Chapter 22

The Phone Call

 

Yunho stared out of the window as he watched the buildings whizzed by, the city lights brightening up the dark sky like the stars that shone on them from above. Leaning his head against the window, he emitted a small sigh. Stars. Cassiopeia. It was a five star constellation that marked the start of Dong Bang Shin Ki.  It was a star constellation that was a representative of them, be it in the past or in the present. It referred to all five members, and no matter how much Yunho wanted to deny it, he knew that Cassiopeia was there for them all, DBSK or JYJ. It supported all five of them and was the only link between them after the lawsuit occurred.

 

"Are you done sighing?" Jaejoong remarked in snark, "Don't tell me you just jumped in front of a moving car just to enter my car and sigh?"

 

Yunho gulped down the bout of saliva that was rising up his throat, all retorts instantly bitten back. Jaejoong was deliberately antagonizing him. He wanted Yunho to spill the beans. Jaejoong wanted him to reject him. Yunho understood that. Their relationship was broken to the point that it was beyond salvation and Jaejoong was sick of it all. Yet, he could not ignore the nagging at the back of his mind. If Jaejoong really did not want to give their relationship a chance, if Jaejoong really did not want to reconcile, then why had he stopped the car? Granted, he was obstructing the path of Jaejoong's car, still, Jaejoong knew as well as he did that if he had honked at Yunho, he would have moved out of the way. Jaejoong knew that, yet he had stopped his vehicle and let Yunho in, giving him another chance. It was a chance he did not deserve.

 

Yunho blinked away the well of tears that were rapidly forming in his eyes. The night sky seemed forlorn as the stars dimmed, echoing his desperation miles away. Yunho clenched his fists tight as he kept his vision away from the man beside him. He had given in to his instincts and stopped Jaejoong from leaving. Yet, Yunho knew it was for his own sake that he did so. He did not even spare a thought for Jaejoong's feelings once. Thinking back, Yunho realised that his father was right about him. Perhaps he was the more selfish out of the pair.

 

"You claim you love him yet you can't even let him go, even though you know it's better for him out there. Your selfishness is what that is binding him to the company and you can't even see past yourself to see that. Yunho, tell me, do you really love Jaejoong?"

 

Instantly, the words flashed in his mind and the regret overwhelmed him, leaving him gasping for air. Even now, he was still the selfish brat he was back then. He never changed. He remembered retorting defiantly then, stating that his father should not presume to know what Jaejoong was feeling. He claimed that he understood Jaejoong because they were two halves of a whole. Yet now that he thought about it, Yunho realised he was wrong. He had not understood Jaejoong's feelings back then. He had ignored them. In the past, it was always about his feelings. It was always about him making the decisions for their relationships. He never let Jaejoong participate in anything. It was always his ways, and his opinions that mattered. It had always been him.


"Yunho, tell me, do you really love Jaejoong?"

 

The words echoed in his mind, tormenting him as conflicting emotions overwhelmed him. He knew what he had to do. He could no longer look to his own needs. He had to spare Jaejoong a thought too. It was time he stopped being selfish. Yunho smiled grimly. In that instant, he had gained his resolve and had made up his mind. Turning his gaze away from the scenery outside, he looked straight at the man beside him, forcing himself to see the extent of hurt and damage he had done to his beloved.

 

"You're right."

 

The sudden whisper broke the silence between them and the melancholy in Yunho's tone shocked Jaejoong, causing him to turn towards him briefly.

 

"You're right, Jaejoong. You really don't need me in your life at all." Yunho continued, "I had been selfish all this while, only thinking about my feelings and my opinions, never taking your thoughts into consideration. I forced my feelings onto you. I manipulated you. I hid away from you. I lied. Trust was supposed to the basic foundation of any relationship and I tore that foundation apart with my own hands, sending our relationship into ruins."

 

"Your opinions, your feelings, everything about you should have mattered towards me first. Yet, it didn't. I presumed to know what you were feeling. I forced my expectations onto you. You're absolutely right Jae. I'm still as arrogant as I was back then. I still keep thinking that you will love me forever. I still am stuck on my ideals, believing your love for me to be more than my love for you. I should have known. The truth is, I need you more than you need me."

 

"I'm sorry Jaejoong. I'm more sorry than I ever can be. I've always thought that I'm correct but now, even I can see the wrong that I have done. I let my love for you blind me, Jae. It blinded me so much I could not see the love that you had for me, and you don't know how sorry I am about that, Jae."

 

Sighing, Yunho unclenched his fists, suppressing his tears with all his might as he uttered the words he knew would mark the end of their relationship.

 

"Sometimes," he whispered in the silence that had descended upon the pair, "the only way to move on from the past is if we let go of the present and allow all the feelings to die between us. Sometimes, it is the only way out. This equation is imbalanced after all. The hurt of the past far outweighs the joy of the present. Perhaps that was why I didn't say anything back then in the restaurant. The ramen restaurant might have been the place that held the most memories for us but it's nothing if we choose to let those memories go. That's why.."

 

Yunho's voice trailed off as he swallowed, the burn in his eyes intensifying as he lost the battle of dominance, two streams of tears flowing down his face.

 

"Sayonara." he whispered before exiting the car that had come to a stop. The journey to Jaejoong's house had ended and so had the possibilities of a reconciliation in their relationship. This was the ending that they had come to, the fairytale turning into a bedtime nightmare. Yunho smiled bitterly. The door opened with a single push as he stepped a foot out, leaving a silent and contemplating Jaejoong behind him. They were over.

 

"There you go again," Jaejoong's bitter voice stopping Yunho in his tracks, "You said you'll stop presuming to know my feelings and yet you just did what you said you wouldn't."

 

"Jae-"

 

"No. You shut up and let me talk for once." Jaejoong commanded, pulling Yunho back into the car and slamming the door after him. "This has gone on for too long. I don't know why I even put up with you sometimes."

 

Yunho was about to file another protest before Jaejoong's lips landed on his, locking them in an intimate kiss. Placing his hands on Jaejoong's chest, Yunho tried to push Jaejoong away but no matter how hard he tried, Jaejoong would not budge. Instead, Jaejoong leaned closer to him, forcing his tongue against Yunho's clenched teeth.

 

Let me in. Let me in.

 

Jaejoong's tongue seemed to be saying as it ran across Yunho's teeth, scourging for openings to enter Yunho's mouth. However, Yunho's teeth remained tightly shut. Still, Jaejoong would not take no for an answer. Ripping the buttons on Yunho's shirt apart, Jaejoong delved into the soft skin beneath, running his fingers on Yunho's hip bone and caressing it lightly. Yunho shivered and let out a low moan, instantly granting Jaejoong's tongue entry. Jaejoong smirked in Yunho's mouth. Yunho was no match for him. What he wanted, he always got.

 

Finally, the urgent need to breathe separated the pair from each other as Jaejoong released Yunho's bruised lips from his own, laughing at the dazed look on Yunho's face.

 

"But why?" Yunho whispered, lifting his fingers to touch his lips, his confusion apparent, "I don't get it."

 

"Don't you remember what I've done to you?" he questioned, "How can you still love me after all that's happened and.."

 

Yunho's voice trailed off towards the end, his tears preventing him from speaking much further. Jaejoong frowned as he laid his hands on top of Yunho's, gently enticing him to look at him.

 

"Yunho," he spoke, "for all that you've realized in the past few minutes, have not the possibility of our needs being similar ever strike you?"

 

Yunho let out a gasp of air, his heart beating rapidly in response, "What do you mean?"

 

"I mean that I need you as much you do." Jaejoong said as he embraced the man next to him as he held him tight, allowing him to cry softly on his shoulder. "That I love you as much as you do."

 

 Minutes passed but the pair remained locked in the embrace, neither wanting to let the other go.

 

"I just don't understand." Yunho sniffled, burying his head into Jaejoong's chest, "How can you still love me?"

 

Jaejoong sighed, "That's why I said, don't presume my feelings."

 

"But-"

 

"You apologised, Yunho. What's there not to forgive?"

 

"But I hurt you so much how can you-"

 

Yunho's protests were silenced as Jaejoong laid yet another kiss on him. It was not the passionate kiss that they engaged in earlier. It was not a battle of dominance nor a clash of fire and water.  Instead, it was like a breeze blowing gently by. It was like a soothing balm on a deep inflicted wound, washing all the hurt and pain away.

 

"It was never about the hurt I experienced, Yun. I blamed you for the lack of closure. Never for the pain."

 

"Jae-" Yunho choked on his tears as the grip on his waist tightened, "You-"

 

"Yes? What about me?"

 

Yunho looked up, meeting Jaejoong's eyes which was staring at him intensely. Any words of protests were swallowed and in that instant, Yunho finally understood what Jaejoong was feeling. He did not hate Yunho for anything, neither did he blame him. The only mistake that Jaejoong could not forgive was Yunho leaving him without an explanation. He did not care that Yunho neglected his feelings. He did not care that Yunho ignored him. He loved Yunho so much more than that. He loved him too much to care. If Jaejoong, the victim of the case, did not continue to pursue the matter, what right did Yunho, the culprit have in insisting on his ground? He would only insult Jaejoong's magnanimosity by doing so. The ends of his mouth curled into a slight smile. Once again, he had lost to Jaejoong.

 

"I'm gonna stuff you with food when we enter your house later. You're too skinny to be healthy." Yunho continued after the slight bout of hesitation, the joy of Jaejoong's forgiveness starting to seep into his face.

 

Jaejoong huffed, insulted by Yunho's remark on his looks. "And who said I was inviting you in?"

 

Yunho laughed.

 

"I'm inviting myself, Jae ah, and you know you can't resist the charm of Jung Yunho anyway."

 

"Don't presume to know my feelings."

 

Jaejoong immediately retorted, causing Yunho to burst into fits of laughter and to miss the fond look that crossed Jaejoong's face for a millisecond.

 

"You taught me the exit to the hidden memories," Jaejoong thought to himself as the moonlight reflected off Yunho's face, casting half of it in shadows as Yunho continued laughing, oblivious to Jaejoong's thoughts.

 

 "You taught me that the only way to move on was to remember the past and hold on."

 

Jaejoong returned the smile just as Yunho started to look worried at Jaejoong's lack of response.

 

"Thank you." Jaejoong whispered out loud, ignoring the puzzled look on Yunho's face as he placed his lips on Yunho's once more.

 

Author's Note: And finally the YJ reunion. :D WEEEEEEEEE~ Thanks to my betas once again. Check them out if you haven't:  caxiAhtic_ and fairytael. (And yes, this story is approaching its end. :D)