Messages I

You are the Key to my Heart

 

Hello my readers!

 

I just can't say how sorry I am for not updating for such a long time. Some things popped up and I've been crazily busy for the past month. Now that everything is back under control, I am able to update regularly again:D Thank you to all my subscribers who've stayed loyal to me, I am very touched. And to any who have unsubscribed, no hard feelings because I understand that subscribing to a story that isn't being updated sometimes seems pointless. I just hope that you will continue to read this story.

 

I've split this chapter into two parts to sort of keep the suspense going and to make sure that not too much action is present in one chapter. Things might be moving a bit fast in these two chapters. I will update the second part in around two days so Iook forward to that.

 

Until then, thank you and goodbye! Hope you enjoy this chapter and it would be lovely if you could make a comment♥

 

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

 

Both Taeyeon and Sooyoung frowned, the masculine voice sounded strangely familiar.

 

“Who are you?” questioned Sooyoung.

 

The person laughed, “You shall soon see.”

 

Taeyeon slowly moved closer to the voice.

 

Sooyoung didn’t have any idea where Taeyeon was and what she was doing but she concluded that her silence meant she was up to something.

 

“What do you want from us?” she asked, trying to buy Taeyeon time for whatever she was doing.

 

“It is very obvious, don’t you think Sooyoung?” drawled the voice as he silently drew out a blade from his belt.

 

Meanwhile Taeyeon stepped closer to the voice, holding her breath. She was scared that she might step or trip over something and make a noise. If she did, there was little chance of them escaping.

 

“How do you know my name?” demanded Sooyoung. Each second that passed by felt like an eternity.

 

A malicious smile spread over the person’s face, “I have my ways Sooyoung. Now where’s that…”

 

“Well, I still want to know what you are going to do. It might be obvious to you, but not to me!” yelled Sooyoung, trying to calm her pounding heart. I have to make sure he doesn’t mention Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon’s breath hitched in when the person began to ask the question. She knew what he was going to say. He knows I’m here, somewhere. That is not good. She was so close to the person she could feel the heat radiating from their body. Or am I just imagining things?

 

The person readjusted their grip on the blade, turning it at an angle.

 

“I’m sure that deep down you know what we want from you. You can’t hide it. I can tell you’re lying.” replied the person with a sardonic voice.

 

Sooyoung hit back a fierce retort, “I have no idea what you are talking about! Me? Lie? Do you not understand what I’m saying? I want you to tell me directly what you want from us!”

 

“Feisty,” a dry chuckle escaped the lips of the person, running a finger down the cruel sharpness of the blade, “I like feisty girls. As I was saying before you rudely interrupted me…”

 

Taeyeon took that opportunity to strike.

 

*

 

Tiffany woke up, she felt as if she had just had a very long, uninterrupted sleep. When was the last time that happened?

 

But she was not in the warmth of her bed, instead lying on the cold, damp concrete. Lifting her head up, she blinked rapidly as her eyes tried to adjust to the darkness. She realised she was in a cage, suspended over an expanse of murky water which eddied and swirled. Tiffany wrinkled her nose at the dank smell. She saw Jessica lying motionless on the floor of the cage beside her.

 

She tried to stand up but realised her feet were shackled to the ground and she could hardly step anywhere. Reaching out with her hand, she shook Jessica.

 

There was no response.

 

She tried again, only more vigorously.

 

Such a sleepyhead. Even if there’s a parade going on, I’m sure she could sleep through that.

 

Tiffany let out a sigh, drawing her knees up to her chin and looked at the water with trepidation as bubbles began to creep to the surface and ripples began to form. Are we ever going to make it out of here alive?

 

A little black device fixed to the top corner of the cage rotated in its socket.

 

*

 

Taeyeon pounced on the person and punched them, powered by the anger at the kidnapping of her Fany. The person reacted quickly and forcibly pushed her towards the ground. She winced at the impact and when the moonlight flashed through the window, she saw the glint of a knife. Panic rose through her and the blood pumped in her veins. Am I going to die?

 

Meanwhile, Sooyoung fumbled for her phone. When she managed to grab hold of it, she looked through her apps and pressed torch.

 

As the bright light lit up the room, Sooyoung almost dropped her phone in shock. The back of the person was facing her, so she couldn’t see who it was but she saw the shadow of the person looming over Taeyeon with a knife in their hand.

 

As she approached with the light, she heard the person mutter a curse before quickly running out the door.

 

Sooyoung ran to Taeyeon who was cowering with her eyes closed. Taeyeon jumped at Sooyoung’s touch.

 

“Taeyeon, it’s me Sooyoung. The person’s gone now.” spoke Sooyoung comfortingly.

 

Taeyeon opened one eye and looked around suspiciously before opening the other.

 

She dusted herself off and tried to look calm.

 

“Could you give me the torch Sooyoung?” she asked.

 

Sooyoung hurriedly handed it to her.

 

Taeyeon searched amongst the debris on the floor until she saw the piece of paper she had been reaching for before the lights went out.

 

With trembling hands, she opened it. Sooyoung peered curiously over her shoulder.

 

What runs but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps? If you seek the ice mushroom go there at the ninth hour tomorrow.

 

Taeyeon looked at Sooyoung, puzzlement written on her face.

 

“Do you understand that?” she asked.

 

Sooyoung scratched her head, “No, why would anyone look for an ice mushroom? Does that even exist? And how is this even related to Sica or Tiffany?”

 

Taeyeon shrugged, “Does the ninth hour mean 9 o’clock?”

 

Sooyoung ruffled her hair carelessly, “But we don’t usually say ninth hour as 9 o’clock. Even so, would it be in the morning or at night?”

 

Taeyeon sighed, “I don’t know. And it’s getting late. Maybe we should go to sleep…”

 

“Sleep?” Sooyoung almost screamed in disbelief.

 

Taeyeon winced.

 

“That man just then wanted to kill us…”

 

Taeyeon interrupted, “Maybe not…”

 

Sooyoung’s eyes flashed wildly, “Well, maybe not something that violent, but he wanted us. He had a knife. He could have injured us and even killed us. I think it’s something to do with Sica and Tiffany.”

 

Taeyeon twitched thoughtfully, “I suppose you have a point there. Right before the lights went out, I was reaching for this piece of paper. I’m not sure whether it was meant to coincide with that though. But!”

 

Taeyeon held up a hand for emphasis.

 

“We don’t have the energy to do anything without sleep. We can’t figure out the message on the paper. After we sleep, we might understand what it’s trying to say.”

 

Sooyoung pouted, “But Sica and Tiffany! What if they’re in great danger? We need to do something…”

 

Taeyeon pushed her in the direction of the door, “After we sleep giant.”

 

*

Yoona groggily opened her eyes. Where am I?

 

Then she remembered, she was at the hospital.

 

She saw Sunny sitting in a chair next to the bed, her eyes closed and making those alien noises. At least some of the members are kind enough to look over me.

 

Yoona pouted when she thought of Yuri. Why didn’t she come? She glanced at the clock, it was 3am.

 

Then she heard the click of high heels in the corridor.

 

Who would be here at this time? Yoona fidgeted nervously.

 

The doorknob turned.

 

Yoona’s heart pounded in her chest. What if it’s a … don’t even think about that Yoona.

 

The door opened slightly.

 

The hairs on the back of Yoona’s neck prickled.

 

A foot sporting a black pump appeared.

 

Yoona closed her eyes, pretending to be asleep.

 

As the footsteps came closer, Yoona held her breath.

 

She heard a soft laugh.

 

“I can tell you’re awake” said a voice like honey. Sweet, melting honey. The voice she had missed so much.

 

“Yuri!” she beamed.

 

Yuri laughed again.

 

“Yes, it’s me. I’m so sorry I couldn’t come and visit…”

 

Oof!

 

Yoona locked her arms around the older girl, almost squeezing all the breath from her lungs. 

 

Yuri smiled as the younger girl hugged her tightly, although her eyes darted around the room.

 

Yoona jumped at a tap on her shoulder and saw Sunny giving her a knowing smile.

 

“You might want to let go of her if you want her to stay alive.” she joked.

 

Yoona hurriedly released her arms from Yuri whose face had started to go a slight shade of blue.

 

Sunny hid her smile as Yoona gazed bashfully at the ground and Yuri smoothed her hair.

 

“I’m going to get something to eat. Have fun the both of you!” sang Sunny as she skipped out the door.

 

Both of them sneaked a look at each other secretly, but then quickly averted their eyes.

 

Yoona silently wished that one of the other members was there to break up the awkwardness between them both. I don’t want to say. Should I ask why she hasn’t kept her promise? But that would be a bad way to start a conversation. Maybe I should go for something more cheerful, more happier…

 

Yuri shifted her weight from one foot to the other.

 

“I brought something,” she began.

 

Yoona looked interested, “What?” she asked playfully.

 

“A movie…” Yuri continued.

 

Yoona sat up from her bed, “Which one?”

 

Yuri smiled sheepishly, “Mother”

 

Yoona immediately started rolling around in laughter.

 

Yuri pouted a little, “It’s not that funny! Maybe I did fall asleep during the middle of it when we first watched it but…”

 

“It’s your favourite movie?” said Yoona through her laughter.

 

“Yes, it is…” replied Yuri.

 

Yoona fell into uncontrollable laughter again, “When you only watched the first and last 10 minutes!”

 

“So appreciative” grumbled Yuri.

 

“I do appreciate it” giggled Yoona, “It’s just that it’s hilarious!”

 

Yuri pulled a mock sad face and put the disk into the DVD player.

 

“Let’s watch.” she cheered enthusiastically.

 

Yoona smiled, a warm feeling enveloping her body as Yuri pulled her close, “Just promise you won’t fall asleep this time.”

 

Yuri smiled back, “I won’t”

 

*

 

There were 6 clicks as a gloved hand inserted bullets into the revolver.

 

A deep male voice boomed around the room, “You didn’t get them?”

 

After a few scuffles and a faint clearing of the throat came the reply, “No Sir, I didn’t get them.”   

 

The other man sniffed and imperiously waved his hand in the direction of the door, “You’re dismissed. I will call you again when I need you.”

 

The man’s lips curved into a smile, he gave a full bow and shuffled out of the room.

 

There was a burst of light in the room as the man lit his cigarette and opened a window, stony eyes, devoid of emotion looking out into the cold night sky. Tendrils of smoke spiralled down towards the deserted streets below.

 

“I hoped to get you” he hissed, running his hand down the sleek back revolver.

 

“But I guess it will be more fun this way,” he chuckled, “The game begins!”

 

He spun the revolver quickly, pulling on the trigger and released a bullet into the air where it struck an unsuspecting owl. The bird plummeted to the ground, making a dull thud on the impact, its globes of alabaster staring up at the dark sky.

 

The man crowed with laughter at the sight, teeth gleaming white in the moonlight.