Chapter 16

The Phone Call

 

Silence hung in the air as neither said a word. The revelation before them stunning them into immobility; their faces a frozen expression of shock.

 

"I don't get it." Yoochun spoke after a while, breaking the silence amongst them, "Why would he break up with you then? If he remembered, why.."

 

His voice died out at the sight of Jaejoong's tears. 

 

"Hyung," Yoochun whispered, pulling Jaejoong over into a hug, "why are you crying?"

 

Jaejoong shook his head in reply, tears soaking Yoochun's coat. Sighing, Yoochun tightened his embrace on his hyung. He had always thought of Yunho being the strong one and Jaejoong being the emotionless one but now, his hyung who had often been thought of as 'cold' was sobbing in his arms like a little kid. He was as fragile as glass, easily broken with a single sweep of a breeze. Yoochun never felt so afraid before. He could feel Jaejoong's bones through all the clothes he was wearing. It was as though Jaejoong had not eaten for days. It was as though he was embracing a zombie. A living zombie. How had he not noticed it through all the promotions and advertorials they had done together?

 

"It's like the moment you're not together, you fall apart. Broken into pieces." Yoochun murmured as he gazed fondly at the person in his arms, "Hyung, you both need to get back together again."

 

"Is it even that simple?" Junsu retorted, the shock he received earlier slowly dissipating from his face, "If it's that easy Yunho hyung and Jaejoong hyung would have been together ages ago isn't it?"

 

"In what way is it not easy?" 

 

Changmin questioned as he glanced at the sobbing hyung in Yoochun's arms. Standing up, he faced Junsu, eyes glaring at him in irritation.

 

"Were you and Yoochun hyung getting together easy? Were Yunho hyung dating Jaejoong hyung back then considered easy? Was being Dong Bang Shin Ki even easy?"

  

Changmin paced, his hands trembling as he fought for control, reigning the anger back in.

 

"Since when was everything easy Junsu hyung? If everything was easy, if everything was smooth sailing without a single obstacle in sight, then what's the point of fighting for your love? What's the point of happiness? What's the freaking point? Hyung, I thought you had realised this when Yoochun hyung and you got together but evidently you did not."

 

"Did not what?" Junsu shouted, angered that Changmin would belittle him, "Do I look like an idiot to you?"

 

"Currently? Right now? Yes." Changmin replied, his voice a condescending tone, "You're always afraid of this and afraid of that. You realised Yoochun hyung's feelings nine years ago yet you were afraid to act on it. You knew Yunho hyung and Jaejoong hyung love each other yet you pretended to not know anything cause you were afraid. You are afraid. You hurt their feelings back then but you didn't care did you? All because of your stinking fear!"

 

"Don't talk to me like you're any better! Don't. Just don't. What gives you the right to lecture me anyway? What gives you the freaking right? Are you not afraid then? Are you not afraid of loving or being loved? Of failure, and disappointment? Are you never afraid? What gives you the right to scold me like you've never been afraid before? What gives you the bloody right? Besides I'm not afraid anymore. I'm just asking because I don't think that's a solution! How can being together with your love be THE solution?"

 

"When not being together with your love is THE problem!" Changmin retorted, "Are you truly such an idiot?"

 

"Enough!" Yoochun hollered, stopping Junsu's punch just in time, "What the hell is wrong with the both of you? Jaejoong hyung is crying here yet you two are still arguing? Wake up to your senses! And Changmin, Junsu is your hyung! Shouldn't you show him that least bout of respect?"

 

Changmin and Junsu looked away, the tension in the air omnipresent.

 

"If you don't mind, I'll like to say something?"

 

The four members lifted their heads up to search for the souce of interruption. All four men were shocked as their eyes met with Yunho's mother's eyes who stood there, gazing at them with amusement. 

 

"Eomonim"

 

Jaejoong's face turned pale as he caught sight of the woman before him, old fears and insecurities rushing back, threatening to overwhelm him. The four members got up immediately as they bowed in greeting, Jaejoong trembling as he did so.

 

"You four boys," Yunho's mother shook her head, "It's no wonder Yunho used to complain that it was a tough job being a leader."

 

"He did?" Changmin asked. He had always thought that Yunho was proud of Dong Bang Shin Ki, proud of being their leader. Was he wrong in assuming so?

 

"It's not what you're thinking, Changmin ah," Yunho's mother chuckled, "His exact words were: Umma. This band that we're in now. It's a handful. Everyone's so noisy, so determined in getting their ways but it's cool since it seems like we will make excellent memories together. I can't wait. Jaejoong hyung's here with me in the same band too!"

 

"..h-He said that?" Jaejoong whispered, surprised that Yunho would mention him to his mother back then. Was he even close with Yunho in the past? Jaejoong frowned as he tried to recall memories years ago, the past evading him like a shadow in the presence of light.

 

Yunho's mother laughed. "Oh Jaejoong, you didn't know how smitten he was with you back then."

 

Then why?

 

Jaejoong silently questioned as he looked into Yunho's mother's eyes.

 

Why leave me?

 

Yunho's mother sighed. 

 

"I cannot answer that question, as much as I want to. The only person who knows that answer is Yunho himself, isn't it?"

 

Yunho's mother spoke as she placed a hand on Jaejoong's shoulder.

 

"And the only way to know that answer is to find him and ask him, right?"

 

She whispered before turning around, back facing all four members.

 

"Come, let's shift to the living room. I have prepared snacks for you. We have much to talk." she proclaimed as she walked down the aisle, heading towards the living room.

 

"Talk?" Junsu blurted out before he could control himself. Instantly, Yunho's mother stopped in her tracks. Junsu's eyes widened as he bowed in apology for his rudeness, his face a flaming red.

 

"I had thought that Changmin already told you but it seems not  to be so," Yunho's mother spoke after a while as she continued walking towards the living room, "It doesn't matter. I'm about to start my story after all."

 

"Excuse me for my rudeness, but what do you mean exactly?"

 

Yunho's mother turned to face Yoochun, a smile tugging on her lips as she sat on the sofa in the living room.

 

"Yoochun ah," she spoke, her eyes gazing intently at Jaejoong even though she was speaking to Yoochun, "haven't you ever wondered why Yunho didn't join you in the lawsuit against SM entertainment?"

 

Author's Note: I'm so so sorry for making Junsu quarrel with Changmin again. :( They just tick each other off I guess. Anyway, hoped you enjoy this update. :( It's not really well-written though. Gomenasai~ *bows*