Chapter 27

The Phone Call

 

 

 

Minutes passed as Changmin stared at the door, his hands clenched at his sides as he stood still, his thoughts awry and his mind shattered. He did not anticipate Yunho hyung turning the tables on him. He supposed that was his fault. He should have known. Yunho hyung was a scheming man. He may not be as intelligent as Changmin himself but Yunho was not above little tricks like these. Changmin sighed. He honestly did not want to walk through that door. It may seem to be a block of wood in others' eyes but it felt like a mountain to him; a mountain in his life that he knew he had to conquer.

 

 

Changmin ran his fingers through his hair, his lips pursed in frustration. It was so easy when it was Yunho hyung's or Junsu hyung's problem. He could give advice readily. He could push them to reconcile with their respective partners. He could force the both of them to confront the issues that they have but now, Changmin realised that it was near impossible to do so when it came to himself. It was just so tough. Admitting his true feelings meant baring his soul into the open and that required unconditional trust. Despite Changmin's affections, he was not sure if he could do that just yet.

 

 

Time trickled by as Changmin remained outside, unsure of what to do. He was at a loss; his mind in pandemonium. Thoughts were firing at a random pace and emotions were overwhelming the logical side of him. He grabbed the strands of his hair in anger, frustration clouding his vision. Love was chasing away the intelligence he prided on. It was turning him inside out, blinding him to the facts before him.

 

 

Starting to panic, Changmin's pupils widened as tears leaked from the corners of his eyes, his breathing increasing as the tightness in his chest grew. What if his intelligence vanished for life? What if this relationship crumbles? What if he made the same mistakes Yunho hyung and Junsu hyung did?  What if his love was inadequate for his partner? He knew nothing about love after all. Feelings were foreign and followed no logic. How was he to ensure that mistakes would not be made? He did not want to lose him. He rather lose his heart. He was one of the best friends he ever had. He could not be without him. He simply could not. Logic override love in this case, and logic dictates that he let it go before the relationship turned serious. After all, their current friendship is still salvageable, right? Changmin paused in his thoughts.

 

 

Or had their relationship reached to the point of destruction?

 

 

Changmin tugged at his hair as he leaned his head against the door. Could he really let it all go? Could he really turn his back on the feelings he had and pretend that their relationship never existed? The tears wounded up in his eyes once more. Why? Why did the denial hurt worse than the pain of losing him? He was supposed to be able let it go. He was supposed to be able to detach himself from emotions but now he was in so deep he simply could not resurface to breathe. The feelings were drowning him. He was dying.

 

 

Changmin laughed as the tears rolled down his cheeks. He may be a genius but when it came to love, it seems like he was nothing but a blubbering idiot. Taking deep breaths, Changmin attempted to suppress the hysterical laughter bubbling up his throat.

 

 

"Come on, Changmin," he encouraged himself, "If Junsu hyung can do it, so can you!"

 

 

Nodding his head once in determination, Changmin took deep breaths in to calm himself down before he opened the door, his eyes crossed as he geared himself, ready to accept whatever fate that awaited him.

 

 

Yes, Changmin admitted to himself, he knew he could be an utter idiot when it comes to love but damn him if he falls to Junsu hyung's level of idiocy. No. He would not let that happen. He could be an idiot but Junsu hyung would forever be the last. Changmin was adamant about that.

 

 

Junsu hyung, mianhae but I really don't want to lose to you.

 

 

~*~

 

 

 

"Yunho hyung."

 

 

The sudden call of his name made him paused in his step. Turning around, Yunho came face to face with Yoochun who was staring at him in barely concealed rage. Yunho raised a brow but did not say anything otherwise. Looking around, he then noticed in the far distance that Junsu had placed his arms around Jaejoong's shoulder and was effectively steering Jaejoong away from him. Smiling to hide the unease he felt, Yunho spoke in a monotonous voice.

 

 

"I assume you want to speak to me alone."

 

 

Yoochun said nothing, letting the silence speak for itself. Sighing, Yunho strode away, leading the way to a secluded area for the private conversation he was sure would be filled with threats. Silence with Yoochun was never a good thing. No, Yunho thought, it was the signalment of his impending death. He was doomed no matter which way the talk went.

 

 

"I guess let's start from the beginning then..."

 

 

Yunho barely had time to finish his words before Yoochun sent a punch flying to his face and he fell to the floor soundlessly. He did not bother getting up. He did not even stop Yoochun. Wordlessly, he allowed Yoochun to punch him over and over again, his eyes kept to the floor in shame. Yunho knew Yoochun would be pissed; to say that he was surprised by Yoochun's reaction would be a huge overstatement. Yoochun had made him promise that he would take care of Jaejoong when they got together. As Jaejoong's best friend, Yunho knew, he definitely had this coming for him. He deserved every punch thrown at him.

 

 

"Damn you hyung!" Yoochun bellowed out after the fifth punch to his shoulder, breaking the tense silence between them, "How could you do this to us, to Jaejoong hyung? All these years and you did not say a damn thing! Did our friendship mean nothing to you? Was Jaejoong hyung worth so little?"

 

 

Yunho pursed his lips tightly. He could feel Yoochun's anger surrounding them, consuming everything in its rage. He knew Yoochun was tempted to lash out at him. Yunho also knew that it was that it was respect for Jaejoong that was pulling Yoochun's temper back; that little self-control Yoochun practised that showed the deepness of his bond with Jaejoong.

 

 

Yunho would not lie. It took him a long time to get rid of the jealousy he had when he witnessed the bond the pair had. Jaejoong and Yoochun are soulmates. There was no doubt about that. Their bond ran deeper than any relationship Jaejoong had, even the one he had with Yunho. Yunho was envious and even resentful at times but he eventually learned to let it go. Both Yoochun and Jaejoong were his friends. It would be stupid and entirely childish of him to hold onto that stupid grudge just because he was being over possessive of Jaejoong.

 

 

So Yunho sat there and took it like an idiot, never once defending himself from Yoochun's punches. He was resigned to his fate the moment he made his choice. Yunho knew it would tear them apart. Despite it all, he had chosen to walk this road of hurt. It was a decision that kept his biological family safe even though it tore the family of his heart apart. Throughout the past years, Yunho always justified to himself that he was protecting his family. He convinced himself that such a measure was necessary, but now, even Yunho was tired of lying. Secretly, he knew that the price was too much to pay. The decision he had made broke them into a million pieces that would never piece together again. He had made all five of them suffer through unnecessary hurt and pain and it was all because of a promise he had to keep with his father. He laughed self-deprecatingly. Yunho did not think he had ever felt so much hatred for himself than he had right now. He, the leader of them, had single-handedly tore them all apart just for a damn promise he had to keep. Yunho sighed. Jaejoong was right. His pride would be the death of him someday. Literally.

 

 

"Idiot hyung, stop thinking. Your thoughts are going to kill you," Yoochun's voice pierced through his muddled mind, breaking the haze his thoughts were enveloped in. Looking up to Yoochun, Yunho realised that somewhere along the way, Yoochun had stopped punching the living daylights out of him and was now frowning at him, arms crossed in impatience. Yunho heaved a mental sigh. It was time for the real talk then. Picking himself off the floor, Yunho stood shakily on his two feet, wiping the blood away from his lips. Yoochun could pack a mean punch that was for sure.

 

 

"I thought your punches were going to kill me, not my thoughts." Yunho commented offhandedly as he struggled to retain his sense of balance as he stood on his two trembling feet .

 

 

Yoochun grinned, as though it was an entire normal occurrence for him to punch Yunho repeatedly in the face, "And trust me, I was tempted."

 

 

Yunho smiled back. It was difficult to define the dynamics of his relationship with Yoochun but somehow, violence always worked out for them. In the past, every time Yunho was being a to Jaejoong, it was always Yoochun who dished out the first punch before he left Changmin to lecture Yunho's ears off about his actions. In the end, Yunho would realise his mistakes, apologise to both Jaejoong and Yoochun and all would be well again. He did not apologise to Changmin as Changmin was way much younger than him (Yoochun's was a few months' difference while Changmin's was two years) and he was being a prideful prick back then. Still, that was not all. What Yunho loved the most about Yoochun were not the violent bouts of displays he so affectionately bestowed upon him. What Yunho loved the most about Yoochun were the warm hugs that always seem to follow after the punches he gave. Yoochun may be a violent person but his sensitive nature was what appealed to the mass audience in the entertainment industry. If Jaejoong was the epitome of motherly behaviour, then Yoochun was certainly the definition of sensitivity. He may pretend to be tough but Yunho knew, Yoochun would cry at the thought of any one of them being in pain.

 

 

Thus, it came as no surprise to him at all when Yoochun suddenly enveloped him in a hug and buried his head into Yunho's chest, his tears dampening Yunho's suit. No, Yoochun may have grown throughout the years but he was still and forever will be Yunho's little brother.

 

 

"Yoochun, you're such an idiot." Yunho whispered, tightening his arms around his shoulders and ignoring the muffled protest within.

 

 

~*~

 

 

Changmin walked into the room, closing the door behind him. Kyuhyun was already waiting for him. His arms were crossed but his face was devoid of any expression. It was the silence that surrounded them; the weight of the pain that Changmin felt that was drowning the both of them. If it were up to him, Changmin would break the silence for sure. They were meant to be talking, making sarcastic remarks and mocking the world in general. It was never meant to be like this. Now, Changmin did not even know what to say. He ruined it. That was all he knew. There was no going back anymore.

 

 

Changmin could feel the tears welling up in his eyes as he struggled with his thoughts. It was so easy, he knew. All he had to do was to say the three words and everything would be back to normal, but somehow, Changmin did not want that. Admitting his feelings to him was going to be a burden to Kyuhyun. He knew it instinctually. Kyuhyun would never feel the same way about him. It was impossible

 

 

"Stop trying to deduce my thoughts," Kyuhyun remarked, a wave of irritation crossing his face, "You don't know me as well as you think."

 

 

"We're best friends," Changmin replied, struggling to keep his emotions in check, "What do I not know about you?"

 

 

"This," Kyuhyun proclaimed before he crossed the distance between the pair and kissed Changmin, silencing his protests with a kiss. Changmin did not know what to do. Kyuhyun was hugging him and that was all he could feel. He would breathe in, and the smell of leather, fresh grass and lemon would instantly fill his nostrils, a smell he came to recognise as uniquely Kyuhyun's.

 

 

Changmin sighed in his mind, pushing Kyuhyun away from him as he took a step back to reevaluate his thoughts. Kyuhyun was offering himself on the plate here. By that kiss, he was basically saying that he did not mind venturing into a possible romantic prospect of their relationship. By that kiss, he meant that the emotions they were experiencing were real and were not going to fade anytime soon. He meant his heart by that kiss, a heart he ed into Changmin's hands just like that.

 

 

Changmin breathed. He knew Kyuhyun trusts him. He just never knew how much. Now what was he supposed to do with Kyuhyun's heart? He was

not good at this. Kyuhyun knew that. How many of his past relationships had failed due to his inability to express his feelings properly? How much hurt had he caused his girlfriends just because he was stubborn and too prideful to admit his mistakes? He was a wreck and he knew it. Yunho's mother had not been far off after all. Yunho's father had separated Jaejoong and Yunho out of fear and had refused to admit his mistakes until the day he died. Even then, Yunho's father did not publicly apologise for his mistakes. Instead, he tried to push Jaejoong and Yunho back together, as though the reunion would make up for the past hurt the forced separation caused. Changmin bit the side of his cheeks as he looked down at the palm of his bare hands. Ironically, he realised now that he had been mimicking Yunho's father's actions all this while. Changmin was too busy pushing Jaejoong and Yunho together he neglected to take their feelings into consideration. What if they were not ready for it? Changmin shook his head. He was really lucky it all worked out in the end. He could have ruined their relationship for all he knows. He really was an idiot, was he? Sighing, Changmin took a step forward and wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun, burying his head into Kyuhyun's warm and sturdy chest.

 

 

"Mianhae." he whispered to Kyuhyun as his lips found Kyuhyun's beating heart and planted a kiss there. I could not see beyond my fears, he continued silently in his mind as he kissed Kyuhyun's heart one more time, I hurt you and broke your heart because of my pride. He kissed Kyuhyun's heart again. I am an idiot. Another kiss planted. Mianhae.

 

 

Allowing his lips to curve into a smile, Kyuhyun lifted his arms and embraced Changmin back, speaking softly into his ears.

 

 

"Idiot," Kyuhyun breathed, "How can you be so smart and so stupid at the same time?"

 

 

Changmin grinned amidst his tears, tightening his arms around Kyuhyun's figure, "Well, at least I'm the male in the relationship."

 

 

Sensing Kyuhyun's confusion, Changmin's grin deepened as he further elaborated, "Yunho's mother thought I was having 'girlfriend' issues, clearly because your feminine traits are showing."

 

 

Giving it a few seconds for his words to sink in, Changmin laughed out loud as Kyuhyun released Changmin from his arms instantly and squawked in indignation, threatening to kill Changmin and demolish the entire world.

 

 

Changmin smiled. Really, he thought to himself as Kyuhyun continued his endless tirade of his majestic plans to conquer the world, it does not matter to him at all. As long as this happiness stays forever, Changmin did not mind it a single bit.

 

 

"Idiot," Changmin finally interrupted Kyuhyun's words when Kyuhyun's face flushed red from agitation, "How can you be so smart and so stupid at the same time?"

 

 

Kyuhyun glared hard at him, his menacing aura defeated by the bright smirk on Changmin's face. Changmin laughed, mentally tallying the scores in his mind.

 

 

Changmin: 1

 

Kyuhyun: 0

 

 

He grinned. Oh yes, things were definitely returning back to normal.

 

 

Author's Note: I am terribly sorry that I am such a horrible writer that you awesome lovely subscribers have to wait so long for an update by me. Please understand that I really tried writing The Phone Call many times but inspiration just would not come. :( Anyway, fret not, cause it's finally here! ^^ The next chapter will be the epilogue, I promise. :) I can't believe this story's finally ending. Thank you all for the support and your kind words. Wait for the epilogue that's coming right up okay?

 

P.S. I hope I got Kyuhyun in character. I really am very inexperienced with ChangKyu. :) Forgive me for any mistakes okay?

 

P.P.S. 5starssupporter, this chapter is for you. :)