Taemin Pretty Much Can't Take it Anymore

Family Network

 

A/N: Warm weather did help! My busy weekend was busy. There’s a lot of Kai in this chapter :D Enjoy! 

 

Flashback (all in bold and italics) 

 

A group sleepover at the Kim/Lee brothers’ house, they are playing hide and seek. Onew is 10, Minho and Key are 7, Jonghyun is 8, and Taemin is 6. The parents are upstairs talking. It is dark outside and it’s raining too. 

 

Onew is the seeker. He finds Key first, who couldn’t think of a hiding spot, so he sits in the middle of the living room, arms crossed over his chest in protest to the game that he can’t win. Onew sits down next to Key, hugging him, telling him he could be a seeker too. Key brightens up immediately. They make a plan. Now that Minho was about taller than Onew and had mile long legs already, his legs would stick out, so he would be easy to find. Taemin would probably get scared, so he would hide in a room that had the lights on. His umma would probably put him in the broom closet with the light on and try to divert the seeker away from the closet. Easy enough. Key and Onew wouldn’t buy it. Jonghyun, on the other hand was amazing at hide and seek. He was unpredictable and small. He could fit anywhere. There was no telling where he might be hiding. 

 

Well it turned out that the three other boys went over to Minho and Onew’s house thinking that that the other house was within game limits, which it wasn’t. Key was scary and Onew was smart, so the three decided to hide in the storage room at the back of Minho and Onew’s basement, thinking that they would win for sure. They would technically win because they were hiding in the wrong house. The three were chuckling, thinking they were so smart. However, as soon as Jonghyun slammed the windowless storage room door, it locked from the outside, leaving a very scared 6, 7, and 8 year old in an old storage room. 

 

Taemin begins to freak out. It’s dark outside, and it begins to thunder. Jonghyun rubs his back to calm down while he looks to Minho to try to figure out a way to open the door or get out. They didn’t have cell phones, walkie talkies, or anything, so unless Key and Onew came, they were in there for a while. 

 

Onew and Key were sort of freaking out at this point. Where were the others? 

 

Hyung, how are we going to get out? Where are the ummas and appas? Taeminnie, don’t worry! I’m here and Minho is here and we’re gonna get out real soon! Jonghyun looks at Minho with worry. Even at a young age, Minho took on a lot to protect his friends. Jonghyun admired that a lot. Minho was stacking pillows on a chair to get to the tiny little screened window at the very back of the storage room, but falls and hits the ground. Jonghyun gets up from Taemin, leaving him with a teddy bear to hug, and goes over to help the now crying Minho. Minho, the boy who never cried was crying. Minho’s ankle was swollen and it hurt a lot. 

 

Minho! Why did you try to climb? That was dangerous! Hyung! I was trying to find a way out! Where are Key and Onew hyung? Did they forget about us? Ani! They are looking for us right now! They probably can’t find us because we’re in such a good hiding spot! Keke! What if they give up? What if you and Taeminnie find a way out but I can’t climb because of my ankle? Will you forget about me? Minho was being an irrational 7 year old, scared and hurt, but the what-ifs were making Jonghyun upset. He would never leave Minho in a million billion years! Minho, give me your pinky! I am going to promise right now that I will never forget about you and always take care of you forever! Jonghyun needed a witness. He looked around, and found the small mushroomed hair boy, who stopped crying a while ago, playing with the stuffed animals in the corner of the storage room. Taeminnie! Over here! Come be our witness! Taemin came ninja rolling over to the two boys, sitting next to Minho, holding his hand. Okay, Hyunggie. I’m here to witness! Taemin, I am promising to Minho that I will never forget about him and take care of him forever. Okay? Okay! I think it would be better to marry Minho too. The two boys blushed. Taeminnie! Promise to not kiss anyone else but Minho! Taeminnie! Ah! FINE! I promise not to kiss anyone else but MInho! Minho was beet red. This demanding 6 year old was crazy! If you break it! I’ll be really mad Jonghyunnie hyung! You’re just a silly mushroom Tae! 

 

Key and Onew then walked in, soaking wet because they looked outside as well and then found lights on in the other house. Key, his hair all messed up, was one angry 8 year old. Onew didn’t seem to mind so much because he was glad everyone was alive, but he knew that Key only cared. YAH! THIS WAS NOT A HIDING PLACE! Umma!!!~ Jonghyunnie hyung and Minho hyung are getting married!!! Jonghyun needs to pass school and Minho needs to win a soccer championship first! Hyung~ What are you saying?! They were all laughing as they helped Minho up the stairs. 

 

End of flashback. Thoughts are now in italics. 

 

Taemin, who was in the passenger seat of the car, was just staring at the soaking wet Minho, who looked dead and tired and had tears running down his face. Taemin had honestly never yelled like that at his hyungs, and never felt so angry in his life. He was working hard to make everyone happy and in all honesty, neither couple was easy. At least Onew and Key were progressing, but then Jonghyun just HAD to go and mess it all up! There are many ways he could have avoided kissing her, even if he didn’t want to, and he should be at Minho’s feet, apologizing right now. The pabo had blew Minho off, forgotten him before, and now this...how many more honest mistakes, like Key said, will Minho be able to take? 

Minho was still silent. Tears trying to escape his eyes, but never doing so. He didn’t want to cry, he wanted to pretend it didn’t happen. Impossible. He felt so hurt. So so so hurt. That one kiss...he held his heart as he walked up his driveway. Because of the emergency call, they were excused from school by their parents who were now taking Jonghyun to the hospital to get his ankle checked out. (Taemin had called them when they were driving to help) Minho didn’t have practice on a count of terrible, terrible weather, and if the power was still off at school, he, Taemin, and Key would not have classes either. Taemin was going to leave Minho to himself, like he usually wanted to be, however, when Taemin saw Minho collapse to his knees in front of his front door, Taemin knew he couldn’t leave his hyung like that. Taemin couldn’t even imagine the hurt that Minho was feeling. Ever since Taemin told Minho he would help him, they have gotten closer, so Taemin had no problem walking Minho to his couch and hugging him while Minho buried into Taemin trying not to cry. If anything, Taemin knew that after the shock and sadness, Minho would be damn angry, but yet again try to hide it. After hours of comforting Minho, he went up to his room, angry, but thankful that Taemin was there. Taemin was pissed. 

 

Taemin needed someone to talk to, but everyone else was at the hospital while Jonghyun was getting his ankle taken care of. Taemin then called Kai. 

 

Yoboseyo? Taemin? Hyung?

 

Kai! Are...are you busy right now? 

 

No, I was just finishing my homework after dance practice. Everything ok?

 

No..Kai...I need you to come over...I need you right now. Please.

 

Taemin, are you crying?!

 

Everything is going wrong! Where are you? 

 

I’m at the dance studio. Do you want me to come?

 

Ani...I’ll come to you.

 

Taemin! It’s still raining hard! I’m coming right now!

 

Thanks Kai. 

 

Anything for you Tae! K I’m coming!

 

Taemin broke down. How could Jonghyun be so stupid? And how could anyone ever hurt Minho? Why was his plan not working? He promised that he would help and he couldn’t. Kai showed up about fifteen minutes later, running into Onew and Minho’s father who came with food for his son and Taemin.

 

Kai! What are you doing all soaking wet? Are you here to see Taemin? 

N...Neh...Mr. Choi. Then I was going to make sure Minho was okay. Will he be okay?

 

The parents found out everything from Onew who also warned them not to mention it as to not make Jonghyun more upset. Jonghyun was shocked, felt terrible, and missed Minho more than anything, but he was also hurt and tired and cold and exhausted from Key’s yelling and Onew yelling back at Key to make him stop talking about it. Nothing was worse. Absolutely NOTHING was worse than seeing tears about to escape Minho’s downright magical eyes. 

 

It was all a misunderstanding, my boy...but all these guys are so stubborn and jump to conclusions and Taemin seems to be working hard to fix it all. It’s good that you’re here for them. Sulli and Joon should be coming over to cheer Minho up, so maybe once Taemin is feeling better, you and him could go too. The hyungs have quite a bit to talk about, so an dinner out without them might do the trick. I’ll give these dumplings to my son, hows about you give these to the mushroom? And get inside and find some towels! Don’t get sick!

Neh! Mr. Choi! I will! Thank you very much! I’ll cheer them up.

You’re a very good boy, Kim Jongin, thank you for being there for the boys, especially Taemin. 

 

(A/N: Keep in mind the parents consider all five of them their sons and they all consider Kai in the family as well as Joon and Sulli because the boys have been good friends with all of them for a long time) 

 

Kai texted Sulli and Joon to get to Minho’s soon as he ran up to Taemin’s room, towel drying his rain-soaked hair. Taemin was in the middle of the three pushed together beds, hugging his stuffed frog, the stuffed dinosaur on the floor....and a really good looking hole in the wall. Tae is really upset. He’s so caring. DId he kick that hole in the wall?! Taemin the hardwoking cupid. Kai blushed. He wasn’t sure how to go about getting Taemin’s attention because he was not facing the door, so Kai gently reached over to try to tap Taemin’s shoulder. Before he could even  touch Taemin’s shoulder though, Taemin grasped onto his wrist and pulled him onto the bed next to him. Taemin then grabbed Kai’s long, lean arms and wrapped them around his thin waist like a blanket. Kai was shocked, but he never felt so comfortable or important in his life. His heart was beating fast. BOOM!!! Another clap of thunder rumbled and shook the house. Kai tightened his grip on Taemin’s waist, nuzzling against the back of his head. He began to whisper sweet things in Taemin’s ear to make his best friend and crush and dancing partner feel better. 

 

Hey Tae. I know it’s hard, but you are doing an amazing job. You are helping your hyungs in infinite ways and I know that they will end up together just like they’re meant to. I’m sure of it. Tae, you’re caring and sweet, and everyone who knows you is very, very lucky. I’m glad we’re friends, Tae.

 

I’m glad I have you Kai. 

 

Taemin began to softly cry because of the emotions of the day and the fact that his now realized love, was there holding him, in his room, whispering the damn sweetest things in the world. It felt so natural to be held and cared for by Kai. Taemin’s heart beat very fast. The two stayed like that until it was time to go out with Sulli, Joon, and the now less emotional, but still crushed Minho. 

 

The five of them went out to a Chinese restaurant. Sulli and Joon were now together officially, but didn’t even show signs of it because they were cheering Minho and Taemin up. Minho sat in between Sulli and Joon, while Taemin and Kai sat on the other side of the table. They were all enjoying the meal a lot and Minho seemed to calm down a bit. Sulli and Joon knew that Jonghyun didn’t do anything on purpose, but the whole situation was still wrong, so they decided not to comment on it, and just let Jonghyun explain. 

 

After stuffing themselves, Taemin and Kai felt they needed to dance the calories away, so they went back to the dance studio, which was still open because Kai, who worked at the studio as well, locked up on wednesday nights, and could keep it open for longer for them, but still have the closed sign on so no one disturbed the practice. 

 

Joon, Sulli, and Minho, walked back to Minho’s house. Onew was now home from the hospital, waiting for Minho. Their parents were going out for a late dinner, so their mother baked a “feel better” cake for them to eat before they left. After dropping Minho off and saying goodbye to the Lee/Choi family, Joon and Sulli went to get ice cream, on their first real date alone. 

 

Onew and Minho watched Japanese slasher films the rest of the night, even though Onew had classes the next day. The power was out at the high school, so the three boys could sleep in the next day. Onew needed to make sure his little brother way okay.

 

Taemin came home from practice finding Key watching TV. Taemin decided to lay his head in Key’s lap and relax. Their parents were with Jonghyun, who needed ankle surgery in two days. 

 

After the last movie was over, Onew had fallen asleep. Minho would drive him to college in the morning if Onew was too tired. Minho on the other hand realized he couldn’t possibly just not go to see Jonghyun, so he went upstairs, fished the pieces of his ripped up confession out of his recycle bin (A/N: wow eco-friendly Minho) and began to tape the pieces back together, prepared to confess before Jonghyun’s surgery, because in all honesty, Minho could not live without Jonghyun’s presence in his life. 

 

A/N: I hope you enjoyed it! Isn't Kai so sweet? I love him and Taemin being all sweet and stuff. And gosh the boys must have been sooo cute when they were little huh? Thanks so much! :D