The Relationships and the Beginnings of Change

Family Network

 

A/N: To describe the dynamic between the friends, (I already did the family relationships so yeah) I am using their couple names just to show relationships but you all already know who is gonna be with you. Only I do need a pairing for Tae. Enjoy! It's long. 

 

Jongyu. Jonghyun and Onew were like partners in crime. As the oldest boys in the group, they always loved to lead the others. While Onew was a bit more responsible than Jonghyun, Onew couldn’t resist the rush and dangers in being a rule breaker. When they used to play pranks, Onew would always get Jonghyun out of being punished and sometimes even took the blame for things he was never even apart of. Them two always go out to get chicken together and as singers, loved to do duets with one another. Some of the best times they had were in Jonghyun’s room with a bowl of popcorn, a notebook, and Jonghyun’s guitar. They were the oldest, and their parents put a lot of responsibility on them to fully take care of the others which was hard because at 18 and 20, they weren’t exactly qualified to be authoritative figures to two 17 year olds and a 16 year old. Jonghyun’s room was an escape from school and work and college applications, and everything. Getting older and thinking about leaving your friends who are like family is super depressing so they had a master plan worked out. Onew is attending Seoul University, a top university for a top notch student like himself. Jonghyun will be attending Seoul’s Music and Performing Arts School. Their parents agreed that them two, as long as they were responsible, could live in an apartment together. Two men, close as brothers, living life to the fullest. This is Jongyu. 

 

Ontae. Taemin loved his Onew hyung. He was another older brother in Taemin’s life and Taemin treasured him. Onew had a very young personality and Taemin understood why he did. Onew was 20 and had a lot on his plate and had a lot of stress so hanging out with the 16 year old that loved junk food and video games and annoying Minho created the perfect relaxing environment for Onew. And Taemin loved being that person who could give him that environment. Taemin was capable of making Onew laugh when no one else could, not even Minho. (side note: If you are in a bad mood, Minho is not exactly the best person to make you laugh, unless his awkwardness when trying to be hilarious to make you feel better tickles your funny bone.) Taemin could easily talk about all his problems to Onew. Like Jonghyun and Onew, Taemin and Onew had a special place as well. The large tree in Onew’s back yard had huge roots that formed almost chairs on either side of the trunk so Taemin and him would spend hours and hours talking or crying or ranting about everything they needed to talk or cry or rant about. Taemin could lift Onew’s spirits but other times pain him because whatever was causing salty, sad tears to fall on the maknae’s angelic face, he might not be able to make it go away for his “little brother”. This is Ontae. 

 

Onkey. Onkey was a different story all together. Words that came to both Key and Onew’s mind about their friendship? Confusing and wonderful. Key and Jonghyun were proud of their uality. It was a trying time for the two brothers to come out of the closet to their parents and friends, but it was comforting knowing that both of them were going through it and could talk about it whenever they needed to. The others, however were often left confused about any feelings about anyone because they were too busy, too clueless, or too young. Another reason Onew, Minho, and Taemin weren’t big on relationships was because they have seen their two friends/brothers hurt so many times. Jonghyun and Key struggled to find the one. But deep down, Key already knew he found him. Onew. Onew was absolutely perfect in Key’s eyes. Key, who seemed like a confident badass diva, ever since middle school would get butterflies when looking at his handsome and utterly cute Onew hyung. Key’s favorite thing to do when all the boys had a sleepover (which was really, really often) after getting over the initial anger and annoyance that early bird Jonghyun (always the first to awaken) caused him by waking him up, would be getting to tiptoe over to his Onew hyung’s sleeping form, all wrapped up in blankets, and gently try to wake him up. Onew was a hard worker (a quality that Key found really attractive) and was such a sleepyhead so it was hard to wake up the lovely boy. 

 

But they all knew the wake up order had been decided for a reason. Jonghyun woke up early cause he was always super hungry any time between 6:00 and 7:30 in the morning. Key could cook breakfast well so he would be woken up by his older brother and would stomp off to make whatever his needy hyung wanted. Key was strategically put in the 2nd position also because the other three boys were wildly more difficult to wake up than the first two. (Also Jonghyun knew Key had a thing for Onew and thought it would be cute if he woke his hyung up.) Onew would take about 12 minutes to be woken up. The next two boys were the most challenging. Taemin, when woken up would be the most whiny and clingy thing you have ever seen. Onew was the only one who could calm him down and put up with him in the mornings so Onew was to wake Taemin. But the most difficult one to wake went by the name of Choi Minho. Taemin took great pleasure in annoying his hyung who was very different from his brother, but Taemin was also the only one who knew that Minho’s feet were extremely ticklish. No one dared to tickle Minho just because of his flaming charisma death stare he would give his invader. It was quite scary. But Taemin, knew Minho’s kryptonite so he would be the one to wake the sleeping rapper. Key always set an alarm for Minho because if no one woke him up, he could sleep for 2 days straight! Taemin would walk to Minho and wait to pounce as if it was a special on discovery channel. Minho, at the speed of lightning would reach out his long arm and slap the alarm clock so hard to make it snooze, he would break it. (So many alarm clocks have been bought, when will Key ever learn.) Taemin would then get this evil smirk on his face and lunge for Minho’s large (fun fact: which are not as large as Key’s feet) and tickle them. Minho would scrunch up his face and let out a loud booming LEE TAEMIN, DO YOU WANT TO DIE??! AIGOO!! Taemin didn’t care he would peck his hyung on the cheek and say/shout/sing GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE MINHO! KEY MADE BREAKFAST! and then skip out of the room without a care in the world. Minho would have to get up if he wants to kill me hehehe, Taemin would think and smirk to himself. ANYWAY, back to Onkey: Onew also got a funny feeling in his stomach and his heart always would beat faster anytime he would bump into Key or find him in the kitchen making breakfast for his older brother dinosaur and his favorite thing was to wake up after a sleepover to Key’s cute and handsome face. Key could wake up and still look just as perfect. They themselves had a special place to relax and talk about their futures. Key’s walk in closet was so large, there was a nice wooden table with seats in the middle of it. Here Onew would calm Key down whenever he was having problems with classes or...other guys. *sad sigh* They never opened up about their feelings to each other and they tried to hide it from themselves and others, but it was clear as day to the other three boys that they seriously liked each other. Jonghyun thought his Onew hyung was perfect for Key. They went together so well and completed each other. But the two were also afraid that being in a relationship would mess up their friend dynamic. This is the confusing Onkey. 

 

2min. As it was stated before, Taemin knew exactly how to get under his Minho hyung’s skin. Taemin could irritate and torment his hyung better than anyone else. But Taemin looked up to Minho hyung. (literally and mentally.) Minho’s drive and competitive nature astounded Taemin. One time, Minho felt he needed to try to beat Onew hyung’s score on a large Japanese literature test. Onew hyung had taken it 3 years before and got a perfect score and then some. Minho was the worst out of the five (Key was the best.) when it came to Japanese. (Key was in advanced Japanese so he did not take this test.) Minho studied for hours and hours with the help of Key and tried desperately to beat his hyung. This wasn’t so he could get his grade up, it was just so he could beat someone at something other than sports. He didn’t. He received a significantly lower score than his hyung because he confused himself greatly during the test. It still eats away at him and Taemin, oh Taemin, would never let Minho live it down, but he still admired Minho’s work ethic and need to win. Minho had lots of fun with Taemin especially when it came to competitive things that he could beat him in. Minho could beat Taemin at football, basketball, video games, pinball, go-carts, black jack, poker and the famous annual two liter soda drinking contest. (Minho wasn’t a fan of this contest because it could interfere with his athletic build, but Taemin would beg him to take part in it. Without Minho, none of the other boys could even dream of drinking all two liters. This competition happened over a holiday weekend so Minho could simply drink and then sleep for as long as he wanted.) Taemin couldn’t tell his Minho everything the way he could tell Onew hyung everything because Minho was so, so protective of Taemin, he knew Minho would rip anyone who hurt him to shreds. Anytime Onew wasn’t available though, he went to Minho, who was always a calming presence as well. Minho was so awkward when trying to comfort him, that Taemin would have no choice but to laugh hard at his flustered hyung. Taemin thought the confident and charismatic Minho was adorable when flustered. The two could just be teenagers together. Minho would drive Taemin everywhere and would always be the first one to arrive at Taemin’s dance performances. Their special place to just be kids and complain about their hyungs was Minho’s sports equipment shed. His parents built it for him when they realized he took to sports like a nail to a magnet. Inside there was all of his school sports stuff, cross training equipment, and a ping pong table as well as a TV with a small couch. No one went in there too often just because most of the boys did’t take to sports like he did and didn’t feel like hearing Minho scream at the TV when his football team was losing. Taemin loved it in there though because they could just be immature teens. This is 2min. 

 

Minkey. Key and Minho had very different interests but were the same age so when Taemin was busy, them two could have 17-year-old fun. And yes to Key, no one was more fun to get drunk with than Minho. When the others were busy singing, writing, working, dancing, whatever, the two 17 year olds would pretend to be spies and try to search for Jonghyun and Onew’s stash of Soju. Key knew exactly when Minho wasn’t practicing or doing homework because they were in the same classes (except for Japanese.) so Key could always count on Minho to drive him to the mall. Minho, not being a huge fan of shopping for hours, still enjoyed getting knew clothes and spending time with his loud and opinionated Key hyung. Key was such a mom and nagged Minho the most out of all the boys because he knew Minho was often reckless because many of the crazy things Minho does, he does with Key so Key would always try to keep him in line especially on school nights. On the other hand, Minho keeps Key down to earth. Minho could convince Key that he really didn’t have enough money to buy the $250.00 shirt and Taemin a birthday present. Minho would have Key purchase a lovely gift for Taemin and then add the shirt on a long physical list of things that Key wanted. For holidays and birthdays, Minho, who saved tons of money from competitions and his job at the hair salon (he didn’t style hair, he was just the ultra attractive guy at the desk who checked everyone in and had them coming back more frequently. Wonder why...) would purchase one of the things he knew that Key wanted but couldn’t buy himself. Key loved that Minho did this so he never actually asked for money from Minho. Key sweet talked his precious Onew into it, (something he felt bad about doing but Onew couldn’t care less as long as he made his secret but not that secret love happy.) and happened to know where his two brothers’ stash of money was so he never needed to ask. Their special place was Minho’s car. The trips to the mall and back and forth from the hair salon where Key got his hair done and liked to embarrass Minho by gossiping with all the girls who worked there, allowed them to bond. When either boy was feeling stressed or out-shined by their talented siblings and friends, they would unwind in Minho’s car, or as Key liked to call it, the chamber of secrets. (Key thought he was sooo funny and clever.) Key always had ways of showing affection to the often distant Minho. Minho wasn’t really outgoing, it took a long time for him to open up. Key was worried that Minho sometimes felt excluded or forgotten so Key would leave tiny little clues for Minho, showing how much he was loved and appreciated. Key would buy him Keroro pajama pants and set them on his bed, (as a joke, saying Minho looked like a frog.) he would use the window marker and draw a cute face on the back window of Minho’s car to cheer him up, he would set aside a piece of whatever baked good he made for when Minho came home late from practice, he would always give Minho the remaining icing from the cinnamon rolls he made no matter how much the others begged for it or how large and shiny Jonghyun’s puppy dog eyes would get, and he would always comment on Minho’s outfit choices at school because Minho had quite the eye for fashion. It was not as in your face as his own style was, but it was comfortable, unique, and made him look ever so handsome. Minho also never pushed the issue of Onew hyung because he never wants to upset Key. This is Minkey. 

 

Jongho. Another confusing, confusing relationship. Jonghyun would never of thought he would fall for a guy like Minho, much less Minho himself. He used to imagine himself with a person just as outgoing as himself and *hopefully* shorter than him. Minho was neither of those things and also could show him up in any sports competition. But Jonghyun, when he was 15 and Minho was 14, found himself falling for the boy with the cute but insanely handsome face, giant beautiful eyes, and legs that went on forever. Jonghyun was a king, no the king of skinship, something that Minho, wasn’t exactly comfortable with when he was younger. Jonghyun and Key would literally try to do anything in their power to make sure Minho was comfortable, but what Jonghyun never expected was how commanding and eyecatching Minho was out on the playing field. Jonghyun thought it was just an admiration of some sort. Then it turned into a “tiny” crush. He thought it was just because of Minho’s cool but sweet and sincere personality. But then, Jonghyun would find himself getting butterflies whenever Minho’s chocolate eyes would meet his, whenever Minho smiled that adorable smile, or when Minho’s quiet chuckle turned into a loud laugh that made everyone laugh even harder. Jonghyun thought every night before going to bed, trying to pump himself up to try to feel braver, “I mean, Minho has never had a relationship so why not? He deserves someone who can love him unconditionally from the start, not some fan girl who doesn’t actually care about his personality. Why can’t I be in love with him? He’s perfect for me and responsible (Minho is very responsible but not when he really wants to drink and that really only happens with Key.) and our friends would support us no matter what. And we’re already great friends, we have a history and a past and I know that this isn’t a crush anymore. It’s just complete and total love. All I need to do is make sure Minho knows how I feel and then progress from there. He’s strong, but I bet he’s fragile and would make the perfect boyfriend. I just look at him and know how tired and stressed he is and I just want to make him happy and take care of him. Not the way Key does like a mom, though. This could work, Minho just needs to let me in even more.” 

 

It would be a challenge, but a challenge Jonghyun was willing to take. Minho on the other hand, could easily tell that Jonghyun increased the amount skinship towards him. But it wasn’t the normal flirtatious joking he pulled with Onew hyung or the brotherly hugs he gave his..well brothers. It was loving and nurturing and beautiful. Minho was touched that he was the recipient of this attention from Jonghyun. Their special place was the stage in Minho and Onew’s basement. The stage was pretty large and was built will lighting and a backdrop and curtains as well. Minho sometimes needed to hear something as soothing as Jonghyun’s singing voice to calm him down. Although Jonghyun was a tad jealous that Minho opened up to Key the most, (sometimes even more than to his own brother) He would always be happy to sing to Minho. But what Key didn’t know was that when Minho was reduced to tears (which didn’t happen too often) he would only go to Onew and Jonghyun. Minho couldn’t cry in front of Key. Key was not the most understanding and Minho didn’t need someone to take action and tell him to stop crying. Minho needed someone to rub gentle circles on his back, play with his hair, and sing him to sleep. This was Jonghyun’s responsibility. When Onew couldn’t make his younger brother feel better, he would call for Jonghyun to come over and Jonghyun would bring down his guitar, close the stage curtains and comfort Minho until he fell asleep. Minho noticed Jonghyun’s lingering hugs and more frequent I love you’s. He could tell that Jonghyun flinched and shivered every time their hands would brush up against each other, and Jonghyun back hugged Minho like they were a couple in a emotional rain scene in a K-drama on a normal basis. Minho finally came to the conclusion that Jonghyun LIKED him. And he knew there was a place in his heart (romantically) for Jonghyun too. How would he convey his feelings and how would he ever get to the point where he could love as openly as Jonghyun did? Minho was worried if he ever did get in a relationship, that he would be too distant or push his partner away. With someone as emotional as his hyung, Minho didn’t want to toy or play with Jonghyun’s feelings. He wanted to be with his talented hyung that brims with confidence and raw feeling, but how? This is Jongho. 

A/N: I loved writing this chapter. Hoped you liked reading it! A lot of emotional baggage each character is carrying. Ah god I love writing about Key and Minho's friendship. They alwasy seem like unlikely friends but they make for an extremely funny but sweet friendship.