Leaving

Living with the enemy

 

The minute he got on the bus, he knew where he had to go; the cemetery his mother was buried. It was the place he always went to feel at peace. He lay beside it for minutes before he could gather the courage to speak.

“Omma” the tears were coming and he wasn’t going to stop it “Omma… this whole time I’ve been so angry with you thinking you got in an accident after you decided not to come pick me up from school because you decided to go to the kid you were spending time with” the tears were streaming down now “But omma I just found out today that Seunghyun was that person, and you risked your life to save him. I’m so sorry” There were so much he wanted to say but he wasn’t sure what to say.

“Jiyong”? he heard his father's voice from behind him but didn’t turn. He needed to be alone. “Jiyong” his father said again, taking a spot beside him.

“Appa you lied to me”

“Jiyong… I know, and if I had he chance I would do it again. How could I face you knowing that I couldn’t save your mother? I failed” his father was choking.

“Appa…”

“I couldn’t protect her and I still can’t” he looked up to see his father crying. “I’ve tried everything, I thought f I worked undercover from time to time, they’d allow her a honorable funeral and release her badges but they didn’t”

“Appa I’m sorry I got angry but it’s not your fault,” he was crying along with this father. “You’ve given me everything I could ask for”

“I could have given you more but I don’t want to use their money, not after all they said about your mother”

“Appa what are you talking about”? He was confused. What money could he be talking about?

“This is yours Jiyong” His father took out a receipt “I put money in it last night. This is the balance as of last night” He looked at the receipt and the amount on it shocked him.

“Where did you get this”?

“It’s all mine and your mother’s earnings from the bureau. Ever since your mother’s death, I was so angry that I never used from it and I transferred it all to you”

“Appa isn’t this too many secrets to find out in one day. First i find out that both you and Omma are super heroes and that we're rich”? The last he’d checked, he had only a couple Wons to his and his father’s name and today he was a billionaire.

“No more secrets Jiyong”

“Appa I don’t know what to do. It’s my fault Seunghyun became like that; he hadn’t been sleeping because he thought it was his fault he couldn’t save omma. He was always wondering about her family”

“I don’t see how that’s your fault, there’s no way you could’ve known”

“I don’t know what to do from here or what to say to Seunghyun”

“You really like that boy don’t you”? His father asked and it felt weird; he'd never spoen about his preference to with his father.

“No… Appa I think I love him”

“Whoa my son is in love” his father’s actions were surprising.

“What happened, I thought I was supposed to stay away from him because you didnt like him”

“Me? I never said that. I like Seunghyun” his father said and they both laughed “I have to admit,  I was skeptical at first but I realized how much that boy cared about you this morning”

“what”?

“The entire time, that boy never cared about his fathers death. His eyes were on you the entire time, and I heard him yell at his mother when I was leaving but he never asked about his father, and I can bet all my money that he’s out looking for you right now” everything his father said was not surprising, it in fact sounded like what Seunghyun would do.

“Appa I don’t want to face him. I don’t know what to say, what if he doesn’t feel the same way about me now that he knows what he knows”

“Aiish my son is ridiculous and kind” his father ruffled his hair. “Lets take a trip to Jeju together, we’ve had one hell of a day so I think we need a break”

“what”?

“Lets take a trip to clear our heads and tomorrow you’ll face Seunghyun and I’ll face his mom. I have to apologize for saying some thing's i shouldnt have said” he gave it one long thought and he knew his father was right.

“Okay.. but I left my phone in the parlor of seunghyun’s house and it's on silent”

“Its fine, you can use the Samsung one you gave me but i'll give it when we get back, no cell phones on this trip” his father said as he helped him up.

“So if we’re so rich does that mean I can buy any car I want”?

“Aigoo Aigoo. My son is getting ignorant”

 

SEUNGHYUN'S POV

“Seunghyun, you can’t shut us out forever” Dongwook said as he followed him into his room. It was 10pm and after searching everywhere possible with Taeyang, they couldn’t find Jiyong or his father. Taeyang was going to get some investigators to search for them in the morning and all he could do was wait.

“Watch me”

“Seunghyun would you pull your head out of your for a second and listen to me”! if his brother wanted a fight, he was going to give him one.

“Oh brother, sure lets have a chat”

“Don’t get cocky with me Seunghyun and you have no right to speak to mom the way you did earlier”

“Really”?

“Yes really. The only reason she still works for harabuji is because it was appa’s dying wish”

“What”?

“I’m tired of keeping secrets because I don’t want to hurt you; its what got us here in the first place” Dongwook said as he took a seat on his bed “Appa worked hard for Choi company so that we could have it… see if harabuji doesn’t give it to us, it’d go to his worthless brothers, and you’ve met them Seunghyun, I mean they’ll run the company down and we have so many workers; workers that appa cared about” he knew his uncles, they were exactly like his  grandfather, only worse. “Appa made it to the hospital that day and there he made omma promise that she’d work for the company so it’ll come to us”

“I didn’t know” Seunghyun sat beside his brother. “Hyung I’ve lost both omma and Jiyong. I yelled at omma and jiyong’s mother died because of me”

“Seunghyun you can’t blame yourself. Omma's just sad, and I’m sure Jiyong doesn’t blame you. Just give him time”

“Hyung, did you love Jiyong. I know you followed him for a while, and you got so angry when he was in the hospital” it was an odd question but it had to be asked.

“It doesn’t matter. It was supposed to be you all along”

“What does that mean”?

“Omma and Dami always joked about their children falling in love and getting married and Dami liked you so much and she always said she wanted you to her daughter if she ever had one and if she didnt, she was going to force you to like her son” Dongwook chuckled.

“But hyung, if omma an Mimi were so close, how come I never met Jiyong when I was younger”?

“Well harabuji happened. That’s all I can say, he..” his phone rang cutting Dongwook off and he rushed to it thinking it’d be Jiyong or Taeyang with news but it was only his grandfather. “I see he’s still trying to get you to live with him huh”?

“Yeah but I don’t understand why he’s not bothering you” he asked as he ignored the call.

“Well he used to but I told him off, there’s no way I’m gonna become his puppet”

 

 

TAEYANG’S POV

 

It was lunchtime at school and he was lying on the grass in his and Jiyong’s favorite place; he left Seunghyun in the lair. The anticipation of waiting for the private investigators with news was killing both he and Seunghyun but mostly Seunghyun that he had to leave. When Seunghyun told him everything about who his old nanny really was he couldn’t help but feel bad for the both them.

“Hey bestfriend” he opened his eyes to be graced with Jiyong’s beautiful smile. He rose to his feet immediately, enveloping Jiyong in a tight hug. “ooh someone missed me” Jiyong chuckled.

“We’ve been looking everywhere for you. Where’ve you been”? he pulled Jiyong to sit on the grass with him.

“My father and I needed some time to clear our minds”

“I see and you look… good” Good wasn’t what was in his mind, but jiyong did look good. His smile was brighter than ever.

“Thank you. Where’s Seunghyun”? Jiyong blushed before he looked around.

“Jiyong please, Seunghyun really didn’t know. If you break up with him, it’ll kill him”

“No no no, I wanted to tell him I love him”

“what”? He was genuinely happy for his grim fried but part of him wanted to be the recipient of Jiyong’s love.

“When I found out that my mom risked her life to save Seunghyun… I realized my mom saved Seunghyun for me. I didn’t want to face Seunghyun yesterday because I felt bad to my parents for loving Seunghyun but after talking to my dad last night and realizing how short life was, all I wanted to do was scream to Seunghyun about how much I loved him” Jiyong with his eyes shinning, he seemed so happy.

“It’s nice you know. It’s all seunghyun’s grandfather’s fault”

“Ugh I hate him… now every time I see him I'll just want to puke, I cant believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt.”

“Woah woah woah…hold on there little monster”

“I’m sorry Taeyang, its just that after everything I found out, my mom and all i… Argh” Jiyong went from being nice and sweet to being a cute little monster and it was amusing.

 

SEUNGHYUN POV

 

He had been waiting for the call from the moment he woke up but it never came. Taeyang dragged to him to school and it was lunchtime and it still didn’t come. He walked over to the window, and there he was Jiyong, in Taeyang’s arms and he was jealous but he made his to where they were.

“Ugh I hate him… now every time I see him I just want to puke, I cant believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt” he heard Jiyong say as he approached. He knew Jiyong would hate him but he didn’t think it’d be that bad. His eyes caught what was in Jiyong’s hands; it was the Samsung phone Taeyang gave him, with the iPhone nowhere to be found, which only met Jiyong had rejected him. He lost Jiyong and it was his entire fault, if only he’d told everyone what actually happened to Mimi, all these wouldn’t have happened. “I’m sorry Taeyang, its just that after everything I found out, my mom and all I… Argh” he heard Jiyong again and he slowly backed away, running as fast as he could to his car. There was only one thing he had to do; he couldn’t stay in Seoul if Jiyong hated him. He couldn’t even stay anywhere but leaving, he had to start from somewhere.

“Seunghyun”? He stopped by Jiyong’s house just in time to see Jiyong’s father getting out of the house.

“Mr. Kwon…”

“Please call me Hyunjun, why aren’t you in school”?

“I just have a question, would be too late to give your wife a honorable funeral”?

“why”?

“Please, just answer me” he didn’t have much time.

“No. Its not too late, its never too late; she gets it the minute her name is cleared”

“Thank you, and my mom only works in the company because my dad made her promise she would before he died” he said before running to his car.

He was going home to pack, but not before he made one quick call; he call he vowed he’d never make but it now it was the one call he needed to make. He got home in time; a packed duffel bag with only the important things with the first thing being Jiyong’s symphony.

“Seunghyun… what’s the bag for”? His mother appeared by the door.

“I’m going to live with harabuji”

“What”? He didn’t want to hurt her but it was the only way. “Is it because of the company, I promise I’ll quit”

“No omma it’s not that, hyung explained it to me. I’m so sorry for being rude yesterday”

“So why are you leaving”?

“I have to omma. I know you’ve done so much for me but please just trust me this once” he pleaded as he took his mothers eyes. She was crying and it hurt him; he didn’t want to be the cause of her pain “omma please just trust me, I cant stay here. I just cant, not if Jiyong hates me”

“How long”?

“I don’t know but I’ll come visit sometime”

“Seunghyun…”

“Omma please just let me go, please. I don’t know how long I can live with seeing Jiyong everyday looking at me with hate in his eyes. I don’t know when I got like this but it hurts omma” he was crying too, in his mother’s arms. He needed to forget Jiyong, to get rid of the pain in his heart, and he couldnt do it in seoul.

“You should go, if it helps you but promise you’ll come back okay”?

“I promise” he got up picked his bag, gave his mother one last hug before going down and into his car.

 

Seunghyun>>>Taeyang

Take care of Jiyong.

 

 

He sent a text to his best friend before switching his phone off as the aircraft was about to take off. He might have been leaving Korea but Jiyong would forever be in his heart. Jiyong his first love.