Butterflies

Butterflies

 

 

Cold sweats run down his temples and he didn’t even start to dance yet. He scans the audience and it gets overwhelming how many people are there. He tries futilely to find Wufan between the hundreds of heads but it’s really no use. The music starts and his mind goes blank giving the power merely to his body as it quickly responds to the sound. It all goes really fluidly. There’s actually not that much math to do when it comes to dance. A few steps here and there but the rest is all about following the melody.

He stops dancing and it’s Luhan and Victoria’s solo that takes place. The spotlight focuses on them. Victoria looks beautiful in a stunning white dress that flows along with her movements almost as if she’s moving underwater. From where Yixing stands it looks amazing he can only imagine how it shows to the audience. He takes the fact that he’s unmoving to take a full breath between the fast short ones. Suddenly the stage goes black and it’s time for him to get in place because the wrap up is coming.

They don’t even stay to listen to the applause as they exit the stage when the ending happens. Everyone has to rush to the dress rooms and change since they have to be ready in minutes for the final number. In between it happens small transition numbers performed by junior dancers to give time for them to dress. Yixing is almost running as he rushes to start undressing and putting on the other outfit. This time he is wearing a pair of black pants and a large golden colored shirt as Luhan on the other hand is wearing white pants and a large black, practically see-through, tank top alongside with Sehun who is already dressed and ready as he takes the little time to revise steps with Jongin who is wearing the same as Yixing.

The minutes turn to seconds and they have to rush again over to the stage. Yixing isn’t less nervous the second time around. Somehow everything seems to go faster than it really did. He feels ecstatic as the fifteen people on stage dance a medley of songs that run from hip hop to jazz and showcase a variety of different dance moves. As he dances he exchanges smiles with Jongin who’s dancing next to him. It feels good. Everything feels alright.

The thrill only seems to increase the more the ending arrives. And then everything goes black. A rush of applause echoes the room. Yixing is heavily breathing as all the efforts sink down on his body. Although he’s exhausted he feels exhilarating. When the curtains close he looks over and in the middle of people hugging and congratulating each other he sees Luhan. His face is full of tears. Yixing guesses he couldn’t hold them anymore. He goes over and hugs him once more. They’re all sweaty but none of that matters. His friend hugs tight back apparent to never wanting to let go. Yixing rubs a hand up and down his back in hopes to sooth him.

“It’s okay Han.” He whispers and Luhan doesn’t respond. His tears have stopped but he doesn’t let go. Yixing stays put for a while and when he thinks it’s the right time he tries the pull Luhan softly through the dress rooms towards the back exit. When they reach Luhan finally let’s go.

“I’m going to Korea Yixing.” He says with a blunt expression. Yixing breathes out. It was an idea Luhan had always pondered ever since they were younger. When they heard about the Korean transfers Luhan had made that as a sign of some sort. Yixing knows he talked to Sehun about this and that was probably the last thing his friend needed to make his decision.

“Oh. So you’re really decided about that?”

“Yes. I’ll take a shot. If anything I tried.” Yixing smiles and pats him in the back.

“I’m sure you’ll do well.”

“ I’ll miss you.” He hugs Yixing. “What am I going to do without your support and incredible stubbornness?” Yixing laughs and pushes him away indignantly.

“I’m not that stubborn. And you can always call me, you idiot.”

“Yeah…” Luhan smiles to the floor. It’s obvious he’s sad and Yixing knows it’s about the fact that he’ll have to leave home to go for something as scary as the unknown. Even if it isn’t the other side of the world there are still miles and miles of distance.

After their conversation they go inside to remove the now sticky outfits and horrible cake makeup off. When they’re ready to leave Yixing sees Jongin and Sehun waiting for them at the door. They get outside together. Jongin turns and he obviously wants to say something but doesn’t find his words right away.

“Well…” he scratches the back of his head. “I guess this is goodbye then.”

“God I hope not to see you there.” Luhan says behind gritted teeth but it was audible enough for the four of them to hear. Yixing elbows him.

“There?” Jongin asks.

“Never mind.” He shrugs off with a smile.

“It really was a pleasure to meet you.” He is talking to Yixing. “Both. I…Thank you…and sorry…I guess.”

“You’re a good dancer. If only you knew how to keep your mouth-”

“It was a pleasure to meet you too Jongin.” Yixing interrupts and reaches a hand for Jongin to shake. “You’re really talented. I hope everything turns out as you wished.” He smiles.

“Thank you.” He looks at Sehun from the corner of his eye with a soft smile.

“Sehun. Don’t forget me.” Luhan speaks as he also reaches a hand and even though reluctant he ends up shaking Jongin’s as well. They say their goodbyes and the two youngest make their way to a van to head home.

It’s the last day of school and the night air feels softly fresher today. Luhan asks Yixing if he’s staying and he tells him that he’ll be waiting for Wufan. They hug one last time and leave a promise of a better goodbye before Luhan packs to make trip to Korea.

Wufan appears a few minutes later and after congratulating him followed by a kiss he offers Yixing a ride home. It’s complementary really and expected since it’s already late at night and even if Yixing had set mind into going alone he knows Wufan wouldn’t let him. They enter the car and the ride once more happens as habitual. Soft music and a preeminent hand on Yixing’s lap.

“My mom wants to know you.” He shoots out of the blue.

“Oh…” It’s breathy and Yixing is a bit afraid of the meaning behind such interjection. “Okay, I guess…”

“It’s fine if you don’t want to.”

“No, no, you just caught me off guard. I’d love to meet your mother.” Yixing looks at him and Wufan is smiling.

“She wants to make dinner so…”

“Okay then…” he stops to ponder. “…tomorrow?”

“Yeah, tomorrow sounds good.” He smiles to himself. He starts to get a bit nervous anyway. It’s not really something he’s used to. There was only one boyfriend Yixing introduced to his mother and at the time he thought it was serious but it ended up being just a big disappointment. He remembers his mother being all excited as she met him and being utterly saddened when he told her they broke up. He still thinks she cares a whole lot and worries too much about his love life. He just wants to make her proud and somehow he feels to be failing in that department but Yixing never feels a hundred percent satisfied with himself anyway so he’ll never think to be good enough for others. A flaw Luhan likes to salient on him more often than not.

 

Uhm okay. I have nothing to say really. Luhan is going to pursuit his dream to be a performer and well.... Yeah...

Again thank you times a billion ;u; <3<3<3<3