Chapter 18: The Truth

Beautiful Disaster

 

 

Chapter 18

 

After classes, SungYoon encouraged Sunggyu to visit DongWoo and change his mind about changing schools. He insisted on taking her home first then he would go off to DongWoo’s house. SungJong wanted to come since SungYeol didn’t come to class for the rest of the day. So with Sunggyu driving, he dropped off SungYoon at home and drove to DongWoo’s house with SungJong.

 

As they arrived at DongWoo’s house, SungYeol was sitting outside with DongWoo, they were laughing. They noticed Sunggyu’s car and the two stood up and waved. Sunggyu parked the car in front of the house and walked with SungJong towards the two. “Hey man, what’s up?” DongWoo asked.

 

“YOU DIDN’T TELL US YOU’RE MOVING SCHOOLS!” SungJong nagged like a mother, pouting at DongWoo. “Hyung~ Don’t change schools. It’s the middle of the term.” He said.

 

DongWoo shrugged in reply. “Mom feels SangGo is a better school.” He said with a smile, lightly punching Sunggyu and grabbing SungJong. “Come on, we’re still friends. Right?” he said with a laugh. “It’s not as if we’re going to stop talking to each other all of a sudden.” He said which made sense. “So, what did I miss these past couple of days?”

 

“Well, Sunggyu hyung is officially dating SungYoon noona!” SungJong called out happily. DongWoo’s smile faltered a little bit but no one really noticed it. “Doesn’t he look really happy lately? Always smiling and stuff.”

 

DongWoo forced a smile on. He would have been really happy for his friend, were it not for his knowledge about SungYoon. He placed an arm around Sunggyu, “Congratulations buddy.” He said. “Just… be a little careful.” He said.

 

Sunggyu made a face. He was positive DongWoo knew something about her that he didn’t. “What do you mean?” he asked in a low voice. The curiosity was killing him, though he could barely even notice it when he was with her.

 

“Do you still wear that bracelet that YeoRum gave you?” DongWoo asked. Sunggyu lifted it up, showing it to DongWoo. “Never take it off, okay?” Sunggyu just nodded in reply. He was about to say something when DongWoo continued talking. “I can’t tell you Sunggyu. She’s the one who would have to tell you.” He said then smiled. DongWoo glanced down his watch as he broke away from Sunggyu and looked back up to his friends. “I’m sorry guys, I have to go. See you all next time.” He said, waving his hand then walking away.

 

DongWoo continued walking as he reached the main street and 3 more blocks, reaching a house. He knocked three times and a lean boy opened the door. DongWoo smiled, “Yo MinSu.” He said.

 

The boy called MinSu smiled and let DongWoo inside the house. As the two reached the living room, there were two more boys. “Hi DongWoo!” the two boys called out in unison then continued playing.

 

“Niel! Changjo! Stop it!” MinSu called out to the two boys who nodded in reply. “What’s up?” MinSu asked as they sat down on the couch.

 

“My mom knows the royalty in Seoul.” DongWoo said simply which caught the attention of the three boys. “One of them is my friend’s girlfriend. I… I’m scared for him.” He said honestly.

 

“Do you know who this royalty is?” Niel asked curiously.

 

DongWoo nodded his head in reply. “My mom said her real name is Stephanie. Stephanie Vostokov.”

 

Changjo’s eyes widened. “Did you say Vostokov?” he asked and DongWoo nodded. “A princess.” He said, talking to himself then turned to MinSu. “I know for a fact that the princess Vostokov has a twin brother.” He said.

 

“Why do we need to know all the vampires in the country?” DongWoo asked.

 

MinSu looked back at him and smiled smugly. “For domination of course.” He replied. “Vampires made our race extinct years ago. And they’ve been lording over the lands, now it’s our turn.” He said smiling.

 

SungYoon found herself going to L.Joe’s house. She had to speak with him with her new discovery. Chunji was the one who opened the door, letting her inside. “L.Joe went out to feed for tonight. You can wait for him in the living room.” Chunji said. SungYoon nodded and walked with Chunji to the living room.

 

The two of them talked, waiting for L.Joe to come home. And he did around 11 in the evening. “Stephanie,” L.Joe said as he saw the girl. “What brings you here?” he asked, sitting down as well.

 

SungYoon looked at Chunji then to L.Joe. “The name Elizabeth Lockhart, does it ring a bell to you?” She asked him and he nodded. “She’s in Seoul. I saw her recently. She is currently known as Jang YoungOk. A mother to Jang DongWoo.”

 

“Wait.” Chunji started. “DongWoo? You mean Sunggyu’s friend DongWoo?” he asked and SungYoon nodded in reply. “What’s with DongWoo’s mom?” he asked.

 

“She’s a werewolf.” SungYoon replied simply. “And I am guessing that DongWoo just came of age and became a werewolf as well. I suspect that it was DongWoo who killed our Ricky.”

 

Chunji’s eyebrows furrowed. “Why noona?” he asked again.

 

“Because, in order to transform into a full werewolf, you have to kill a vampire.” L.Joe explained to Chunji and SungYoon nodded. L.Joe turned his full attention to SungYoon. “It is a full moon tonight. Elizabeth knows who you are and she might send the others after you. Chunji will take you home tonight.” He said.

 

“Sending Chunji will just endanger his life.” SungYoon replied then stood up. “I can go home by myself.” She told him.

 

“NO!” L.Joe shouted, his eyes a crimson red color. “You are too important to loose. Chunji will take you home. And that is not a request Stephanie.” He said sternly then looked at Chunji who just nodded in reply.

 

The two of them were walking home. “Don’t worry SungYoon noona, I can take care of myself you know.” Chunji told SungYoon as they walked. She smiled a little and turned to Chunji. “I’ve been with L.Joe since he came to Korea. I know and I’ve seen a lot of things already.” She nodded at him in reply.

 

“How come he has never turned you?” she asked him as they reached the street that she lives on. “I mean, if you have been in his service for that long, how come he has never given you a life like ours?” she asked.

 

Chunji smiled. “He said it will always be my choice. He will turn me if I ask him to. I’ve never asked him to so I guess that’s why.” He said with a shrug.”Was it your choice noona?” he asked.

 

“No. It was never my choice.” She replied and as she saw Sunggyu waiting outside her house, sitting down. “Thank you for taking me home Chunji. I am safe here now. Take care on your way home.” She told him. Chunji smiled widely then bowed to her and left.

 

She continued walking down the street and smiled as Sunggyu saw her. He stood up and walked towards her. “Hey, I was wondering where you went.” He said. “I asked inside they said you weren’t home yet. So I got worried.” He said, scratching the back of his head.

 

She smiled at him. Sweet kid. “Sunggyu I need to tell you something.” She started. SungYoon liked him, undeniably so she didn't want him to get involved. SungYoon saw how much he cared for her, how much he liked her but that wouldn't save him on what was happening in their world. It was much too complicated.

 

“Are you going to break up with me?” he asked nervously. He then took her hand and pulled her toward his chest. He ignored the coldness of her skin and just held her close. “Did… did I do anything wrong? Anything I did to step out of line? Tell me and I’ll correct it.” He said then looked at her eyes.

 

“You once said that you think I am an angel?” she said. “What if I told you I am not?” she asked him and he simply stared at her in reply. “If I tell you the truth, do you promise not to be afraid? Not to run away? Not to fear me?” she asked him.

 

His breathing was unsteady and his heart beat was racing abnormally. He wasn’t ready to know but he had to. Or else, he just might regret it. “Okay.” He said. “I promise.”

 

SungYoon nodded, “we should talk inside. It is not safe here.” She said and the two of them went inside the house. L was by the stairs when the two of them got in. “I know that you have something to tell me Lyev, we will speak later.” She said in a stern voice to which L nodded in return. SungYoon took Sunggyu to the living room. They sat down beside each other, SungYoon faced Sunggyu and he looked at her intently.

 

“As you have probably already guessed, I am not human like you.” She started. “I am cold-skinned, I have no need to eat human food but it does give me strength. I do not need rest either.” She told him. “I am an undead.” She said simply. “I cannot tell you exactly what I am.”

 

“Do you… I mean, are you a vampire?” Sunggyu asked in a low voice. SungYoon gave a small smile and nodded. “B-But… Vampires aren’t real, right? You don’t have fangs. Or or burn up in the sunlight.” He said, trying to make sense of it all.

 

“I have fangs that I can show you. And, this necklace of mine gives me the power to walk under the sun, though it is still bothersome.” She replied with a small chuckle. “Would you be alright if I showed you my fangs?” she asked and he nodded. She took a deep breath and Sunggyu heard a clicking sound and saw her fangs come out. He heard another clicking sound and it disappeared. “You must have many questions right now.”

 

“I do.” Sunggyu replied, not taking his eyes away from her. “I thought… I thought you were sick or something.” He told her. “So, why did you tell me now? I mean, you were so reluctant in telling me, why now?” he asked.

 

SungYoon sighed but smiled at him. “Because I fear that your life will be in danger soon and you need to know the truth so you can make your own decision.”She told him. He looked at her confused, “Your decision to stay with me or to leave me.”

 

He looked at her simply. “Why would I want to leave you?” he asked her. “Just because I know that you’re a vampire you think I would leave you?” he said then took her hand. “It’s… weird I have to admit. But you’re still you. And you’re the one I like.” He said then kissed her hand. “I’ll stay with you.” He told her.