Congratulations, pumpkin!

Atten...tion!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Part Twenty Seven


“... It’s funny because my mom just promised me money if I passed the Academy. That was true, I never really thought of entering Military School until I was graduating from high school.

I thought this was just same as other schools, other courses.

At first, I didn’t understand the obligations of soldiers until I was sent out in the field for training exercises.

I wounded my friends, smiled with them, risked my life for people I don’t know. I held guns and bombs, flew planes... things I never imagined being real. That was when it dawned to me, it is real.

Despite this all, I know that being a soldier is not just about the integrity and honour. It’s not just about serving and risking. It is not about being a man in uniform.

Being a soldier is always and would forever be, being a friend.

I'm sorry if I'm not a very good speaker, but all I can say is that, for everyone, friendship would always be the foundation of a good soldier. Trust, love, and care would always keep us going. Look around you and see that before serving, before mandating, before helping, you'll let the light of friendship and care bloom above all.

I guess, that’s all I really want to say. Thank you so much and congratulations to us all."


There was applause around the grandstand and Sungmin joined in. His own speech has ended earlier and he was glad that this was over.


"Air Force Cadets!" The cadet at the podium called. Everyone stood.


"ATTEN...TION!" He saluted, and Sungmin and everyone else followed suit. He smiled before jumping in joy.


"Congratulations, friends. We did it!"


Everyone was congratulating the other. Ryeowook had crushed his bones into a hug and his other friends had tapped him a nod and a smile of happy returns. He finished second highest in the Air force. He passed everything with remarkable marks and despite this, Sungmin didn't anymore feel bitter. Being number one was his goal, but this time around, he really didn't care.


A warm hand wrapped around his wrist and he was suddenly being pulled away from the crowd. He looked at the taller cadet, no, soldier in front of him and he smiled.


He had never managed to tell Kyuhyun about his feelings. Almost five more days passed after the successful flight drill and he wasn't able to pluck up the courage to confess. Kyuhyun had kissed him, hugged him, and tackled him all over but he still didn't give in. He was scared and he didn't really know why. But maybe, graduation was the best time.


"Mom, it's him." Kyuhyun spoke, making him jump. And the next thing Sungmin knew, he was being introduced to a kind-looking and gorgeous woman.


"You're Sungmin! My, you're adorable and you must be a very good cadet. I heard your father's a good soldier too."


Sungmin blushed at the compliment. "Kyuhyun finished first in our Class ma'am. He'll be a better soldier." She let out a soft 'aw' before grabbing Sungmin for a hug, crumpling his uniform more than Ryeowook could. Kyuhyun’s mother is just like him.


"Mom, pumpkin's gonna get squished. He needs to go back to his family first." Kyuhyun pulled him out and smiled at him.


Sungmin almost cursed. The after party was scheduled soon and he would be awarded loyalty award and leadership award with the other commanders. How can he confess to Kyuhyun now? The day after tomorrow, they'll leave camp and Sungmin would never have the time. He pouted. Why was he suddenly being a scaredy cat?


"Kyu...." He called.


"Yes, pumpkin?"


"You'll be at my awarding ceremony at the party right?"


"Never miss it for the world, pumpkin."



*


"Cadet Officer Lee Sungmin, First Lieutenant"


Sungmin stepped on the stage. His father and mother were behind him as the Chief of Staff nodded at them.


A ribbon was pinned on his left chest, and then on his shoulders were new insignia. He smiled as he saluted. They were never allowed to smile when they salute to superiors but this an exception.


"I'm so proud of you, son." He heard his father murmur as they step off the stage. Sungmin swore there were tears forming at the back of his eyes. All he could do was to hug his father and his mother. He didn't expect that he would be this happy.


Everything just went well and everyone is just plain glad. It was a good day.


The dinner went fast and the next thing Sungmin knew was he was at the ballroom hall with the rest of the graduates. He took a sip of the wine offered to him and he liked the warmth that crawled down his throat. It would probably nice to spend a ‘wine night’ with Kyuhyun.


He gasped. Kyuhyun. He needed to find the boy.


"Minnie hyung!"


It was Ryeowook and Sungmin had the urge to run away. He needed to find Kyuhyun. Unfortunately, as soon as he was at arm's length away, the younger cadet had grabbed his wrist and pulled him to who knows where. Wookie didn't say anything but he was pus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter