The Silent Listener

A Perfectly Starry Dream ✰

Sang Hee's POV

"Alright, pair up with the person next to you," the English teacher said to the whole class after a long session of individual reading. I froze in my seat. "Ask yourselves questions to learn more about your partners. Don't hesitate to-"

The bell rang for lunchtime. I loosened up and sighed out of relief. I couldn't bear to talk to anyone in my class. Everytime I was paired up with someone, I could see they were unhappy with it. It always hurt me so much, to see their surprise and irritation. I was always unwanted, always the person no one wanted to be with. As I looked back, I couldn't believe I survived all the other pairings.

As the other students got up to go to the cafeteria, I pretended to slowly arrange my books in my bag. I couldn't stand walking surrounded by them; it scared me. As they all left, I stopped my fiddling and took out some partitions I brought with me as well as my lunch.

It had been 2 weeks since the guerilla date. I missed him so much, but life never stops for anyone. I kept on going on the official fanclub desperately, clinging to his image. But it wasn't the same as holding his hand, as being with him. I felt so pathetic though, feeling this way about him, when he probably forgot about me.

Stephy had tried to cheer me up, but it was of no use. I knew she had good intentions, but even she couldn't cheer me up. I was really grateful for all her efforts, and it made me feel so bad for not being happy again. For the past 2 weeks, she tried so much and still hadn't given up. All the while, my gratitude grew even more and her efforts warmed my heart. She really was the best friend anyone could have.

I had went through all the stages: shock, longing, despair, anger. And yet, every time I went to check the calendar, I hoped for that notice for another guerilla date. It never appeared. Maybe last time scared the staff too much. It was all so confusing, strange. I never felt this before and, as this feeling hangs on to my heart, I had no idea what to do with it.

 

 

 

I got up and left the classroom, my partitions and lunch in my hands. I heard the faint ruckus of the cafeteria. I could never go there; their stares and remarks would lash at my heart. I remember the first time I walked in: I was welcomed with curious stares and hurtful remarks about the way I walked, the way I seemed heartless, the way I could never fit in. Never again did I want to face that again.

I continued on to a recluse part of the school. I had made my sanctuary somewhere else, a place where I could be alone and free of fear: the music room.

There was always no one there around lunchtime, for obvious reasons. As I closed the door behind me, my gaze rested itself on the classical piano at the other end of the room, silent, welcoming. I sat on the bench, set down my partitions on the piano and carefully put my lunch on my lap.

I started eating the eggs my mom made for me along with the rice. A string pulled at my heart, as I imagine my mom waking up early every morning to cook me this. With my free hand, I played a part of the partition in front of me: the title read Good Day from IU.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dae Myung's POV

"Wah~ Did you guys hear? I heard our director was having an affair with our Math teacher." one of the girls at my table gossiped.

"It's really typical of you girls to talk about rumors like this." a friend beside me replied.

"It might be true though! I think I can feel the chemistry between them when they talk!"

"This is a perfect example of why girls always make scenarios all in their head. And then you all go and complain we give off contradicting signals."

"It's not our fault all you guys are heartless!"

I rolled my eyes at their bickering. As if we had anything better to talk about though, being simple teenagers in a simple and modest high school in the middle of Seoul. I repositioned my glasses and, as I prepared myself to coolly tell them that no one really cared, my cellphone vibrated through my pants' pocket.

I took it out slightly and looked at the caller.

It read Umma.

Why the hell was she calling me now?

 

I got up and pushed my lunch towards my friend. "Here, free lunch. Eat it. Throw it out. Whatever goes your way." I then made my way quickly out of the cafeteria, into a secluded part of the school, taking my cellphone to my ear.

"Yobeoseyo?" I said, half alarmed, half irritated.

"Dae Myung, can you go pick up Kang Dae and Chung Hee from the daycare right after school? An important customer appeared, so I won't have time today. There's a chance I might get a raise too."

It wasn't the first time Umma called for something like this. I sighed and slowed my pace as I walked in the silent hallway. My footsteps resounded in the hallway, lonely.

 

"Alright Umma. Don't... overexhaust yourself, okay?"

"Don't worry about me, dear."

At those words, we hung up. What could I really say though? Being a single mother, she had always worked so hard for the three of us. I'd be really ungrateful if I said anything else.

My hand slumped down by my side, holding my cellphone. I closed my eyes for a second, in a futile attempt to escape reality.

 

A faint sound resounded. Or rather... faint music was playing.

I put my cellphone in my pocket and walked, guided by the soft song. As I approached, I recognized the hopeful melody of Good Day by IU; it was played with so much expertise it sounded just like the song itself.

Who could be playing at lunchtime of all times?

 

 

As I saw the music room a few steps away, it became clear where the music was coming from. The only missing piece to this mystery was the person whose hands created this. I slowly crept towards the door and peered into the room, curious. I didn't know what to expect exactly.

 

But there she was.

Sang Hee.

Sang Hee...

Sang Hee?!

 

What was that stuck-up and silent girl doing here? And how the hell can she out of all people be able to play like that? The way she played... There was something so enticing, so wonderful about it.

Here was Sang Hee, out of all people, playing so beautifully.

 

 

Ah, whatever. Why should I care about what she does at lunch?

Shrugging off all my interrogations, I leaned against the wall and let myself slide down. The essential was that there was soothing music being played and I could need a moment to myself right now. I dropped any thought regarding Sang Hee and her surprising talent and let my mind drift off silently, freely, tiringly.

 

 

And so, I stayed there for a while; so many thoughts passed by. Thoughts about my mom, my younger twin brothers, the emptiness I felt everyday, my "friends" whom I could care less about.

Heh, what kind of a life am I living?

 

 

The sound stopped to a soft halt as she finished playing. I couldn't tell exactly for how long I had been there, but I heard the piano bench being pushed.

I quickly snapped out of my daze and got up on my feet. I didn't want her to see I was sitting here all along, listening to her, as if I actually liked how she played. I quickly ran as quietly as I could, back into class.

 

 

 

 


I was back sitting in class, still a bit surprised by my discovery. Some things are better off not questioned. Soon after a while, she walked into the classroom, silent and mysterious as ever. For some reason, after hearing her play, she seemed more shy than stuck-up.

But whatever. I had more important things to worry about.

 


~~~~ *

 

 

 

"Dae hyung!" two voices called as I waited by the daycare gate. I immediately smiled as I saw my two younger twin brothers run towards me, smiling with the innocence of youth.

I picked both of them up in my arms and gave each a kiss on the forehead. "How was today?"

"Gweat! I did sqwares and twees!" Kang Dae, the energetic one, answered.

"That's good. How about you Chung Hee?"

"I drew the sky with Umma as an angwel," Chung Hee, the contemplative one, replied.

"I'm glad you guys had fun today. It's time to go home now, so let's say goodbye to Ms. Geum."

I faced the daycare lady and bowed kindly; Kang Dae and Chung Hee told her goodbye happily. It warmed yet pained my heart to see they were oblivious to the situation our family was in. As their older brother, I knew I had to be there for these two, to assure they always stayed as happy as young kids should be.

 

 

As we came home, I put them down and closed the door behind me. I looked around, thinking of the chores I had to do today.

What we called home was a small, modest, cramped apartment, which had 2 bedrooms (one for Umma and the other for the three of us) and 1 bathroom. I went into the kitchen and started to boil some water; it was time to make some noodles for supper. As I waited for the water to boil, I went into our bedroom to get Kang Dae and Chung Hee's pajamas, brought both of them into the bathroom and started to fill the tub with water.

"Dae hyung~, where is Umma?" Chung Hee asked.

"Umma's going to come home later. She has something to do." I answered, helping them take off their clothes.

"What is Umma doing?" Kang Dae then asked.

"She needs to help some people," I answered again, helping them into the tub then handing them a soap. "Alright, as commander Dae Myung, I order you two to wash yourselves using only this soap! Think you can do it?"

"Yes, sir!" they both eagerly said, giggling.

 

I went back into the kitchen; I looked at the now-boiling water, opened 3 sacks of noodles, then put everything in. You'd expect me to be able to cook, but nah, I can't cook much except noodles.

I really should start learning though. It's better for the kids to eat healthier food.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I can't believe I survived today. Actually, I can't believe I survived all the other days too. I had cooked food, helped Chung Hee and Kang Dae out of the tub, helped them eat, washed the dishes, put them to bed and read them a story. Now here I was, studying for Math on a dimly lit desk, as to not wake the boys up.

I looked at their angelic sleeping faces and a smile unconsciously appeared on my lips.

But since it was for those two, it's worth it.

 

 

 

I stood up and went over to their bed. They were both snoring slightly but they truly seemed happy; I planted a kiss on their foreheads then went back to my desk.

Jo eun bam, Chung Hee and Kang Dae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun's POV

It was pretty late by now.

But here I was, washing dishes since it was my turn. This was really my luck, to have to wash the dishes exactly the day we come back late from a handful of show recordings.

As I finished washing the dishes, I went into our room and found all four of them asleep soundly.

Lucky idiots.

 

 

I then smiled, because it looked like they had just fallen onto their bed and fell asleep immediately. I walked over towards them: I placed the covers over Taemin, took and placed the book Minho had in his hands on the bed table, did the same with Key's cellphone as well as with the music sheets Onew was holding.

I sat on my bed and watched them sleep, smiling. I should be recognized as the older brother in SHINee. Really.

I then lied down on my bed and closed my eyes. Many thoughts filled my mind: worrying about tomorrow's schedule, replaying the songs we had to learn, wondering how my parents were doing, remembering all the events that happened this past month.

Hey, talking about this past month... I wonder how she's been.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Hey guys~! I'm back with a new chapter! Right before my final exams too!  I'll probably write alot more during the summer, hopefully~. xD [Now I'm off to studying~.]

Are you guys surprised by Dae Myung's POV? It was the longest in this chapter, because it's somewhat of an introduction to him~.

As for Jonghyun's POV, I tried to show how he doesn't think that much about her but still slightly. Reality requirements and all. ~

Thank you all for your support! I'm always so happy when I read comments from all of you ^^

PS.: Jo eun bam means "good night" in korean~. Myung Dae said it to his adorable twin brothers, remember guys? <3