022

The Cursed Twins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The big door in front of them was half-round and it occupied the whole path, which was big enough to let at least eight people to enter it in one time. One big line can be seen around the door, separating it from the cave’s wall. Next to it were a series of symbols that resembled each kingdom. There was no knob or handle, only symbols can be seen etched on every part of the door.

The fire symbol was engraved on the lowest part of the door. It looked like it was burning half of the door and right above it was the symbol from Tarun, the kingdom of earth, or at least that was what the twins thought based on the carving of mountains and trees.

There were two big mountains, as big as the fire below them and in the middle of the mountains, a river could be seen, the river flowed right above the fire symbol, spreading on each side below the mountains.

The position was quite weird and odd for the twins’ liking but they shrugged it off as they looked at the last symbol, situated at the highest part of the door. The symbol of the wind, Suwan Kingdom.

“They are the symbols of each kingdom,” Kyungsoo stated, his eyes still roaming around the door.

Kai frowned as his mind tried to connect everything together, from the moment they found each other to the journey they went through just to get here. He couldn’t figure out anything. Everything was tangled together like a mess of convoluted threads, even if he tries to untangle it, the threads will remain as a mess in his mind.

“Why do I have a feeling that none of these are just a coincidence?” Kai asked. His head tilted to his twin’s direction.

“This is the cave of Rogunth, the cave that holds every secret in our world.” Kyungsoo was looking at Kai, he didn’t frown like his younger twin but Kai knew that Kyungsoo’s mind is as confused as he is.

“There must be a reason why all of these are here,” Kyungsoo added, glancing at the door and Kai, “and maybe we are here for a different reason.”

His big eyes were looking at Kai’s like he was trying to tell him something, something that he'd rather not to say aloud.

“We’re here for the curse, Kyungsoo.” Kai reminded him for the nth time, there was a slight annoyance on the younger’s face.

Kyungsoo looked away from him. He placed his hands inside of his pocket and tiptoed, shrugging his shoulders and pursed his lips a bit. He looked like he was stretching, but anyone can tell that he was nervous actually.

Kai eyed his twin from the corner of his eyes, feeling rather amused by how small Kyungsoo is compared to him.

“Have it ever crossed your mind that maybe, just maybe, there is something more than just a curse?” Kyungsoo questioned, he looked a lot calmer than he was a minute ago.

Kai furrowed his eyes. A frown can be seen on his good-looking face.

“Why do you always speak like you know more than I do?” It wasn’t an answer, and Kyungsoo did not like the way Kai sounded like he was accusing him.

“You have no idea what I know, Kai.”

Kyungsoo’s face darkened, his voice sounded as low as it could be as if he was threatening his twin. Kai gaped, eyes slightly widened by his twin’s sudden change, but he quickly regained his composure and returned the cold look Kyungsoo was giving him.

“Then tell me,” he muttered, “Tell me what you know, Kyungsoo.”

Kai kept his face straight. For him, two can play this game and if Kyungsoo thinks that he would feel intimidated by his dark face then he was wrong. Kai eyed the older one from his place. Both of them stood still as Kyungsoo bit his lips and stared at the door.

A deep sigh escaped from Kyungsoo's mouth, and Kai watched his twin hang his head low, eyes settling on his dirty black  shoes.

“Sometimes,” he paused, the shorter one seemed to struggle with his own words, “Sometimes, it’s better to know less than the others.” He looked up and turned to Kai with eyes that told nothing but sadness.

Kai frowned, again.

“Unless, you know how to make it stop,” he added.

Kai raised a brow and said, “You’re making me confuse with your words again, Kyungsoo.”

“I mean the memories,” Kyungsoo’s voice was lower this time, “the memories that don’t belong to you.”

Kai was struck, his pupil widened, and suddenly his mouth felt dry. He looked away from Kyungsoo, feeling uneasy way down in his stomach. The feeling of fear and  worry mixed together, knocking his senses in every way possible. For some odd reason, he felt his lungs tighten. His mouth slightly opened as he breathed hastily. He needed more air so that his mind could think wisely enough.

He knew it better than anyone else, and if there is anything he would want to do the most, then it would be to discard the memories that didn't belong to him. He bit his lips and looked anywhere except at Kyungsoo. Deep in his heart, he was dying to know. Was Kyungsoo hurting the same way he did? If he did, then what is it? What kind of memories was he referring to?

They did share a lot of similarities, but he hated to admit it.

“It suffocating and torturing, isn’t it?” Kai mumbled slowly, gaining the attention of his twin again but Kyungsoo remained silent. He didn’t think it was the time for him to speak up his mind.

“If we find nothing here,” Kai continued, “and we both end up dying because of the curse, then maybe that will make it stop.”

“Somehow, the thought of dying isn't a bad idea after all.” he added.

There was sadness and desperation along the lines that came out from the younger’s mouth. Kyungsoo found himself clenching over his chest. It hurt to hear such words from his other half.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter