Chapter 3

The Phone Call

 

"So Changmin shii, the instructions are simple."

 

The emcee had spoke after he finally managed to quieten the audience that went wild when Junsu's name fell off Changmin's lips.

 

"All you have to do is to pick up the phone in front of you that already has Junsu shii's handphone number in it and call him."

 

Changmin glanced at the phone before him. Suddenly, he was not sure if he made the right choice. God knows Junsu hated prank calls and he was sure that that fact had not changed since their separation. Taking a deep breath, Changmin prepared himself for the inevitable.

 

"Alright," Changmin uttered to himself, "Here goes nothing." 

 

He punched in Junsu's name on the phone with shaky hands, heart thundering with each letter keyed in. Immediately, Junsu's number appeared on the screen:

 

877973521

 

Changmin mentally committed it to his memory before clicking the dial button, pressing the phone to his ears.

 

"Wait."

 

Changmin turned. "Is there a problem emcee shii?"

 

"It's supposed to be on speaker mode so that the fans can hear it too." the emcee spoke, surprised that Changmin did not do as instructed.

 

Changmin laughed. The emcee seriously thought that he was going to broadcast his first conversation with his hyung to his fans. It was so unbelievable and ridiculous that it was amusing.

 

"Emcee shii, that wasn't in the rules." Changmin said, internally smirking.

 

"But-" the emcee protested.

 

"Emcee shii, you said that the fans needed to hear the person I was instructed to call say 'I love you' to me. There was nothing mentioned about putting the phone on speaker mode throughout the whole duration of the call. Besides, all the fans need to hear is Junsu hyung saying 'I love you' to me right? Be rest assured then that when Junsu hyung says that to me, I'll put it on speaker mode." Changmin interrupted, silencing the emcee effectively.

 

The stadium fell into silence after that statement and the fans gripped their seats in tension as they scrutinized Changmin, trying to decipher his poker face.

 

You will never get me.

 

Changmin grinned smugly as he plastered a smile on his face. 

 

Tensai Changmin: 2

 

Cassiopeia: 1

 

Changmin gloated.

 

Now that that's out of the way, all that's left now is to call Junsu hyung with the phone I'm given.

 

He sighed.

 

Junsu hyung, you will forgive me, would you?

 

He clenched his fists in worry as his mind worked overdrive thinking of all the bad possibilities that could happen between them because of this dreaded phone call. Would Junsu hyung be happy to pick up his call or would Junsu hyung be mad? Would he scream at Changmin and tell him to piss off or did Junsu hyung miss him as much as he did?  Would this lead to a bigger misunderstanding between them or would this be a stepping stone to repairing the relationship between them? The dial tone seemed to continue on endlessly as Changmin's thoughts went wild, prolonging Changmin's agony with it.

 

Why aren't you picking up my call?

 

Changmin sighed in frustration as the dial tone continued ringing in his ear. He was just about to end the call in resignation when the dial tone abruptly stopped.

 

"Hello? Who is this?"

 

Changmin dropped the phone in his hand at the sound of that familiar voice.

 

It really was Junsu hyung. That dolphin-like voice could only be him! It really was him. Kim Jun Su. Former member of TVXQ. Changmin had assumed that this whole fan event was just a farce to trick the fans into believing that he and Yunho were still on good relations with the other three but never had he expected it to be real. Despite what their manager had said, Changmin still found it difficult to believe that the company would allow them to call JYJ that easily.

 

Yet it's really his voice.

 

Changmin closed his mouth that gaped wide open. Wiping the sweat off his hands, he picked up the phone on the floor and composed himself.

 

"Hello Junsu hyung, it's Changmin here. How have you been?" Changmin questioned, gripping the phone in his hand tight. His kunckles had already turned white due to the magnitude of the force used in gripping the inanimate object.

 

Silence greeted him. There was no way for Changmin to tell if Junsu was upset or elated. All Changmin could hear was some shuffling on the other end before he heard a cry of pain and something akin to glass shattered, amplifying the crash through the phone's speakers. The line went dead soon after and the continuous beep echoed in Changmin's ears, signaling the end of the phone call.

 

Junsu had hung up on him.