Chapter 4: Getting to know her

Beautiful Disaster

 

Chapter 4

 

“Hey! Sunggyu hyung! Wait up!” SungYeol called out as he dodged people, trying to catch up to Sunggyu. Sunggyu stopped walking and waited for SungYeol to catch up. “DongWoo said he saw the new students today.” He said, panting as they walked up the main building.

 

How could he forget? “Oh, right. I heard there are five of them.” He said as the two of them walked towards the soccer field.  “Three guys and two girls, as far as I know it.” He said. He usually wasn’t the type to gossip but for this time, he naturally knew.

 

SungYeol just looked at him with a surprised expression. “DongWoo just mentioned he saw a really beautiful girl and she was with a guy that kinda looked like her.” He said as they sat down on the bleachers. “How did you know there were 5 of them?” he asked.

 

Sunggyu shrugged, bringing out his phone. “They… actually moved in to that huge house on our street.” He replied hesitantly. “I saw one of the boys when they were moving in.” he said then glanced over at SungYeol. “it’s not really important isn’t it? They’re new students. So what? No big deal.”

 

“Hey Hyungs!” SungJong called out as he sat near then, dropping his bag. “I saw the new kids today, there were five of them and they looked so cool! There were 2 girls but I think she’s dating one of the guys and the other girl, she’s so beautiful, like a doll.” SungJong blabbed out continuously, looking out in the field all dreamily.

 

“This is why it’s crucial information, Sunggyu hyung!” SungYeol called out. “Look, DongWoo’s done with practice!” he called out, pointing towards the people coming out of the locker rooms like ants crawling out of its home. They all stood up walking towards the field. “I mean, my reputation of being a playboy is going to be ruined because of you Sunggyu hyung!” SungYeol ranted on.

 

Sunggyu couldn’t possibly tell his friends about her. He felt as if he didn’t want them to know about her. Like they didn’t have any right to. He said good bye to his friends and went to his classroom, sitting down on his usual chair. Gossip was going around about the new students and it seemed like two of them are coming to his class.

 

The school bell rang and everyone sat in their assigned seats. Their homeroom teacher came in, leaving two people outside. “Everyone, we have two new students joining our class.” Their homeroom teacher, Ms. Oh YongJu, called out. She looked to the door and nodded. “Please introduce yourselves.” She said.

 

Sunggyu immediately recognized the two people. “I’m Lee HoWon, or you all can call me Hoya. It’s nice to meet you all.” He said with a short bow then looked towards the girl beside him.

 

“My name is Kim SungYoon.” She said then bowed. She looked around and her eyes met someone she didn’t expect to see.

 

“Okay well then, Ms. Kim, you can sit down with Kim Sunggyu, Sunggyu raise your hand.” The teacher said and he did as he was told. “Then, Mr. Lee, you can go sit beside Lee ChanHee, raise your hand ChanHee.” And the latter did as he was told as well.

 

Sunggyu could feel his heartbeat increasing as she came closer to him. Words were running through his mind on what to say to her. Hi, I’m the guy you saved a few days ago. Do you remember me? – Nah, that would sound too stupid. Hello SungYoon, my name is Sunggyu. I live at the house down the street from yours.—nah, too stalker-ish.

 

She sat down beside him, facing the blackboard, her face too stoic for him to read. He wanted to talk to her, at least say something to her. “H-Hi.” He said, slightly stuttering. “M-My name i-is Sunggyu.” He said, his hands shaking. He didn’t understand it at all, why he was like that all of a sudden.

 

He was surprised when her lips formed a smile. “I know.” She said simply. It scared her, looking at him. Sunggyu reminded her of him, of her companion, of her other half. It was like she was seeing him all over again. It was as if she was taken back in time, sitting in her classroom and getting to know him for the first time. But it was impossible, she had seen him, she had seen the flames engulf him. She could still see it playing over and over again in her mind.

 

“SungYoon-ssi?” she looked to Sunggyu and found him staring at her. “Are you okay?” he asked, “I said if you need someone to show you around I’d be glad to.” He said then smiled, making his eyes complete disappear.

 

Exactly like him– she thought. “Thank you for your thoughtfulness.” She replied with a short bow then the school bell rang. “Thank you Sunggyu-ssi, see you later.” She said then stood up as soon as Hoya came to her side. She took his arm and they walked out of the room.

 

Sunggyu went out, watching Hoya talk animatedly to SungYoon while she didn’t turn towards him. He saw three more people join their group as they made their way to their next classes. “Yah, Sunggyu hyung! I heard two new kids are in your class!” SungYeol called out as he reached Sunggyu’s classroom. “I have three in mine, Nam WooHyun, Lee EunMi and Kim MyungSoo.”  Sunggyu nodded and walked with SungYeol to their English class.

 

It was English class during third period that Sunggyu encountered SungYoon again and this time she was with a guy that looked like her and Howon. “Oh, hey Sunggyu!” Howon called out, waving to him. “You’ve met SungYoon and this is her twin brother, MyungSoo but he prefers being called L.” Sunggyu smiled and bowed slightly.

 

Their teacher, Park MinHye, assigned them with pairs for reading a drama part. MyungSoo was paired off with Jung YeoRum, Howon was paired with Lee Mina and SungYoon was paired with Sunggyu. “I guess we’re seating together again huh?” Sunggyu said with a smile. “So, we’re going to have to do a reading from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Have you read any of her work?” he asked.

 

Several times and in different languages.– she wanted to say but she merely nodded in reply. Sunggyu just looked at her waiting for a verbal response but he nodded in return, “great. I was thinking to get into character we can read up on Jane Austen to get a feel of the 1800s when she wrote the novel.”

 

But I have met Jane Austen. I knew what it was like in those days.– she thought and wanted to say but once again she nodded. Sunggyu smiled, “Do you ever say anything?” he asked in an amused tone. “I mean, I don’t mind talking but I also want to hear your input.” He told her.

 

“I think that would be good.” She said simply with a nod.

 

“Okay, then we can go to my house tonight and start choosing parts to read in class. Would that be okay?” he asked.

 

It was potentially problematic, but would she risk it? It would be either him going to their house or her, going to his. The latter was a better deal. “Alright, that would be okay with me.” She said in reply.