The Choices of the Two Eighteen-Year-Olds

Family Network

 

A/N: Apologies for the incredible wait. Please Enjoy! :D 

Fast forward a little more than one year. 

 

Jonghyun now had a good paying job as part-time vocal coach and was busy being interviewed by companies. Onew, now in his final year of college, had now gotten into business school and was a year into his now paying internship at an entertainment company. Onew’s true passions were business and music so it was a perfect fit. Taemin was more happy than ever before. He and Kai were going to be together forever. 

 

Minho and Key. Two eighteen-year-olds. Graduation. College. Jobs. Money. Housing. Leaving family. One could say that it was a bit too much for the two, considering how close they were with their families. 

 

They had things that kept them grounded. Their loving, caring boyfriends. Onew and Jonghyun did everything they could to calm the two down, help them through the process, and tell the two that leaving home doesn’t mean it was for forever. 

 

Minho and Key had different ambitions. Key wanted to go into fashion, of course. Minho wanted to study many areas of history as well as film. They were scared out of their minds. 

 

It was saturday night, and Onew and Jonghyun decided to give up their boyfriends for the night so the two could talk things over together. Minho and Key thought very similarly about many things, being so close in age to one another. It was easy to talk. But mostly, they wanted to drink. 

 

Minho got into the drivers seat of Key’s car and Key drove to park in front of the football field at the park. Key had soju in the back of the car, nicely hidden. The two took shots while talking about many, many things. 

 

How many colleges did you apply for? Key sipped his soju contently. Just two. Why only two? It’s either I’m going to college with Onew hyung or Jonghyun hyung. I have a better chance of getting a head start in the fashion industry at the college for the arts. Jonghyun hyung suggested that if I go there, that he and I should both apply for the study abroad. It’s a half a semester in Japan and the other half in the US. That would be amazing for you two, you know. He could really get a handle on the large music industries there, and that would be amazing for you two! But... Onew hyung? Yeah. And you! And Taemin! I mean, you don’t have to worry, I already decided that I wanted to go to the same college as Onew hyung. I toured with him there a couple of times and I got in, so I figured. Hyung says the film program is amazing, and I can visit Taemin as much as I want, you know. Wha! Minho, you’re too smart! To go to the same college as Onew hyung. Do you think Taemin will be bullied still? Siwon and those idiots aren’t there anymore, and he has Kai. I think he’ll be okay at school. Plus, he’s going to be a 3rd year next year. He won’t be bothered. What about you, Min? What if I go to Japan and the US with Jonghyun? Will you and Onew hyung be okay? Key was genuinely worried about the two. Yes, the families were super close, but still. A whole year without the love of your life? That will seem like ages. Key didn’t want to be without Onew for a year and he was sure it was the same with Jonghyun and Minho. We will be fine. If Onew is being anti-social, I’ll just stay with him in his apartment and keep him company. And I’ll be okay as long as Jonghyun and you call or write. But  you know, going there, I’m expecting you to come back famous, you know. Yah! They were having a good time together. Having two amazing boyfriends did not leave much time for Minho and Key to spend some good quality time with each other. The two chatted some more about how they were overwhelmed at all the stuff going on in their lives. They also didn’t like the idea of not going to school together anymore, but knew this was too good of an opportunity for Jonghyun and Key to pass up. 

 

Key, feeling too close to crying about leaving wanted to shift the attention away from him (which almost never happens) and ask Minho something he was dying to find out. 

 

So. You still haven’t told me what happened on the day you and Jonghyun...confessed to each other. I didn’t think... I’m you’re favorite. We have all been waiting. Tell me. Now. 

 

Flashback 

 

Minho couldn’t stop staring at Jonghyun across the table, who was intently looking at his menu and sticking out his tongue. It’s his thinking face. 

 

Are you going to stare at me all day or are you going to order something, Minho ah? 

 

The waitress was there looking dreamily at Minho. Minho didn’t notice because he had been doing the same to Jonghyun, but Jonghyun on the other hand didn’t like other people ogling his Minho, so he wanted him to order as soon as possible. 

 

Sorry hyung. 

 

Minho ordered and the two sat there in silence. It was a little too awkward. The silence was then shattered when they heard loud laughing erupt at a table behind them. It was Taemin and Kai taking stupid selcas with their phones on LineCamera and then adding cute stamps to them, and then proceeding to send them to Sulli to bother her. 

 

Why the heck are those two here?! 

Yah. It’s a public place, and we didn’t tell any of them which restaurant we were going to. They must be on a date. 

 

Minho crossed his arms over his chest and let his hair fall in his face, looking intensely at Jonghyun, who he was still very hurt by. Minho couldn’t be nice to Jonghyun. Not after what he had seen. Twice. 

 

I thought this was a date. 

If we were somehow together, I guess it could have been, hyung. 

 

Minho’s words hurt Jonghyun, although he himself knew he deserved it. He was too much of a coward to tell Minho then, and it ended up hurting both of them now. 

 

Interrupting Jonghyun’s thoughts was a cute girl with colorful hair entering the restaurant, followed by two other taller girls. Minho followed Jonghyun’s line of sight to see Sunny, Seohyun, and Yuri walking into the restaurant. 

 

Minho smiled at them and waved. Jonghyun narrowed his eyes. Jonghyun recognized these girls, but it didn’t matter. Minho wasn’t smiling nicely at him. 

 

Minho ah! Sunny got up and strolled over to their table. 

Hi Sunny noona. 

Hi...um...oh! Jonghyun! You’re Key’s older brother right? 

Neh. That’s me. 

 

Jonghyun couldn’t have been less enthusiastic. He felt sorta bad. Sunny was nice and all, but his Minho was smiling at her. Not him. 

 

Anyway...sorry to bother you, Minho. I just wanted to wish you good luck on your college entrance exams. We’re going to miss you a lot over at the salon. I don’t know how were going to bring in as much business. 

 

Minho raised one of his eyebrows, completely ignoring Jonghyun’s angry look out of the corner of his eye. 

I think I have the perfect solution to that problem. See those two boys over there?

Minho pointed to the table where Taemin and Kai were still taking selcas. 

Omo! Thats your precious friend Taemin! 

Neh. And that is his boyfriend Kai. If you hire the two of them, they will bring in more business than me. 

Wha! Minho, you are a genius. They are so handsome! 

Anything for you Sunny, you helped me a lot while I was working. I’ll come and visit because I’m going to the same college as Onew hyung. 

My dongsaeng is so smart! Sunny patted Minho’s hair and leaned down to give him a friendly peck on the cheek. 

Ok Min, I’ll leave you to your meal. Give Onew and Key kisses and hugs for me! Keke...bye Jonghyun, it was nice seeing you again! 

Neh. Same. 

 

Jonghyun couldn’t have been less enthusiastic.

 

Sunny walked away giving Minho one last shoulder squeeze. 

 

Yah! You could have been nicer and friendlier to Sunny noona! She’s a good friend and helped me a lot, yeah. 

You are usually not a touchy-feely person, Minho. Now hurry up and eat your food. We need to talk. 

 

Minho picked at his food, not really that hungry anymore. Jonghyun couldn’t hold it in anymore. He stood up, threw his chopsticks down, slapped the money on the table and dragged Minho out of the restaurant by his wrist. Minho thought this was very familiar behavior, meaning like dinosaur, like mushroom. 

 

Taemin must have learned how to interrupt meals from you. 

 

Jonghyun was silent. He made Minho get into the car, and they sped off towards Minho’s house. 

 

Jonghyun barged through the doors of Minho’s house, still dragging Minho by the wrist. They walked in and Key was fixing his bowtie in the mirror near the living room, obviously dressed up for a night out with Onew hyung. 

 

Hey guys! Did you have a good...Can it Key! Don’t wanna hear it! What?! Are you ing serious dino? You are actually...SLAM! Jonghyun shut the door to the basement on Key’s face so loudly, a picture frame fell on Key’s foot, causing the diva to emit a series of colorful swear words. 

 

Jonghyun didn’t care what hell he could catch later for that. He led Minho down the stairs of the basement at sat on the stage, Minho still standing, shocked and confused at what to do. 

 

 Upstairs, they heard Taemin and Kai walk in telling Key that they were heading to the park to watch fireworks. Minho frowned. He wanted to watch fireworks too. But he couldn’t. He was locked in his own basement, held captive, but more or less with the last person he wanted to talk to at the moment. 

 

Choi Minho! What is up with you?! 

Why don’t you take a minute and ask yourself that question, eh hyung? 

Tell me what is going on Minho! With you! With your life. I need to know! 

We already talked about this hyung! We talked and now I’m done with this!

Tell me Minho!!! Why do you run away all the damn time? I’m an idiot the majority of the time, so I sometimes can’t catch up to you and throw you to the ground to make you know I’m here! I’m slow and stupid! TELL ME NOW!!! 

 

Jonghyun’s veins were popping out of his neck, he was furious. Livid, so angry, he felt like passing out. 

 

Tell me Minho! Tell me! 

Stop it hyung! Haven’t you already made your choice? How about you go look at that girl with concerned eyes!? Why do you want to know what is going on with me so bad? 

*through gritted teeth* I swear to god Minho, tell me now what is going on that has made you so bitter and sad and depressed. Tell me why you run away from your problems. I know you aren’t a coward when it comes to other’s problems but when it comes to yours, you go limp, and then the only strength you can find is in your legs so you can run away from what is going on. 

 

Snap. Minho snapped. Yelling. 

 

TAEMIN GETS BULLIED AND I KNEW THAT AND YET I LEFT AND HE ALMOST GOT . IF KAI WASN’T THERE...AND KEY! HE GETS IN CONSTANT TROUBLE FOR DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG! I HAVE TO CALL HIS PHONE PRETENDING TO BE YOUR MOM SO HE CAN HAVE AN OUT! THE PRINCIPLE IS A BASTARD AND TAKES HIS ANGER AND HOMOPHOBIA ON YOUR BROTHERS...AND SOMETIMES I CAN’T PROTECT THEM! I....I....AND THAT DAY...YOU KNOW THAT DAY....YOU WERE IN THE HOSPITAL...I WAS GOING TO TELL YOU....AND YOU WERE LOOKING AT HER! LOOKING AT HER IN A WAY YOU NEVER LOOK AT ME AND I THOUGHT....I THOUGHT...YOU...

 

Jonghyun knew this. He knew everything that Minho said except how Minho felt about all of this. Minho was shaking and crying...and so was Jonghyun. This was much too painful for the both of them. Jonghyun hugged Minho’s back tightly to make him stop shaking and to hold him back from running away again. 

 

Never. Run. Away. From. Me. Ever. Again. Choi. Minho. That was the last time you will ever attempt to do it again. Listen to me. Minho! I don’t love her. I was comforting her because she liked me! She forced that kiss onto me and I couldn’t move I was so shocked. She confessed to me, but because she was my friend I didn’t know how she would react to how I was gay. I was looking at her because I was sorry that I hurt her, but not sorry for the reason as to why I did what I did. 

 

Minho was still shaking. Jonghyun just held onto his back tighter, one arm now around Minho’s waist. 

 

You’re...you're interested in someone else hyung, I get it now. 

 

Jonghyun leaned down to Minho’s ear. Jonghyun through tears tried to whisper. 

 

I am not interested in someone else. There has only ever been one I have truly loved, but I am too much of an idiot for not doing this sooner. I love you Choi Minho. Forever. Always. I am not letting you go, so don’t think about running away from me. 

 

Minho was shocked. He quickly looked up to see his hyung’s face, when Jonghyun captured his lips for the very first time. In a flash, turned around and enveloped his crying hyung into the tightest hug. Jonghyun began to kiss Minho’s face and hands. Crying still. 

 

Hours and hours passed. 

 

The two were more exhausted and sleep was about to consume them. 

 

They went upstairs, and shared a bed for the first time, Minho sleeping in Jonghyun’s comforting arms. For two days. 

 

End of flashback. 

 

Wow. That is like a drama Minhooooo! Key hyung~! Yah! Just admit it it! You two...perrrrfect for each other yo! You drank a lot neh? Keke. I don’t drink a lot. It is j...just thaaaat when I begin to drink, I just drink properlyyy~ Key hyung you need to get home and sleep! Did anyone tell you Min, that youuu are pretty? Like Taeminnie only manlier....hmmmmmmmm I think I’m pretty too yeahh! 

 

 

The two eighteen-year-olds were pretty drunk. It was clear that Minho was not nearly as drunk as Key. Key was now feeling Minho’s face and trying to tie his boot laces together which meant that it was time to go home. They would leave Key’s car there and walk home. 

 

All decisions and possibilities were sort of worked out in the car of the two middle children, as Onew and Jonghyun called them. 

 

Key was going to school with Jonghyun and they were going to go to the US and Japan. 

Minho was going to go to college at Onew’s alma mater and would be there for both his older brother and Taemin for the year and a half the other two would be gone. 

 

It was scary as , but they had decided. 

 

A/N: Sorry it is so long but I warned you! Last four chappies will be long and complex and full of things! Hope you enjoyed! Key drunk...whatta site it would be.