The piano room

Living with the enemy

 

Mi Rae watched her son's head drop after his apology, it was the first time she had seen him apologize to anyone in a long time and Youngbae saw it too because she felt him stiffen beside her when he heard it. Although Youngbae wanted to see Jiyong, she quickly sent him home nicely; everyone needed some time alone. The next day was a weekend anyways so it would be best for everyone to relax. 

"Seunghyun" she knew where to find Seunghyun when he was on one of his moods or having trouble sleeping; the piano room.

"I really didn't know" he sounded so bitter. She knew once he found out Jiyong had lost his mother, he would feel bad for his little joke. Seunghyun was very sensitive when it came to issues like this.

"I know, how could you have known"

"I just hated him but I don't even know him. His mother is late, his father left to work somewhere else and has no clue where he is, he has to live here with me who he hates" This was her Seunghyun, Seunghyun who had always been passionate, not the bully everyone knew.

"I don't understand why you hated him in the first place but I'm sure he doesn't hate you" 

"Yes he does, you should see him with everyone at school. Even with Youngbae" she could detect jealousy from a mile away and she knew her some was jealous.

"Why would he open up to you when you just admitted to hating him. Since you don't know him at all, I'll have one of the drivers take you to his neighborhood and his house tomorrow morning so you can have a glimpse. Maybe then you wouldn't have a reason to hate him"

"I don't see how that would help but okay"

"Have you been sleeping, did you have to take the pills to sleep"? One thing she hated most about herself was how busy she always was. Seunghyun had sleep problems, he always woke up screaming most nights; they were so bad that one time, he refused to sleep for almost a week because he was scared of the man who always pointed a gun at him so he was prescribed heavy sleeping pills which sometimes, barely ever worked. Some nights when she was home, she would hear his screams all the way from her room and rush to his side, but it never helped so she would just hold him till everything subsided and then cry with him. Her son was going through so much and there was nothing she could do about it.

"The pills don't work anymore but it's fine" he said casually as he played with the keys on the keyboard a little. Her husband  had made the piano room just for him, he was supposed to teach Seunghyun how to play but it never happened as he died a week after showing seunghyun the room and the never got to teach him. She even tried to get him to take lessons from professionals since he liked music so much but he never wanted it and she couldn't blame him.

"Maybe we should see Doctor Lee again"

"Maybe later, I need to start trying to do without it"

"Dara said she'd drop minzy by in the morning" she said and watched as his face brighten; minzy was Seunghyun's five year old niece and she always had a way of making everyone around her happy.

"I've missed her so much"

"I know, me too. Do you think you'd be able to watch her till evening when Dara comes to pick her up. I have to travel to Singapore tomorrow" She knew Minzy was in safe hands with Seunghyun and the workers in he house. Once she had left them both in the house for one night when Seunghyun slipped into one of his depressions and by the time she returned, he had snapped out of it. Minzy was an angel.

"Just me....what.....what...what about him. Is he really leaving"? 

"I have to speak with him tomorrow" she stood up to leave. It was the longest she had ever been in the piano room with him without him trying to kick her out.

"Please make him stay" she heard Seunghyun say silently, she really wanted to ask questions but she knew not to push it. With Seunghyun, one had to be careful because one misstep and he would forever shut you out. 

 

*********************************************************************************************************

He felt something on his eyelashes but he chose to ignore it, he was too tired after crying all night. The thing didnt stop, it went from his eye lashes to his nose and then his mouth, making him spring up and right there in front of him was a little girl wearing all pink.

"Whoa.... You're pretty"!!! She squealed as she jumped on the bed with him. He was a little scared, he had to admit, he had never really had any close contact with a kid before and she just sat beside him staring at him, not even blinking.

"What's your name"? His voice was a little groggy but she seemed not to care.

"My name is Gong Minji and I'm five years old"!! she said a little too loudly but she was so cute.

"My name is Kwon Jiyong and I'm seventeen years old" he mimicked her making them both laugh. They sat there for a while with her asking to touch his face and his hair; he was uncomfortable at first with her gasping at everything but he relaxed after a while. For some reason, people always seemed to compliment him on his looks but whenever he looked in the mirror, all he saw was a plain person.

"Let's go look for Seunghyun oppa" she said pulling him from the bed.

"No you go, I'll be here" he hadn't seen Seunghyun since when he apologized. He wasn't angry with him, he just wasn't ready to face him, not sure of what Seunghyun would do or say to him this time.

"Oppaaaaaaaaaa...." She pouted and whined with puppy eyes that he couldn't resist so he got out of bed and went with her.

He had never been to Seunghyun's room so he let her lead him, the only parts of the mansion he'd been to was the room he was currently staying and the dinning, now that he got a little look around, the house was huge and beautiful. It was also empty.

"Seunghyun oppa"? Minzy pushed open a room door and led him inside. By the look of it, it was Seunghyun's room; he knew there was a huge possibility of getting in trouble for being there but he couldn't resist the urge to look around when he saw a vintage looking phonograph and a huge stack of compact disk's beside it; his mother used to have on but his father sold it years ago, he remembered when he got home one night and it wasn't there anymore. He cried so hard that night. On the other side of the room, were CDs of renowned composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Wagner, Chopin and lots more, he would know because they were all his favorites. He could never afford to buy so much records but he was fortunate to work at a radio station where they had a huge collection and what was scary was that, Seunghyun had more and he wished he could ask to listen to some. Looking around the room, Seunghyun seemed like a different person, even more different than the playful person he is with his mother and Teayang, he was almost human. Even the order of his room and his surprisingly good taste in music was surprising, he took Seunghyun for the grungy type with messy room but here he was, in his dream room and it belonged to Seunghyun. 

He walked to the bed; it seemed as if no one had slept there as it was already made, unless he got someone to make it for him. By his bedside were framed pictures of his mother, Dongwook, and a man who looked like it would be his father. There was another there too, it was flipped face down; he was never a nosy person but his curiosity got to him as he tried reaching for it.

"Oppa......lets go. They said he left really early this morning" Minzy's voice startled him and he retracted from the frame. "Oppa let's go to the piano room" she said pulling him out of the room.

 

*********************************************************************************************************

He was on his way back and his heart ached as he thought about the house that was supposedly blondie's; the place was rundown, the walls had mold around it and for a second he was so sure that his driver had been lying, there was no way anyone could live there. He thought about how he always looked so happy in school before Bom left and wondered how someone could seem so happy when they lived in that state. He really felt low this time, the sad part was that he was supposed to live there by himself while his father was away, and his father had no idea where he was 'what kind of father doesn't call to see how they're son is doing' he thought angrily. Whenever his mother was away, she called over ten times in one day, even when he thought she was getting annoying. He was going to look past the Bom incident, he was going to try; Bom never liked him no matter how much he tried anyways so he was going to give Jiyong a chance. A chance to be friends and to help him. He usually hated the people in his school because they were all fake, which was why he always stuck to Youngbae. He was going to have a party tomorrow and he knew just person to call to make it happen, Nickhun. Although he hated the boy with his guts, he was his PR agent. He also had to make several other calls for decorations and food.

He arrived the house tired, he hadn't slept all night, his pills had stopped working for a while and he didn't want his mother to worry. His nightmares had become a part of him now and he was going to deal with it in anyway he can. He stepped in the house and stopped short, resonating from the air was Chopin's Barcarolle; it was the first piece had had ever heard his father play and wanted to learn to play the piano. It was the same piece that he listened to all week after his father passes and he had all of Chopin's piece's and this was his favorite. He followed the sound, it was coming from his piano room and some of the workers standing in front with their ears to the door. The workers knew better than to go into the room.

"Sorry Sir" They said quickly and ran as they saw him.

He opened the door and his heart stopped at the site; there he was playing the piano with his eyes closed, body swaying back and forth with Minzy sitting next to him. He looked like a piece of art, the way he played the piano. He stood there by the door as the most unexpected person played his father favorite piece perfectly.

"Seunghyun oppa"!!! Minzy screamed and just like that the music stopped abruptly. He wish he could have stopped her from disrupting such an heavenly sight and sound. There was no way he was letting him go now.

"Whoa, our Minzy has gotten prettier" He said as she ran to him and scooped her in her arms, spinning her around the room.

"Jiyong oppa said he's from your school. I like him" she said out of breath, making him turn his attention to Jiyong.

"I'm so sorry....she....she showed it to me and I....I...couldn't help it" He watched as the boy stammered, he waited for a hateful look in his eyes, like the one he had yesterday when before he apologized but there was nothing, nothing at all. "I'll get ready to leave. Sorry" 

"Wait" he stopped the boy from leaving "where are you going"?

"I'm going home, I feel so much better now"

"Oppa" Minzy was getting sad.

"But you still have a limp, you can't leave" He couldn't leave, he still hadn't had the chance to be nice to him.

"I'll be fine" The boy continued to the door, he didn't know what to do or say.

"Please, Please don't leave I beg you. I know I haven't treated you right and you have no reason to believe but please just stay and let me help, even it's only for a week" He had never really had to beg for anything but he was now, and he didn't mind it, not after hearing that beautiful piece he had just played.

"Dont worry Seunghyun, I'm not angry with you or anything and we are nothing to each other so you don't have to help me. i dont want your pity". The boy said and left, leaving him dazed.  For the first time in his life, he apologized and pleaded and meant it, only for it not to mean anything. Minzy got down from his ams and ran after Jiyong, leaving him alone  in room and he realized it was the first time anyone who wasn't his mother or Dongwook had entered. Even Youngbae had never been in the room, one time a worker had entered to try to clean it, he had him fired on the spot. Somehow it felt right when the boy was here, it felt normal, it felt good.

******************************************************************************

I'm sorry for not updating sooner. TBH, I was getting a little discouraged but seeing a huge influx of comments and subbers.....it all came back to me so thank you guys. I'll update more frequently, I promise :)