Hope(less)

You are the Key to my Heart

There were a few seconds of silence but to Tiffany it felt like eons as she studied Taeyeon whose face was suddenly drained of all colour. She rubbed her hands together in a pretense of warming her hands although it was more to conceal the worries racing about in her mind.

“I’m sorry?” said Taeyeon feeling a knot of confusion and insecurity bundling in her chest. 

Tiffany reached out to clasp Taeyeon’s hand but Taeyeon flinched away, fear running in her eyes, so Tiffany put her hands back on her lap and sighed, “What I’m saying is the truth. It might take some time for you to process this but…”

Taeyeon immediately shifted away from Tiffany and cut in with an expressionless face, “Look… I don’t know what you want from me but as far as my memory goes, I don’t ever remember us being lovers.”

Tiffany nodded in understanding, “I know that… you were in an accident and you lost a part of your memory which contained me… well us. If you could just give me a chance to become close to you and we might…”

Taeyeon stood up, a mixture of distrust and fear flaring in her eyes, “I’ve never been told I lost my memory, not by my parents or neighbours or friends. They are the ones that I’ve known for a long time and I can trust them. And you! Who are you? I just met you today! Are you making up a story? You know, I actually started trusting you and opened myself up to you this afternoon, but now with all you’ve said about us knowing each other and being lovers, I don’t know what to think anymore. Why do you want to be with me anyways? I don’t have a lot of wealth, I’m not famous or popular or anything like that. You don’t even know me! You don’t even know what I’m like so how can you say you love me? Or are you one of those people who like playing with other’s feelings, get them to fall in love with you and then break their hearts? I don’t know what your intention is, but I’m telling you this now, stay away from me!”

With that said, Taeyeon ran away like a rabbit with a fox hot on its heels.

Tiffany felt as if all the hope that had slowly but steadily been blossoming inside her like a flower all afternoon had been razed to the ground in an instant. She realized it was hopeless to follow after Taeyeon. Feeling a dark abyss open up inside her heart, she curled herself up in a ball and cried bitterly, tears from her swollen and red eyes running down her cheeks in streams.

I was so stupid to think she could love me back, that we could have another chance to be together again. Now she hates me. Seeing her so angry and fearful of me just breaks my heart even more. For your sake, TaeTae, I’ll stay away from you. I don’t want to make you angry or sad or confused. You won’t see me anymore.

*

Meanwhile, the three other members were sitting on a grassy flat surrounding a checkered tablecloth packed with picnic food.

“Do you think it will work?” questioned Jessica in an anxious voice. She had really wanted to go after Tiffany and see whether things would work out between the two of them but the other two members had dragged her off, saying that Tiffany and Taeyeon needed their privacy.

“We can just hope for the best,” answered the others in unison.

She gave a small nod but was unable to curb the overwhelming feeling that all was not going to go to plan. It seemed that someone had been able to read her thoughts because Sooyoung flashed her a small yet genuine smile and placed a warm hand over hers as if giving her some reassurance. Jessica returned the gesture and gave Sooyoung’s hand a gentle squeeze.  

Ignoring the other two, Yoona cheered enthusiastically as she clutched a spoon in her hands, eyeing the platters of food before her intently with her wide doe eyes as if she were able to satisfy her hunger just by looking at the food. It seemed that when it came to food, Yoona was in a better mood, although she did look a lot happier than she did at previous meals.

Jessica gave a small giggle as she watched Yoona munch happily into a bun and nudged Sooyoung who was preoccupied with Jessica’s hand on hers, “Look! Seems like food makes Yoona so much happier. Isn’t that good?”

However, she received no reply from the younger girl and the warmth on her hand disappeared.

It was only seconds later she heard a shocked gasp as Sooyoung screeched with mock indignation, “Did you just start eating without me? Yah! Why are you stuffing so much food in your mouth? Do you want me to starve?”

Yoona just stuck her tongue out in response to which Sooyoung responded with a look of disbelief as she muttered underneath her breath something about Yoona been both a greedy and insolent little kid.

Jessica chuckled and shook her head at her adorable love.

I can’t help but love her despite her childish ways.

Reaching out to take a rice ball, she stuffed it into Sooyoung’s mouth to stop her from rambling on and on about food.

Sooyoung felt her heart skip a few beats and warmth make its way to her cheeks as Jessica’s slender fingers pushed a rice ball into . She turned to the older girl with wide eyes as she chewed.

Jessica smiled, “Does it taste good?”

Sooyoung nodded furiously.

Of course it tastes good. Anything you feed me will taste good. Unless it’s something you have cooked perhaps.

As the three of them tucked into their picnic lunch, Yoona suddenly looked up at the other two and cleared , “Do you know why Seohyun left earlier in such a rush?”

Jessica shook her head, “I’m not too sure. She said she needed to go back to the dorm for some reason.”

Yoona gave a nod in response.

Sooyoung mumbled, “Probably for her Hyoyeonie”

Jessica raised an eyebrow, “What did you say?”

Sooyoung raised both her hands in the air, “N…n…othing” she stuttered before turning her attention to the plate of kimchi beside her.

Jessica tightened her lips but didn’t say anything.

The rest of the picnic passed by uneventfully except for the frequent bickering over food between the two shikshins not that Jessica really minded. It just made her fonder of the two of them. Ever since things had started going wrong, with members getting hurt both physically and emotionally and some even leaving, she had been treasuring the ‘normal’ moments more and more.

Sooyoung wriggled closer to Jessica after allowing Yoona to have the last sweet and wrapped her arms around the older girl.

Jessica felt a jolt passing through her body but she felt extremely comfortable and warm in Sooyoung’s arms so she laid her head on Sooyoung’s shoulder.

Her shoulder is the perfect height for my head-rest.

Soon, her eyes started to droop, after the effects of all the good food, surrounded by people she loved and the lazy afternoon sunshine. It was not long before Jessica succumbed to sleep.

Sooyoung gently smiled at the girl and delicately brushed the bangs from her eyes. She laid down on the grass, still keeping Jessica’s head on her shoulder and watched as the dappled shade danced in the golden glow of the sun. It was not long before she felt something else soft on her other shoulder and looked down to see Yoona snuggling up beside her. Sooyoung passed a sweet gaze upon the two sleeping on her shoulder and it felt as if a flower tree had blossomed inside of her. It was not long before she too joined the other two in dreamland.

*

Seohyun gripped the steering wheel tightly as she made the long trip back to the dorm, her eyes occasionally flicking to her mobile phone which showed no missed calls or messages.

That’s really strange. I would have expected Hyoyeon to call or at least send a message to say that she’s back. I really hope she hasn’t gotten into trouble.

Trying to calm herself from excessive worrying, she focused her eyes on the road ahead, trying to get back to the dorm as quickly as legally possible.

*

Hyoyeon decided that if she was going to get hurt to protect the one she loved with all her heart, she might as well be brave and not turn away. Glaring back into her attacker’s eyes, she braced herself for the pain the knife would bring but it never came.

There was a series of rapid knocks on the door to which Yuri’s brother responded to by growling, “Come in”

A lanky man stepped in, his eyes darting about like a sparrow hopping from tree to tree.

Hyoyeon could see the fear through every movement of his body, in fact, it radiated off him in massive waves. As much as she felt pity for the man, she was thankful for the slight distraction.

The man tip-toed up to whisper something to Yuri’s brother and an almost unidentifiable expression passed over his face for a split second before his stone-cold face returned. This was not unnoticed by Hyoyeon.

Yuri’s brother dismissed the other man and slipping the knife back into his belt, he strided towards the door. Before closing the door, he turned back and gave a malicious glare to Hyoyeon, “I will be back.”

Hyoyeon felt chills up her spine at his words but she hid it and returned his glare with a frosty one.

As the door slammed shut, she looked over to Sunny who still had her eyes closed and was not moving.

“Sunny! Sunny!” she called in loud whispers but received no response.

Hyoyeon felt the fear build in her but it eased slightly as she saw Sunny’s body rise and fall slightly with her breaths.

Letting out a forlorn sigh, Hyoyeon looked up at the ceiling of the room to see a blinking red light in one of the corners. It seemed as though they were being watched.

I guess Sunny’s just unconscious. I just hope it stays that way so she’ll be able to escape harm.

Feeling weak as her stomach let out a rumble of hunger, she decided to lay down on the stone floor and close her eyes. Even though, Hyoyeon could shut out the world outside of her, one scene flashed continuously in her mind, the expression that passed on the face of Yuri’s brother was something familiar although she couldn’t quite put her finger on what it was.

Draped in her thoughts, Hyoyeon gradually fell asleep on the icy coldness of the floor.

*

Donghae was sitting on the bed, head buried in his hands as he struggled with his thoughts.

All of a sudden, a loud bang shook him out of his reverie.

Eyes darting forwards, his jaw loosened as he saw a broad figure make his way into the room. It was Yuri’s brother.

Standing up, he muttered a soft thank you before looking down at his feet. Standing in front of Yuri’s brother was always a nerve-wracking experience and he didn’t feel any better by the fact that a large shadow was now looming over his body.

He flinched as he felt a cold finger under his chin which tilted his head up so he was staring right into those dark eyes that seemed as though they could pierce through his soul as easily as a knife slices through a flower petal. Yet, Donghae felt mesmerised by those dangerous eyes, the same eyes which had mercilessly beheld the injury and death of many.

“Never do that again” came the hoarse demand and Donghae’s chest tightened in fear as he saw fury dancing in those eyes.

Donghae let out a small squeak and gave a timid nod, deciding it was better to be submissive and agree even though he wasn’t certain what ‘that’ was.

Yuri’s brother stepped back a couple of paces and paused, “Breakfast will be served to you soon” and with those words, he turned around and walked out the door.

Donghae listened to the heavy footsteps fading into the distance as his heartbeat decelerated. He felt thankful that all he had received were several angry words, after all, he had seen others suffer a lot worse.

*

Seohyun stumbled into the dorm and she scanned her eyes across the rooms to see no one in sight.

“Hyoyeon? Unnie? Hyoyeonie? Sunny?” she called out to no response.

Her voice sounded desolate in the emptiness of the dorm. Feeling the knot in her stomach grow tighter, she slumped down on one of the kitchen chairs and dialled Hyoyeon’s number and then Sunny’s only to receive the robotic sounding reply that the person you have dialled is unavailable.

Biting her lip, she anxiously dialled in a number, it was her last resort. It seemed to take ages before the other person picked up the phone.

“Hello?” questioned a female voice.

“Hyomin unnie!” greeted Seohyun in relief, “It’s me Seohyun,”

Hyomin’s voice immediately brightened, “Oh, hi Seohyun! Why did you call?”

Seohyun fidgeted with her fingers, “Have you seen Sunny recently?”

“No, why do you ask?” replied Hyomin.

Seohyun continued to chew on her lip and explained briefly to Hyomin how Hyoyeon and Sunny had gone out to deal with Donghae who had tried to molest her last night but had not come back and how she feared they were in trouble.

Hyomin’s voice immediately turned cold, as she said, “I’ll come right over” before she hung up.

Seohyun let out a sigh as she waited for Hyomin to arrive and found herself biting her lip in her nervousness yet again. She mentally reprimanded herself for such a bad habit but she was unable to stop as her heart continued flipping in anxiety.

It was not long before she heard several knocks on the door and she quickly shuffled to the door to welcome Hyomin but when she opened the door she saw nobody in sight even as she swept her eyes over all the possible hiding places nearby. Just as she was about to close the door, thinking it must be a prank, she saw something on the doormat that made her breath hitch in . 

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Hello my wonderful readers, 

This is a sad chapter for a lot of the characters in the story and things will definitely get worse before they get better. Soosica and Yoona are still in their bubble of a world and are oblivious to all of the drama occuring around them although they will find out soon. Did any of you expect Taeyeon to react like that? And what did Seohyun see on the doormat? You can try and guess what it might be. 

Thank you again for all of your support♥ I would be delighted to see your comments for this chapter so please leave them below. Until next time, bye bye and have a great week!