The Backstory

Family Network

 

You can call it fate or whatever, but it was obvious that two particular families were absolutely meant to meet and bond. On the same street, Chestnut Road, there once were two sets of equally devastated parents. Both couples, Choi Sung Hyun and Lee Hye Min and Kim Oh Seok and Lee Min Young could not have any children due to medical complications. Weeks were spent in depression and desperation. Their lives seemed empty. 

 

The two couples met at the therapy center. Both discovered their situations and both were receiving guidance for the same reasons, so the couples chatted and got along really well in the therapy waiting room. This was their first session for both couples so they were both uncomfortable and nervous. Choi Sung Hyun was trying to calm his wife, Lee Hye Min, who not only suffered from depression because she couldn’t have children, but also guilt because she couldn’t give her husband a child to cherish. Hye Min and Sung Hyun quickly discovered that Kim Oh Seok and Lee Min Young had the same exact feelings so they requested that they have a group therapy session. 

 

Months go by and the two couples are helping each other and become close friends after discovering, yet again another connection to one another, that they lived on the exact same street. It was mutually decided that they would team up and find out how to adopt children. 

 

A few years pass and the two couples are accepted into the adoption program. Oh Seok and Min Young wanted three children and because of the layout of the house, the size of the home, and the stable jobs both parents had, they were able to adopt three beautiful sons. 

 

Sung Hyun and Hye Min, also accepted into the program had stable jobs and a spacious home, however, Hye Min did not have the best health and frequents at the hospital so they were able to adopt two beautiful sons, which was exactly how many children they always desired. It takes years upon years though for the couples to be able to bring their sons home, of course. After many trips to the orphanage, thousands of papers and trips to the adoption center, the happy couples were able to bring their sons home. 

 

Oh Seok and Min Young had now adopted, 4 year old Kim Jonghyun, 3 year old Kim Kibum, and a few month old baby, Lee Taemin. On the other side of the street, Sung Hyun and Hye Min had now adopted 5 year old Lee Jinki and 2 year old Choi Minho. 

 

Both couples helped each other set up rooms for their sons. Jonghyun would share a room with his younger brother Kibum. It was a beautiful sky blue room with dark wooden drawers and two twin beds stained the same color. Both beds had red and blue patchwork bedding with pillows that had their names stitched in. Baby Taemin would eventually move into the super spacious room but for now, he would sleep in a small baby’s room connected to Oh Seok and Min Young’s room equipped with everything from a monitor to a rocking chair. They had another extra room in case one of the boys wanted to express himself artistically and gain his freedom by moving to the downstairs room. 

 

Hye Min and Sung Hyun decided their sons would have separate rooms just because Jinki was already 5 years old. The rooms were connected and the boys would share a bathroom. For now, the rooms were similar, but the boys could do whatever they wanted to them when they grew up. Minho’s room had navy blue walls and shiny wooden furniture. The pillows and decorations were accented by orange and white. Jinki’s room had green walls and shiny furniture as well. The room was accented by blues and reds and both rooms had window seats as well. 

 

The couples wanted their sons to explore different activities so both built a stage in their basements and bought sports equipment, art supplies, and children’s instruments so they could let their children find their true talents. 

 

Everything was going beautifully. Their lives were full of happiness and the couples’ sons brightened their lives every single day. 

A/N: I hope you enjoy this beginning chapter. I just wanted to give you the story about how these families came together. I think family history will make this story a lot richer. Thanks.