Problems

You are the Key to my Heart

 

Yoona inhaled the cold night air through her nose, she had been walking around for at least one hour but she had not seen Yuri. Would she be back at the dorm by now? Her ankle was giving her unbearable pain and the clothes she was wearing did little to protect her against the biting cold of the wind. Yoona stood up from the lamppost with great difficulty and looked around, trying to find her whereabouts. But her head spun and her vision blurred so she could hardly see anything. She felt faint and light as she staggered around blindly, trying to find the lamppost she was holding onto before. Yoona could only feel empty air in her hands. She quickly lost the strength in her legs and fell into the darkness. The last thought that passed through her mind before everything went black was Yuri, where are you?

 

*

 

Sooyoung tried very hard to not look awkward as she walked aimlessly through the room, avoiding Yuri’s bed which Jessica was sitting on. Why on earth did she agree to let Jessica sleep in the same room as her? It was only going to make things harder.

 

“Sooyoung…”

 

Sooyoung whirled her head around quickly, “Yes?”

 

Jessica looked at her with faint amusement, “What are you doing?”

 

Sooyoung fidgeted nervously, “I’m exercising.”

 

Jessica looked confused, “But you’ve just been slowly walking around the room for the past 30 minutes, looking like you’re thinking about something very important.”

 

Sooyoung turned a slight shade of pink, “Um…” Her tongue felt tied.

 

Jessica’s eyes looked at her tenderly, “If there’s something bothering you, you should tell me. It’s what we’ve always done.”

 

her dry lips, Sooyoung shook her head, “You shouldn’t be concerned about it. It’s nothing you need to know about.”

 

Jessica tried to hide the pain, “But we, used to always tell each other everything. Any of our problems. And we would try to fix them together. But then… something happened. Now, we’re hardly together, we hardly talk, we’ve drifted apart so much.”

 

Sooyoung looked at the ground, “Well, things happen, people drift apart, people become closer.  It’s just life.” Her statement sounded weak and unfinished.

 

Jessica’s voice was a whisper as she tried to hold back her tears, “Youngie, what happened to us? Why can’t we go back to how things used to be?”

 

Sooyoung froze when Jessica called her by Youngie, the nickname she had given to her. She turned around quickly and said in a hoarse voice, “We can’t go back…”

 

Sooyoung strode out of the room, shutting the door as she tried to hide her tears from Jessica. If only you knew how much I wished we could go back to how things used to be. But that’s not possible now. I hope you can forgive me Sica, for causing you so much pain.

 

Jessica sat on the bed, listening to her sobs echo in the lonely room. Youngie, I wish you could tell me the reason you left me.

 

*

 

Seohyun gently removed Taeyeon’s head from her shoulder and placed it on a big cushion. Taeyeon was still sleeping, making little snoring sounds. She tiptoed out of the living room and to her own bedroom. The lights in the corridor were not and as Seohyun crept to her room, her head collided into something… or someone.

 

Seohyun rubbed her head, which eased a little of the pain.

 

“I’m so sorry! Are you alright?” asked a concerned voice from the dark.

 

Seohyun was so nervous she squeaked a quick yes and ran to her room. Unfortunately she did not know that Yoona had moved a table in front of the door to their room.

 

Ow!

 

Seohyun felt herself falling backwards and heard the flower vase rolling off the table.

 

Could this get any worse?

 

*

 

Yuri was returning from her walk to the Han River. She opened her umbrella as the first drops of rain began to fall. Thunder rumbled and lightning flashed across the sky. Seems like there’s going to be a big storm tonight.

 

As she walked back to the dorm she saw a mass of people crowding around. She curiously approached them and as she did she heard the voices.

 

“Who is that girl?”

 

“She’s very pretty.”

 

“Such as pretty, young girl shouldn’t be walking alone in the middle of the night.”

 

“Wait, isn’t that Yoona, Im Yoona?”

 

“Im Yoona from SNSD?”

 

“I think so.”

 

“What should we do with her?”

 

Yuri felt fear clamp down on her. Why is Yoona walking around in the middle of the night, especially with a badly sprained ankle?

 

She let her umbrella fall to the ground as she anxiously pushed her way through the crowd of people to the very front. Lying on the cold concrete was Yoona. Her face was deathly pale and her ankle had swollen up again. But what drew Yuri’s attention the most was the trickle of blood running down Yoona’s face. Immediately, Yuri kneeled down and picked Yoona up in her arms, ignoring the loud protests of the crowd. Then she quickly ran to the nearest hospital, desperately hoping that Yoona would be alright.

 

*

 

Before Seohyun touched the ground, she felt a strong arm wrap around her waist and pull her back up. She heard the person put the flower vase back on the table.

 

The voice sounded quite amused, “Are you sure you’re alright?”

 

Then, the lights went on.

 

Seohyun blinked rapidly as her eyes adjusted to the brightness. I should probably get out of here before Hyoyeon realises it’s me.

 

But it was too late.

 

Hyoyeon stood there, unsuccessfully trying to hide her surprised expression.

 

Seohyun blushed slightly before bowing, “Thanks for catching me. I’m sorry about causing so much trouble for you. I should probably go now.”

 

As she turned to leave, Hyoyeon caught her wrist, her thumb resting on Seohyun’s overactive pulse point.

 

Hyoyeon looked gently at Seohyun, “I haven’t seen your injuries. You might be badly hurt from crashing into me.”

 

Before Seohyun could move, Hyoyeon stepped closer and examined the taller girl’s head.

 

Seohyun felt like choking. She couldn’t breathe with Hyoyeon being so close. Why is she so sweet and caring to me all of a sudden? Does she feel guilty?

 

Hyoyeon stepped away, not removing her hand from her wrist, “It should be fine. Just a slight bruise.”

 

Seohyun turned her head, trying to hide her tears. It had been such a long time since Hyoyeon had last showed her caring side towards her.

 

Hyoyeon noticed the tears and tenderly wiped them away, “What’s wrong? Does it hurt a lot?”

 

She led Seohyun into the room and they sat on the bed together.

 

Hyoyeon pulled Seohyun closer to her, letting the maknae’s head rest on her shoulder as Seohyun cried.

 

Seohyun cried until she felt there were no more tears in her. She felt comforted with Hyoyeon’s arm wrapped around her waist and her head on Hyoyeon’s shoulder. The room was silent for some time.

 

“Why did you act so cold to me, before?” asked Seohyun in a small voice. She already knew the answer but she wanted to hear it from Hyoyeon’s mouth.

 

However, Hyoyeon turned her head away and indiscreetly wiped away her own tears.

 

“Is it because, of that night, you…” Seohyun questioned.

 

Hyoyeon cut her off, “That’s the past.” She tried to laugh but the laughter sounded strangled. “Let’s forget about it, alright? We can go back to how we were before that. If you want to…”

 

Seohyun nodded and wrapped her arms around Hyoyeon.

 

“I would like that very much.” she whispered, cheeks turning pink. I just wish I could tell you that I want more than that. But for now, healing our friendship is my first priority.

 

Hyoyeon let a small smile form on her lips.

 

“Thank you” she breathed.

 

Seohyun inhaled deeply, breathing in the achingly familiar scent of the older girl, the scent she had missed so much.

 

“Can you sleep with me tonight?” she asked.

 

Hyoyeon was unable to bring herself to refuse, “Ok”

 

Seohyun smiled as she snuggled her head into a more comfortable position on Hyoyeon’s shoulder and fell asleep.

 

Hyoyeon gave a sigh as she realised the maknae was already fast asleep. She managed to get into a comfortable position without disturbing the sleeping girl. Before she closed her eyes, Hyoyeon took another long look at the one she loved. You’re so beautiful, so perfect, even in your sleep. I hope we can move on from the past. Even though you might not love me in the way I love you, it’s good to have you back as a close friend. It’s been hard to be so cold to you for so long, but you hurt me a lot with your rejection and it took me a lot of time to heal, even now, my heart is still damaged. Hopefully you can forgive me for my actions these past few months. From now on, I’ll always be by your side. I’ll be your guardian angel for as long as I can…

 

*

 

Taeyeon woke with a sharp pain in her neck. She winced and got up, realising she had fallen asleep on a cushion while watching a movie. She looked at the clock, 2am. Seohyun must have gone to bed by now. She crept silently through the corridor to Tiffany’s old room where she would be sleeping for the night. Taeyeon opened the door to a sight which she had not expected.

 

The room was empty and the bed was untouched.

 

With confusion, she walked back to their current room which was in a state of disarray the last time she saw it. Maybe Fany cleaned up the room and is sleeping in there.

 

She turned the knob and turned the lights on. The room was still a mess and covered in feathers. Where would Fany be? It’s 2am in the morning so she couldn’t possibly be outside.

 

Taeyeon stood there, unsure of what to do. She didn’t want to wake the other members by asking them whether they had seen Tiffany. As she walked back to Tiffany’s old room, she heard sounds. She followed them until she came to Hyoyeon and Sunny’s room. Taeyeon pressed her ear to the door.

 

“Hey, Choi Sooyoung! What on earth are you doing here?”

 

“Sleeping.”

 

“Do you think I don’t know that? Why aren’t you in your own room?”

 

“Um… there were some problems.”

 

“What problems?”

 

“Well, Jessica was…”

 

“Was what?”

 

“We had some issues.”

 

“With?”

 

“It’s hard to be in the same room with her alone.”

 

“Why?”

 

There was silence.

 

Then Sooyoung spoke again, “Why aren’t you in your own room?”

 

“Because…”

 

Taeyeon heard sobbing and then the rustling of blanket covers and Sooyoung comforting the girl, “It’s ok, Tiffany. Don’t cry.”

 

Taeyeon froze, why was Tiffany sleeping in Hyoyeon and Sunny’s room and most importantly, why was she crying?

 

She quickly opened the door and the lights.

 

Tiffany blinked at the sudden brightness in the room.

 

“Tae…yeon” Tiffany glared daggers at Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon looked confused, Why was Tiffany so angry at her? Had she done anything wrong? It was never a good thing when Tiffany called her by Taeyeon with a glare.

 

Taeyeon stammered, “Why are you sleeping in this room?”

 

Tiffany gazed at Taeyeon coldly, “Don’t pretend you don’t know, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon knitted her eyebrows together, “What did I do…”

 

Tiffany shouted, “Get out of the room Taeyeon! Now!”

 

Taeyeon looked at her with puzzlement, “But…”

 

“Right now or else…” threatened Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon quickly scuttled out of the room. What did I do wrong?

 

BEEP

 

Taeyeon got out her phone and clicked on messages. When she read the text message, her face lost its colour and she bolted out of the house, grabbing her car keys on the way. 

 

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

 

Hello to all of my lovely readers, 

 

 

I think you now know who had been watching Taeyeon and Seohyun, which is now causing a big problem. And Yoona is now in hospital after passing out. More details will be revealed in the next chapter. 

 

Again, a huge thank you to all of my commenters, subscribers and readers. I really appreciate your support^^ Even though I didn't get 10 comments, it was close so this chapter is up earlier. Please continue with commenting, especially to all of my silent readers, reading through all of your comments really motivates me to write more.