Eight

Falling for Femme Do Kyungsoo

Receiving Soo-Jin's positive reply to your invitation on Friday night is the last of the good things that happened for the next few days, because the moment you step into the lecture hall, Dr Song announces a mock test on Thursday.

Groans fill the hall and the lecturer clears before adding, "There's a new student joining us, a High leveled Psionic from our international exchange program, Tao?"

A tall, dark haired boy ambles in on cue, his face dark and expressionless.


You hear gasps and whispers of "He's so handsome!" "He looks cool!" around you and wonders whether you're the only one unsure what the hype is all about.

"Tao is also from Qingdao, which happens to be my hometown in China," She flashes a self-satisfied smile. The boy remains stone-faced. "He will join our classes from now on and since he's received numerous honors back in his school, I think he'll be a great motivation to all the students and I hope you guys can learn alot from each other."

Dr Song claps and the class follows clumsily.


"Tao, you can just sit anywhere you like." She urges him encouragingly and the boy returns a slight reverence.

The hushed murmurings start again as he approaches the aisle, scrutinizing the empty spaces and moving slowly and deliberately.


You can tell he is enjoying the attention lavished on him.

In a moment, his brooding eyes lock gaze with yours.

Before you can give him an amiable response, he gives a contemptuous smirk before settling down on a single empty seat across the room on the same row as yours.


You are taken aback by the offhand attitude and wonders what's up with the boy.

"What do you think?"

Amber nudges you on the arm as the lecture commences.


"Think of what?"

You flip open your notebook.


"The new guy of course!" She hisses lowly.

"Either he doesn't like it here, or I think he's got an attitude problem." You shrug.

"Why do you hate guys?" She frowns.

"I don't. He hates me."


Amber rolls her eyes.

"And how do you know?"


You cast a glance at the poker-faced boy, arms crossed and table void of any writing materials. 


Returning your gaze to your notebook, you mutter quietly.

"I don't like this."

_____________________


You think maybe your Powers has just advanced to include Precognition because the next few days is no short of hell.

You certainly don't like it at all.


On the basis of "training up for the mock test" and "showing the new student what S.M. is about", every day includes two hours of on-field training instead of the usual one hour.

A few students start to show Strains on the second day and by the third, more than half have difficulty keeping up their combat effectiveness. One of the telekinetics acting as variant is accidentally rendered into shock by a psionic blast and even Amber, who usually has limitless amount of energy, looks tired and listless.


"I don't think I'm gonna survive the next hour."

She huffs and slumps down on the floor.

You sigh and wipe away the perspiration that's already formed on your forehead.

"It's not like we have a choice. Plus the final exam in October is just shy of three months. It is a good time to start practising."


"When have you suddenly turned optimistic?" Amber gawks. "Besides, I don't think it's worth it to just impress some exchange student."


"Don't worry. Cos I won't be."

The two of you swing towards the source of that deep, emotionless voice and register the dark-haired boy striding up to you.


"But maybe you will prove me wrong." Tao's lips edge up into a half-smile as he fixes his gaze on you. There's however, no joviality in his eyes.

You suddenly think maybe you prefer him expressionless after all.

"___________ sshii, I heard that before your... unfortunate incident with Dr Song, you were actually the top student in Mental Powers class?"

The tight smile is still there.


"I-- " You begin, but is abruptly cut off.

"I'll look forward to our little exchange tomorrow. Good luck, 'cos you'll need it." 

He saunters away.


"What.. The hell was that?" Amber barks after a beat.

You heave out a breath.

"I told you he hates me."

 

 

 

 

 

__________________

 

Sorry for the late update! How do you like this chp? Heehee! And thanks for the subscriptions!