Chapter 10

The Phone Call

 

"Hello?" Changmin questioned as he walked down the hospital aisle.

 

"Changmin, is that you?" Yoochun replied in his familiar husky voice, startling Changmin.

 

"Yoochun hyung?" Changmin frowned, "I thought I called Junsu hyung's number? Why are you the one-"

 

"Let's not talk about that first. I saw it in the news. Yunho hyung fainted. How is he?" Yoochun interrupted anxiously.

 

"So you still care huh?" Changmin remarked, "Yunho hyung fainted due to exhaustion, which leads me to my purpose of calling you."

 

Yoochun waited as Changmin took a deep breath in before speaking.

 

"How would you feel about bringing Jaejoong hyung and Yunho hyung back together?"

 

Yoochun paused for a moment as he let the words that Changmin spoke sink in.

 

"No."

 

He finally uttered after a while as his mind flashed back to all those times Jaejoong was wasting himself drunk because Yunho could not be bothered to pick up the phone.

 

"No, Changmin. It's one thing for them to reconcile their friendship. It's another to resume their previous relationship." Yoochun uttered, mind determined.

 

He would not let Yunho hyung hurt Jaejoong hyung like that anymore. Jaejoong hyung had suffered enough.

 

"Yoochun hyung," Changmin uttered, deciding to switch the tactics he used, "Do you know why Yunho hyung fainted?"

 

Silence was his answer and Changmin took it as a sign that he was listening.

 

"He fainted because he was too exhausted, too exhausted in trying to take care of me and his dying father- No. His dead father and me at the same time."

 

"...dead father?"

 

"Yes. Dead father. Yunho hyung's father passed away today. He died before Yunho hyung could say his final goodbyes to him and it was all because Yunho was at the China fan meet trying to take care of me instead."

 

"His father was dying at that time?" Yoochun whispered in horror, forgetting to ask the reason for Changmin needing Yunho to take care of him.

 

Changmin sighed. 

 

"Yunho hyung's father had a about a week ago. They've put him on a fake respirator since. They didn't want to give up hope. Still, they were given a dead line that if by end of that week Yunho hyung's father did not wake up, the doctors were going to pull the plug due to limited vacancy within the hospital. And it so happened that the day that the doctors were going to pull the plug was the day we returned from China."

 

"Which he missed because he fainted after hearing Jaejoong hyung's words." Yoochun continued, dread settling in his heart.

 

"Yes," Changmin replied now that he had caught Yoochun's attention. 

 

Allowing his voice to drop a tone lower, he continued, "Yoochun hyung, surely you out of all people understand how he feels?"

 

Yoochun closed his eyes; memories buried within him resurfacing once more. He thought back to his father, his father who had raised him up since young, his smiling face as he went. It was as though he was taking an afternoon nap. It was as though he was just sleeping. Yet, it was the face of Death smiling upon him.

 

Why didn't I spend more time with him? Why was I only concerned for myself? Why did I forget that he was aging? Why did I forget that he was not going to be there forever?

 

He could recall questioning himself every single time since the news reached him. He could feel the despair that threatened to overwhelm him as he saw for his own eyes the man whom was always there for him laid down in the casket with flowers surrounding him.  He remembered the side way glances that some people gave him as they attended the funeral of his deceased father.

 

"See?" They would say through their side way glances at him. "That's what you get for being greedy and suing SM. That's what you get for not spending time with your family. What's the point of earning so much money when your family dies anyway? Serves you right you ingrate."

 

He could remember Junsu and Jaejoong being riled up in anger then. He could clearly remember him clenching their hands tight, reminding them to stay calm. Junsu had hurled vulgarities after the funeral service ended, anger bursting all out. He cursed and swore at all the prejudiced people that were present at the funeral service, his face purple with rage. Jaejoong had cried till he was numb and all Yoochun did was to calmly lit a cigeratte as Junsu's string of vulgarities continued echoing around them. 

 

He did not know what to feel then. Was he supposed to be mad at those people? Somehow, Yoochun could not really be bothered about them, for what were their side way glances compared to the self-hatred that was already festering in his heart? How could he get angry at them when the truth was, they had a point in what they were saying?

 

"It's not your fault." Junsu had reassured him when he noticed his silence. "Don't listen to them. It's not your fault."

 

Yoochun nodded his head then, but as the cigarette in his hands went out, he could not help but think that his heart had went with it too.

 

"He is suffering right now," Changmin whispered softly, jarring Yoochun out of his memories, "the suffering you had been through before. Don't tell me you can bear to watch him suffer knowing that that could end with your help?"

 

"You think too highly of me sometimes, Changmin ah," Yoochun chuckled shakily, "Right now all I care about is getting Jaejoong hyung back to his feet and getting rid of his dependency on Yunho. Besides, Jaejoong hyung doesn't know a thing yet."

 

"What?" Changmin blanched. "But he was on the phone was he?"

 

Yoochun laughed, "Jaejoong hyung has an over active imagination and you know it. When you dropped the phone, he had assumed that you had hung up on him. That's why he's been moping in his room ever since, refusing to come out and eat."

 

"But I would never-"

 

"Hang up without saying goodbye. I know Changmin, I know." Yoochun finished the sentence, surprising Changmin with his knowledge of him. 

 

"So you still remember." Changmin stated in a matter of fact.

 

"How could I ever forget? Those were the best memories of my life with the best brothers one could ever have." Yoochun replied, sensing Changmin's bitterness.

 

"So he doesn't know about Yunho hyung fainting?" Changmin questioned, changing the subject before it veered to dangerous territory.

 

"No he doesn't." Yoochun answered, respecting Changmin's decision, "Junsu is with him now, trying to comfort him and get him to eat some food."

 

"Yoochun hyung, I.."

 

"I know," Yoochun returned, "I know you didn't mean to make Jaejoong hyung suffer."

 

"Hyung. It's getting irritating. Stop finishing my sentences for me." Changmin grumbled, causing Yoochun to laugh out loud.

 

"Changmin ah, hyung was just having fun here." Yoochun teased.

 

"Hyung!" Changmin screamed in protest before the familiarity of the situation striked him and tears started to well up in his eyes.

 

"It feels like the old times huh?" Yoochun whispered, breaking the abrupt wake of silence that had descended. "Feels like we're back as one again."

 

"That's why we have to bring them back together." Changmin replied as the tears ran down his face. 

 

"Can't you see?" he questioned as his voice trembled with emotion. "Can't you see we're better off being together with one another again just like the one big family we always were?"

 

"Changmin ah," Yoochun uttered hesitantly, "Yunho hyung made Jaejoong hyung suffered so much.. I just don't think that it'll be good..."

 

"Don't think then." Changmin interrupted, "Don't think about it and just go along with your instincts, Yoochun hyung. Weren't you the one who knew they were in love with each other before they did? Weren't you the one who forced them to confess their feelings before they hurt each other badly? Weren't you the one who taught them how to love? That love transcends all gender, race and religion?"

 

"Did you stop and think then that Yunho hyung and Jaejoong hyung would never work out? Did you stop and think then that Yunho hyung would hurt Jaejoong hyung so they should never get together? Did you even think?"

 

Changmin took a breath in, calming himself down.

 

"You who believed in their love so much, you who supported them from the start.. Why should it change now, President of YunJae club, Park Yoochun shii?"

 

Yoochun in a quick breath as Changmin uttered those fateful words, forcing him to face the identity that he had shoved to the back of his mind since the lawsuit started. 

 

President of YunJae club.

 

Four simple words, yet they invoked such strong feelings within him. Cassiopeia had given him that title back then when they started noticing that he was pushing Jaejoong and Yunho together all the time. It was during their period of denial back then and both parties refused to take any action, driving Yoochun up the wall. Still, he could never forget that beam of happiness on their faces when they finally got together. He had been proud of his identity then. He, Park Yoochun, was the Cupid who brought both of his beloved brothers together. He had been grinning with such happiness then that it was as though he was the one in love, not them.

 

However, it all changed when the lawsuit started. That identity that once filled him with such pride turned to guilt as he watched Jaejoong drank alcohol furiously, can after can, bottle after bottle. What once had been a blessing turned into a curse. Was he right in bringing them together or was he the indirect cause of Jaejoong's suffering? Whichever it was, he no longer knew. Rather than facing it upfront, he shrank away from the crisis, pushing the identity to the back of his mind and hiding away the tendrils of guilt as he did so. That method had worked throughout the years, until Changmin had reminded him of it once more. 

 

In truth, Yoochun was not a fool. He knew what Changmin was trying to get at. He was not an idiot. The only release for Jaejoong's and Yunho's suffering was for both of them to be back together again. That was a fact that he knew deep down in his heart a long time ago.

 

It not only applies to them, Yoochun's mind whispered, it also applies to the five of us. The only release from this pain is if we're back together once again.

 

"Hyung, we can do this," Changmin encouraged, sensing Yoochun's fears, "We can stop their suffering together. We can be as a family once more. Don't you believe in their love anymore?"

 

Don't you believe in our love for one another?

 

Yoochun heard the silent question Changmin was screaming and his heart was ridden with guilt once more. When had Changmin turned so insecure? He was always the strongest out of them all. The one who could control his emotions with an iron fist and never flinch from any pain or hurt. He was fiercely independent and grew into a young and mature adult, never seeking help from any of his hyungs. When had he turned so fearful of the love people gave him?

 

You know when, his mind whispered traitorously, and you know what was it that led to this change.

 

"Yoochun hyung?" Changmin questioned softly, breaking Yoochun's inner tirade of self-hatred.

 

"I never stopped believing." Yoochun replied as guilt morphed into tears that rushed down his face, "It might have been fading throughout the years but I never stopped believing."

 

I never stopped believing in our love, Changmin ah. Never once did I stopped.

 

"And that's all I want to hear." Changmin uttered, his heart pounding in his chest as his fears were extinguished, "so I take it that means you're in?"

 

Yoochun laughed. It was just like Changmin to get straight to the point.

 

"Only on the condition that it's your head that's on the platter when starts to hit the fan."

 

He declared through the phone; the corner of his lips pulled into the brightest smile he made since his father passed away.

 

So happiness is just that easily attained huh?

 

"Deal." 

 

Changmin replied before ending the phone call, a smirk on his face. The first person that Jaejoong was going to kill was not going to be him anyway. 

 

He'll go for the one in the closest proximity and I'll be a million miles away by then.

 

Changmin grinned, his laughter cackling throughout the corridor as he imagined Jaejoong's furious face when the cat's out of the bag.

 

Yoochun hyung was so dead.

 

Author's Note: Ever since I've said that I'm not going to update as often, a lot of you have been worried that I'm not going to continue this fic. I hope this update reassures you that I have no intention of letting this fic go. :) Also, I have a question for you guys: Do you want Yoosu in this fic?

I've been struggling with the desire of adding Yoosu in this fic but I can't make up my mind till now. -.- Enjoy this chapter and leave a comment below as your answer~ Thank you. :)