Confidences and Ice Cream

A Perfectly Starry Dream ✰

Sang Hee’s POV

We had spent the rest of the day visiting other stores, eyeing their products with gleaming, interested eyes. It was the first time I had ever gone shopping with another girl my age. I was glad to say that I really enjoyed it.

There was just something heart-warming about having someone pick out clothes for you, who cared about helping you improve your self-confidence. I loved the feeling of discovering new clothes with Stephy, of commenting on what we each found pretty, of exchanging feedback on what we looked like in different outfits.

And I began wondering if she felt so too.

 

As we walked, connected by linked arms, the breeze slightly brushed our hair and made us hold each other even more in search of warmth. I liked the feeling of hanging unto her like a little sister.

As we realized it was soon time for us to finish our outing, we decided to stop by the park for some harmless yet essential chatting.

As we walked along the street towards the nearby park, we passed by a modest yet colourful tea shop. As Stephy looked in, her eyes immediately shone.

She tugged on my arm energetically, like a kid. “Sang Hee, let’s go get some ice cream!”

I looked at her with wide eyes. “In this temperature?! Nobody does that!”

“One more reason to try it! It’s an experience you wouldn’t want to miss!” she replied, enthusiastic.

I sighed, falsely exasperated. “Fine, fine. Only if they have mango milk ice cream!”

She looked at me with an odd expression. “Mango milk ice cream? Who sells that anyways?”

“Well, it’s rare, but it’s really good! I always search for mango milk ice cream whenever I can!”

“Nobody does that!” she said, imitating my voice with a shocked expression.

I laughed and nudged her. “Hey, don’t copy me!”

She didn’t reply anything and only smiled as she dragged me into the tea shop.

 

It turned out that they did have mango milk ice cream, out of all places. The old man behind the counter raised an eyebrow when we had asked him to give us some ice cream. We could only shrug while smiling as an answer.

He didn’t ask anymore though, as he gave us our orders. Stephy had ordered green tea mochi ice cream; it looked delicious, but I only craved for mango milk ice cream now.

As we exited the store and continued on our way to the park, it was only by then that I noticed that the sun had begun setting down along the horizon, coloring the sky with different colors from the usual daylight.

We soon reached the calm and comforting atmosphere of the park. Stephy locked arms with me. I smiled at her happily. It was a nice feeling, to walk with your best friend, as if nothing could reach you as long as your best friend would be there to support you.

We soon found a bench to sit on. I looked at her; she nodded.

We sat, side by side, enjoying our ice cream. Even though it was freezing outside, and the ice cream itself was incredibly cold, I only felt warmth on the inside.

 

But, as a few yellow leaves fluttered in front of us, led by the wind, my mind started to wander along my thoughts. And, soon enough, it found the memories of the past few days.

And in them dwelled Dae Myung.

I found myself wondering, yet again, if he was alright, if he was still hurt.

If he still cared.

 

I suddenly felt an arm surround my shoulders, as well as Stephy’s distinctive, relaxing voice resound. “Sang Hee, you know you can tell me anything, right?”

I slightly smiled. “I know.”

“So what’s wrong?”

I wasn’t sure if I should tell her. I didn’t want to bother her with my meaningless problems. But, at the same time, I just wanted to tell her everything that was haunting my thoughts, that was weighing down my heart.

 

I couldn’t help myself in the end.

“Do you remember Dae Myung?” I asked in a sad manner.

“Hm? The guy you considered as your older brother? What about him?” she said, curious.

I watched an ahjumma walk her dog along the road. “Well… He wanted more than just being my older brother…”

“Wait… He confessed to you?” she said, shocked.

“He did… But I really don’t know what to do, Stephy…” I told her in a pained, confused whisper.

“Well, how do you feel about him?”

I rested my head against her shoulder gently, closing my eyes. “I know I can’t return his feelings… You know I have someone else on my mind…”

“That’s right. But you haven’t spoken to Jonghyun again, have you?”

I smiled giddily. “I have… He visits me every time during practice, and he cheered me up after Dae Myung had confessed by phone…”

I felt slight movement in her shoulders, indicating that she had turned to stare at me. “What?! Jonghyun gave you his phone number?! That’s incredible!”

My smile grew wider, despite me. Hearing Stephy be so shocked reminded me of how much it was impossible for me to even have stayed in contact with him, an idol.

“Maybe you do have a chance…” I heard her whisper.

That phrase boggled my mind. The idea of being with him more than as friends was so far away and unimaginable in my mind. It even seemed almost preposterous to dare think of that scenario.

“I don’t, Stephy. How could Jonghyun, an idol, have any interest in someone as boring as me?” I told her reluctantly.

“Well, he did give you his phone number, right? And he visits you during practice. I don’t think he would do that if he didn’t care about you.”

Of course, seen in that point of view, it was probable. But I really didn’t want to get my hopes up. I didn’t want to believe something I knew would end up false either way.

“But, even if he did, it doesn’t change the fact that I have to answer something to Dae Myung…” I stated, trying to change the subject.

It worked, as she moved her hand off my shoulders to pat my head. “There’s only one thing I can say. Just be honest. When you’ll talk to him, tell him everything that you’re feeling and thinking. He deserves at least the truth from you, right?”

She was right.

But, even so, I didn’t want to face him. I didn’t want to see the hurt reappear in his eyes. I didn’t want to hurt him once again.

Because I knew the truth was going to injure him.

 

“He does deserve it.” I agreed sadly. I took a bite from my almost finished ice cream. “But I’m scared that our friendship really will disappear once I do…”

“I can’t guarantee anything, Sang Hee,” she admitted sadly. “But I have a feeling that, after everything you had told me about him, he won’t let you down.”

Hearing Stephy say that gave me hope. Deep down, I really wanted to believe that Dae Myung would still stay by my side, despite the pain I was inflicting on him without meaning to.

But I had no right to impose myself on him if it would only hurt him.

“I’ll try my best to tell him,” I said, trying to give myself courage. “Do you think he’ll be able to stay by my side, even though I probably can’t return his feelings?”

I felt her nod, her cheek against my head. “Even though it might hurt, I’m sure he would love to still stay by your side.”

I sighed slightly. “I guess you’re right. You sound so wise, Stephy. Even though you’re so random at times, you really do provide a great support.”

She laughed slightly. “Trust me, I’ve had a few issues with love. And, even now, I still do have one.”

 

Hearing Stephy, out of all people, having a love interest shocked me. It wasn’t because I didn’t see her with anyone. It was more because she seemed so wise and down-to-earth beyond her age I expected her to be aware of the dangers of love.

“You like someone, Stephy?” I said in a soft yet surprised tone. I sat up, staring at her with wide eyes.

“Of course! I might seem down-to-earth and random, but I do have a heart too, you know!” she said in a falsely exasperated manner. She then paused for a moment, before continuing on. “A heart that has been taken by someone…”

Now, I felt extremely curious. Who was this person to make Stephy, one of the most down-to-earth and supportive individuals in my eyes, be so lost in the hazes of love?

 

“What does he look like? How did you meet? Do you see each other often?” I shot her these questions rapidly, my curiosity hastening the pace at which they slipped out of my lips.

“I went to a nearby park to draw and improve my skills one day. And when I was drawing the landscape, I noticed a handsome guy sleeping amongst the greenery in front of me.” she said in a slightly more enthusiastic tone than usual. Her eyes gleamed with a distinctive interest. “So I started drawing him. Because he just seemed so peaceful amongst nature that way.”

I took the last bite out of my mango milk ice cream, smiling. “Aww, that’s so adorable!”

“But then he woke up, and he must’ve felt my gaze on him though, as he turned around and looked surprised. I was a bit disappointed that my model had moved though, as I had said unconsciously “Aish, he moved…”. He then asked me if he was blocking the view, but I only shook my head and showed him my drawing right after.”

I chuckled. “Did he think you were creepy?”

“Luckily, he didn’t! He said I drew well too… I didn’t think I would see him again, but turns out we live pretty close by. So we see each other every weekend around the same spot…”

I felt warm on the inside, hearing her story. It seemed almost right out of a drama. I was genuinely happy for her.

“I’m really glad for you!” I told her with sincerity.

“Thank you! I really hope things will get even better, from now on.” she replied with a radiant smile.

I returned her smile just as brightly. “I’m sure they will!”

 

Stephy was amazing. She had made me forget so easily about the worries that were plaguing me. All I felt now was pure giddiness at the thought that she had found someone.

And so we spent a great load of time discussing about many other things. I took this opportunity to learn more about her life, to catch up on wasted time spent on my own problems.

Even though we would soon have to separate, I tried my best to keep that thought away and to enjoy my time with her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But even the best moments had to come to an end.

We now stood at the corner of the two streets we had to separate at. I looked at her sadly. She only smiled at me encouragingly, holding the box of cupcakes.

Now that we had finally met again and spent time together, I didn’t want her to leave. I liked talking with her, goofing around with her. I immediately regretted not having had the courage to ask her to meet before.

And now she was going away for a whole week.

 

The sun had set. We could barely see it anymore, except for the remaining streaks of sunlight gleaming off the horizon. It was going to get dark, so it was safer for both of us to head home right away.

Seeing my reluctant attitude, she took my hands and held them; the box of cupcakes shook slightly as she did so, hanging from her arm.

“I’ll definitely text you once I come back!” she said, smiling.

“Take pictures for me, okay?” I told her, returning her smile.

“Of course! Don’t forget to be honest, alright?”

I nodded, hiding the reluctance I felt. I already felt scared at the prospect of having to face him without having her by my side to cheer me up.

She threw her arms around me and hugged me. I smiled and returned her embrace.

“I’ll miss you, Stephy!” I told her sadly.

“I’ll miss you too!” she replied with just as much sadness.

We then backed away. Her smile was now imprinted with a slight hint of reluctance. I really hoped that the week would pass by quickly and that she would soon be back.

 

She turned slightly, starting to take a few steps away in the direction of the street opposing mine. “Be strong, okay?”

“Okay!” I told her, waving.

She waved back. And, soon enough, she turned around to continue on her way. I knew it would only depress me if I continued looking at my best friend walk away, so I turned around reluctantly and walked.

And, just like that, our girls’ outing had ended.

I was left to face my worries once more, but today’s events hung clear in my mind and held the sadness away. As I walked home, my heart was free from any troubles, and life didn’t seem as bad.

Friendship between girls really was wonderful.

If only I could say this as well for the friendship between a guy and a girl, where the eventuality of love sprouting in one of those hearts was high.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun's POV

I fumbled with my cellphone as I waited for the other members to come back from practice.

I stared at myself in one of the many mirrors that were covering the practice room's walls. I was so used to seeing myself on TV and on the Internet that the so-said handsome features of my face seemed plain, normal in my eyes now. I knew how much many girls swooned over my traits, and yet it didn't do anything to me anymore.

I did remember how embarassed yet proud I was to have so many girls mark me as handsome, but now, it only felt like a routine, a regular course of procedure.

 

I looked at my messages, guided by boredom. I immediately saw Sang Hee's name flicker by.

I wondered if she thought of me as handsome.

Probably.

But for some reason, there was slight giddiness infiltrating my mind as I realized I actually liked the thought of Sang Hee being attracted to me...

 

But I quickly shook my head, consterned by what I had just thought. It was bad to think of any situation where the possibility that she would like me existed. Because I knew that, the moment the realization that she could like me that way would seize me, it would never let go.

 

 

Soon enough, after a while, I heard the door open, and a few loud exclamations from familiar voices were heard. I raised my head and stared with a smile as the other members entered with our dance teacher, joking around with him.

Key must've noticed my cellphone, as he quickly walked over, leaving the rest to their jokes, and stared at me intently.

"What?" I asked with an exasperated smile.

"You haven't been texting her, have you?" he asked reluctantly.

 

I knew it would be about this.

But the sense of betrayal reappeared. He couldn't trust me enough anymore, so he had to come and ask me such a futile question. Even though I did help her last time on the phone, we both knew I was busy. Therefore, we barely texted.

It was for the better: she wouldn't rely on me so much, and I wouldn't attach myself too much to her.

So why did Key have to worry so much? Where was the trust I needed?

"Not really. We both have our lives to take care of, right?" I answered, somehow sadly.

Noticing my saddened state, his eyes softened up. "Yeah, you're right. It's okay, Jonghyun. We know how you feel, so don't think you're alone, okay?"

He patted my shoulder then pulled me by the arm up. Soon enough, I felt myself soften up at the reminder that I wasn't the only one stuck in this situation that was known as idol status. I followed his lead and stood up with a somewhat forgiving smile.

No matter what, I really couldn't stay mad against these guys for too long.

We were together in this exhausting yet amazing journey, after all.

 

I set my cellphone into silent mode and put it in my bag.

Now if only I could erase this sentiment of emptiness that reigned the deeper confines of my heart.

Because it still felt like I was missing something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hurray, new chapter! <33

So... Who knew Stephy would have a love interest of her own? Well, I wanted to make it as realistic as possible, as you all know, and usually, the sidekicks do have a life outside of their best friend's life instead of always trying to make the main girl end up with the main guy, so I just wanted to show this aspect by their conversation. ~

Be ready for the next chapter guys, because it's going to be an intense one... <3

Thank you to all of you who have kept with this fanfic and for being so patient! I really try my best to update as quickly as possible, but I wouldn't want to fail my life either, would I? Kekeke~.