Chapter 5

The Phone Call

 

Yunho watched from the sidelines as Changmin revealed his true genuine smile to Cassiopeia, tears forming in his eyes. He never thought Changmin looked more handsome till this moment. Deep down, Yunho knew. He knew that even though Changmin did not say anything, Changmin still missed his hyungs, especially the hyung who irritated him the most: Kim Junsu.

 

At least he got Junsu and Yoochun back now.

 

Yunho smiled bitterly. He knew what he was supposed to do. He knew who he was supposed to call. His brain knew, but his heart did not. His heart stopped beating the moment it heard that they were going to call JYJ. Instinct told him that he was going to be forced to call Jaejoong. Still, he had harbored a small glimmer of hope when Changmin was asked to make a choice among the JYJ members to call that Changmin would choose Jaejoong. His hopes crashed. Changmin had chosen Junsu.

 

Cassiopeia was not only the one shocked. Yunho himself was astounded as well. Why Junsu? He could not seem to figure it out. Changmin knew that Junsu was second in line for short temper besides Yunho. Yet why did he choose Junsu?

 

Cause Changmin is not a coward like you, Yunho. He faces it straight on and tackles the most problematic of it all.

 

Yunho shook his head. It was amazing how he was seen as the most brave of them all when actually, he was scared less just at the prospect of talking to Jaejoong. He knew how Jaejoong felt. He knew all too well. He knew Jaejoong did not mean to cause all those hurt to him when he left SM. He knew Jaejoong was concerned for him. He knew Jaejoong loved him. He knew it all too well. That was the thing. 

 

He knew Jaejoong well. He knew all of the emotions of Jaejoong. He knew what would tick him off. He knew what would please him. He knew if Jaejoong was mad, happy or sad. He could read him like a book, just like how Jaejoong could read him as well. They were a couple, and they were madly in love. Yunho would have done anything for Jaejoong really, even if it meant braving through fire and water, Yunho would have done it.

 

But you could not leave the company with him.

 

Jaejoong just had to ask the thing that Yunho could not give. If it was only for them, Yunho would have left the company long ago but it didn't just involved them. It included other people too. People like his family, his manager, their staff.. Who would get scolded if Dong Bang Shin Ki, the greatest income for SM, left the company? Who would be blamed? Yunho could not leave them here to take the brunt of it, especially not their manager. Their manager was part of their success too. Their manager was their family. He could not leave their manager in the lurch could he?

 

And you still got that promise, that promise you made to your father...

 

He never told Jaejoong about it. He did not know how to even begin. Besides, it would only cause Jaejoong pain, why would he want to hurt Jaejoong then?  

 

Yet you refused his phone calls...

 

He did not know why he refused Jaejoong's calls either. Yes, SM had forbade them to pick up JYJ calls, but why since when did he abide by SM's laws anyway? SM had clearly said no dating between trainees and yet? He just dated his own band member, breaking every rule that SM had stated about dating.

 

But you did it at a huge price.

 

Yunho shook his head. He did not want to think about it. Their love was pure. Their love was brilliant. It was like a firework, bright while it shone, lighting up even the darkest sky, and gone as swiftly, vanishing into thin air. Still, Yunho did not regret a thing. He rather be lonely than watch Jaejoong suffer. A great price, but for Jaejoong, it was worth it. Everything was worth it for him.

 

"Yunho, are you alright?"

 

Yunho nodded, a smile hanging at his lips. His manager continued gazing at him in worry despite his numerous quiet assurances. Yunho's smile deepened. His manager was really a worrywart was he? Hovering over both Changmin and him like a mother, what ever would they do without him?

 

"Hyung, stop worrying, I'm fine." Yunho spoke assertively.

 

Their manager sighed. 

 

"Yunho yah, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry you have to call Jaejoong. I tried talking to the management but.."

 

Their manager squeezed his eyes to prevent tears from running down.

 

"It's okay hyung. It'll be fine. I'll be fine. I'll just have to get Jaejoongie to say that and the phone call would end. It'll be swift and quick."

 

"It's not right Yunho yah. You're right to be angry just now. You're right to be angry at them. The company, they have no right to do this. They have no right to toy with your relationship. They.. It's not fair Yunho yah. It's not fair. It's not fair that you have to face this along with your father's-"

 

"I'm okay, hyung." Yunho smiled, interrupting their manager, "I'll be fine. I'm Jung Yunho after all."

 

With that, Yunho walked up the stage, shrills and screams coming from Cassiopeia as they caught sight of Yunho, anticipating what would happen next. Yunho gave them a wave before sitting next to Changmin, holding out a hand to him.

 

"What took you so long hyung?" Changmin questioned, that bright smile still on his face.

 

Yunho simply smiled at him. Changmin stared back in shock, smile slipping off his face. Yunho's eyes were red, as though he had been crying the whole time Changmin was making that phone call with Junsu and Yoochun. It was so obvious Changmin could not help but wonder what happened between their manager and Yunho back there.

 

"Hyung," Changmin uttered disbelievingly.

 

"Don't you dare ask me if I'm alright okay?" Yunho replied, warm smile still on his face, "Our manager already asked me that thrice."

 

"But-"

 

"I'm fine." Yunho spoke, looking towards the sea of red, "I'll be fine."

 

Following Yunho's gaze, Changmin realised that Yunho was looking towards a particular fan who was holding up her LED board that was flashing like Christmas lights. On the board were written these two words:

 

윤재

 

Author's Note: Sorry for the long wait. The YunJae phone call will be coming up shortly. I promise okay? :D Sorry for prolonging it. I just had to get Yunho's thoughts out. :D Thanks so much for the continued support! ^^