Chapter 1

The Phone Call

 

如果你的人生即将结束,你最后悔没做的事会是什么?

 

"Eh?" Yunho blanked as he saw the question. "Why is it in Chinese?"

 

The emcee chuckled. "Yunho-shii, you are now in China you do know that right?"

 

Yunho blinked. China? He was in China? Glancing around the stadium, he then realized that Chinese characters were everywhere and banners of 东方神起 were held proudly by fans smiling brightly at him.

 

"Oh." Yunho grinned in embarrassment. "Yes, I do realize that now."

 

Changmin sighed internally. When were those days when Yunho hyung was the most dependable of them all? He used to be the one who memorized their schedules weeks before and even recited to them countless times on the day itself. Now look at him! He can barely even remember the fact that he is in China! What had become of him?

 

"So what does the question mean?" Changmin questioned, trying to cover the momentary lapse on Yunho's part and praying to all the deities out there. His hyung better regain his senses quick or he really was going to kill him in the world's shortest record time. 

 

"Oh. I forgot to tell you the translation now did I?" The emcee laughed awkwardly. "Seems like Yunho's forgetfulness is rubbing off me too."

 

Yunho blushed.

 

Good going there Emcee shii, you just reminded them of Yunho hyung's mistake which was something I was trying to make them forget.

 

"Well, it simply means this Yunho shii and Changmin shii," the emcee continued, oblivious to Changmin's dilemma. "If your life were to end now, what will be the thing you most regret not doing?"

 

The stadium quietened down immediately and every fan crossed their fingers and clenched their fists as they waited in suspense for the replies their two idols would give. Would they talk about the other three members? Do they even care about them anymore? What will they say in response to such a question?

 

Changmin pretended to consider for a serious moment before he replied in his cheeky tone.

 

"Not trying out all the food delicacies in the world." Changmin proclaimed in a dramatic voice. "Imagine what a real pity it is that there are so much more tasty food out there in the world that I have not tried."

 

Immediately, the fans broke out into laughter at his reply and the emcee shook his head in amusement. 

 

"Cassiopeia, seems like Minfood is real huh?" The emcee announced to the fans who were screaming and shouting their love and support for Minfood. 

 

Changmin cackled evilly in a corner. Did the fans really think that he was not aware that this question was meant to trick him to talk about them? He is Shim Changmin for goodness sake! The genius of Dong Bang Shin Ki for 10 years and still counting, how would he not know what they were trying to do?

 

"Try harder next time." Changmin grinned as he watched some fans in the crowd sighing in disappointment. "You'll never get me."

 

Cassiopeia: 0

Tensai Changmin: 1

 

"So Yunho shii," 

 

The booming voice of the emcee broke Changmin out of his reverie and Changmin turned to Yunho as the emcee repeated his question from before. Changmin frowned. Surely Yunho hyung would not be so stupid as to fall for the trick? Their manager hyung would really kill him if any more YunJae rumours start popping out again.

 

Why was he still the secret keeper for YunJae anyway? Changmin thought irritably. Shouldn't Yunho-hyung be responsible for his own love and learn to think before he speak? Wasn't he supposed to free from this duty after Jaejoong hyung, Junsu hyung and Yoochun hyung left the company?

 

"That Yunho-hyung better not cause any trouble for me or I'm castrating him." Changmin mumbled viciously under his breath as he tried to send warning signals to Yunho through the ire in his eyes. It was proving extremely inefficient.

 

Entirely oblivious to Changmin's baleful glare, Yunho had paused for a moment before  announcing that dreadful statement:

 

"Not telling the people I love that I love them."

 

In an instant, the audience was in an uproar and many shouts and screams of YunJae were heard all over the stadium. The emcee held up his hand after a while and the stadium quietened once more.

 

"I swear I'm gonna kill him one day." Changmin gritted as he glared once more at his oblivious hyung who seemed to not know what the uproar was about. "He is more trouble than he is worth. Maybe lighting him up on fire than flushing him down the toilet will do just fine."

 

Sensing someone glaring at him with murderous intent, Yunho turned his head around and was shocked to see fire sprouting out of Changmin's eyes. It was pure ire in the maknae's eyes and it had been long since he last saw Changmin this mad. It would have been quite entertaining if the anger was directed at his manager hyung or even the current hosting emcee since Changmin was always rather amusing when he was mad but today he was not delusional enough to lie to himself that the anger was directed at some one else. No. It was to him and him only.

 

, Yunho! What have you done now?

 

Clearing his throat, he tried to avoid Changmin's glare and turned to the kinder looking emcee who looked totally clueless on what was going on. Yunho laughed. He really was a first timer in this business huh? Without prompting, Yunho begin explaining what he meant by his reply.

 

"It's just like you know how sometimes people ignore one another due to some misunderstandings or unspoken feelings among them? Such things happen and before they know it, they stop hanging out around one another.." Yunho elaborated.

 

"Time passes and misunderstandings deepen. Soon, they don't even talk to one another and treat one another like strangers even though they still love one another deeply inside their hearts. Although I try not to be involved in such misunderstandings by speaking my mind straight, it is inevitable that conflicts will arise due to this and as much as I regret them, I cannot prevent them. At such circumstances like this, I will think to myself: The greatest regret in life is not cherishing what you have till you lost what you had. I guess everyone will all experience something like that too at some point in their lives huh?"

 

The emcee nodded his head in agreement. 

 

"I can understand those feelings. It is a pity isn't it? Letting misunderstandings come in the way of friendship.. One day you can be the best of friends and the other day complete strangers, it really is sad."

 

"I guess it is but it's definitely what we have to experience as we go through life." Yunho replied. "As much as I wish I didn't have to go through such painful experiences, it is those painful memories that makes us stronger isn't it?"

 

The emcee nodded once more and the fans at the audience stand all looked at Yunho with teary eyes. Their idols both Yunho and Changmin were suffering and yet there was nothing they could do. As much as they proclaim they love them, they really could do nothing to help them huh? They were entirely powerless.

 

"Yah Yunho hyung, what have you turned this atmosphere into?" Changmin chided as he watched some of the Cassies starting to cry because of what Yunho said. "This is not some third rate soap opera. This is a fan meeting! Aren't fan meetings supposed to be happy?"

 

Changmin directed the last statement at the audience and Cassiopeia began laughing immediately. This is much better. Changmin thought to himself. Despite his cold countenance, Changmin really did not like it when their fans feel sad because of them. They already owe all their success to Cassiopeia, can't Cassiopeia see that? They have already transformed his life and gave him the motivation and passion to sing. Can't they see that he owe all that he is right now all to them?

 

At his side, Yunho smiled proudly at Changmin as he watched how Changmin cheered Cassiopeia up by 'scolding' him. He knew Changmin probably saw it as a double sided opportunity to both 'scold' his hyung and cheer Cassiopeia up. His maknae is just too smart and cunning for his own good. If he did not keep his guard up, Changmin would probably trick him one day without him even knowing that he had been tricked.

 

"So let's move on now to our next segment of the event," The emcee announced after the last dribbles of laughter had faded. "The friend-calling session!"

 

Fans immediately went wild at that statement and it was several minutes later when the audience was finally calm enough for the emcee to read out the instructions.

 

"Alright." The emcee continued in the wake of silence, "As mentioned, now we will have the friend-calling session. In this session, you are required to call one of the idols your fans have picked out for you and get that idol to say "I love you" to you as a reply. Easy to do right? Just call and get them to say I love you. So Changmin shii and Yunho shii, are you ready to see who the fans have picked for you?"

 

Changmin's mouth gaped open in surprise. He was entirely dumbstruck. How was this a friend-calling session if the person you were going to call is some one fans have picked out for you and might just be a complete stranger to you? He shudders to even think of the most probable idol choices that the fans might have picked for him. This was just a whole complete mess!

 

"This is crazy." Changmin whispered to Yunho who was sitting beside him. "What if they pick out some random person we don't even know? Hyung. You've gotta stop this."

 

Yunho merely stared blankly and gave no indication that he had heard him.

 

"Hyung!" Changmin whispered urgently, placing more emphasis on the word than necessary.

 

"Changmin ah, I don't think you need to worry about us not knowing who we are supposed to call." Yunho finally replied after a while.

 

Following Yunho's gaze, Changmin's eyes strayed to the screen and found what he was looking for. His eyes widened in surprise. There on the screen written in huge bright red letters was the word:

 

JYJ.