Chapter 2

The Phone Call

 

Changmin watched as the red ocean held their breath, observing Changmin and Yunho for any outward clue to their hidden turmoil. Signboards and LED boards were held tightly as every fan prayed hard for success. No fan knew what to expect. No fan knew what would happen. It was probably one of their craziest fan projects ever, but who would have thought it could work? Clutching their light-sticks tightly, Cassiopeia prayed as one together. This was definitely pushing the invisible boundaries that Yunho and Changmin had, but the main concern was: Would this push end in success or in failure?

 

I guessed I should have expected that, Changmin thought as the fans scrunched up their faces in prayer. This was a country filled with fans that wanted to see them back as 5 again after all. It was hardly a surprise that such an event will occur in their fanmeeting here.

 

Still, why didn't their manager object to it?

 

Glancing over at Yunho, Changmin noticed that he was still as blank as ever.

 

Yunho hyung, are you that terrified at the possibility of talking to them? Are you so afraid that you can't even move a single inch?

 

"We'll have a short break, if you don't mind, emcee-shii." Yunho spoke abruptly, a false smile in place and Changmin was left contemplating if Yunho ever genuinely smiled since the lawsuit. Just like that, the emcee nodded his head in agreement.

 

What is going on now?

 

Changmin wondered as they were shuffled to a room backstage immediately. Tension in the air was apparent and their manager looked so pale it was as though he was choking to death by pure tension alone. He looked like someone had just announced to him that today was the end of the world. Well, Changmin could hardly blame him. An irate Yunho is as scary as the end of the world. Cross that. It's worse than the end of the world!

 

"Explain, hyung." Yunho ordered, his full leader mode on with traces of anger radiating out of him.

 

"SM wants you to reconcile with them or at least give the image of doing so," their manager replied shakily, intentionally avoiding Yunho's eyes, "Previously, JYJ held nothing of value to them. When they first sued SM, although SM experienced backlash, they were generally still viewed as traitors by the public and were considered worthless." 

 

"However, now, they have turned into a band so famous worldwide that SM can no longer ignore the opportunities and the benefits it will bring to the company if they were to work with us. It would be extremely advantageous to the company especially with the company's situation right now."

 

"So that's why they approved of this 'Friend-calling Session'?" Yunho shouted as he slammed his fist on the table. "Then what about us? Does our feelings not matter?"

 

"First they tell us to ignore them and not pick up any of their phone calls. Now you're telling me they want us to reconcile? Are we puppets to be manipulated? Are we humans with no feelings? Why are we being played around like a fool?"

 

"Yunho, you know how's the company like.." 

 

Their manager pacified, placing a hand on Yunho's shoulder, attempting to calm him down.

 

"And I don't want to know anymore." 

 

Yunho bellowed as he shrugged their manager's hand off. Slamming the door behind him, he left Changmin and their manager in the room alone.

 

Their manager sighed. In that instant, their manager looked like he had aged ten years. Observing the wrinkles on his face, Changmin wondered if it was normal for a middle-aged man to have that many wrinkles and stress lines.

 

"I'll go and calm him down, Changmin. Don't worry about it. Meanwhile, it's best if you go ahead and proceed with the fan event first."

 

Proceed with the fan event?

 

"Hyung, we're seriously going to do this?" Changmin asked in astoundment.

 

"Yes Changmin," Their manager heaved a huge sigh, "That's not the worst part though."

 

What is?

 

Changmin questioned silently as he waited patiently for their manager to speak. An ominous feeling coming over him. Suddenly, Changmin did not know if he wanted to hear what his manager has to say anymore.

 

"The company wants to emphasize on the good relations among all of you so they made an extremely stupid arrangement that even an idiot can tell is not going to work."

 

Sighing once more, their manager continued.

 

"They're going to make you call Junsu & Yoochun while Yunho's going to call Jaejoong."

 

Changmin blanched. "You've got to be kidding me. That's not a demonstration of good relations. That's a bloody catastrophe!"

 

Yunho and Jaejoong might have been the bestest of friends and even past lovers once but both had not talked to each other in years. Besides, Yunho had been ignoring Jaejoong's calls since the start of the lawsuit till now. Trusting in his absolute knowledge of Jaejoong's personality, Jaejoong was not going to let it slid down easily. Add an angry Yunho and a fuming Jaejoong together and you will only get what you call a nuclear explosion.

 

"Are you serious?" Changmin asked once more, unable to believe what he just heard.

 

Their manager merely shrugged his shoulders and signaled Changmin to get on stage before leaving to find Yunho.

 

This is really crazy.

 

Changmin thought once he was back on stage once again.

 

This is just a disaster waiting to happen.

 

Changmin stared ahead of him.

 

Cassiopeia, what exactly have you done?

 

"So Changmin shii, who are you going to call out of JYJ?" The emcee questioned, breaking the awkward silence that enveloped them both since Changmin went amok with his thoughts and bringing Changmin to his senses.

 

Changmin sighed. The emcee was giving him free will to make a choice. A decision that will not go well no matter who he chose.

 

So much for free will, huh?

 

Taking in a deep breath, Changmin sought to compose himself.

 

"Junsu hyung."

 

Changmin uttered as he watched the anxious faces of their fans slowly morphed into disbelief.

 

You are not the only one who can not believe that this is happening. Changmin brooded. I can not too. You have really outsmarted me this time. I can only hope that there are no more surprises from here on.

 

Tensai Changmin: 1

 

Cassiopeia: 1 

 

Changmin mentally tallied the scores before his face lit up unanticipatedly, stunning the fans with his bright smile. He had forgotten about that but now that he thought about it, he could work with that! A smirk fell into place as Changmin struggled with the urge to grin. It did not matter if they were at a draw now. He was going to win later and he knew it. He had the ultimate trump card and they knew nothing. Laying back, Changmin stretched his legs and yawned inconspicuously. The ball had started rolling and the games had begun.

 

This time, he would not lose.