Chapter 18

The Phone Call

 

"You know, Jaejoong ah," Yunho's mother soothed as she rubbed Jaejoong's back gently, "Yunho never stopped loving you too."

 

Jaejoong stopped sniffing abruptly, and instantly, Yunho's mother knew he was listening. Silence loomed over the five of them as Yunho's mother bit her lips, her thoughts awry as she thought of what she was going to reveal. Tightening her grip on Jaejoong, the love of her son, her resolve was renewed.

 

"I am sure that the four of you are wondering why my son didn't join in the lawsuit back then," she spoke, addressing all four members, "and today I am going to tell you four the reason. It is not because I am trying to bring you five back as a group. It is not because I want you to be friends with my son once again. That is for you to decide. I will not make the decision for you. I am here simply because I believe that all four of you need closure from this, and the only way for closure to occur is for you to know the truth."

 

Looking towards Yoochun, she smiled.

 

"Especially you, Yoochun ah, you must be wondering how Yunho could disappoint you so, am I right?"

 

Yoochun's eyes widened in shock. Had he really been feeling this way all these years? Yoochun wanted to shake his head in denial. He wanted to refute that claim, yet he could not open his mouth to speak those words of truth. Blame. Had he really blamed Yunho for the lawsuit? Yoochun shook his head. He could not, could he? Had he really pushed all the fault to Yunho? Was he really such a cruel person? Still, was it not his fault? After all, was it not Yunho who did not agree to sue SMent? Was it not Yunho the one who led to the break up of the band? Was it not Yunho who broke Jaejoong's heart so?

 

Slowly, Yoochun found himself back in the circle of bitterness, sinking deeper and deeper into the everlasting hole. Blinking his eyes, he was surprised to meet Junsu's worried eyes. Unknowingly, while Yoochun was overwhelmed with the bitterness inside him, Junsu had plastered his face onto his, looking at him with concern. Gazing into Junsu's eyes, Yoochun could feel the tears forming in his eyes and the sense of bitterness banished to the corners of his heart. Junsu. His sweet angel, Junsu. His other half, Junsu. Kim Junsu. 

 

Junsu.

 

Without saying a word, Yoochun hugged Junsu abruptly, burying his head into Junsu's chest.

 

It was Junsu.

 

The same Junsu he had accused of being in denial a few hours ago. Yet, was that not what he was doing now?

 

Being in denial.

 

Yoochun soaked Junsu's shirt with his tears. He wanted so badly to say that he did not blame Yunho. He did not want to admit to himself that he was such a cruel person, yet he could not help the surge of bitterness at the thought of his beloved hyung. Subconsciously, he had been blaming Yunho for the whole mess they were in for years. After all, was it not Yunho who promised them that they would be together forever as a band? Was it not Yunho who promised them that if they ever disbanded, he would drag every member back and form the band Dong Bang Shin Ki back in the end?

 

Yoochun had been so disappointed then. Yunho's refusal to sue had been a wound inflicted on his chest, and his trust for Yunho was completely smashed into pieces. He had thought that Yunho would never let them go, that even if he never joined them in suing SMent, it was because he could not at that time, but he was going to. So, Yoochun waited. One month. Two months. Three months. Yoochun had patiently waited. Still, there were no signs of Yunho and Changmin suing SMent.

 

Yoochun had stared blankly at his computer screen back then, before he took a hammer and shattered his computer into bits. The disappointment and anger was so overwhelming then that he just had to remove the evidence before him. It was the day that Yoochun no longer considered himself as a member of Dong Bang Shin Ki. It was also the day that he discarded his name as Micky Yoochun and chose to call himself Park Yoochun instead. No longer was he the president of YunJae club. Park Yoochun was born on that very day.

 

Yet, the very reason that Yunho's mother was here suggested otherwise. Her presence signaled that his hyung had a reason for leaving and that was something that Yoochun could not cope with. He had agreed that Yunho and Jaejoong should get back together, but that was because he thought it would be better for Jaejoong, besides it being pure pity on Yunho's behalf. Yet, it was not the case was it not? Yunho, his beloved hyung would not have done this without a reason, how could he have forgotten that?

 

"I-I thought I didn't, but I never knew I did."

 

Yoochun mumbled, breaking the tense silence that enveloped them. Sensing the moisture on his shirt, Junsu gently circled his arms around Yoochun's back, rubbing it in circles. Humming under his breath, he pressed a kiss on Yoochun's forehead before pulling Yoochun towards him, tightening the hug between them.

 

Jaejoong gently removed Yunho's mother's arms from him. Walking towards Yoochun, he wedged himself between Yoochun and Changmin, placing his hands on Yoochun's shoulder. Neither said a word yet the feelings were nothing but clear. Lifting his head out of Junsu's chest, Yoochun turned towards Jaejoong, his tear-streaked face revealed.

 

"It's alright." Jaejoong assured, wiping off Yoochun's tears, "No one blames you for anything."

 

Yoochun could not say a word. Junsu's hands were tightened in his, Jaejoong was smiling at him in reassurance and Changmin was glaring at him for his idiocy. His maknae, the guy who would never comfort anyone unless his life depended on it. Smiling, he glared half-hardheartedly back at Changmin, the warmth engulfing him and chasing the guilt and shame away.

 

"Yah, Yoochun hyung," Changmin chided, "What right do you have in glaring back at me? It's not even the beginning of the story and you're already sobbing like a baby! Act like a hyung for once and stop being like Junsu hyung over there."

 

"Yah! What's wrong with being me?" Junsu rebutted, upset at being dragged into the conversation.

 

Yoochun chuckled.

 

"Nothing's wrong with you honey, you're perfectly fine."

 

Changmin cringed in disgust. Turning back to Yunho's mother, he ignored Yoochun's praise towards Junsu, goosebumps settling on his arms as he scooted to the end of the sofa, leaving a huge gap between him and Jaejoong. Seeing Changmin's actions, Yoochun could not help but chuckle at the sight of Changmin's face; his loud laughter reverberating throughout the whole room. Soon, another set of laughter joined in, and not before long, the whole room was vibrating as all three of them laughed at Changmin, finding delight in his disgust.

 

Yunho's mother smiled at the sight before her. They did not know it but unconsciously they had fallen back into the roles they once were when they were still a band together. Changmin played the evil maknae, Jaejoong played the caring mother, Junsu played the young and innocent man and Yoochun let his greasiness showed through once more. They had all fallen back into one another like they had never left before, like they were still together as a band.

 

Still, they lacked one more person, and she was determined to fill in the empty piece of puzzle. Clearing , she drew attention to herself, observing the four parties as they blushed in shame, having forgotten that an elder was present in their midst.

 

Smile still in place, Yunho's mother took cookie from the plate before her and began to speak.

 

"It's nice to see that you are not crying anymore, Yoochun ah. Still, I did not ask that question to make you cry. You see, Yoochun ah, the only reason why those emotions festered within you is because you had never addressed them before right?"

 

Yoochun nodded his head dumbly, confused as to where Yunho's mother was going with this.

 

"That is why today, I am going to address them," Yunho's mother spoke, her smile before gone, "I think it's time those feelings are gone, don't you?"

 

Silence descended upon the four of them as they held their ears open, listening intently to what Yunho's mother had to say.

 

"Remember the story I said I was going to tell earlier?" Yunho's mother questioned as she shifted her gaze to the rest of the members. The members nodded their head, silently willing her to speak further.

 

"When Yunho announced that he was not going to join the lawsuit against SMent, I could tell that it was the most difficult decision in his life. Yet, I didn't know why he did so. It was obvious that he did not want to stay in a place where Jaejoong was not."

 

Turning to Jaejoong, she rested her soft gaze on the man she could tell was about to cry once more.

 

"The day he told us that you were his other half was the day that I knew my son was irrevocably in love with a man. It was the day that I knew, I was never going to get a daughter-in-law, that the 'Jung' name would never continue unless you both adopted kids."

 

"Yunho's father could not accept that fact, and Yunho knew it. That's why he never brought you to meet him, Jaejoong ah. He knew what his father would do. He knew what his father would say. Yet my son, my precious son who had always looked up to his father, who knew that what he was about to do would upset his father, went ahead and did with it anyway."

 

Clutching Jaejoong's hands in hers, she smiled.

 

"Jaejoong ah, every thing that he has done now has you in mind. Every action, every movement, it's all because he loves you so much, so much so that he forgot the only thing that he had to do was to stay by your side."

 

"W-what do you mean, Eomonim?" Yoochun asked, dread settling in his heart.

 

Yunho's mother looked away from his curious gaze, tears welling in her eyes.

 

"Yunho's father, he could not accept the fact that our son is gay, so, he made our son choose..."

 

"N-no." Junsu whispered, horror evident in his tonality, "He could have possibly made him choose between his family and Jaejoong hyung. That's just plain cruel. He could not.. No.."

 

"Yes, yes he did," Yunho's mother affirmed as she turned to Jaejoong whose mouth had widened in shock, "And do you know what Yunho said?"

 

Jaejoong shook his head gently, not wanting to believe that Yunho would choose him over his family.

 

"He said neither," Yunho's mother chuckled bitterly, "He said if his father was so adamant on separating him and his lover, then he had only one choice."

 

"..And that was?" Junsu questioned fearfully as he gazed up, meeting Yunho's mother's sorrowful eyes.

 

"Death." she uttered, the single word echoing throughout the entire room, "He would rather die."

 

Changmin dropped the cookie he was holding in his hands, the conversation giving him a sense of deja vu.

 

"Because he would rather die then let any side go. Because he loved Jaejoong hyung so much." he continued, his mind transporting him back to the memories of those times.

 

Yunho's mother turned to him in surprise. "Changmin ah.."

 

"I remember now," Changmin whispered, tears streaming down his face, "the night when the lawsuit was announced, Yunho hyung said the exact same thing."

 

"Y-Yunho hyung.." Junsu choked on his tears, leaning his head on Yoochun's shoulder for comfort.

 

"He said that on one of his drunken rants, that he would rather die than let any party go, that this was the only way he knew that could protect Jaejoong hyung, even if it meant destroying the band he loved so much, even if it meant destroying all of their dreams..."

 

Changmin's voice trailed off, his tears preventing him from speaking further.

 

Yunho's mother smiled.

 

"Yes, my son did that didn't he? Perhaps that was why his father stopped protesting in the end. He knew my son's love for Jaejoong shii is too great, too formidable."

 

Taking in a deep breath, Yunho's mother observed the crying faces of all four members before she delivered the very last blow.

 

"He stopped protesting on one condition, and that was that Yunho had to make sure that whatever he did from now on, it could not harm the family in any way. That he could go along loving Jaejoong as long as that meant that the family was safe."

 

"And that is the exact reason Yunho isn't in the lawsuit with you three," she proclaimed as she wiped the tears that were leaking out of her eyes, "our family was in debt to SMent. We could not afford to fight with SMent. Yunho's father would lose his business, Yunho's sister would be scorned and rejected by every school, and our family would be left with no income. SMent can take away everything from us in a single second and they sure won't hesitate to do it if Yunho joined in the lawsuit in suing them."

 

"S-so because of that promise.. Because of t-that.." Yoochun stopped, his guilt evident in his eyes.

 

"Yes, yes," she confirmed, her soft whisper penetrating through the heavy silence of the room, "that's the reason why he backed out last minute from the lawsuit. He had to do that to protect our family. He did not do that because he stopped loving you, Jaejoong ah. He did that because he loved you so much he knew the only way he could protect you was by letting you go."

 

Silence descended upon the five of them after Yunho's mother uttered the last sentence, their minds still whirling from the truth that was just into their faces.

 

"Eomonim."

 

The sudden whisper broke the silence, startling all four occupants in the room.

 

"Yes?" Yunho's mother looked towards Jaejoong, surprised that he was the one who spoken.

 

".. I- I just want to ask something."

 

The silence stretched on as Jaejoong scrunched his eyebrows, struggling to speak the words that refused to leave his mouth.

 

Yunho's mother smiled warmly.

 

"No. No he didn't."

 

Jaejoong's eyes widened in surprise eliciting a chuckle from Yunho's mother.

 

"Jaejoong ah, the moment you realised you still love my son, I knew that question was burning at the back of your mind. In your heart, you knew that Yunho would not do such a thing, yet you could not help but hesitate did you?"

 

Jaejoong bit his lips, looking down in shame.

 

"And it isn't your fault. It is not any one of your fault. If it is, it's probably mine. I could have prevented my husband from forcing such a promise onto him after all, but I didn't."

 

"That's why, Jaejoong ah, it's not too late."

 

Placing a letter in his hands, Yunho's mother turned away, walking to the exit of the house.

 

"Your mother told me to give that to you, Jaejoong shii. She was the one who let me into the house and I am grateful to her for it."

 

"Umma was here just now?" Jaejoong questioned.

 

"She was worried about you, but after hearing Changmin breaking everything in your house in rage, she presumed the same thing that I did and left the house without any worry."

 

"Huh? What did Eomonim presume?" Changmin asked, confusion evident in his eyes.

 

"She presumed that if there was only one person who could get Jaejoong out of his room, the person had to be Jung Yunho."

 

"B-but it was Changmin who-"

 

Junsu's voice died down as he saw Jaejoong's eyes looking back, staring at the broken halves of the photograph that was still lying on the floor.

 

Without a word, all three members got up as they embraced Jaejoong, blocking his vision of the photograph. No member said a thing as they cried together, hugging their hyung who was crying the most out of all.

 

It was obvious from the start.

 

Jung Yunho had never stopped loving Kim Jaejoong, and he had never stopped loving Dong Bang Shin Ki.

 

It was a simple truth that was forgotten amidst all the lies and pretense. It was the belief they lost whilst struggling through the maze of obstacles life seemed to bring. Yet at that very moment, it was clear to them:

 

They had never stopped being part of Dong Bang Shin Ki. They were never separated from one another. They were always together as one, cause they had never stopped loving one another.

 

"What's wrong?" Yunho questioned as Junsu walked towards him, worry in his eyes. 

 

Without saying a thing, Junsu lifted his finger and pointed to the figure behind him, indicating the source of the problem. Following Junsu's fingers, Yunho observed a figure slumped on the window sill, a lit cigarette in his hands. Patting Junsu's shoulder to assure him that he would take care of it, Yunho headed towards the figure, never noticing the slight smile on Junsu's face.

 

Stopping just behind his back, Yunho embraced the figure from behind, startling him out of his reverie. Jaejoong let out a gasp of surprise as Yunho nuzzled against his neck, the rough stubble rubbing onto his exposed skin, effectively sending chills down his spine.

 

"Wh-"

 

"at's wrong?" Yunho continued the sentence for him, laying his head on Jaejoong's shoulder as he sat on the window sill, pulling Jaejoong onto his lap. Jaejoong sighed, a puff of air escaped his lips as they condensed on the cool window sill, forming a pale white circle.

 

"It's just.. The way we are right now, the happiness we're feeling just being the five of us.." his soft voice amplified through the silence of the night, "What if it disappears one day?"

 

"What if it all goes away?"

 

Jaejoong questioned, turning to Yunho, his melancholic gaze haunted with shadows from the past.

 

Yunho chuckled, his laughter rumbling in his chest.

 

"Pabo yah, why will such happiness disappear?"

 

He whispered just as he kissed Jaejoong on the lips, tugging him closer to his chest.

 

"Can't you see it?"

 

He spoke as he laid yet another kiss on Jaejoong's bruised lips.

 

"Can't you see that nothing can ever separate us?"

 

Jaejoong frowned.

 

"But what if-"

 

"Then, I'll bring you all back. I'll drag every single member back regardless of any obstacles I meet." Yunho interrupted determinedly.

 

"Don't you trust me?"

 

Jaejoong smiled.

 

"Yes," he nodded his head in agreement, "Of course I trust you. I'm just being silly."

 

Jaejoong laughed at himself.

 

"We will be together till the end. I don't know why I'm even doubting... this."

 

Jaejoong uttered the last syllable just as Yunho signed the promise he made with a kiss, touching his lips with his.

 

"Cause you're silly, but you're the only silly Jaejoong I love the most."

 

Author's Note: YAY! Finally an update. Omg. This chapter was re written three times, can you believe it? I got so pissed because both drafts for this chapter were so poorly written I wanted to just bang my head against the wall and rip the paper into bits. This chapter is not exactly well-written either, but it's the combination of both drafts I've written, haha. :) Hope you enjoyed it though. :X I still can't believe it took so much out of me to write this chapter. Btw, Jaejoong did really ask Yunho what will happen if the happiness of them being five disappeared one day. Link is here. Watch it and go emoshinki with me together :(  Damn. Now I really feel like crying.. *signs off* :(