EIGHT

Soulmates: The Beginning [Edited Version]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joonmyeon went down the stairs, smiling to everyone who greeted him. It was his and his brothers’ policy to treat the maids and guards as their own family. And that was also one of the reasons why the servants like to serve EXO-K.

“Your Highness,” Advisor Yong went up to Joonmyeon. “The meeting has been set and will begin in 30 minutes.”

Joonmyeon thanked him before heading up to discuss an issue with Baekhyun. On his way there, he saw Jongin coming out of Minjung’s room. “Oh Jongin-ah.”

The younger male yawned while waving at his brother. Joonmyeon gave him a smile and headed towards Baekhyun’s room. “Hyung,” Jongin suddenly said, stopping Joonmyeon in his tracks. The crown prince turned around and saw a frown on his brother’s forehead, as if it was hard for him to come out with words.

“What’s wrong, Jongin?”

“It’s Minjung.” He sighed, finally saying something. Joonmyeon started to worry when Jongin mentioned her name. Yoon Minjung was someone who he had brought back when she was just a child. He cared for her and took care of her like a daughter. Although they look like siblings, Joonmyeon was in fact more than 100 years older than her. It was natural of him to think of her as his daughter.

“Did something happen to her?” Joonmyeon went nearer to his brother.

Jongin shook his head and ran a hand through his hair. “It’s just that.. I think something is bothering her but she’s not telling me anything. It’s like not I asked, though.” He mumbled the last sentence. “But I could feel it. She’s worrying about something and I don’t want to ask Baek hyung to read her mind because it would be disrespecting her.”

Joonmyeon thought for a while, wondering what actually could be bothering Minjung. She has been living a very carefree life ever since she entered the palace because Joonmyeon was always there to ensure she would grow up with no worries. There had never once been a moment where she had to worry. Minjung’s life was like the perfect example of how a princess in a fairytale would be and Joonmyeon wanted it to happen to her.

“I’ll try to ask.” He decided. “Go and freshen up. The guests are coming soon.” Jongin nodded and headed into his room while Joonmyeon went into Minjung’s.

He walked over to Minjung’s bed and saw that she was still sleeping. Her hair was sprawled around her, as if Jongin had not slept there just moments ago. Mumbling something, she shifted a little before resting on her left side. Joonmyeon let out a smile when he saw that. Because Minjung was petite, she looked like a child. Sitting on the bed at the spot beside her, he reached out and brushed her hair away from her face.

“Minjung, it’s time to wake up.” He gently shook her and she stirred in her sleep. Slowly, she opened her eyes to let it adjust to the blinding lights. Her vision finally focused on Joonmyeon and she gave him a sleepy smile.

“Morning appa.” Because she had just woke up, her voice was laced with sleep.

Joonmyeon felt his heart swell with love when she calls him ‘appa’. If he could, he would have adopted her but if he did, then the rest of EXO-K would be her uncles and he did not want that. He wanted Minjung to feel like they were siblings so it would be easier to for her to open up to them. After all, it is not like a niece would easily tell her feelings to her uncle.

“Minjung-ah,” Minjung looked at Joonmyeon while rubbing her eyes. “I will always try my best to help you if you need it. You know that, right?” Hearing his words, she stopped rubbing her eyes and pondered on whether she should confine in him. He was, after all, her family. And Kris was their enemy. It would be complicated if they clash and she was worried about both sides. She does not want to see EXO-K get hurt nor does she want Kris to be injured as well.

“Appa, what is a soulmate?” She asked, not mentioning Kris.

Joonmyeon wanted to smack himself when he realized that he had not spoken about soulmates to Minjung. It was like the mandatory education talk parents would always give their children.

“A soulmate is someone everyone wishes for. A soulmate is the one destined to be with you for the rest of your life. Vampires have a soulmate. It is whether he or she has the chance to find them or not. Your soulmate will be with you for the rest of your life. He will love you endlessly, protect you with his life and support you no matter what you do. He can never hate you because he loves you too much.”

“Is Eunmin omma your soulmate?” She asked, her eyes sparkling in excitement at the thought of someone loving her endlessly.

He nodded, “Eunmin is my soulmate and I’m glad I found her.” Love filled his eyes at the mention of the one he loves. “Your soulmate can be anyone. Child vampires cannot find their soulmate because they are too young but once they turn into your age, they are able to find their other half. The moment you find him, his scent will become distinctive to you and tingles will erupt at contact.”

“However, some people do not know that they have actually found their soulmate. It is mainly because of the mental blockage. I had a male friend who found his soulmate but he did not know because of the hatred he had for her. He didn’t believe her when she told him that they were soulmates. That anger caused the mental blockage but he finally got over the anger and forgave her. That was the moment he found out that she is the love of his life.”

Minjung thought about what Joonmyeon just said. The soulmates process was complicated and she does not really know how it works but it was not like Joonmyeon did too. Thinking about the symptoms that he mentioned, her mind immediately went to Kris. She remembered the tingles she felt when they touched and how his vanilla scent seemed to block everyone out. But it was impossible. She would have known if he was her soulmate. Even if she had the mental blockage Joonmyeon mentioned, she could not be 100% sure.

All she knows that she was with Jongin and she was more th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter