026

The Cursed Twins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

In his life, Kai had been in several fights. He thought he had seen the worst of the worst, one that will haunt him for the rest of his life, but none of them can prepare him from the unfolding war before his eyes. He couldn’t explain the uneasy feeling that had settled in his stomach, his heart, and his mind.

His whole body was screaming of feelings he couldn’t quite name, and he was so close to burst if not for his twin present beside of him. The older one hadn’t shown much emotion on his face for Kai to guess what effect does the war has on Kyungsoo, but he can see how rigid and tense his twin had become the moment they stepped into the war scene.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, knew very well of what he felt of the war. He had been in a number of them. He had felt the struggle to keep himself alive, had seen the aftermath that tore his heart apart, though he was aware that all of them were dreams. They gave him such a surreal feeling that it affected him even after he had woken up.

And this time, as he stood at the corner and watched the war unfold as a bystander, the feelings were much worse than before, and he can feel that his resolution was about to crumble.

The war did not happen on the ground. I0nstead they were fighting in the open sky. Their rival, like the Musterions themselves, possessed wings that allow them to soar across the sky. But their wings didn’t have those colourful and fascinating feathers on it. Instead their wings looked like a sheet of skin, and the colours were mostly dark brown or close to black, only that they appeared so thin we could nearly see the roots of muscles. If anything, their wings resembled the wings of a bat.

All of them wore a worn-out cloak that covered half of their faces, and it continued past their shoulders and wings with two holes on their backs to give way to their wings.

“They were known as the creatures of the night because of their love for the moon. It made them stronger, more powerful.” Sehun’s soft voice broke the trance that they were in, but their eyes remained on the ugly scene in front of them. “The clan was called Ghoram.”

“They were the closest to our clan when you talk about physical features and abilities, but they were also very different from us in many things.” Luhan added shortly.

“They were always hungry for power. Our clan is too, but they were much worse, almost like they needed power to stay alive.”

“You could say that they were our sworn enemy, never been on the same side even once.” Sehun clarified further. His eyes were roaming around the sky, watching the war like it was the first time he had ever seen it.

“This war was the last of the last.” Luhan paused and turned around to face the fraternal twins, “Ghoram and Musterion were the last two clans in Cleora to have survived the continuous wars.”

“People have always predicted that they will be the last two standing. They were the strongest of all clans anyway.”

In front of them, hundreds of people from both clans were engaged in a deadly battle, a battle that determined their life and death. Multiple sounds of metal clacking onto one another blended together, creating a dreadful sound to the ears.

The Ghorams were using a twin axe as their weapon. The axe have similar shape at both ends. The hilt is of black color, with the sharp end in glimmering silver. It let out the darkest smoke that anyone has ever seen in each swing it made.

The Musterions, just like their rivals, were using axes as weapons as well. But instead of a twin axe or any of those normal axes, the Musterions’s weapon was in a beautiful half-moon shape. The surface of the axe was covered with a stunning carvings—the same that can be found on their wings. The carvings were crafted in gold, a contrast to the axe's shining black surface. There was a big hole in the middle of the half-moon axe, making it look like a reversed C. And on the other half of the axe, a sharp curved blade was attached to its handle.

“I have always fancied our weapon, if you must know. It carried our lives, attached to our soul. I couldn’t imagine a life without its company.” Sehun whispered to Kai’s ear, catching the younger one off-guard while he was staring at the half-moon axe. The identical twins have been carrying theirs on their backs, secured safely under its sheath.

The wind around them changed again with the slightest movement of Luhan's fingers. His eyes were focused on the farthest end of the war field. “Come, the important event is about to happen.” With that being said, the four of them moved in between the battles, giving the fraternal twins closer insight of the ugly war.

--

Misery.

It was the only thing that he can feel as he soared across the sky. The half-moon axe in his hold glowed in white light as it sliced the wind, sending a powerful impact to the enemies that came into his way.

Sehun was flying not far from him. Their connection wouldn’t allow them to stay too far from each other. They always have to stick together. Their mother used to say they even went to the loo together, because neither one can bear the stinging pain of being apart. Perhaps, it was a twin thing. They couldn’t be so sure, but the bond only lessened by a bit as they grew older. Even then, being apart had never been the brightest idea.

Luhan had just managed to dodge an attack when he sensed a very powerful existence heading to his way. Sehun was by his side just in time as he turned to face it. He knew that it wasn’t coming from any of the Ghorams, because none of them possessed such a power. They came with a burden as heavy as their death.

“Teivel,” Luhan whispered in between gritted teeth.

There, in front of them, was none other than their sworn enemy. Teivel was probably of the same age as them, born during the full moon, which made him one of the strongest in his clan.

His black cloak was covered in dirt and holes, making him looked a lot more like a stray rather than someone of the higher ranks in the Ghorams. He smirked beneath his cloak, flashing his dirty and black teeth to the twins as a greeting.

“Well, well, well, look who we have here. It’s none other than the almighty twins of the Musterion clan.” His husky voice whispered to them in a mocking tone, sounding almost like a hiss. Strangely enough, the whispers could be heard in the middle of the deafening sound of the war. “Fancy meeting you here, gentlemen.” Teivel said as he mockingly bows to them.

Sehun was about to spit some nasty words as a comeback—judging from the way his eyebrows were furrowed together furiously, and how his lips were almost bleed from the biting—but he was stopped by a loud explosion coming from the volcano nearby them.

That, as each of them was aware, had never been a good sign.

Volcanoes in Cleora weren’t meant to erupt. They only produce very thick grey smoke from time to time, spreading heat and poisonous ash. But none of them were supposed to erupt in such a state. Because if it ever happens, it can only mean one thing.

Something was not right with the core.

It didn't take more than a second for both of the twins to revert their attention back to Teivel. Their eyes show daggers on their opponen, giving him an accusing glare. 

“What have you done this time, Teivel?” Sehun groaned, staring suspiciously at the high-ranking Ghoram.

Laughter followed, as Teivel threw his head backwards, clutching his stomach. “You give me too much credit, Sehun. I might drown in all the glories you have thrown at me.” He grinned.

“Why do you even think that I have anything to do with that?” Teivel asked as he circled the two, his wings flapping behind him. “Surely, you weren't thinking I have the power to make volcanoes explode, were you?”

“No, he certainly wasn’t.” Luhan retorted, moving closer to Teivel. “You are too much of a fool to possess such power,” he paused, “and even more of an idiot to take it by force!” he barked.

As soon as the words left Luhan's mouth, the grin from Teivel's face was gone instantly and Sehun tensed. Luhan, unlike him, wasn't one who lost his temper without reason. From the moment he saw Luhan's clenched fist, and judging by the ala

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter