amber's blare

Infinitum

 chapter seven 

 amber's blare

 

________________________________________

 

Amber pushed  her way through the crowd. as they elbowed her in the rib. She flinched, but continued on to the lunch line. dropped as she approached the main dishes area. An aray of food that could feed a whole country was in front of her. From pork ribs, to kim bop, to teriyaki chicken. It seemed to Amber that the lunch food was endless. She stared at the all the food in front of her. Which one was she going to choose?

 

"I want that slice of pizza." Amber turned her head, and smile. Of course, Amber's american ways had rubbed off on Luna. Amber reached to get a slice of pizza and put it on Luna's plate.

"Thanks." She said and stood next to Amber.

 

"I never got to ask. What class-" Amber got cut off by Luna.

"Student council." Luna pursed her lips and slowly after she said that. Amber's eyes widen.

"Why...?" Amber raised her eyebrows as she took a burrito and put it on her plate.

"I could ask the same about you." Luna took an aplpe juice bottle from Amber and put it on her plate.

 

Amber grabbed another bottle of apple juice from the drinks section. Even though she didn't reply, she knew exactly what Luna meant. Why had Amber, the tomboy, joined basketball? She didn't know the answer to that. And even if she did, she wouldn't want to answer. She knew she was a disappointment to the group. They were all so successful in different ways. Victoria had joined cheerleading, Sulli had joined her brother, Krystal with fashion designing, and Luna had an amazing voice. But, Amber, had no direction in mind.

 

She didn't want to let Luna down. Luna was the only person she could relate to. She was her closest friend. They had been through everything together. Luna even told Amber that she felt as if she was always left beind in the dust. Amber understood her immediately because she felt the same way.

 

"I know," Luna spoke up and erupted the silence between them, "it's useless for me too." She bit her lip as she tagged along behind her as Amber payed for both of them. The two of them walked to the round, green table that they sat at this morning.

 

"It's not." Amber spoke once they sat down. "You have a beautiful voice." 

"It's no use because of my darn stage fright." Luna picked up her pizza and started eating the pepperoni.

"So, you got into student council?" Amber said, full of beans and cheese. Luna nodded.

"How about you?" She pried opened her apple juice and started drinking it. Amber nodded.

 

Suddenly, she felt a hand clutching her shoulder. She jumped in shock and choked on her burrito.

"Sorry." It turns out it was Sulli. She set her plate of food down.

 

Amber felt uncomfortable all of a sudden, and it wasn't because of her burrito. It was because of Sulli. She was the only one who knew that Sulli had joined the football team.

 

"Were you planning on not telling us at all?" Amber looked at Sulli while saying this. Luna stared at them blankly, oblivious to what was going on. Sulli, right away, knew what Amber was talking about.

 

"Look, I was waiting for the right time to tell you guys." Sulli plopped the kim bop in , giving herself an excuse to not continue talking. Luna reached across the table and poked Amber. Amber turned to look at Luna. Luna gave her a shrug.

 

"She joined the football team, to be with her brother." Amber said in a low voice. Luna nodded, with no expression visible.

"Sulli joined what?!" Amber, Luna, and Sulli all turned in sync. It was Victoria, with Krystal trailing behind her. Krystal sat down next to Amber, not wanting to be a part of this. Amber offered Krystal half of her burrito, but Krystal shook her head.

 

Victoria slammed her plate next to Sulli and sat down. Sulli gulped and smile shyly.

 

"Unnie!~" Sulli pouted. "It's not as bad as it sounds..." Amber saw her cross her fingers under the table. Amber smiled to herself.

 

"WHAT?! HOW COULD THAT NOT BE AS BAD AS IT-" 

"VIC!" Victoria stopped to see who was calling her. Amber wondered the same thing. But as soon as she did, she felt her heart stop. It was the table full of cheerleaders. Victoria looked at them, then back at Sulli.

 

"We'll talk about this later." She said as the wind blew her blonde hair and walked off. Krystal suddenly stood up.

 

"Where are you going...?" Luna asked curiously. Krystal did a gesture that meant the restroom. They nodded as she ran off.

 

Sulli turned when her brother came over and whispered in her ear. She nodded as her brother left. Amber knew where this was going.

"You're leaving too?" Amber asked, although she knew the answer.

"Sorry, but I promise I'll catch up with unnies later!" She said and hastily picked up her tray and ran toward the football team's table. Luna's eye had a sign of regret. Amber saw it, but said nothing.

 

By this time, Luna had finished her whole pizza.

 

"Is that Donghae?" Luna pointed. Amber looked in the direction she was pointing at. And sure enough, there was Krystal, chatting and laughing with Donghae. Amber continued eating.

 

"Yeah, he talked to her again during her design class." Amber said. Of course, Krystal would lie about going to the restroom to talk to her first love.

"Whatever, let her do what she wants." Luna rolled her eyes and took a sip of her apple juice. But Amber knew that, that wasn't what Luna wanted. Luna really cared, and Amber knew it.

 

"Hey, Amber!" Amber looked up at the table calling her. It was full of the basketball players. They were holding up a basketball jersey with a number 25 and her name on it. She was about to smile when she thought of Luna. Her attention turned back to Luna. If she left now, Luna would be alone.

 

"Go on." Luna sighed and set down her apple juice.

"Are you sure?" Amber raised her eyebrows. Luna nodded and gestured her to leave. Amber picked up her tray and walked towards the basketball players. She waved as they made room for her to sit. Amber sat down and glanced back at Luna, who was sitting alone. She regretted leaving her, but she had to. This was her only choice. She didn't want to let her down.

 

She would make it up to Luna somehow someway, she promised herself.
 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» I'm sorry for leaving Luna alone.