be mine?

Happily Ever After?

 

 Once the morning came, Tao was up and ready to go to the hospital. As he walked to the hospital Tao began to notice everything on the streets was pink or red and everything was in the shape of a heart. He looked at his phone and checked the date to see that it was Valentine’s Day.  He doesn’t know how he let it slip his mind. When he was younger Valentine’s Day was his favorite holiday. He remembered asking Luhan to be his Valentine multiple times; he’d always say yes but only in a friend’s kind of way. Luhan was his valentine for 3 years in a row. This year he didn’t have one. He was okay with it. He was spending the day with Kris and that was enough for him. As he kept passing different shops that had special offers for Valentine’s Day, Tao began to wonder if he should ask Kris to be his valentine. He thought it was a good idea and walked into a shop that sold sweets including cake, chocolates, and different kinds of candy. He bought Kris a small cake that could be shared by just the two of them.  It was white cake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries put in between and they were covered in a white cream. The cake was in the shape of a heart with Strawberries lining the edge of cake. Once he bought the cake he went to a flower shop and picked up a bouquet of flowers but decided against roses since they were so generic. He instead laid his eyes upon purple irises. He found them beautiful with the solid dark blue or purple base as the color and then with yellow and white in the middle of the peddles. Once the flowers were paid for he was once again on his way to the hospital.

Once Tao got to the hospital one of the nurses that had been assisting Kris the day before was at the front desk that morning and smiled at Tao upon his arrival. She had filled out the wrist band for Tao without asking anything since they had gotten used to seeing each other they day before. Tao went up to Kris’ room and was happy to find out that he was the first one to be there. Kris was awake but was just sitting there on the bed not doing much. The TV was off and there was no music coming from anywhere. The room was completely silent until Tao walked in. the room came to life when Tao walked in. the sound of the paper that put around the flowers shifted and they sway of his jeans when he walked was also heard. Kris looked over at Tao and smiled. His smile wasn’t completely happy. But it was still a smile.

Tao set the flowers in an empty vase and set it amongst the multiple vases with different flowers that his friends had brought the day before. He set the cake on the little table that was meant for food. All the while Kris stared out of the window near his bed.

“Can you open the window?”

            The words came out of Kris’ mouth monotonously. There was no emotion in his voice almost as if any sort of emotion was drained out of him. Tao nodded and made his way over to the window and opened it fully. A cold breeze entered the room and Kris shivered at the sudden cold. Tao didn’t see it since his back was facing Kris at the moment. He did however hear Kris rustling in bed pulling up the covers to keep warm.

“Do you want me to close it? It’s cold out.”

“No, I just need fresh air. I don’t care if it’s cold. I’ll deal with it.”

            Tao then nodded and went over to where the box was with the cake and slowly took out the cake. He was grateful that the cake shop had provided him with a spatula to cut and serve the cake as well as small plates and forks. He cut out two pieces and put them on separate plates. He took one and gave it to Kris. Kris looked at it and took it hesitantly. Their fingers brushed against each other. Kris felt how soft Taos hands were and he liked the feel of it. They began to eat the cake in silence. They didn’t talk. They just sat there and ate their cake.

            The rest of the day went by pretty much silent. Words were hardly exchanged. The very few words that were exchanged were those of Kris asking Tao to close the window since it had started to Rain lightly. Other than that the only thing that they focused on was the TV placed opposite of the bed. The nurses would occasionally go in and do Kris’ checkup. When they walked in it was silence except for the TV. A variety show was and seeing that both Kris and Tao were staring directly at the TV they thought that they were simply engrossed by what was on TV. The rest of the guys went to visit Kris but this time with a lot less stuff. They walked in with some food and smiles. They didn’t stay long since Lay really wanted to go to a certain restaurant that had extremely spicy curry and he wanted to try it. When Kris heard that he simply laughed and told them to go since he’d been there and it was amazing and he didn’t want to keep them apart any longer. To which the others laughed. They left soon after and it was back down to just Kris and Tao. Kris’ parents called and told him that they couldn’t make it that day because they had to stay at work late. Kris understood and then told his parents it was okay.

            It was getting later in the day and Tao still hadn’t asked Kris to be his valentine even if the day was already half over he wanted to still ask him. He turned to Kris as Kris was flipping through the channels trying to find something else to watch. He reached out his hand towards Kris’ and held it. He expected Kris to pull away but instead hi hand was shifted into a way that Kris had intertwined their fingers. Tao looked at their hands and smiled. He looked up to look at Kris’ face and opened his mouth to speak.

“Kris?”

“Hm?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Can you look at me first. I don’t want to say this to you while you’re have listening.”

“What’s so important that I have to look away from the tv?”

“Well I-I-I just wanted to ask you, if you wanted to be my valentine?”

            Kris smiled as he held Taos hand in his and pulled Tao up from the chair and opened up the blanket to signal Tao to climb in with him. Tao smiled and climbed into bed alongside Kris. Kris let go of Taos hand and put it around his shoulder to cuddle with Tao since the bed was pretty small for two people.

“I’d love to be valentine.”

            Tao smiled and intertwined his hand with Kris’ hand that was around shoulder. He made the bold decision to kiss Kris hand to which he received a small chuckle. After he heard Kris chuckle he felt a pair of lips on his temple. After the little affection show a nurse walked in, the same nurse that talked to Kris the night before. She smiled at the two on the bed when she walked in. Kris responded to her smile and sent a smile towards her.

“Kris, you’re my valentine. You can’t outright be flirting with someone else.”

            The nurse laughed at Taos’ statement and so did Kris. Tao knew that Kris wasn’t actually flirting he knew that she was the nurse from the night before. He just wanted to tease Kris a little.

“I wasn’t flirting. It’s just a smile.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to flirt with your valentine. I’ll stop. But really I’m heartbroken that two such good looking men are each other’s valentine. It’s not fair for girls like me. I have to look at you two looking so good together and then go home and sit by myself.”

            The nurse played along and made dramatic movements with her hands. She pretended to cry by placing her arm over her eyes and let out and exasperated sigh and fake sobbed for a minute. Kris and Tao looked at her and started to laugh. The nurse then joined in on the laugher and got closer towards the bed that Kris and Tao were lying on.

“I’m sorry sir but I’m going to have to touch you valentine. He needs his checkup.”

“I’ll give you permission but only because he needs it.”

            The nurse then chuckled and proceeded with the regular checkup. She then told them that since Kris was recovering fast from the internal bruising he could leave Thursday morning. He wouldn’t be able to go to work for another week though. She told him that they’d send a notice to his job so he’d be excused. She then left and they were alone once again.

“Kris.”

“Hmm?”

“When you go home, can I stay with you until you’re able to go back to work?”

“Why? Did something happen with mom and dad?”

“No, I just want to be with you.”

“Oh, okay then.”

“Can I ask you something else?”

“Mmm?”

“Can you promise?”

“I don’t know what it is.”

“Just promise me first.”

“Okay, I promise. Now what did I promise to?”

“Don’t make me live without you.”

“I promise I won’t make you live without me.”

“Good. I was so lonely on Monday. Even if I was with my friends I was still thinking about you. I’m sorry I said those things to you. I didn’t really mean them.”

“I missed you too. I spent the whole day with Chanyeol. I thought about you a lot.”

“Good. Because I don’t want to be the only one thinking of you okay.”

“I always think of you. Well mainly your food but that sort of count doesn’t it?’

“No it doesn’t. How can you say you think of me when all you think about is food? Am I food? Are you going to eat me?”

            The silence from that morning was gone. It was now filled with the sound of the rain tapping gently at the window and the small chatter coming from the two on the bed. The TV was put on mute and all that was seen in the darkening room was the colors flashing of the TV and the two boys cuddling on the bed that was way too small for two adults. the closeness brought them extra heat in the cold room.

            A nurse walked in to tell Tao that visiting hours were about to end but walked back out when she saw then cuddling. She giggled behind her clipboard and left them there. Letting Tao sleep with Kris in the hospital would hurt anyone and it wouldn’t bother anyone else so she just left them telling the other nurse at the desk what they looked like snuggling up together under the thin blanket. The other nurse asked why she didn’t take a picture and got up to go see for herself only to be pulled down by the other nurse telling her not to disturb them.


 

hey guys. i hope you enjoyed this chapter. i know Valentine's day was a week ago but since last weeks chapter wasn't all that happy i chose to write it for this chapter. anyways i hope you like how the story is turning out. 

this story so far on microsoft word is 50 pages. thats amazing knowing that i can write that much just by having people read what i write.

also thank you to xTaeMinx , Yunjae4eternity , PandaChuuu12 , and Galdy42 for voting for this story.