013

The Cursed Twins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was already noon when they left the town. The piercing light from the sun burned their skins a bit as they rode their horses through the open road. The blonde tried his best to pick the road that was covered by the trees' shade. It was a bit unfamiliar for them to see Ilhoon leading their way instead of Eric. The older man was riding his horse silently behind Ilhoon without much noise.

They have been riding quite fast speed but it wasn’t that hard for them to keep up with each other since all five of them were used to riding horseback. Four hours had passed and yet nobody said a single word. It was like everyone had fallen into a deep hole with no one but themselves.

“How far is that cave from here, Ilhoon?” Kyungsoo was the first one to break the silence and it took a couple of minutes for Ilhoon to decipher his question and actually answered him.

“We’ll probably take around two days to arrive at the blind road.” They were taking a short break after that long journey. Kai was drinking his water when Ilhoon’s answer caught his attention. He asked, “The blind road?”

“That is the only road that lead you to the cave of Rogunth. But it is not just any ordinary road. When you come across it, you’ll never know what will come after you.” Ilhoon explained briefly. He was leaning against a tree like the rest of them.

“Have you ever been there before?” Lumia was curious as to why that young man seem to know a lot about that cave despite the fact that he doesn’t look like someone who has traveled a lot.

“My mother did and the heartless guardians killed her...” He whispered before he quickly got back on his feet, dusted off his clothes and turned his back to them who were looking at each other with surprise. They were too speechless to even say a word to Ilhoon.

“We should keep moving now. The next place we’re heading is dangerous  especially at night.” He suggested as he looked at the sky. The clouds were moving slowly between each other, hiding the bright sun from their view.

They continued their journey and yet again, silence captured them all. Everyone seemed to be immersed in their own world despite their eyes still focused on the road ahead. From afar they could see a forest surrounded by bushes that were as tall as the normal trees. The bushes made a fine line like a wall that separated the forest from the field they were at now.  

Ilhoon stopped his horse quite far from the big line of bushes. They looked at the whole scenery without questioning why they were stopping. The twins frowned as they felt an evil aura coming out from the forest in front of them.

“Where are we now?” Eric asked as he tilted his head a bit to look at the blonde beside him.

“We have arrived at the gate of The Green Forest.” Unknowingly, all of them stood in line as they looked at the  gate. Once in awhile their horses made a few noises which  made the twins  exchange glances with each other.

“Something about  that place makes me feel uneasy...” Lumia muttered. Her soft voice muffled with the sound of the winds that danced around them.

“So what is it about this forest? I don’t like the feel it gave me.” Kai stated with a rather loud voice. Their whole attention was on him before they looked back to Ilhoon who had turned his horse around so he could face all of them.

“The Green Forest... The name itself doesn’t sound dangerous at all, does it?” It was a question but he made it sound more like a statement.

“What are you trying to say Ilhoon?” The older twin asked him.

The blonde man smirked before he answered Kyungsoo’s question. “Have you ever heard of a forest that has a mind of its own?" He threw another question instead of answering the twins’ questions.

“That forest kills anyone who enters  its territory. You’re not going to believe how many people died  in that place...” He paused and turned back to look at the forest. “Do you know why they called it 'The Green Forest?” Kai growled as he heard it, he doesn’t like the curiosity that was building in him.

“They say that once you're caught and got strangled  with  its roots and branches, the only thing  you'll see is green and then  you'll become part of  this forest. The life and the soul of  its victims are its food.”

They could feel shudders ran down their spines as they listened to Ilhoon’s words. The former knight’s face darkened as while he tried hard to imagine what's it like at the other end of the forest, the place where the only road to the cave will be found. 

“Eric, can’t you just teleport all of us to the other side of this forest?” Kyungsoo asked. He was a bit curious of the former knight’s ability but Eric just shook his head as an answer.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter