felt could protect the family if some thing were to arise."

 

 

"Yunho, do you still think your father will blame you for not being there?"

 

 

"Why not?" Yunho reasoned in the silence of his mind, "I disappointed him. I left him alone when he needed me the most and it was all over a stupid argument. How can I be fit to be called his son? I failed him terribly and now I'll never get a chance to make it right again."

 

 

"You are just like your father Yunho yah, stubborn as a mule."

 

 

"No. I'm not being stubborn," Yunho protested, "I'm stating the truth. I'm doing the right thing."

 

 

"No, Yunho! This is not right. You know what you did is wrong."

 

 

9 year old Yunho's eyes widened, "But Appa, I didn't mean to. The boy bullied Jihyo first. I was just trying to protect her! I didn't mean to break his nose."

 

 

His father's eyebrows furrowed deeper, "Regardless of the reasons, you should never have used violence, not at any cost. We sent you to Hapkido lessons for you to become stronger not for you to learn to use violence to solve all your problems. I'm really disappointed in you, Yunho. I thought you knew better."

 

 

At his father's words, Yunho's tears freely flowed down his cheeks and he lowered his head in shame.

 

 

"I'm sorry Appa," he mumbled to the ground he was standing on, "I won't do it again. I'm sorry for making you disappointed in me and I'm sorry for breaking the bully's nose."

 

 

Seeing his son's tears, Yunho's father softened his eyes and lowered himself to Yunho's height, "I'm glad you realised the error of your ways. Now, stop crying. It's unbecoming of you! Remember, a real man never sheds his tears unless he's really heartbroken! Pick yourself up and march on, Yunho. There's no time for dilly dally."

 

 

His father's command is Yunho's will. Immediately after Yunho's father uttered, Yunho wiped his tears away and stood up, walking to the exit of the room. He was just about to reach the door when he abruptly paused in his step.

 

 

"But Appa, what if someday I forget how to pick myself up after I fall?" he whispered to the door, his hand trembling on the doorknob, "What if someday I disappoint you so much you don't wanna care about me anymore?"

 

 

There was utter silence as Yunho awaited his father's reply in mixed fear and excitement. Five minutes passed and yet, there was still no answer. It seemed like his father was never going to say a word. Sighing in disappointment, Yunho turned the doorknob and exit the room, closing the door behind him. He should have known his father would not reply to his question. He had expected too much. His father would never entertain what he deemed as 'sentimental nonsense'. Just as Yunho was about to approach the hallway, a miracle happened; he heard his father's answer. Yunho's father had spoken the instant the door of the room had shut.

 

 

"Doesn't matter. I'm always here for you."

 

 

Yunho smiled, humming to himself as he walked out of the room. 

 

 

"Appa, I love you too."

 

 

The flashback ended and Yunho was snapped back into reality. He did not know why he recalled that particular memory in this moment or how his mind knew exactly what to show him but he was not going to question it. He only knew one thing: It was because of the flashback that the confusion cleared in his mind. That was sufficient reason to him. Now, his perspectives had shifted back into place and Yunho was grateful for the new-found clarity. He had finally figured it all out. Smiling genuinely, Yunho wiped away the tear tracks on his cheeks and whipped his hand phone out of his pocket.

 

 

"Umma," he whispered into the phone the moment his mother picked up the call, "Thank you for everything that you've done. I love you..."

 

 

~*~

 

 

Perhaps it was due to the foreboding feeling in his chest, Changmin pondered, or perhaps it was the gut feeling in him that told him that something was amiss. Either way, Changmin could not shake this uneasy feeling off. He felt like he had missed out on something. All his senses were tingling and warning him of the error he had supposedly made and his senses had never let him down before. The question was just this, what had he missed out as he spoke with Yunho's mother about Yunho's father? He was sure he did not omit any information so where was this negative feeling coming from? Or was this just him being his own eccentric self as always? Heading towards the door, Changmin was about to walk through the doorway when an object caught his eye and he paused in his step. Crouching down, Changmin took the object in his hands, the sense of uneasiness increasing with each movement he made.

 

 

It was a small metal band. Changmin observed. It was an ordinary ring. All this secrecy and bad feelings he was experiencing was for nothing but the ring in his hand. Standing to his feet, Changmin held the ring in his hands as he laughed, the bitter chuckles echoing down the hallway he was in.

 

 

An ordinary ring? He smiled bitterly. How could the ring in his hands be ordinary? Turning the ring in his hands, he looked at the inscription within. Even without the words "YJ" written on the metal band, he would have already known that the value of this accessory was not cheap. It might have been a plain metal ring, but it was still a ring made of pure silver and that was not something that you would come across often in South Korea.

 

 

Besides, it could be no coincidence that the size of said ring is exactly the size of Yunho's ring finger. Even if Changmin did not wish to believe that his hyung had eavesdropped on the conversation earlier, the evidence indicated otherwise and Changmin was not someone who ignored evidence, especially when the evidence was presented right in front of him.

 

 

Sighing once more, Changmin clutched the ring tight in his hands, his mind going on overdrive as he played back the conversation he had with Yunho's mother in his head. Had he said anything that could have offended his hyung? Had he said any words that could cause any misunderstandings between Yunho hyung and his deceased father? Had he made it worse by his attempts to help?

 

 

Had he screwed it all up?

 

 

Getting abruptly to his feet, Changmin strode away, the uneasy feeling in his chest increasing in intensity, the ring secured safely in his hand. He could not believe himself. He had screwed it up, did he? He always said that he wanted to help shoulder his hyung's burden. He always said that he wanted to assist Yunho hyung in whatever he do. He wanted to be independent. He wanted to be someone Yunho hyung could rely on. Yet, he screwed up the one thing in life that he wanted so much. He let his hyung down when he needed him the most. Changmin held back a scream in his throat. What was the purpose of their duo anyway? Was it not supposed to be a relationship of equal status? Was it not partnership? It might not have started out as such but it was meant to be one in the end right? They were partners, were they not? If that was the case, then why? Changmin clenched his fists as the tears streamed down his face. If it was meant to be a partnership, then why did Changmin feel like he was the worst jerk alive? Why did Changmin feel like he had let his precious partner down?

 

 

Picking up his pace of speed, Changmin frantically wiped away the tears on his face, refusing to surrender to the wave of sadness that had suddenly overcame him. It was frustrating. It was so infuriating it threatened to rip the hairs off Changmin's head. He still could not understand. No. He could not comprehend. Why was it that every time he tried to help his hyung, he only succeeded in making things worse? Why could he not make his hyung happy for a change? Why?

 

 

He started all this, did he not? If it was not for him starting the conversation, Yunho's mother would never have spoken of Yunho's father or the plot he had conceived to bring Yunho hyung back together with Jaejoong hyung. If it was not for him, Yunho hyung would never have to know the painful and cruel truth behind his fateful meeting with Jaejoong or the truth behind his father's actions. If it was not for him, Yunho would never have to suffer the pain of breaking up with Jaejoong again. After all, he had forced his hyung to call Jaejoong hyung that one time right? During their fan-meeting in China, he had blatantly ignored the pain evident in his hyung's eyes and selfishly requested for another conference phone call for the five of them. He had caused all this pain to his hyung, the hyung he never wanted to let down, the hyung whom he always relied on. How could he do this to the one man who had stood by him despite it all?

 

 

"Damn it," Changmin cursed violently, "Damn it, damn it, damn it!"

 

 

"Damn it." he whispered, slumping onto the ground as he did so. He had reached the end of the corridor but Yunho hyung was still no where in sight. It was as though he was never here in the first place. It was as though he was gone and was never going to come back. Leaning against the wall, Changmin gritted his teeth, trying to stop the tears in his eyes from falling. He would stop crying. He would not give in. He did not have time for tears right now. If Yunho hyung was no where to be found, then only one conclusion could be made: His hyung left the church compound amidst his father's funeral. The shocking revelation behind his father's actions must have been too much for him to handle.

 

 

Changmin laughed, a mixture of chuckles and bitter tears, "They call me Tensai Changmin, but the truth is, I'm just another pathetic human being out there."

 

 

The tears continued to flow, obscuring Changmin's vision despite his refusal to cry. It was no use. Everything was hopeless. It was just like before. Nothing changed. Nothing ever did. He could not protect the one he loved the most; the one he swore to care for eternity. He could not protect the love they shared. He could not do anything helpful. He could not break free from his cowardly and pathetic self. He was trapped.

 

 

"Hyung," Changmin whispered under his breath, tucking his knees to his chest, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything. It's all my fault. Everything is my mistake."

 

 

I will admit my wrongs, Yunho hyung, so please, don't leave me. I promise not to do it again. I still w want to rely on you from hereof so please, don't ever leave my side.

 


Yunho hyung...

 


I'm sorry.

 


Yun-

 


"You're really an idiot, Changmin ah. What are you doing alone with yourself?"

 

 

Y-Yunho hyung?

 

 

Changmin whirled his head up in surprise, staring straight into Yunho's twinkling eyes. How was it possible? Did he not leave the church? What was he doing here? And why was he looking at him with eyes filled with love, care and concern? What exactly was going on down here?

 

 

As though Yunho was amused by Changmin's astonishment, the ends of Yunho's lips curved into a smile as he gently brushed away the tears on Changmin's face.

 

 

"Pabo Changmin ah," he whispered as he extended a hand to lift Changmin up from the floor, "I never blamed you for anything so please stop blaming yourself okay?"

 

 

"H-hyung." Changmin uttered disbelievingly. Was Yunho hyung psychic? How could Yunho hyung read his thoughts so easily? Or was he blatantly displaying his emotions for all to see? Why was he getting more confused by the minute?

 

 

"Yes," Yunho smiled cheekily at Changmin, "from the last time I remembered, I am still your hyung."

 

 

"Y-you, y-you."

 

 

"Enough with stuttering, Changmin ah, we have things to do here, you know!" Yunho as Changmin stood next to him still as a statue, far too gone in shock to hear what Yunho had to say.

 

 

Wait.

 

 

What?

 

 

"Things?" Changmin repeated questioningly after Yunho's words.

 

 

"Yes, things," Yunho replied determinedly, staring at the end of the corridor ahead, "Now that we're back together, don't you think it's time to get back to work? We don't have time to waste after all."

 

 

"Yunho hyung..." Changmin whispered under his breath, his eyes welling up with tears. Could the 'work' that Yunho hyung is implying be the 'work' he was desperately wishing for? Could this truly be the realisation of their life-long dreams ever since the lawsuit was over? Was this even remotely possible? Could he even allow that faint glimmer of hope in his heart to blossom again?

 

 

"It's a leader's order." Yunho interrupted Changmin with a wink before he dragged the maknae along, laughing out loud as the maknae struggled to catch up to his fast speed of running as they raced down the corridor, "And all members are to listen to their leader, you know."

 

 

You know.

 

 

U Know.

 

 

U Know Yunho.

 

 

U Know Yunho leader of Dong Bang Shin Ki.

 

 

Yes, Changmin thought to himself as he looked at the excited figure that was pulling him along the corridor hall. Yes, it was exactly what he thought it was. The Gods of the East had risen again. Changmin laughed to himself in victory. The five stars had reunited and along with the impending reunion had seen the return of the confident and self-assured Yunho hyung he had missed the most.

 

 

Yes, U Know Yunho was back and so was Dong Bang Shin Ki. 

 

 

Changmin grinned wickedly to himself, "And of course that means the return of Voldemin too."

 

 

With that, Changmin began devising a new plot to maim torture his hyungs who were now two blissful pairs of gay lovers awaiting the Lord Voldemin's destruction. The pair continued walking in silence with Changmin lagging behind Yunho as his mind concentrated on formulating plans and devising new awkward situations to place his beloved hyungs in. As a result, he missed the smirk present on Yunho's face as Yunho led the way ahead. his strides broad and quick. Thus, it came as a surprise to Changmin who was just fantasizing the scene of Yunho hyung worshipping his smelly feet when Yunho abruptly stopped, startling Changmin out of his reverie.

 

 

"What's going on here?" Changmin questioned suspiciously upon noticing that Yunho had stopped directly in front of a door, "Why are we stopping here?"

 

 

"Well," Yunho replied cheekily, "Since you've been such a great matchmaker between Jae and me these recent weeks. I thought I'll try to give being a matchmaker a shot too."

 

 

"W-what?"

 

 

Yunho smiled at Changmin's utter disbelief, the crinkles reaching his eyes to form two crescent moons.

 

 

"Remember, don't throw love away because of your pride, okay?" Yunho uttered softly as he pat Changmin's shoulder gently, "Let love become the pride you always wanted."

 

 

With that, Yunho left, leaving Changmin standing as still as a statue with his eyes locked on the closed door ahead. 

 

 

Yes, Changmin thought to himself as he stood outside the door like an idiot, perhaps the foreboding feeling in his chest and his tingling senses were trying to warning him about this.

 

 

Author's Note: Sorry for the super duper late update. :( I'm trying to tie up the loose ends in this fic that's why it's making chapter production super slow. Sorry sorry and sorry about that. Hope you enjoyed this chapter nonetheless and thanks for the support always. Love you guys~ :)