016

The Cursed Twins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The water in the small river flowed calmly to the east, creating a peaceful sound of water splashing onto one another as they raced to the end where the waterfall fell harshly yet beautifully for one to enjoy the sight. Kyungsoo stood at edge of the river, watching the small birds sneak a quick peek of the water before they flew off to the sky again. He let the morning breeze greet him as he took in a long breath and knelt carefully by the riverside.

He touched the water slightly, testing its coldness to see if he can stand it or not before he scooped a handful of water and splashed it onto his face. He rubbed his face gently before he took another handful and did the same thing over again. He stopped his morning wash when he heard a movement beside him.

Kai was kneeling not far from him, doing the same thing. The taller man sighed slowly before he ran his wet fingers through his silky black hair. Kyungsoo had noticed that they shared the same hair colour despite all the differences they had for each other. He continued his routine when he couldn’t find a word to say to his younger twin and let the silence accompany them for a little longer.

“Have you ever wondered why none of us have the same ability as our mother?”

Kai was the first one to break the silence and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to look at him with a surprised face. He watched his younger twin scoop some water with one hand and let it drop back to the river. Kai looked unexceptionally calm. Kyungsoo had wished for him to have the ability to read people, because most of the time, he wished he knew what was in his twin’s head.

“I did.” He replied with a low voice.

"You knew that I have the same ability as you?"

"Lumia told me and it bothered me for quite a long time.” He threw his gaze back to the river, trying to find peace in between the sound of the water and the birds that were still chirping in the sky.

“Did you try to find an answer for it?” Another question was asked and Kyungsoo knew that Kai’s eyes narrowed.

“I wish I could.” He replied honestly. He did wish he could find the answer for every single thing that had bothered his mind but everything has its limitations -  something he had seen between the fine line of death and life.

“You wish you could...” Kai scoffed slowly. Kyungsoo would be lying if he said that he didn’t feel slightly offended by his twin’s tone but he ignored it with a rather calm expression.

“It might be one of the reasons why we are fated to die.” There was a frown on Kai’s face and he bit his lower lip for a second.

“You mean that it was because of our ability?”

“Maybe it’s something related to that.” Kai muttered. Kyungsoo looked at his twin and noticed that he stood up and was locking his gaze deep into the water.

“I thought that we possessed the same ability because we are twins.” Kyungsoo commented as he got on his feet too.

“Twins...” Kai repeated his twin’s last words as if he was talking to himself.

“Don’t you find it odd to call ourselves twins when we don’t even share anything in common? Even your eyes are different from mine and your fire... Definitely not the same as mine.” He added.

Kyungsoo tilted his head a bit. If he had at least a tiny bit of courage, he would tell Kai how wrong he was. They did share a few things in common. They had the same hair colour, the same ability that were different from any other Fierras out there, and their eyes might not look the same but their fierce gaze were alike, as if they shared the same soul when they were born, and there were also many other things that were not visible to the  eye. But he couldn’t say it. He lost the courage long before they even met.

“But that doesn’t change the fact that we are twins.” Kyungsoo found his own voice to be awkward when he said those words.

“Sometimes, I think the only thing we share in common is our death.” Kai didn’t sound harsh or cold but there was a hint of sadness in his voice and Kyungsoo felt his heart ache a bit.

“Do you really think the cave has an answer for our quest?” He asked randomly, an attempt to chase away the pain in his heart.

And the only answer that his twin gave was, “Even if it doesn't, at least we tried to do something...”

At least we tried...

It struck him right there and then. He knew what exactly Kai had meant. He wasn’t talking about the curse, not anymore, but it was about him and his effort for both of them.

“Maybe our fate would be different if we didn't meet. Have you ever thought of that possibility?” Kyungsoo didn’t know why he asked that question but it had been there for a long time and he felt the urge to speak it out.

Kai chose to stay silent as he watched his twin with a confused face. He stared at Kyungsoo as if he was reading his twin’s thoughts.

“Things might be different if we didn't. Our fate might be different, or so, I think...” And Kyungsoo felt the regret rushing through his veins before it knocked his sense off. Why did he even say those words?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter