SIXTEEN

Soulmates: The Beginning [Edited Version]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing that greeted Minjung when she opened her eyes was the baby blue sky. It was filled with clouds that were so white and fluffy that it almost seemed surreal. She felt something beneath her tickling her arms and touched her surroundings, realizing that she was lying on grass. Sitting up, she saw that she was still in her pajamas. Beautiful trees, plants and flowers surrounded the clearing she was in.

Where am I? She thought as she stood up.

Just then, she felt something furry touching her leg, shifting her attention downwards. A small, red fox was circling around her, touching her leg with its paw every few seconds, trying to get her attention.

“Hey there, little once.” She squatted to its level and it sat down in front of her. Placing a hand on the fox’s head, she patted it.

“Follow me.” A voice rang through her ears and the fox got up. It made its way to the trees while she just squatted there, dumbfounded.

Did that fox just talked to me?

The fox stopped walking when it realized that Minjung still has not moved from her spot. “What are you waiting for? Come.” The same voice said and the fox continued walking. Dazed because she could not believe that the animal was really talking to her, she followed it.

The first thing Minjung saw when she entered the forest was actually small, sparkling stuffs that were flying around. When she took a closer look, she noticed that they were actually fairies. She did not know that fairies existed and only heard from them through the storybooks that Joonmyeon used to read to her. Strange creatures appeared and stared at her. For a moment, Minjung thought she was in trouble for invading their territory but that thought vanished when they bowed. It was like they were waiting for her all this while.

“We’re here.” The fox announced and Minjung’s jaw dropped when she saw what’s in front of her. There was a huge waterfall and butterflies were prancing around it. Different animals whose fur looked so silky bowed as well.

“Welcome to the Great Palace of Dreams, my dear.” A third voice spoke and Minjung felt her knees growing weak at the sight of the owner of the voice. It was not that she was scared, but she felt an overwhelming power that made her want to kneel in submission.

There was once that Baekhyun showed Minjung the portrait of Goddess Jaehye, the current vampire Goddess and also the owner of the Great Palace of Dreams. And the person who was in front of Minjung now looked exactly like Goddess Jaehye. They both had the same long, straight blonde locks. Their ocean blue eyes were also strikingly similar.

“Goddess.” Minjung kneeled on one knee and bowed deeply.

“Please rise.” Jaehye helped her up. Minjung thanked her before looking at her surrounding. “This is the place where I live and behind that waterfall is the palace where all of the dreams are. Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Minjung nodded. “This is the most beautiful place I have ever been to.” Jaehye smiled at her words before placing a serious expression on her face.

“Child, I’m sure you know what my job is.”

“Yes.” Minjung told her. After showing the portrait of Goddess Jaehye, Baekhyun had also explained that Jaehye’s job was to lead all vampires and sorcerers to a better future and that she is even more important than the King and Queen of the vampire world. The King and Queen lead all four continents whereas the Goddess leads the King and Queen. And many centuries ago, she defeated the creatures of the moon that threatened the lives of her own people and also the humans.

“After defeating those creatures, I’ve been here. And now I keep and cherish all the dreams of my children, including yours.”

“And you are going to defeat them one more time, right? Joonmyeon and Kris said that the creatures have returned and they are planning to extinguish our race again.”

Jaehye let out a soft sigh before looking at Minjung. “It’s true that it is the Goddess’ job to get rid of the creatures but what my children does not know is that a Goddess also have her limitations. We were once vampires too. Because of the fight back then, I used up almost all of my powers and I had to stay in the palace to recuperate. But being in here only gives me enough power to protect your dreams. I have no longer the power to go against the creatures.”

“But if you do not do it, then who?” Minjung felt scared at the thought of the creatures attacking her family and the North.

“It’s you, Yoon Minjung.” Jaehye gave her a warm yet sad smile at the same time. She knows how young and inexperience Minjung was in fighting but she had no choice. “You are the next Chosen One. You are the next Goddess who will successfully destroy all of the creatures of the moon.”

Minjung opened and closed it before opening it again, struggling for words. “Why me? I’m a nobody. I’m not a fighter. I’m not brave enough. I’m weak, Goddess.”

“Listen to yourself speak. Someone who is willing to reflect on her weakness is someone suitable for being a Goddess. You have a pure heart and you sincerely care for people around you. A Goddess need not need the skill to fight. A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter