Chapter 20

The Phone Call

 

Jaejoong could hear his heart pounding in his ears. He could see the photographs trembling in his hands. He could feel the beads of tears streaming down his face. Yunho. His whole mind was focused on the image before him. The memories of those times had surfaced in his mind along with the last conversation they had.

 

"Yunho," Jaejoong pleaded, "Please don't do this. I'm leaving the company but I'm not leaving you and Changmin."


Yunho shrugged his hands away.


"Get out," he shouted, "Just go and leave me alone."


"Yun-"


"I SAID GET OUT OF MY SIGHT."


Yunho bellowed, punching the wall before him. Taking the vase in front of him, he smashed it on the ground, shattering it into a million pieces.


"Get out," he finally whispered, turning away from Jaejoong and walking back into his room. 

 

Jaejoong stood there then, his lone shadow cast on the wall. The vase had been their souvenir from Hawaii, a lone break from their busy schedules that they had finally gotten. Yet in that instant, Yunho did not even hesitate. With a single hit, he had shattered their memories and destroyed them without an ounce of regret. Wiping the tears off his face, Jaejoong walked out of the house, vowing that he would return when Yunho had simmered down.

 

Days had turned into months, and months had turned into years. As though he was watching a movie, Jaejoong had watched time flew by, their love slowly dying out with each missed call and text he sent. Hope had transformed into despair and love had turned into hatred. The seeds of bitterness and resentment had grown within him and Jaejoong felt himself sinking deeper into the black abyss that was now his heart. Yet despite it all, he could never bring himself to hate him no matter how much hurt Yunho had put him through. He could not hate Yunho and that, to Jaejoong was the worst part of it all.

 

He felt pathetic. Why could he not hate Yunho? He had caused him so much pain, was it not justified if he hated him? Yet he could not. Like a fool, Jaejoong loved him until the very end, even when he received the break up text from Yunho, even when Yunho rejected every call that he made. The photographs mocked him as Jaejoong finally turned his eyes onto the images before him. They were speaking of a time that he no longer knew existed, a time he could no longer comprehend. Dropping the photographs in his hand, Jaejoong let them land on the floor with a soft thud.

 

Yunho did not care at that time, why would he care now? Why was he feeding him all that lies now? Glaring at the letter on the bed, Jaejoong had the sudden urge to rip the letter into pieces. Lies. All lies. His mind seemed to be agreeing with him. That traitorous monster! How dare he tell him this after all the unwanted pain and hurt? Grabbing the lighter off his drawer, Jaejoong took the letter and lit it, about to burn it to shreds.

 

The fire had lit for barely a second before it was doused with water. Jaejoong did not even bother to turn around this time. He knew who the person was. He could see the shadow reflected off his floorboards. Turning away, he faced his back towards the intruder, showing his annoyance at being interrupted.

 

"What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, hyung?"

 

Jaejoong remained silent. He figured if he ignored the voice behind him, it would go away eventually. He was wrong. Appearing in his sight of vision, Yoochun had lifted his face up, staring into his emotionless eyes.

 

"Hyung," Yoochun sighed as he let go of Jaejoong's face, "Why can't you believe that Yunho still loves you?"

 

"Maybe it's because he doesn't?"

 

Jaejoong retorted in his mind.

 

He could understand if Yunho was feeding him lies, he could not understand why Yoochun was participating in that act too. Was it not enough that he was hurt once? Why must he be hurt twice? He rather it all be lies. That way, it was easier to accept because that meant that Yunho did not love him once, even in the beginning. Jaejoong clenched his fists. Now he was really being pathetic. He knew what Yoochun was saying was the truth. He knew that what Yunho's mother had said was the truth. Why could not he just believe? Why could he not let go?

 

Instantly, Yunho's words floated in his mind.

 

"The letter was supposed to help me let go of my past but my resolve has merely strengthened, do you know why Jaejoongie? That's because the therapist was wrong. The only way to move on from the past is not to let go but to hold on."

 

Jaejoong began to laugh. Deep peals of laughter echoed around him as he burst into fits of laughter, scaring Yoochun who was in front of him. Even now, the only person who could understand his deepest worries was Yunho. He was the only one who knew the solutions to his problems, just like the dilemma he just experienced.

 

"The only way to move on from the past is not to let go but to hold on."

 

Jaejoong repeated, his voice trembling as the laughter subsided and tears began to come forth. Turning his eyes to the letter he almost burnt, he was horrified to discover that the letter had not come out of the fire intact. The name 'Jung Yunho' that was supposed to be at the end of the letter was gone. It had been burnt away.

 

Jung Yunho was gone.

 

Jaejoong did not know why he panicked. He did not hear Yoochun screaming behind him as he ran. He did not even see Junsu as he blocked the door, preventing Jaejoong from escaping. With a single force, he had pushed Junsu aside, exiting the house in a fast blur.

 

Memories flashed by in his mind as he ran down the stairs to his garage, his fears taking a hold of him. Within seconds, Jaejoong was in his car, opening the garage doors and speeding out, leaving the house behind him as the burnt letter lay beside him on the passenger seat. He did not even know where he was going. He did not stop to think even once. He just knew he had to leave. He had to find Yunho.

 

"I will always love you. Your other half, Jung Yunho."

 

Jaejoong slammed the steering wheel as tears streamed down his face. Yunho. Jung Yunho. He was his other half. He was the love of his life. How could he be so blind? Pulling the car to a stop, Jaejoong exited the car as he entered a place he knew instinctively Yunho would be found at.

 

"He's already waiting for you inside."

 

Jaejoong nodded his thanks at the middle-aged woman who greeted him and pushed open the doors, awaiting his fate.

 

Author's Note: PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!! >< I know I promised that Yunho and Jaejoong will meet in this chapter but please bear with me. >< I''m typing out the chapter as this is being published so please be patient okay? >< I had to split this chapter into half because it was too long for a chapter. >< DON'T WORRY! THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE UPLOADED SOON! I'm typing away~~ *scoots off*