"Pumpkin... this is where we first met."

Atten...tion!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part Fourteen


Sungmin fiddled with his hands as he stepped out of their house. His mother and father had left earlier to do some Christmas shopping and his brother is, as usual, missing in action. He had missed their neighborhood so much. Surely, being in a military family has its perks as their house was settled on one of the richest part of town. He could see the opposite houses lined with lights and beautiful lanterns; their house was no less decorated as beautiful stars glittered in the late afternoon. He smiled.


Three Christmases in the Academy surely made him homesick of the beautiful atmosphere in their place.


It was nice that their father was at home as well. He would usually be out on duty during the holidays. His fourth year had a good timing.


He decided to go to a nearby grocery and buy some stuff for baking. Contrary to popular belief, cadets and soldiers do the best cooking. They are more precise in measurements and tastes, which makes them very good cooks. He smiled as he remembered Ryeowook who's probably grocery stores and their home kitchen. It was something everyone missed.


Halfway through his walk, he stopped when he saw the familiar playground. Sungmin remembered being there once or twice but he never really had the opportunity to play there.


"Ah...memories." Sungmin felt the chill crawl up his spine as he continued walking to the bus stop. He pocketed his hands, only to feel his cell phone. Being without a mobile device for almost four years made him forget he has one.


He pulled out the device and suddenly remembered something. He frowned.


Pouting, he shook his head. He had been debating calling Kyuhyun ever since he arrived home three days ago. He wanted to ask the young cadet how his vacation was so far. He wanted to ask if his mother is okay, he wanted to ask if he’s okay. He... Sungmin shook his head, scrolling to Kyuhyun’s name in the contact list.


Ryeowook had been ogling him ever since he asked for the younger’s address and the noisy cadet could only give him a number. He bit his lip.


“Maybe it won’t hurt.” He spoke softly as he crossed the street and finally pressed that green button he’s been itching to press.


He was a few blocks from the grocery store when the ringing stopped and a soft, “hello” echoed from the device.


Sungmin didn't realize he missed Kyuhyun’s voice. The younger was not good with command drills because he has a husky tone but… he didn't know his voice was this damn good over the phone.


He felt his cheeks heat up. What was he thinking? Stupid mind…


“Kyuhyun!” His voice was higher than usual and he want to smack himself for acting such a girl. He stopped beside a fire hydrant. He stared at the yellow thing, finding it stunning as he waited for the younger to answer. The memories of the damn ball flooded his mind. His heart started beating so loud, hoping that the thuds won't reach the other line.


“Pumpkin?”


“Yes.”


“Wow! Pumpkin! You’re calling me!” There was an obvious glee in Kyuhyun’s tone. “How… how are you? How did you get my number? I missed you, pumpkin!”


Sungmin felt his chest hammer as Kyuhyun babbled questions and he found himself smiling.


“I was worried about you. I heard about your mom and well… uhm.. How are you?”


“I’m okay. Mom’s okay. Sorry for leaving you just like that. I’m okay, pumpkin. I was coming over your place to visit you!”


Sungmin panicked at the pronouncement. Kyuhyun can’t be serious right? Well, he doesn't even know where he lives. Stupid weird Kyuhyun.


He laughed quietly. “Nice try, Cadet Cho.”


There was silence behind the line, only soft shuffling and then, Kyuhyun spoke: “Well, if you turn around, you’ll know though.” There it was again, the gentle mocking tone. He snickered.


Nevertheless, Sungmin turned, as if expecting to see Kyuhyun there. He can’t be serious right?


His cell phone made a soft thud on the snow and Kyuhyun was walking towards him. Sungmin wanted to shout, to kick anything and to flip everything when Kyuhyun's face dawned to him, a silly smile plastered on his face.


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter