019

The Cursed Twins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The necklaces continued to glow, blinding the three of them, who were still watching, as if they would miss a thing if they look away. Ilhoon did though, thinking that his eyes had enough. He looked away and rubbed his eyes gently. A gasp from Lumia caught his attention back to the twins. The glowing necklace were slowly fading, from blinding glow to fading light, until they slowly went back to what it was.

The twins' bodies jolted up, and their eyes were widely open. Loud gasps were heard and they breathed heavily as sweat trailed down from their jaw lines to their chest.

Lumia shouted, in both relief and shock, before she embraced the twins. Both of them looked confused though, their eyes were looking strangely at the other three as they approached them. Lumia was the first to reach them both but the twins still looked as confused as ever, as if they had lost themselves in that brief moment of unconsciousness.

“Kyungsoo?” She called, her soft hand landing on his lap.

It took a few moments for him to give her a response, though it wasn’t a smile that she expected from him. His eyes were half-opened, his lips parted a bit and he let it curve at the end, proposing a smile to comfort the lady in front of him.

She placed her hands on the twins’ cheek and drew a breath. “You scared me to death!” She was angry, of course, but she sounded more worried than angry now. Her concerned eyes watched the twins' eyes widen for a brief second, as if they didn’t expect her to be worried. Kai was the obvious one. The expression he wore on his face was unreadable at first, and then it softened as he looked away from her.

“What happened to you both just now?” She asked, throwing her glance back to the other two who were still standing behind her, with eyes focused on the three of them and mouth closed as if they locked it.

“I mean, the fire and...” She paused, trying her best to find the right words to say, but she ended up shaking her head lightly.

 “I don’t understand.” It wasn’t the best she could come up with, but she said it somehow, knowing that neither Eric nor Ilhoon would ask the twins.

Like the twins they are, both Kai and Kyungsoo looked down on their laps, their lips pressed together slightly as if they were holding back.

“We...” Kyungsoo spoke up first, though his eyes looked uncertain.

“No,” he corrected himself, “I—”

“It was my fault,” Kai cut off his twin’s words, earning a surprised look from the older one. “I lost myself in the midst of my own anger. It came unexpectedly, and disappeared like wind before I even realized it.” The younger one explained himself with a rather calm voice.

“I’m sorry, I failed to control myself.” he added.

“What were you so angry of, young man?” Lumia asked him, her hand patted his head gently. Kai was taken aback for a second, feeling strangely appreciated. Was it because of the pats he got, or the fact that Lumia was looking at him with such a motherly look in her eyes?

“I...” He bit his lips, looking at his lap again before he glanced at his twin, who was looking at him now.

He looked away naturally. Not that he hated seeing his twin’s face, but finding him looking vulnerable, yet concerned, made him feel confused. He didn’t know whether he should feel angry again, or just be composed because Kyungsoo was just being Kyungsoo. It was something he had learned about his older twin, though it wasn’t long since they first met each other.

 Eric stared at the younger twin, looking at him with his concerned eyes without saying a thing. He wished he could, but he couldn’t find a word to say so he let his eyes do the work, sending a mental message to Kai when the younger one’s eyes met him. He felt guilty, obviously, and mad as well. The feelings seemed to be vital, and neatly attached to his heart since the day he took the twins from the castle in Riam.

He walked over to the twins and placed his hands on each their heads. He ruffled their hair gently and said, “I’m glad that you both are fine.”

A small smile spread on the twins’ face, their eyes blinking shyly as they cherished that moment. Because for a second, Eric sounded like a father should have.

“And you,” Eric added, as he patted Kai's head slowly. The younger twin looked up and their eyes met again. “Next time, if it’ll ever happen again, tell me beforehand.” He ended his words with another ruffling of Kai’s hair. The younger one just simply nodded his head as an answer.

Kyungsoo took a long breath as he watched them both. He felt relieved and blessed that he could still see a smile plastered on Kai’s face. The younger one looked much better with it. Kyungsoo stole a glance at his twin again. He was quite sure he saw a glint of sadness in Kai’s eyes, but it disappeared as fast as it came.

It reminded Kyungsoo of the visions he saw. He can still feel the sadness sneak around in every space of his heart, though it wasn’t as strong as it was awhile ago. He felt a pressure on his shoulder, and he immediately knew that it was the blonde’s hand. He turned his head and saw Ilhoon standing by his side, a soft smile and a pair of gentle eyes accompanying him.

“You give me a big shock there, friend.” Ilhoon muttered, with a teasing grin replacing the soft smile. It had been short, really short but the two of them had grown closer in those short times. Ilhoon is closer to Kyungsoo than Kai because the older twin opened up to him, though he knew there’s still a secret hidden behind Kyungsoo’s innocent smile.

Kyungsoo raised both of his eyebrows before he too, wore a smile: a gentle one.

For a moment, it seemed like they had somehow forgotten about the dead lyriths or even the terrible smell that was occupying the space. Ilhoon moved once again and walked over to Eric, which was when the horrible view was presented to the twins.

Their eyes landed on the corpses. Kyungsoo was the first to gasp, almost flinching at what he was seeing. Kai’s reaction was somehow, more than his twin. His eyes widened, and his jaw dropped before suddenly, his whole body trembled. It started slowly until it  went out of control and Kai lost it once again.

He was trembling, and it was obvious to the rest of them. His eyes were clouded with tears. He could see everything clearly now. The painful memories that  used to be so faint and blurred came knocking into his mind again, and this time they became crystal clear.

He saw the corpses, the same ones he had seen years ago, the burned bodies with dry cuts and wounds. What else could he say? It was exactly like that back then, everything seemed like a déjàvu and Kai was drowned in a massive sea of pure darkness.

Only God knows what he had done this time.

“Kai, what’s wrong?” Ilhoon was the first to ask. He could feel the fear rising up in Kai’s fragile heart.

The younger twin didn’t reply, as expected by him, so he tried to reach him but Kai backed off in a flash. His eyes were looking at nobody in particular, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter