Chapter 6

The Phone Call

 

Yunho smiled at that fan who was holding the LED board. There were people who still believed in their love after all. Yunho could not help but feel amazed. They did not talk for a few years now. They did not even appear on the same variety shows or had any form of interaction, how could these fans then still keep the faith in their love? How could they believe in something he could not even believe anymore?

 

Love is painful. It hurt too much sometimes. He did not mind the hushed whispers. He did not mind being together in secret. It was thrilling. It gave him a sense of adrenaline, but that was only in the beginning. Now, it all felt like a burden to him. Their love, so pure, yet filled with so many obstacles, lies and prejudices. How could he protect Jaejoong like this? If all he could bring to Jaejoong was hurt, what use could his love do?

 

"Yunho hyung," Changmin whispered softly, bringing Yunho to his senses. 

 

Yunho turned his glance away to look at Changmin instead. Worry filled Changmin's eyes, and Yunho knew Changmin was dreading this phone call as much as he was. 

 

"Don't worry." Yunho mouthed, "It'll be fine."

 

Changmin merely nodded, unconvinced. If he was honest with himself, Yunho was not feeling very positive at the moment either, but he had to be strong had he? He was their leader. Leaders do not break down. Leaders support their team members no matter what. He had already failed Yoochun, Junsu and Jaejoong. Especially Jaejoong. He could not fail Changmin now.

 

Giving what he hoped was a reassuring smile to Changmin, Yunho punched in the numbers he knew by heart. He did not even need to see the name 'Jaejoong' appear on the phone screen to know he got the numbers correct. He knew he was right. He could still remember the messages Jaejoong sent him after the lawsuit. He memorized all of them, reading them every night before he went to sleep. They were his comfort, his source of strength.

 

Since when has Jaejoong been anything but that to him?

 

Yunho knew. He knew what to expect from Jaejoong. He knew he would probably get yelled at or either be faced with a quiet fuming Jaejoong. Still, that did not stop his heart from picking up its pace as the dial tone was heard echoing throughout the stadium. The emcee had specifically requested for the phone call to be broadcasted this time. Changmin had objected. Yunho, on the other hand, had agreed to the emcee's request, causing Changmin's eyes to widen like saucer plates. 

 

Changmin was worried about him, Yunho could tell. He knew that the conversation was not going to be pleasant. He also knew that if he had refused the emcee, the emcee would not do a thing to him and his phone call with Jaejoong would have been private. Instead, he agreed to make their conversation public, shocking everyone in the stadium.

 

I wonder what will break your faith. Will a phone call that clearly demonstrates the dispute between me and him finally make you lose your faith in us? Will you then give up on your fantasy of us?

 

Yunho mused as he watched their fans tightening their hold on their LED boards and pictures. The dial tone continued echoing throughout the stadium. Just like that, Yunho knew that Jaejoong was hesitating to pick the phone call up. He had probably heard from Yoochun and Junsu about Changmin's phone call and knew what to expect. Perhaps he was as reluctant about this as Yunho? Perhaps he did not want to speak to Yunho anymore. Either way, Yunho could not tell for sure until Jaejoong picked up his call.

 

Click!

 

Yunho stared at the phone in front of him. Jaejoong had picked up his call. The dial tone had vanished and was replaced by silence instead. Yunho did not know what to say. Blood rushed to his face and Yunho could see black spots in his vision. He was going to hyperventilate any moment. Taking deep breaths, Yunho calmed his racing heart down and stared at the phone screen once more.

 

Yes. It was what he had seen just now. Jaejoong did really pick up his call. Yunho opened his mouth hesitantly but to his horror, no voice came out. It was as though there was some thing blocking his throat causing him to be unable to articulate a single word. Sweat started to trickle down his sides and Yunho could feel his heart picking up its pace once more.

 

"I know why you called."

 

Jaejoong broke the silence between them. Yunho's heart leaped a beat.

 

"J-jae." Yunho whispered, voice trembling along with his hands. Jaejoong's tone was so cold, so monotonous. Did he really not love him at all? Had he push Jaejoong over his limit? Was he the cause of Jaejoong's transformation from a warm and caring person to an unfeeling stranger?

 

"I refuse to say it," Jaejoong continued as though Yunho had not said a thing, "but since there is no other way out,"

 

Yunho's breath hitched.

 

"I love you."

 

Then, the phone line disconnected. Yunho wiped the sweat off his palms. Smiling to his fans who looked like they were about to cry any moment, Yunho tried to show like he was unaffected by it all, as though Jaejoong's words did not hurt him at all.

 

"So emcee-shii, that concludes this fan event right?" Yunho spoke, turning towards the emcee who looked shell-shocked.

 

"Y-yes." The emcee replied, taken aback by Yunho's unfazed reaction at Jaejoong's coldness.

 

"Good. Now what's next?" Yunho said, his voice laced with over enthusiasm, "I can't wait for the rest of the events."

 

"Well, the rest are-" the emcee started to explain before Changmin's sudden shout startled him.

 

"Wait." Changmin said abruptly, "Can we do all that again?"

 

"What?" 

 

Both the emcee and Yunho stared at Changmin, bewildered.

 

"Let's do that phone call session again," Changmin uttered, silencing Yunho who was about to protest.

 

"Let's do it with the five of us this time."

 

"Changmin." Yunho warned immediately, "What exactly are you suggesting?"

 

 Do you even know what you are doing?

 

Yunho was glaring at him, unable to believe that his maknae would put him through all that pain again.

 

"That we have a public conference call with all three of them now right in front of Cassiopeia." Changmin elaborated, staring back defiantly at Yunho.

 

"That's a great idea Changmin shii," the emcee agreed before asking Cassiopeia jokingly, "Does Cassiopeia agree with this?"

 

Instantly, the stadium was in an uproar as fans nodded their heads like crazy and waved their red light sticks madly.

 

Changmin cocked his eye brows at Yunho.

 

Are you still going to refuse now?

 

Yunho glared at him before turning away, back facing Changmin completely.

 

Changmin sighed.

 

I'm sorry hyung, but you and Jaejoong hyung can't run away forever.

 

Changmin clenched his fists as he watched the emcee failed in calming the wild audience down.

 

I can't let you both hurt each other anymore and the only way to do this is to force you and Jaejoong hyung to talk to each other again.

 

A sigh escaped his lips once more as his mind recalled Yunho's pained expression when Jaejoong ended the phone call with his 'confession' of love. He was putting his hyung through all that pain again. Was it going to be worth it?

 

Instantly, the emcee's question flashed in his mind again.

 

If your life were to end now, what will be the thing you most regret not doing?

 

Yunho had replied calmly back then but Changmin knew all that was just a facade. Yunho acting like Jaejoong did not matter to him, Yunho acting like Jaejoong's words did not hurt him, Yunho acting like he did not love Jaejoong anymore.. All this was just an act and Changmin was tired of it.

 

Narrowing his eyes in determination, he made up his mind, doubts leaving him altogether.

 

I'm sorry Yunho hyung, but I really can't let you both go on hating each other. I have to do it, even if it means putting you through all that again.

 

"Gomei," Changmin whispered softly so that Yunho could hear him, "But you know I have to do this."

 

Yunho merely stood still, ignoring Changmin's apology, his words replaying in his ears like a broken tape recorder.

 

"So Yunho shii, If your life were to end now, what will be the thing you most regret not doing?" The emcee questioned, voice booming throughout the stadium.

 

"Not telling the people I love that I love them."

 

He had replied honestly back then without a slightest hesitation. Still, did he really want to do this? Closing his eyes, Yunho swallowed back the tears that were forming in them. No. He did not want to do this but he did not have a choice. He was going to have to go through this no matter what. Changmin was not going to let him back out of this. He was trapped.

 

"Gomei."

 

Changmin whispered once more, heart tightening at the sight of Yunho's pain. Yunho gave no indication that he heard him. Blocking out Changmin's voice, Yunho pretended he was somewhere else, somewhere far far away from the stadium. In that place, he was happy. He was free. He was not in pain.

 

If that's the case, I rather be in denial till the end...